Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Guess the 2016 draft being crap makes me feel better about Denzel Valentine being crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Niwrad posted:

Guess the 2016 draft being crap makes me feel better about Denzel Valentine being crap.

Yeah, I hate the Papa John pick but I take some solace in the fact that the other guys I thought we'd take are all doing jack squat.

WCS regressing while a bunch of people after him are doing well hurts though

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's important to be able to shoot the ball into the hoop in the game of basketball, therefore I would take the Rockets roster sans Harden vs the OKC roster sans Westbrook

Yeah. Literally all the Thunder would be able to do is Iso Oladipo, Adams/Oladipo PnRs and post up Kanter.

Just typing that out made me physically feel pain.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The only lottery players that I thought would look much better than they have are Dunn and Hield. The fact that Ingram was number one on people's boards is so mind blowing. The lack of instant impact is why I thought a long term project like Bender should have gone so much higher.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

The only lottery players that I thought would look much better than they have are Dunn and Hield. The fact that Ingram was number one on people's boards is so mind blowing. The lack of instant impact is why I thought a long term project like Bender should have gone so much higher.

Probably same thinking that lead to Maker at 10.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

intro cinematic for the storyline is an animated version of Soulja boy's clearly fabricated story about shooting people coming into his studio

https://twitter.com/pigsandplans/status/816339804061245440

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://instagram.com/p/BO0CSpTDTT5/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Any Sacramento area Kings fans want to go with me to the game on Friday? I assume there are some here you just never post.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

This is my new favorite thing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

big boi posted:

But how do you define "valuable"?

A person's value is calculated by summing up how much would one would pay for one night with that person + the amount one would pay to stop one's worst enemy from having the same. This can lead to wildly fluctuating assessments of the same person's "value" from subject to subject and is why we refer to seemingly random, unverifiable and useless answers as "value judgments".

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

People laughed when I posted grainy footage of Joel Embiid taking free throws, but they're not laughing now, are they. The Ben Simmons hype train is leaving the station and it's time to hop on board!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

can someone dig up the posts making GBS threads on Giannis true believers because they are very good

The Glumslinger posted:

It'll probably be a ton of quotes from me, so just save the time and call me an idiot
There's dozens of them but actually 99% of them are by BIZORT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

There's dozens of them but actually 99% of them are by BIZORT

MV did a lot of cold-water dousing, but I think most people were less "making GBS threads on Giannis" and more "He might be really good, but he needs to learn how to play basketball first and that's not automatic".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Being wrong is okay

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Being wrong is the worst thing possible which is why it' sso bold and daring to make lots of dangerous predictions, like: in 2 years the Sixers will make the playoffs

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

Being wrong is okay
It sucks OP

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The key to being wrong is to keep doubling down on it until ESPN signs you to do studio analysis

e: OK if a little fluffy piece on the Rockets: https://theringer.com/inside-daryl-morey-and-mike-dantoni-s-houston-basketball-laboratory-8f5ccb6c6302#.mxojp7mme

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 3, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pull a chad ford and edit your predictions when no one's looking years later

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BUDDY!!

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/816389963751292928?s=09

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Look at Buddy when buddy get up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noice JOjo

He's a total beast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Do you mean that Bender should have gone later? Or higher like, second or first? Or higher like at a higher number?

I watch the Suns almost as much as the Lakers and Ingram already is playing well most nights on one side of the floor at least, whereas Bender arguably shouldn't be on the floor at all.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

Bender arguably shouldn't be on the floor at all.

And he pretty much never is! Coach Watson believes that a tanking team should be playing PJ Tucker 35 minutes a night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

And he pretty much never is! Coach Watson believes that a tanking team should be playing PJ Tucker 35 minutes a night.

Well, I was going to say after last night's injury to PJ that would be over but he's not even listed on the injury report so I guess he's fine.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was definitely calling Kevin Durant "The American Giannis" almost immediately but it might have only been in the super secret private basketball thread chat room that only select posters are allowed in.

If you're wondering how to get in to the chat room don't worry it's not a real room this is just a joke I'm making we're not really in there most days :)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Lockback posted:

Really? The Thunder are the 7th seed, so a bit below them? I don't see how a team of Beverly/Gordon/Ariza/Anderson/Capela is a .500 team at all, I'd think that team would be closer to the Mavericks. Maybe a .333 win percentage. Guys like Gordon, Ariza and Capela are having good seasons BECAUSE of Harden. You start asking those guys to carry the team I think they all turn into pumpkins.

That team would be fine if Gordon stayed anywhere near his current production with more minutes. I think they'd be the clear 8-seed above the Kings/Blazers/Pelicans tier. That said, I agree with your general point that Harden is the MVP and the sole reason they are in shouting distance of the 1-seed.

And much thanks to Dokmo for the answers to my questions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to get to get the 8th seed. Look at last year's teams and honestly say if the current Rockets with replacing Harden with Beverely is remotely a playoff team.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tae posted:

I think you guys are underestimating how hard it is to get to get the 8th seed. Look at last year's teams and honestly say if the current Rockets with replacing Harden with Beverely is remotely a playoff team.

It's funny looking at the Rockets now after Harden got shaqtin mvp and now he's after a real mvp, a lot of eye tests swallowing their words

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The 8-seed in the West right now is 14-19.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

Do you mean that Bender should have gone later? Or higher like, second or first? Or higher like at a higher number?

I watch the Suns almost as much as the Lakers and Ingram already is playing well most nights on one side of the floor at least, whereas Bender arguably shouldn't be on the floor at all.
I thought he should have gone to the Celtics instead of Brown who is a worse Stanley Johnson that is playing like a worse Stanley Johnson. The Lakers taking Ingram wasn't bad.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento is going to lock up that 8th seed at 37 wins once they trade Rudy for Brandon Knight or Goran Dragic

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Lowe did a Q&A with Jokic.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18400852/zach-lowe-qa-nikola-jokic-denver-nuggets-more-nba

quote:

Your older brothers are already famous in Denver. A few people said I had to ask about them. They are boisterous at games, and covered in tattoos apparently, right?

Both of them.

But you have none.

I think in the NBA, it's something new that a player doesn't have tattoos. That can be my thing.

They are characters, right?

They look like serial killers, but they are actually really nice people when you meet them.

JCW
Oct 22, 2008

chunkles posted:

and lest you think you can just chuck anyone with decent handles at PG and have them do what Giannis is, look at the cautionary tale of terrence williams

http://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/16/105787317/from-this-point-forward

I was so convinced that Terrence Williams was going to be a star. Absolutely loved him at Louisville.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oh lawrd

https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/816415678110531584

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

what the gently caress!!!! That looks fictional

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/816341228115533824

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dang, how was that possible

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

There was the night in his first season when Antetokounmpo’s agent at Octagon, Alex Saratsis, told him that a Bucks assistant coach believed he wasn’t working hard enough. “You can tell me I’m not playing well,” Antetokounmpo replied, tears in his eyes. “You can tell me I’m not doing the right things. But you cannot tell me this. I won’t accept it.”

:unsmith:

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
That certainly is a burger that encapsulates all of Barnes' interesting qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Paul Zuvella posted:

Look at Buddy when buddy get up.

He ain't even get up that far

• Locked thread