Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At this point the optimistic outlook is a shittier version of the status quo. Let Mango Mussolini gently caress up the economy like he wants to, throw in a dash of narcissistic man baby rage and congressional desperation and we'll get to show the world how some REAL fiscal austerity can destroy a nation. Government shutdown paychecks were delivered eventually. Don't count on it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JacksLibido posted:

So maybe wrong thread and I don't know if this has already been discussed but it looks like the NDAA is forcing BAH into normal pay so it's taxed, anybody have any insight on this?

http://www.aetc.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/5115/Article/1038676/fy-17-ndaa-impact-on-airmen.aspx

I really have no issue with this as long as they also consider on base housing a taxable benefit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pesticide20 posted:

He's constantly on Star Talk with Neil deGrasse Tyson and he's probably also been busy as the CEO of the Planetary Society

Everyone should listen to Star Talk.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Everyone should listen to Star Talk.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

psydude posted:

I really have no issue with this as long as they also consider on base housing a taxable benefit.

That would be hilariously bad for people stationed in expensive areas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

That would be hilariously bad for people stationed in expensive areas.

Then go to a cost of living based compensation model.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

It's a long time coming. I've yet to hear a good reason why dual mil should get free money. Just admit you're gaming the system and don't cry when the gravy train runs out.

Well it depends, BAH really IS a significant part of our income. If you work backwards from net, an 8 year Capt. with flight pay living in an area with ~1300/mo BAH, and whose state of residence doesn't have state income tax makes the equivalent of ~115k. Meaning that in order for a civilian in the same area (assuming that area has income tax) would have to make roughly that much to have the same monthly net. This is of course an estimate since a lot depends on medical insurances offered etc.

At that point Military pay is fairly competitive, 115k at ~32 years old is pretty drat good right? Well if we look at it that way, marrying mil/mil would in effect be a pay cut for each individual, since that BAH would essentially drop to $600, and the tax offset would further reduce the civilian equivalent. You wouldn't be getting a 7200 paycut, you'd actually be losing something more like 10k+ when you take taxes into account. Each member would then be making ~105k, which is still good but is less than their peers for no reason other than who they chose to marry. When you take the household incomes combined, that's a 20k paycut... wtf

In theory, removing BAH and making it a straight one pay for all isn't a BAD thing, so long as the math is done to ensure that BAH isn't just rolled into normal pay and taxed as is (which would be a pay cut) but rather overall pay is increased to take the increased tax burden into account. I highly doubt the DoD will do that, and some dude on reddit quoted a Paragraph D of section 604 as proof that the DoD can't increase base pay to compensate that way. I can't find that paragraph he's quoting though, so take that fwiw.

I also wonder how the DoD will account for the very real differences in cost of living.

psydude posted:

Then go to a cost of living based compensation model.

That's what BAH is currently used for and Congress doesn't like that.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 3, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

JacksLibido posted:

I also wonder how the DoD will account for the very real differences in cost of living.

They won't. They'll let the people who either love the service or are already too poor to risk losing the benefits stay in. Feel the weenie.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

JacksLibido posted:

Genuine question, what makes you think it will?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

They won't. They'll let the people who either love the service or are already too poor to risk losing the benefits stay in. Feel the weenie.

I could see them doing that for a year or two, but the AF at least has a MASSIVE retention problem with pretty much all their rated officers. They're already giving obscene amounts of money to pilots, I think if there's a few THOUSAND dollar a year paycut, which is what this could very well end up being, the services wont be able to hold enough people. They'll pretty much HAVE to give pay incentives to keep people in.

Godholio posted:

Genuine question, what makes you think it will?

I can see how that question looks like I assume the DoD will, I don't. I HOPE they will, I'm 9 years in going for my majors board in a few months and am pretty much resigned to doing my 20, I don't want a paycut but I'm assuming one is coming. If it's significant though I'll either take a medical retirement or go guard to ride out my time.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 3, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That won't matter. The AF has demonstrated over the past decade and continues to demonstrate that it would rather have cheaper inexperienced maintainers than retain older, more expensive ones. And money is basically a non-issue for pilots. The current bonus is almost half a million dollars and it's not loving working. A couple grand a year in taxes isn't going to do anything either way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
On one hand that sucks. On the other hand gently caress you if you're still in.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Trump inauguration: Clintons and Bushes to attend ceremony :toot:

quote:

Bill and Hillary Clinton will attend Donald Trump's inauguration in Washington DC, aides tell US media.
George W Bush and his wife Laura have also announced plans to turn up, saying they want to "witness the peaceful transfer of power".

Before Tuesday's announcement, Jimmy Carter was the only former warlord to have said he would attend the nation's 58th inauguration.
Another former White House incumbent, George HW Bush, 92, has already said he will not attend the event, citing his age.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

That won't matter. The AF has demonstrated over the past decade and continues to demonstrate that it would rather have cheaper inexperienced maintainers than retain older, more expensive ones. And money is basically a non-issue for pilots. The current bonus is almost half a million dollars and it's not loving working. A couple grand a year in taxes isn't going to do anything either way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's that high only for a 10year commitment, it's paid out over the entire 10 years (not 500k/year... if it IS 500k) and is taxed. Besides that though THAT bonus is only paid to 11F and 11B I think, ABMs get a smaller one (if one at all) and 12's get nothing. The AF is already predicting something like a 95% promotion rate for the 08 Majors board, I don't think they can promote enough fast enough to keep up with people leaving if the pay drops much more.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

JacksLibido posted:

The AF is already predicting something like a 95% promotion rate for the 08 Majors board, I don't think they can promote enough fast enough to keep up with people leaving if the pay drops much more.

:stare: At 95%, it's not even a selection process. I get that having people in cockpits is required to have the planes fly and all but there's no way that bodes well down the line in terms of leadership quality.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

bird food bathtub posted:

Keep in mind Trump only criticized the timing of the vote. He's cool with the content, just thought it was premature.

only if you take the absolute most cynical reading of his tweets....

quote:

“With all that Congress has to work on, do they really have to make the weakening of the Independent Ethics Watchdog, as unfair as it may be, their number one act and priority,” Trump asked over Twitter the morning after the surprise and secretive move by the House GOP.

“Focus on tax reform, healthcare and so many other things of far greater importance!” he added.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
We're all privy to bird food bathtub's frantic livejournaling of the death of our nation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Does that BAH thing include the GI Bill stipend?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

holocaust bloopers posted:

We're all privy to bird food bathtub's frantic livejournaling of the death of our nation.

yeah but thats how 'fake news' works.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's gunna be really weird opening one of my future kids high school history books (online lol books) and seeing tweets cited and poo poo

The future is gunna be weird

On my future child's AP History Exam

12. Which tweet is attributed to President Donald Trump? (Select one)

13. Which United States President was quoted as saying "Grab her by the p***y"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

On one hand that sucks. On the other hand gently caress you if you're still in.

gently caress you that's what GI Bill people live on

Like holy gently caress that's a massive stealth BAH cut if that's true, like "most of my friends will no longer be able to afford rent" massive cut.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Local but one of my all-time favorite politicians has thrown her hat in the ring for Michigan governor.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/03/whitmer-first-jump-into-2018-michigan-governors-race/96116246/

I might actually work on this campaign. I'm excited.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

drat. I was holding out hope that they'd snub him.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jarmak posted:

gently caress you that's what GI Bill people live on

Like holy gently caress that's a massive stealth BAH cut if that's true, like "most of my friends will no longer be able to afford rent" massive cut.

I dont believe the GI Bill housing is funded exactly like BAH. It's the same amount as E-5 for the area, but it isn't BAH. Vasudus?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

drat. I was holding out hope that they'd snub him.

Ringside seats for the trainwreck? I'd accept. :munch:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's not BAH, it just uses that rate. It's also a benefit, not income.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

yeah but thats how 'fake news' works.

If someone uses hyperbole to describe a person or group of people it's usually pretty safe to let it go. Trump tweets and peoples' responses to them are just great big slap fights.

On BAH: the military will survive without the "experienced" people. It basically drives them out already. Maybe this will just get rid of all the married people though, then we can just get rid if bah all together and invest that money into decent barracks. I actually hate that idea, but I'm trying to be realistic as a tax payer.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

If someone uses hyperbole to describe a person or group of people it's usually pretty safe to let it go. Trump tweets and peoples' responses to them are just great big slap fights.

On BAH: the military will survive without the "experienced" people. It basically drives them out already. Maybe this will just get rid of all the married people though, then we can just get rid if bah all together and invest that money into decent barracks. I actually hate that idea, but I'm trying to be realistic as a tax payer.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens to the military healthcare system when it's no longer 90% pregnancy/pediatrics.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

I just want others to suffer as I have.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You know this won't get rid of the married people because if they were smart enough not to enlist and knock up some random chick and tie an anchor to their life and upward mobility they would've already gotten out

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

It's not BAH, it just uses that rate. It's also a benefit, not income.

Correct, but I'm also not sure how the new laws are worded. So probably 90% safe? I don't know.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JacksLibido posted:

Well it depends, BAH really IS a significant part of our income. If you work backwards from net, an 8 year Capt. with flight pay living in an area with ~1300/mo BAH, and whose state of residence doesn't have state income tax makes the equivalent of ~115k. Meaning that in order for a civilian in the same area (assuming that area has income tax) would have to make roughly that much to have the same monthly net. This is of course an estimate since a lot depends on medical insurances offered etc.

At that point Military pay is fairly competitive, 115k at ~32 years old is pretty drat good right?

Most pilots don't get paid that well, so yes, it is. For the rest of the military, officer pay is not competitive compared to the market rate for comparable positions of management.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

psydude posted:

Most pilots don't get paid that well, so yes, it is. For the rest of the military, officer pay is not competitive compared to the market rate for comparable positions of management.

I would say it's significantly harder to get into equivalent positions though. Of all the people I know who've gotten out at their 8 year mark (I'm a 12R), every one of them has taken a pay cut. I don't have a single friend from college or who got out of the AF who makes more than me, barring pilots who got out at 10 to fly commercial... but you're talking management.

The pilots I know who get out at 10 don't have any trouble getting picked up for a national carrier, Southwest etc. While they take a paycut in the beginning after 5-7 years they're on par with their military friends, then from there they just flat out make more.

Sir Lucius posted:

As a taxpayer you SHOULDN'T want people in Barracks. People in barracks = 1 single contractor (who probably got that contract through corruption) getting paid. With BAH it's pretty much your tax dollars paying military salaries paying rent to local businesses/buying local housing. Your money is going back to the local community rather than some contractor who's overcharging because they have a general/senator friend keeping them with the contract.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 4, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/816452807024840704

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/816425182269231104

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie really doesn't realize how angry he's making the Intelligence Community.

And why you really shouldn't be angering the Intelligence Community.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie really doesn't realize how angry he's making the Intelligence Community.

And why you really shouldn't be angering the Intelligence Community.

9/11 was good for Bush, I don't think trump really cares. Nothing happens and he's doing a good job and something does he has more ammo for his hate machine and might get more people to step in line

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I really hope trump isnt playing some crazy 13 dimensional chess and we've been underestimating him for forever

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I really hope trump isnt playing some crazy 13 dimensional chess and we've been underestimating him for forever

I despise the man for a wide variety of reasons, and doubt he has the mental capacity to even reason the idea of dimensional chess, let alone maestro any. But if that is the case, I'd have to gain an fraction of a percent of respect for him.

In reality, it's the gop running the show for a few years. He just gets to play puppet while ALEC and the like go to work loving poo poo up that the house and senate will just vote yea on anyhow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

JacksLibido posted:

I would say it's significantly harder to get into equivalent positions though. Of all the people I know who've gotten out at their 8 year mark (I'm a 12R), every one of them has taken a pay cut. I don't have a single friend from college or who got out of the AF who makes more than me, barring pilots who got out at 10 to fly commercial... but you're talking management.

The pilots I know who get out at 10 don't have any trouble getting picked up for a national carrier, Southwest etc. While they take a paycut in the beginning after 5-7 years they're on par with their military friends, then from there they just flat out make more.

Well you did join the Air Force. As a counter example and general service elitism everyone I know who got out of the Navy after 6 or 8 years got a pay raise doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
took it to PMs since it has nothing to do with the thread

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 4, 2017

• Locked thread