Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a NDA? I've seen people streaming it.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an NDA, I'm in the beta and saw nothing of the sort and they even post patchlogs and game details on their twitter feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gwent standalone is fun. There definitely isn't an NDA, cf. the gwent subreddit, gwentdb.com, the thread on these very forums about it.

It's a little bit of a bumpy ride right now due to business model and balance issues. If you were a new player coming in now I would expect a ~50 dollar buy-in of packs to be necessary to avoid being ruthlessly curbstomped. The game lacks a large mass of free-to-play people in the matchmaking system, so you run pretty much instantly into people running expensive optimized decks. Speaking of which there is a fairly broken deck which will hopefully be nerfed soon but kind of has the metagame out of whack right now.

That said it's unabashedly a work in progress and I really enjoy it. I already find it a lot more fun than hearthstone and its clones and it still has a ways to go before release.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what do I do when I've go the quests to prove my virtues to get the fancy sword in the lake? There is no quest markers or anything. All I can assume is there are hidden quests I have to uncover, but there's really a lot of clues about where, just what i need to do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You have to complete the other quests in a certain way. So when a dialogue option comes up that looks compassionate, take that. That's the only one I know actually, I'd already fulfilled the other ones just while questing before finding the virtues one. There's a good few flags for each, so you should be fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's actually harder than it sounds, because in the situations where you can be virtuous, being a dickhead instead can be really funny. Screw you messenger boy, I earned those five crowns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah, I play Geralt as being partially Wolverine and partially canon, like he won't take more money than he was offered, and will refuse if there is an option. But he'll gently caress up people who deserve it and bang anything warm.

So i'll probably do it just by playing that way.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was lead to believe that in the 'act 2 revisit people' part of the game I'd be going around sidequesting a bunch, but... it was just talking to people and them either saying "piss off" (Dijkstra, Emhyr) or saying "yeah man we're cool". Am I missing something? I thought there would be a bunch more sidequests pop up suddenly for each one or something.

The only sidequests I'm intentionally ignoring are Gwent and racing, and I'm level 25. The only side quests I've left undone feel too high-level for me, like Tower Outta Nowhere and some high level contracts.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

bewilderment posted:

I was lead to believe that in the 'act 2 revisit people' part of the game I'd be going around sidequesting a bunch, but... it was just talking to people and them either saying "piss off" (Dijkstra, Emhyr) or saying "yeah man we're cool". Am I missing something? I thought there would be a bunch more sidequests pop up suddenly for each one or something.

The only sidequests I'm intentionally ignoring are Gwent and racing, and I'm level 25. The only side quests I've left undone feel too high-level for me, like Tower Outta Nowhere and some high level contracts.

You probably did those sidequests before, or in case of Emperor/Dijkstra failed in their missions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah, Emhyr never helps.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

Nah, Emhyr never helps.

And as I found out, Dijkstra needs you to find his gold but he only gives you some gold anyway. I still got the Full Crew achievement anyway.

e: and I found one of the greatest new-ish mods to install once you've completed Velen's questline:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1962/

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 3, 2017

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I own both expansions now. :woop:

I don't need to start a fresh file to access them as I play through do I? I'm somewhat early on in Skellige doing basically everything I can find and I'd rather not replay that much of the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nope, slot into in progress saves perfectly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

mlmp08 posted:

I have 118 hours, and I'm early into Skellige and am sitting at level 24.

I play games real slow. And read all the books.

I have 408 hours across 3 playthroughs. I got all those achievements, though!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Ugato posted:

With an SSD it's incredibly fast (playing through the game again now, actually). I think it still reloads some assets (probably while resetting flags in the engine or something). There's still some waiting from continent to continent - or long distance anyway. But just loading last save in often barely enough time for the loading screen to appear. Are you on PS3 or a not-so-great computer or something?
XBox One. It's not so bad when manually choosing a level to go to, but for some reason when I die and 'reload last save' it takes forever.

I bitch, but the game rules so far, it really scratches an itch I've had since Skyrim (I, uh, don't play many games). The last game I played for any amount of time was Fallout 4, so it's refreshing as hell to see so much color,, everywhere.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So I think I like this game more than my favorite RPG Baldurs Gate 2.

That's all I have to contribute today.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Norns posted:

It's just a natural grimdark progression.

In BG2 you put a baby in your inventory, while in Witcher 3 you put a baby in the oven.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Norns posted:

Hell, same, brother.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I bought this game a while back because of the PYF little things in games thread and could never get into it much. I kept hearing so many good things about it that I said gently caress it and tried again and I'm glad that I did.

I'm finally getting to Skellige after telling Triss to piss off. The sex on a stuffed unicorn scene was pretty :stonk: but I had a good laugh at the dialogue. Otherwise I'm loving the hell out of the game.

I'm up to the point where (I know this is an older game but I also know that there are other people in this thread that are playing through and are near or at the same point I am so not spoiling anyway) I have to go save the Craig on Crack guy's son from the Ice Giant and will soon go to do the same with the daughter and her quest. It really seems like they're setting it up for me to make the decision on who will be crowned king/queen. Especially because everyone seems to want to give me their opinion on how they think either would be as a ruler. Am I guessing right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Joey Freshwater posted:

I bought this game a while back because of the PYF little things in games thread and could never get into it much. I kept hearing so many good things about it that I said gently caress it and tried again and I'm glad that I did.

I'm finally getting to Skellige after telling Triss to piss off. The sex on a stuffed unicorn scene was pretty :stonk: but I had a good laugh at the dialogue. Otherwise I'm loving the hell out of the game.

I'm up to the point where (I know this is an older game but I also know that there are other people in this thread that are playing through and are near or at the same point I am so not spoiling anyway) I have to go save the Craig on Crack guy's son from the Ice Giant and will soon go to do the same with the daughter and her quest. It really seems like they're setting it up for me to make the decision on who will be crowned king/queen. Especially because everyone seems to want to give me their opinion on how they think either would be as a ruler. Am I guessing right?

Yes.

Also depending on which you do first, it will change the dialogue in one of them, assuming you do the bonus part of it and rescue an NPC. Trying to keep it vague since I literally finished that whole storyline last night (and it was rad as hell).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Yes.

Also depending on which you do first, it will change the dialogue in one of them, assuming you do the bonus part of it and rescue an NPC. Trying to keep it vague since I literally finished that whole storyline last night (and it was rad as hell).

Well I did the son's first. I did save the archer guy but didn't save the guy in the ice giant's cage because I took the advice of the son to leave him in there Is that who you're talking about?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm getting sucked into this game again, and I'm trying to do a Triss romance this time. Problem is, it just seems so perfect with a Yen playthrough. Those of you who go for Triss, sell me on why she's better than Yen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I didn't go with Triss, but I can see why someone would. Yen definitely gave me a bad first impression by lying to me and everyone else a lot, stealing stuff from Ermion who seems to be a pretty swell guy, and cursing the temple of Freya with horrible necromancy. It's a heck of an uphill climb from there.

Triss comes across a lot better at first, especially if you don't know how appallingly she lied to and manipulated Geralt back in Witchers 1 and 2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Geralt should Go His Own Way imo

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm getting sucked into this game again, and I'm trying to do a Triss romance this time. Problem is, it just seems so perfect with a Yen playthrough. Those of you who go for Triss, sell me on why she's better than Yen.

I went Triss because I like how Geralt responds to their relationship. He's more youthful, more alive. I need to do a Yen playthrough for a proper contrast though.

I'd committed to Triss by the time I got to Skellige, anyway. Yen didn't really show any emotional availability or intimacy until I'd already started the Djinn quest. It was too late for her by then.

TL;DR Triss encourages traits in Geralt that I think are good for for him.

She's quite hot too, this helps.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triss comes across as a much better person than yennefer in the witcher 3, but yennefer is a much better fit for geralt because they're both jaded, sarcastic old people

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Digirat posted:

Triss comes across as a much better person than yennefer in the witcher 3, but yennefer is a much better fit for geralt because they're both jaded, sarcastic old people

This is why Triss I picked Triss actually! The Triss/Geralt epilogue slide is just :3:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Digirat posted:

Yeah, for me it's a thing of old relationship/new relationship. Triss and Geralt are all moony-eyed and romantic, while the Yen relationship is that relationship where you've been with the same person for ten years and you just get each other, and settle in for a evening at home where you just crack open a couple of beers, watch TV, and then have sex on a stuffed unicorn.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yennefer and Geralt have a pun war. Therefore, they were meant to be.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

jackpot posted:

XBox One. It's not so bad when manually choosing a level to go to, but for some reason when I die and 'reload last save' it takes forever.

I bitch, but the game rules so far, it really scratches an itch I've had since Skyrim (I, uh, don't play many games). The last game I played for any amount of time was Fallout 4, so it's refreshing as hell to see so much color,, everywhere.

After testing a bit (really just paying attention while I'm playing) I think it's just the "load save" function takes a while. Probably has to do with how they create/refresh the world and flags in it. Loading a save you JUST made usually fixes weird bugged states Geralt or NPCs/quest objectives can get stuck in. But it also takes noticeably longer. Fast travel within a zone, as long as it's reasonably close, is basically buffered by the fade -ins and -outs more than my actual required loading time.

Hitting F5 and loading a save to try and fix a bug (had to do this twice over the weekend), though, takes about as much time as moving between zones for me (traveling from Velen to Skellige for instance). Sucks that consoles still take so long.

Spikeguy posted:

Triss appears to actually like Geralt without requiring a quest to point it out. It was already said but I wanted to say it again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't go with Triss, but I can see why someone would. Yen definitely gave me a bad first impression by lying to me and everyone else a lot, stealing stuff from Ermion who seems to be a pretty swell guy, and cursing the temple of Freya with horrible necromancy. It's a heck of an uphill climb from there.

Triss comes across a lot better at first, especially if you don't know how appallingly she lied to and manipulated Geralt back in Witchers 1 and 2.

Eh, she doesn't use him in 2 much at all, though she comes across very poorly in 1 compared to Shani. In 1 she's basically the Yennefer while Shani plays her role in 2 and 3. In 2 her only great sin is one of omission, namely continuing to keep Geralt in the dark about Yennefer and the Lodge because her loyalties are torn and she's totally fallen in love with him.

Triss is way more selfless than Yennefer and actually outwardly admires and respects Geralt. Her insecurity and failings are mainly in herself and others' perception of her. Whether or not she will be seen as a good person or is actually doing the morally "right" thing while still doing what's "best" for the Northern Realms and/or mages (with these two often at odds, causing her conflict) is essentially her main preoccupation and character arc. In 1 she's pro-Mage at all costs, in 2 she begins to be torn on her loyalty to the Lodge/Philippa/Yen and her love for Geralt. In 3 she's basically accepted that the Lodge was dumb as gently caress and caused its own problems, and that despite her best efforts Geralt still dropped everything to pursue Yen like a lost puppy even though she treats him mostly like garbage.

Yen, on the hand, is also extremely insecure and secretly does care what everyone thinks of her, but she puts on this air of rude indifference and refuses to let people in, including those who genuinely have her best interest in mind, namely Geralt. She's ultimately extremely selfish and always has been, and she rarely learns from her mistakes and chooses to blame others or circumstance instead of taking responsibility for the lovely things she does and says.

Really, Triss in 1 is closer to the books, but it's clear they wanted to show some actual opposites and adjusted Triss heavily over the three games to provide more of a counterpoint to Yen. What instead happens is that Trias grows a lot over the course of the three games while Yen basically doesn't. Really it says the most about Yen's character when it's made clear that she knew Geralt was alive and made zero effort to find him for the last two games.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Yen, on the hand, is also extremely insecure and secretly does care what everyone thinks of her, but she puts on this air of rude indifference and refuses to let people in, including those who genuinely have her best interest in mind, namely Geralt. She's ultimately extremely selfish and always has been, and she rarely learns from her mistakes and chooses to blame others or circumstance instead of taking responsibility for the lovely things she does and says.

Except for the part where she does literally the opposite of what you're describing on skellige and personally shoulders the blame when the priestesses are pissed about the whole necromancy thing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Did you miss the part in 2 where Letho tells Geralt that he and Yennefer were captured by the Emperor down in Nilfgaard? Yennefer has been a prisoner, a well treated one, but a prisoner of the Emperor nonetheless. When she was free to go and look for Geralt she finds out that he is with Triss, her best friend. poo poo like that hurts, so she stayed away. Until the start of 3 where she had to swallow her pride because she knew that Geralt was the best bet to help her complete the task given to her by Emhyr, to find Ciri.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also, "no honey I was only dicking your best friend because I had magical amnesia that for some reason you didn't have, despite going through the same trauma, I guess!" Is a really lame excuse whether it's true or not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also, "no honey I was only dicking your best friend because I had magical amnesia that for some reason you didn't have, despite going through the same trauma, I guess!" Is a really lame excuse whether it's true or not.

I hate the term gaslighting, but in this case it does fit what Triss did to him. Also I believe the reason why Geralt suffers from amnesia is that unlike Yennefer he got conscripted into the Wild Hunt, and escaped through some sort of trans dimensional escapades that scrambled his brain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yennefer's brain was also scrambled by the Wild Hunt, but unlike Geralt, when she and Letho's Witchers were arrested, she was taken immediately to Fringilla Vigo and the other Nilfgaardian sorceresses, who put her mind back together properly. Geralt, on the other hand, had only the Witchers, who don't do brain surgery too well, and Triss, who saw an opportunity to live her fantasy life at Geralt's expense.

I feel like the dimensional jump the Wild Hunt does scrambles people similar to artifact compression. When Triss was turned into a statue in Witcher 2, and then thawed out again by Fitz Oesterlen, she was in immense pain and could barely remember who she was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aside from her lousy alt-outfit and the weird breathy voice acting in W3, Triss is still the best.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I feel like Triss' voice actress couldn't pick an accent and stick with it. I had to look it up to make sure they didn't swap actresses during recording.

Plays well with her being duplicitous though. Story aside, the voice acting alone was reason enough for me to put her on a slow boat.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got the GOTY during the sale and I have to say I'm enjoying it way more than 1 or 2, which I kinda stopped playing (1 after the swamp, 2 during Floatsam), but I feel like I'm permanently poor?

I finished up White Orchard, got 150 coins for killing a griffin and had to spend 69 repairing my euqipped poo poo. The merchant has 4 Gwent cards for 50 coins each (!!), and even taking items apart for crafting is expensive.

I have to confess I have been hoarding a bit though, probably a reflex from 1 and 2, but now I see that potions, bombs and oils only need to be created once, so is there anything I should be selling outright instead of dismantling/keeping for crafting? Any way of making coin outside of contracts?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Got the GOTY during the sale and I have to say I'm enjoying it way more than 1 or 2, which I kinda stopped playing (1 after the swamp, 2 during Floatsam), but I feel like I'm permanently poor?

I finished up White Orchard, got 150 coins for killing a griffin and had to spend 69 repairing my euqipped poo poo. The merchant has 4 Gwent cards for 50 coins each (!!), and even taking items apart for crafting is expensive.

I have to confess I have been hoarding a bit though, probably a reflex from 1 and 2, but now I see that potions, bombs and oils only need to be created once, so is there anything I should be selling outright instead of dismantling/keeping for crafting? Any way of making coin outside of contracts?

You're super early in the game, money will stop being an issue shortly. Just sell everything, the best gear is crafted Witcher stuff so there isn't much point in hoarding things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yen better. She got black hair.