Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

/r/polyamory has a stickied thread for selfies of polyamorous groups of redditors and its really done a good job giving me a mental image of relationships posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hey its aziz ansari

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Me [35M] with my "child" [15F] who reached out to me, seemingly randomly. How exactly do I handle this?

quote:

Hi, looking to get some advice on how to handle a sensitive, family situation. I'm not familiar with this subreddit, but am with reddit. I found this forum through google search, after reading a somewhat similar account from another user years ago. I wasn't able to comment on that thread, so I am creating my own. This is my first post to reddit.

I'll try to be concise, and explain the situation that I'm in and what I'm hoping to find in terms of advice.

I'm 35/m, divorced, and I have a 3 year old son with my ex-wife. We've been separated since our son was about a year old, and recently officially divorced. We are on good terms, and have a good parenting relationship. My son is my world, and I'm the parent who posts maybe a couple too many pictures of his son.

Two days ago, I had a flurry of notification from the app, Instagram, of comments by an unknown person on my pictures. The comments were fairly uh, venomous, and called me a hypocrite and a number of nasty words. The comments were publicly visible and on ~5 of my posts. The comments spoke to the fact that I wasn't a parent to an older child, and thus a fraud and everyone needs to know.

When I was 19, I was involved in a semi-successful band and was an all-around douchebag. No one has heard of the band and it didn't amount to anything, but at the time it was kind of a big deal and I took advantage of the perks. I was a douche to women, and again, an all-around not good person.

During that year, I apparently impregnated a girl I was "talking" to. When she told me she was pregnant, I told her get an abortion. There wasn't anything else said, and no other options were discussed. I said get an abortion immediately when she told me, and told her I would pay for it.

She didn't. I made it very clear we weren't together and I wasn't ready for that sort of commitment. I didn't really speak to her much, after the I'm pregnant discussions. She told me at some point, or maybe I heard from a friend, that she was placing the child for adoption. I didn't care. I wasn't familiar with the concept of child support or aware of being a parent, and I just didn't think much of it. It wasn't something that mattered to me, at the time.

Several years go by, and I honestly don't think about the situation. It may seem difficult to believe, but that wasn't something that mattered to me and I buried it and tried to forget about it. This was in the pre-facebook era too, so there wasn't any real updates beyond word of mouth, and we stopped having mutual friends.

I moved away from the area in 2001, and lived the dream for a bit. Then wised up, went back to school and graduated in 2006. Started working a real, adult job and started making good money, got married, recession hits and I went back to school for my MBA, got a great new job, had my son, got divorced, and present day.

I did do some research into that situation about ~3 years ago, just minor facebook stalking and seeing where everything was. I couldn't find the child's facebook page, but the mother and her seemed happy. It was obvious that the woman from years ago hadn't given her child up for adoption, and was being a mother. They seemed happy enough, and were in the same area. I just let sleeping dogs lie and didn't pursue anything.

There was a bit of that proverbial, bullet whizzing by you, feeling when I realized nothing had gone horribly wrong and I hadn't been hosed by that situation. It could have been so much worse, and for me it's been all right. I've never had to pay child support, it's never been outed, and it's been my dirty little secret.

I think looking back, it isn't even a certainty that the child is mine. It could be, but it also could not be. I was sleeping with multiple girls during the time I was with that child's mother, and who knows what she was doing. But who knows, right? I did do the comparison game in 12' when I stalked, and I thought the child did look very similar to me, but there is some bias there. I just don't know.

So the comments are posted on my instagram account this week. The comments were juvenile and riddled with spelling errors and just immature. The tone was bitter and jealous and petty. There was a picture I took of my son "driving" my car, which is a luxury model, and a facetious caption.

The comment that was posted was, "Niiiice. A toddler gets a Mercedes and your first born dont get anything"

This same pattern continued through the rest of the comments. Usually something snarky and often hateful towards me or my son.

I researched the account making the comments and it appears to be the child from the 01'-02' situation. Or a very convincing fake. There are hundreds of pictures on her account of high school activities and local things from her and her mother's area. The year and last name match up. The account appears genuine just from the number of likes and followers and activity.
I didn't know what to do, and just deleted the comments and blocked that account. I received a facebook message a few hours later just saying, COWARD, from the same account.

That brings me to now. I don't know what to do. Do I engage this child, or just let sleeping dogs lie as I've been doing for a while. I think it'll blow over if I just don't do anything, but I also worry about this child causing me tension or drama.

I am sensitive to her position, and I understand it must be incredibly difficult to have been raised without a father. I don't want to appear cold-hearted but I'm on the West coast and have my own family and I can't do anything for her now. It is one of my great regrets how that situation went, and I want to raise my son to be a better man than I was. But I don't want to get involved in that mess or wade into any drama.

What would you do, in my situation?

Would you block and ignore, and let it be?

Would you engage the child, and try to create a dialogue? I feel like she is kind of, in a childish way, trying to start some sort of conversation. She must be aware of my existence, and the comments screamed, PAY ATTENTION TO ME. So I don't know there.

Do I try to contact the mother and inform her, and let her handle it? I worry about opening that can of worms, and would rather not.

Is there another possible response? If so, what?

tl;dr Years ago, as a teenager, a woman I was involved with became pregnant and had a child. I haven't been involved in the child's life and have moved away, and lived my own life. Was recently contacted via hateful comments on social media, by someone who appears to be that child. What do I do?

The OP posted:

The disconnect is that I chose to have my son, and have been involved in his life from day 1. I love him more than anything in the world, and I have a moral obligation to him. I chose to bring him into this world, and he is my legacy.
There isn't that same connection or obligation in the 00' situation.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Frog Act posted:

/r/polyamory has a stickied thread for selfies of polyamorous groups of redditors and its really done a good job giving me a mental image of relationships posters

OK, so here's one half of my polycule... My girlfriend (in the centre) is the pivot in this V
http://imgur.com/wfAJBLy

And me and my male meta have just become housemates, along with my other girlfriend. This is us getting the keys to our new house! <3
http://imgur.com/kBqJKNN

Meanwhile my co-habiting girlfriend has another partner in a different city.

I just realized polyamory is power gaming but for relationships.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
My [22F] boyfriend [27M] tickles other girls

We've been dating almost a year. He is kind of a jokester type. So usually when we are at a party drinking or in a social gathering he will find a girl that he knows well (a lot of the times the girl is also in a relationship) and tickle her or "playfight" by hitting her lightly. Its happened more than a few times and I'm having a hard time understanding it.

I'm not worried about him cheating at all. He obviously doesn't think its wrong because he does it right in front of me. For the most part it just weirds me out. I know that I wouldn't want a guy tickling me or hitting me if I wasn't dating him.

Can I get some perspective on this?

tl;dr - My boyfriend gives me a creepy uncle vibe when he tickles or playfights with other girls

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zelder posted:

And, like power gaming, is easy to screw up...

...so how long does this NRE last for? Kinda tired of dealing with it... posted:

long story short, me and my first girlfriend. we are both in our mid 20's. been together for about a year and she suggested opening the relationship because "we should live while we're still young". i was really hesitant ofc being as she is my first girlfriend at 24; it's not like i can just go out and pluck a new girlfriend off the girlfriend tree you know.

we talked and i read some poly stuff and the conclusion was "jason (that's me) you're just a silly insecure little man bla bla bla". whatever. fine.

what followed was 2 months where as i predicted she dated a lot and i mostly stayed at home doing my own thing. i think i got 1 date? after trying pretty hard and she never called me back so.

well now she has a new boyfriend which is great and everything but im wondering when this "NRE" will fade because i am f-cking TIRED of hearing about him 24/7, her texting him 24/7, and how this guy has taken over her life - she started playing piano again cuz apparently he's better than her at piano so now she has to get better. she has zero time for me. we havent had sex since they started dating (3 mos ago) because she needs to "process" - well okay. but a week ago your purse fell off the counter and condoms NOT MY BRAND flew out with your carkeys so what the gently caress is that lady?

i really cant deal with this anymore. the problem is i moved her into my house last year so its not like i can even get away from this or have any peace of mind. if shes not talking ABOUT him, shes talking TO him on the phone, or i hear the "ping ping ping" of their messaging. or her playing the piano. its like shes become a different person in the past 5 months.

Is Opening a Relationship a Good Idea posted:

First let me say I get that this is probably more suited to r/relationships but they're not always poly-friendly and I want to avoid other attacks.
Also I apologize for the wall of text.

My relationship is suffering from "intimacy issues". For 5-8 years my LTR (15+) lifetime partner has avoided some of the acts I consider crucial to our relationship such as kissing but not other sex acts because of our communication issues and frustration and what he cites as being too intimate to do when there aren't"enough good vibes". It's a never-ending cycle of whose negativity is the chicken or the egg.
I learned over time to"do without" these things I greatly desired ONLY with him out of respect for his boundaries eventually but not without a great deal of hurt at first because we were very passionate with all the "bells and whistles" in the beginning. I have never sought these needs elsewhere. I am loyally and utterly committed to him and never at any time, no matter HOW NEGATIVE we've become has MY desire to be intimate been diluted because he is my LIFE PARTNER- #1 PRIORITY!!!!!!!!

We've played together as a couple with a few close friends off and on for years (I am bisexual - possibly pan /demi and I was very openly playful with everyone we were close to when we met; we met through a threesome relationship and moved on as a dedicated couple) but jealousy has been a huge issue for me because of hurt, neglect and lack of communication, and now, years later, he's more than willing to get these needs elsewhere (at first while I was present during couple activities but lately he has allowed one of our couple activities to blossom as a singular thing w/o my complete ok) but seemed to feel entitled to it at first out of "self esteem issues". He has voiced his frustration that I was open to such things when he met me for years but doesn't seem to get how his avoidance and negligence along with other negativity have helped to create a pattern of frustration and insecurity.

This past year, we played as a couple with another couple and for the first time in years it was beautiful; we started to reconnect and grow together and communicate about so many intimate things openly and then he "misconstrued" the boundaries and communication guidelines we'd explicitly set and created a relationship on the side that I wasn't ready to accept. He's agreed to let that go for now but he's insinuating it's because we just can't be "that"couple rather than he ignored boundaries or assumed things that when analyzing our relationship and agreed boundaries - just weren't logical.

I love everyone. I can be opened again to lots of things but I need it to happen at home first before everyone else. Why light fires somewhere else when the home fire is burning out?

He incited solo/couple counseling for awhile (This was a huge step on his part!) and it was helping greatly but then our therapist moved just as we were making progress and he no longer seems as interested. I keep saying we should focus on "working on us" first and he keeps asking what that means and what that would entail as if it's a chore for him. He also keeps assuring me at the same time that with enough good vibes we could just be like we always were. When we have days where I voice frustration calmly or angrily he says I cause the avoidance; when we have good days, nothing changes.

I get that I've become a nag. I assure you I am NOT BY ANY MEANS shirking my responsibility in this situation. I am extremely verbal about needs/communication/distress etc. to the point that it's now driving us both crazy. I just think it's illogical to say I'm the most important priority and then to add people to this issue and expect things to be okay.

He insists we're going to be together forever without a doubt and that I don't understand that noone else is a threat (while he meets their needs and neglects mine).
I think we should seek counseling before we ever open our doors again.
Help!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Me [35M] with my "child" [15F] who reached out to me, seemingly randomly. How exactly do I handle this?

Congratulations, you're a father, and have all the obligations involved with being one. You don't get to handwave away a child.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zakharov posted:

Congratulations, you're a father, and have all the obligations involved with being one. You don't get to handwave away a child.

Well legally, he sort of already did.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Zelder posted:

OK, so here's one half of my polycule... My girlfriend (in the centre) is the pivot in this V
http://imgur.com/wfAJBLy

And me and my male meta have just become housemates, along with my other girlfriend. This is us getting the keys to our new house! <3
http://imgur.com/kBqJKNN

Meanwhile my co-habiting girlfriend has another partner in a different city.

Why did you do this

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Why did you do this

oh wait thats them!? i thought they were reposting without quoted!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Ranma Fan Art posted:

oh wait thats them!? i thought they were reposting without quoted!

Gosh I hope the latter

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gosh I hope the latter

me too but i just dont even know any more that last comment about power gaming i thought was a sarcastic remark but if it wasnt then :psyduck:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Mods change my name to powergaming polycule pivot please

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah please don't post examples of successful poly relationships tia

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dude is a huge loving rear end in a top hat for having the gall to even consider ignoring his daughter. No one cares that it was a different time and place in his life. You can't just handwave away a living, breathing kid that you conceived into the world, regardless of the circumstances. He should be happy he was never hit for child support. rear end in a top hat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Can't he get hit retroactively for child support? I was under the impression that's something you never really could get away from unless the kid was adopted out.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My girlfriend[18F] abuses me[19M] after one year together.

Hi all!

I'm just gonna delve straight into this 'cos this has been bothering me for a while now.

I'm with this girl who's 18 for over a year now. Things were originally great however, as time went on she became very insecure, jealous and just rather illogical.

My main problem that I'd like to address today is the abuse that I'm beginning to suffer from her. Originally it all started as jokes many months back. They were just harmless comments like 'You idiot' etc. etc. These were basically comments that were said in the right context and therefore everything was fine. As time passed by however she'd start to say things like that in the wrong context. For example, in an ordinary conversation she could call me useless and laugh at me. I'd try and laugh it off too but it was starting to be a bit too common and out of the ordinary so naturally I would ask her to stop and tell her that things like that were not funny nor were they alright to say. Soon after the arguments started. She could literally start an argument over anything. She's just so insecure.
Now, I consider myself to be very calm and collected, but she on the other hand is completely off the wall in terms of her emotions. During an argument ( 99% of the time over nothing and caused by her) she would curse and call me all sorts of horrible things and use degrading and humiliating language against me.

Of course she would apologise soon after and go on about how much she "loved me" and we would try and avoid such an altercation again. The evasions failed however and time after time they would keep coming. The main problem was that she was always the cause of these arguements and would sometimes even start them off from an ordianry conversation by insulting me or my family etc.

Things reached their worst however when she started the physical abuse. Originally it was only little pinches or so but now it's developed into full on attack. Just last week she completely overreacted out of jealousy (because of a friend I have that is a girl and that my girlfriend views as a rival). My girlfriend went completely mad and punched, kicked, kneed me, (in the b***) held me down and kind of choked e and even bit me so hard through my jumper that my chest and sides were actually slightly bloody and bruised so much so that a week later they were finally just disappearing.

The thing I don't understand is that I still really am into her and protect her and would even lie to protect her even though I know what she does and how she acts is wrong.

I'd really appreciate if somebody could give me some advice on how to deal with this.

Thanks

tl;dr: Verbally abuses me with foul language She is incredibly jealous She physically hurts me during confrontations

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm not sure what I'm being accused of but I was just posting something funny from the r/poly pics thread

I added the comment about power gaming

Edit: I'm actually a posting triad, and not formatting posts is my pivot

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zelder posted:

I'm not sure what I'm being accused of but I was just posting something funny from the r/poly pics thread

I added the comment about power gaming

oh thank christ

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's weird seeing this situation from the other side. Apparently a lot of guys take a mulligan on the first born.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also zelder is black

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Streak posted:

yeah please don't post examples of successful poly relationships tia

I somehow think that's not an issue.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

that's also true

times like this I wish awful yearbook was still a thing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

lol well what else are you gonna do, pee on the platform? Seems like the best of some bad options.

iirc that whole discussion was started because a poster was arrested for pissing on the platform

the tracks are a better option but not if you accidentally get the third rail

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/07/it-really-possible-die-peeing-third-rail-investigation/313543/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

that's also true

I always wondered, is that something black people find annoying about the internet? That white people seem to assume everyone there is white?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zelder posted:

that's also true

im glad its not i got called names :ohdear:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pick posted:

I always wondered, is that something black people find annoying about the internet? That white people seem to assume everyone there is white?

eh it's not my favorite thing but I get why people default to it. In "things that annoy black people" I'm going to give it 3.8 microgressions. The more annoying thing about the internet is when you way in ~ as a black person ~ and people just assume you're lying/making poo poo up to rile people. The internet isn't segregated, people!

and sometimes it's not just black people who assume everyone is white, I got into an e slap fight with tiny Bronto in the negrotown thread when she assumed I was white lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zelder posted:

eh it's not my favorite thing but I get why people default to it. In "things that annoy black people" I'm going to give it 3.8 microgressions. The more annoying thing about the internet is when you way in ~ as a black person ~ and people just assume you're lying/making poo poo up to rile people. The internet isn't segregated, people!

and sometimes it's not just black people who assume everyone is white, I got into an e slap fight with tiny Bronto in the negrotown thread when she assumed I was white lol

its weigh in

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Well counterpoint I'm an idiot and I should've known that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

she's nuts

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just like to cyber bully people :getin:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
This isn't r/relationships, but I think it fits here:

quote:

You could always try being a twitch streamer. I got 17 thousand dollars in inheiritance from my grandmother a couple years ago and one of my hobbies was finding random streamers to shower with cash out of nowhere. I've learned though that it's best just to do it randomly to someone who seems cool then move on like Mary Poppins, if you get a crush on a woman and think you can buy her heart you're going to have bad time.

It's a bit like when there was this cute earthy college student who mostly streamed Hearthstone that I used to watch obsessively and I eventually worked up the nerve to stop lurking and join chat (I broke the ice with a 500 dollar donation) and after a slow start I found my groove and started riffing off of everything she said and kind of became something of an Ed Mcmahon to her Carson. I'm only 32 but am pretty much an 80's guy at heart and I'd need to send her about a dozen wikipedia articles and youtube links a day so she'd get all my references haha. Anyhow one of her many quirks was how she'd take tinynibbles of food whenever she ate on stream and I'd playfully tease her about how she was half rabbit. It became what I thought was a beloved inside joke in chat and I made a couple fun compilation vids of her eating crossed with clips from the bucky o'hare show and watership down that synced up with her. I even payed 400 dollars for a pixel art gif of her as reader rabbit (which she played on stream once) nibbling away.

I'm not going to lie, I thought she loved the joke just as much as I did and I even had the gif artist do up a pic of us as rabbit bride and groom on top of a wedding cake (this was something to have in my back pocket 3 years down the line well after we started dating, don't worry I wasn't crazy folks) when I googled her old WOW, neopets etc. nickname she used as a teenager and sometimes used for reddit accounts etc. today and it was a post on a female streamers forum about how there was a guy in her chat who was cool at first but was starting to get way too obsessive and was starting to dominate the conversation and drive other people away and how upset and conflicted she was because he seems really nice and well meaning and doesn't realize how uncomfortable he was making her and everyone else, she has a brother who has aspergers so she's seen this kind of thing before and wants to know how best to gently suggest to him he tones it down without hurting his feelings.

She then talked about how it's extra awkward because he's basically been allowing her to make rent the last few months with donations but it's to the point where it's not worth trying to make a living streaming if it means having to deal with him everyday.

The transition to feeling on top of the world (I'd just spent 4 hours straight fapping to what I thought was our ineveitable honeymoon) to like human garbage was dramatic and I almost threw up, but just cried myself to sleep instead. The main thing is that she was happy and like Jorah with Daenerys I needed to leave her be. I still lurked of course and watched her stream 5 hours a day until of course the end of the month came around and from her comments on financial advice reddits new she was getting desperate and she started "nonchalantly" noticing my absence and saying "malgoll" where are you? Someone needs to start putting his pictures on milk cartons man haha..."

There's a particular streamer I knew she strongly disliked who was pretty much the opposite of her in every way, my crush was a lot like Felicia day and this woman was pretty the archetype of the intimidating "fps chick." This woman also ended up dating a male streamer she had a massive crush on and she pretty much saw her as being the opposite of all the insecurities she had about herself.

Anyhow it was pretty glorious to lurk in her chat and see her reaction when it blew up with people going "holy poo poo! Malgoll just donated 700 dollars to fpschick!" just the look of utter confusion on her face would have broken my heart if I didn't know how duplicitous she truly was. She ended up pm'ing me "what's going on, what did I do?" but after sending screenshots of all her forum posts I almost didn't want to include our wedding picture and truly make her live with regret for the rest of her life after realizing I saw her as wife material. We've both moved on, she finally started streaming again and has a job in the gaming industry and I think I've finally found my future wife who I'm going to spend my remaining inheiritance on but its still tragic to realize that the one real shot at true love either of us will probably have in our lives was ruined by something as silly as poking fun at how a person nibbles their food.

yes it's fake :ssh: You can read the ongoing saga here.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

^ imagine grandma looking down from heaven as her grandson literally redefines the dictionary definition of wasting an inheritance

Pick posted:

she's nuts

oh no doubt, she's bonkers.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 4, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this dude is impressively hateful, the comments jesus christ

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Ranma Fan Art posted:

i just like to cyber bully people :getin:

I like to cyber be friendly to people so I cancel you out friend

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

oh no doubt, she's bonkers.

there's one way to be a woman and one way to be black and if you have any other opinions welcome to your red title telling you to kill yourself lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I like to cyber be friendly to people so I cancel you out friend

i do too i was trolling

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I really like the one where the guy cucked himself but not before letting her move in with a goddamn piano
That's some serious self-control

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pick posted:

there's one way to be a woman and one way to be black and if you have any other opinions welcome to your red title telling you to kill yourself lol

currently writing a paper on how red text, or the "cyber scarlet letters", are a tool used by the masses to punish deviation from the norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy gently caress he doubles down on being a terrible human being in the update

http://archive.is/wXP30#selection-2119.0-2119.81