Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I got an avulsion fracture and completely detached tendon where my ring finger got bent, so it could have easily been much much worse. Fortunately it seems both my wheel and landing rotor are fine. At least there's that. I used TWO jacks and a jack stand when I got home to get the wheel on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Prong Song posted:

Shocked? It's lost 40% of its value in the first year. "Industry average" is 27% in the first year. You expect this level of loss with a BMW or Mercedes, NOT on an American compact car.

I know this is a few pages back now, but I'm catching up after being off SA for a few weeks.

Domestic specialty cars don't seem to hold their value very well (there are exceptions). I bought my 2013 Taurus (Build date July 2012) in Feb, 2014 with 18,000 miles on it for 20K off MSRP. Paid 28.5 for a car that stickered at 48K and change. Car was barely 18 months old at the time. It was a Ford manager's car so they probably didn't lose their rear end on it, but I got one hell of a deal.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

A guy a went to high school with learned why you loosen the lug nuts before jacking it up the hard way. He he tried loosening them while it was jacked up - the car came off the jack and the tire iron pinned his foot to the ground. Went clean through.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The GTI gets beat around by wind way worse than the golf does. It can get really bad passing semis...

Got almost 29mpg indicated on the way to Denver which I'm very OK with. The TDI would usually get low to mid 30's on the same trip. Not shabby for 80mph on winter tires.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

fknlo posted:

The GTI gets beat around by wind way worse than the golf does. It can get really bad passing semis...

Got almost 29mpg indicated on the way to Denver which I'm very OK with. The TDI would usually get low to mid 30's on the same trip. Not shabby for 80mph on winter tires.

Man the R got like 25ish on the only road trip ive done in it, but a bunch of that was mountain roads.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

The stock alignment on the GTI is probably way more aggressive. Have you ever had it checked? I've seen a lot of new cars with absolutely incomprehensible alignments that didn't get caught during PDI.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Speaking of road trips and mileage, just took my first one in the FoST and ended up averaging 27.7mpg over about 350 miles. All 70-80mph but it was a lot of up and down mountains driving up from DC to Western PA and back.

Really beats the hell out of the 19-21mpg I've been averaging over the last three months with my daily commute.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So my GTI needs the alignment tweaked some more after all the work the shop did last week post-fenderbender. At least I'm hoping that's all it is... I get something resembling catastrophic torque steer anytime the turbo spools up. At low speed is a slight pull, but over 45mph and it's a pretty sharp turn and then a sudden jerk back to the left when I let off the throttle. This is even under pretty light acceleration; seems more dependent on boost more than anything. The damage was bad enough to the wheel they replaced the control arm and related pieces, am I being overly optimistic that they just didn't get the alignment right? Or is it likely some other steering bits are toast that they missed?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you double check your tire pressures?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched a One Take featuring a heavily modified Fiesta ST and now I really want one.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Got a call today from the local Ford dealer that my Focus RS order was accepted. Now the waiting game begins! :suicide:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rhyno posted:

I watched a One Take featuring a heavily modified Fiesta ST and now I really want one.

Talking about the big turbo one? That was pretty cool, aside from the guy casually talking about being on like his third transmission.

Matt said on a recent podcast that he's driven what he considered the best Fiesta ST ever recently and it'll be coming soon. I'm interested to see what that one has. One Takes come back next week, so here's hoping it'll be one of the early ones.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rhyno posted:

I'll sell you mine for a very reasonable price. Seriously. PM me if you're actually looking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Prong Song posted:

I'll sell you mine for a very reasonable price. Seriously. PM me if you're actually looking.

Gonna be at least one more year before I am ready. We're getting married this year and I want to have that squared and paid for.

wolrah posted:

Talking about the big turbo one? That was pretty cool, aside from the guy casually talking about being on like his third transmission.

Matt said on a recent podcast that he's driven what he considered the best Fiesta ST ever recently and it'll be coming soon. I'm interested to see what that one has. One Takes come back next week, so here's hoping it'll be one of the early ones.

Yeah that's the guy. He was also running meth injection which was kind of excellent. I can't wait to see this other one. There's a guy in Indianapolis putting 280 to the wheels but he wouldn't let me drive it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'm hoping the big turbo Veloster gets on the smoking tire. They're at 400whp @ 6500 rpm and still going up with plans to 7500 rpm 500whp.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

BraveUlysses posted:

did you double check your tire pressures?

Was hoping it'd be so simple, but alas this morning everything was spot on. Back to the mechanic here in a little too let him try again...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Front and side airbag deployment generally means totaled, right...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not if you're in Russia.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

poo poo man you just got that thing, what happened?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...the gently caress.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

This is the Golf R right? Could be, but if it's only 2 bags, might not be enough because the value is still high.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend got his in his MS3, deployed airbags, bent the frame.

His insurance wouldn't total it so he's rolling around in a deathtrap now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some states/provinces have laws where it can't be totaled unless the damage is 85%+ the value of the car.

Where you are and how badly you binned it is very important here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Bent frame and 2 bags and it's not totalled? Is it brand new? My tbone cost over 12k in repairs and no bags deployed and the frame was unscathed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is the Golf R right? Could be, but if it's only 2 bags, might not be enough because the value is still high.

I thought it was a GTi not an R.

It's likely totaled.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Bent frame and 2 bags and it's not totalled? Is it brand new? My tbone cost over 12k in repairs and no bags deployed and the frame was unscathed.

My wrx was totaled over hail dents :shrug:

As you can see, it was absolute carnage. http://imgur.com/a/F1iDT

The insurance guy came out, spent about 10 minutes looking at it, did the math, and wrote a check on the spot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Please tell me you bought that back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really couldn't afford to at the time :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

It was a 2013 and it happened in 2015. I think he has 30K on the clock.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's a GTI. Guy turned left in front of me, roads are snowy and I couldn't stop. Front and driver side bags deployed. I'll try to get a pic up in a minute.

https://imgur.com/a/K6wgX

Linked for scraped up thumb and because I'm on my phone

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 5, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tough to tell without the hood open (don't open it, might not be able to close it again) but it doesn't look too bad. Might not total.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping they do since I'm on my own as far as getting back to Colorado if it gets fixed...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They probably won't cover a one way drop for a rental though either. Sorry dude. Sucks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Why the gently caress not? You don't have rental reimbursement?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rental reimbursement is per day and one way rentals usually have higher daily rates or a drop fee, sometimes both.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd be turning that poo poo into my insurance company and let them go after the at-fault insurance company for reimbursement.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd be turning that poo poo into my insurance company and let them go after the at-fault insurance company for reimbursement.

He t boned a dude, from the sound of it. Not a huge chance that he's totally not at fault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iwentdoodie posted:

He t boned a dude, from the sound of it. Not a huge chance that he's totally not at fault.

Someone turning left. Unless he ran a red he likely had right of way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine that would ever be totaled.

Depending on your insurance coverage, your own company might cover a rental for as long as it takes to get fixed(to a limit of $1k usually, which could be a few months with their rates).

File a police accident report, call your insurance, see what they can do for you right now. Make sure what happened from your point of view is clearly described in the report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Someone turning left. Unless he ran a red he likely had right of way.

Correct. He got a ticket, I didn't. I'm getting a reduced rental rate through my insurance company, his should cover it. Pretty sure I'm on my own if it's not totaled and I have to come back out to get it. Which means it won't be totaled. My rental is a Dodge dart. Kill me now.