Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Rest in piss, Gopher football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Rest in piss, Gopher football.
They'll turn out alright. It's not like it can get worse than it was under Brewster.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Chip Kelly to Minnesota in a last ditch effort to keep people interested in the program, and to give Chip something to do while he soaks money from the 49ers and Eagles.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/816444719379009538

Guess it's gonna be official soon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is upsetting both in its completely disregard for player well being and in that it is going to make Ohio State really motherfucking good

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have to say with all the UMN drama it's cool that Kaler seems to have priorities correct for this even if it's going to cost him his job.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"You abused players and were fired in disgrace but God drat we really need your play calling!"

gently caress off forever Ohio state

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

"You abused players and were fired in disgrace but God drat we really need your play calling!"

gently caress off forever Ohio state

It wasn't even really the playcalling that sunk OSU this year

It was Barrett and the OLine's mechanics

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Columbus delenda est

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Those weren't good either but the playcalling sucked major rear end

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crazy Ted posted:

They'll turn out alright. It's not like it can get worse than it was under Brewster.

SMU has shown us that a death penalty for even one year wrecks a program beyond repair for decades. I know this isn't a death penalty, but if everyone does indeed transfer, it would be a de facto death penalty.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

swickles posted:

SMU has shown us that a death penalty for even one year wrecks a program beyond repair for decades. I know this isn't a death penalty, but if everyone does indeed transfer, it would be a de facto death penalty.

But everyone won't transfer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swickles posted:

At the end of the they'll probably have a poor recruiting class but I'd be surprised if even half a dozen transfer.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Anyway, who's the person who committed to Minnesota because they wanted to be coached by a human sized potato.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

We'll see how true that is with the fallout from Baylor. They lost most of their 2016 recruiting class and are in major catch-up mode for their 2017 class (basically offering every single 3*+ player in the state of Texas without regard for actual scouting of those players). If they're not on their way to the gutter of the Big XII, then there is no de facto death penalty.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

swickles posted:

Comparing a Big Ten school to a private school that was booted to the mid-majors. Gotcha.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean it was pretty bad, and presumably the coaching changes will also help Barrett and the overall game planning. This is a massive upgrade too. Wilson put together great offenses at Northwestern and Indiana. He will burn the loving world down at OSU unless someone else poaches him almost immediately for another HC job.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio State and Alabama piling up successful and moderately successful head coaches to make one staff makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe they'll ban football because of concussions while the rest of us still have any sort of chance.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One day they're gonna separate the P5 and G5. Then they're gonna cut off the P5 bottom feeders. Eventually, top-level college football will be nothing but Ohio State and Alabama facing each other 15 times a year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pakled posted:

One day they're gonna separate the P5 and G5. Then they're gonna cut off the P5 bottom feeders. Eventually, top-level college football will be nothing but Ohio State and Alabama facing each other 15 times a year.

Quarantine is the first step towards eradication.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Orwell was right

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Korranus posted:

Comparing a Big Ten school to a private school that was booted to the mid-majors. Gotcha.

SMU had far more success in a decade than Minnesota has had in its entire existence. If the threats are genuine (which is another discussion all together), then Minnesota will have to fill 2 to 3 times the recruiting class as normal. If people do transfer, they are essentially starting up a historically mediocre program from scratch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

SMU had far more success in a decade than Minnesota has had in its entire existence.

Minnesota won multiple national titles

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

SMU has had far more success in a decade that Detoriata can remember than Minnesota has had during his lifetime.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

So has Princeton and Rutgers.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

So?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

So that's more than SMU? I'm not saying they're a power now or going to be one anytime soon but saying SMU has done more than they ever have is wrong and was the thing I was responding to.

I'm also not sure SMU being good 30 years ago is that much more relevant than Minnesota being good 60 years ago

swickles posted:

So has Princeton and Rutgers.

Rutgers does not

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

Rutgers does not

To be fair the 1869 national title was the least contested title of all time.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ohio State is going to be unstoppable unless something really horrible leaks out about Wilson and they have to fire him before next season even begins.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I have to imagine that OSU knows the details, even if IU has remained tight lipped about it. Schiano and Wilson as DC and OC is pretty crazy, and will probably last all of one year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ohio State - alliance of evil
Michigan - cool and good

I am alright with this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eltoasto posted:

I have to imagine that OSU knows the details, even if IU has remained tight lipped about it. Schiano and Wilson as DC and OC is pretty crazy, and will probably last all of one year.

I'd lean towards thinking they don't care all that much and are just betting they can keep him in check enough to where it doesn't blow up in their faces.

I've just been staring at the screen blankly for like 30 seconds thinking about how Art Briles is going to get another job pretty soon.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Grittybeard posted:

I've just been staring at the screen blankly for like 30 seconds thinking about how Art Briles is going to get another job pretty soon.

Quality control for Penn State.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Also, if we want to be accurate, SMU had the death penalty for a year and then the school canceled football the next. So really, we don't know if the death penalty by itself is all that bad!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Quality control for Penn State.

Been vacant since Jared Fogle left

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'd lean towards thinking they don't care all that much and are just betting they can keep him in check enough to where it doesn't blow up in their faces.

Yeah sadly it's this. Teams aren't going to give a poo poo what the coach did if they're still a good play caller.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Eltoasto posted:

Urban typically makes guys agree to stay on for a minimum of 2 seasons as part of negotiations. I'm willing to bet Schiano leaves at the end of the year, but there will probably be 2 years out of Wilson, which is good since hopefully that gives some time to do succession planning for the offense since last time that, uh, didn't go so well.

Komet posted:

Ohio State is going to be unstoppable unless something really horrible leaks out about Wilson and they have to fire him before next season even begins.

I mean, Kendal Briles has a job and Jim Leavitt was a hot commodity. I think the argument is literally that as long as that guy isn't the HC, the HC can rein them in and don't feel at risk since they know what they're looking for.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
"Know what they're looking for". Oh, you mean like being cool with players raping people.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

TheGreyGhost posted:

Urban typically makes guys agree to stay on for a minimum of 2 seasons as part of negotiations. I'm willing to bet Schiano leaves at the end of the year, but there will probably be 2 years out of Wilson, which is good since hopefully that gives some time to do succession planning for the offense since last time that, uh, didn't go so well.
Just lol if you think that this is binding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Just lol if you think that this is binding

Seriously, a coordinator position at tOSU is pretty great, and Urban might ask for an agreement or even give them a small contract, coordinators having contracts of their own isn't unheard of, but nothing's really stopping any coordinator from making a move.

• Locked thread