Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

rt4 posted:

Why would memcache be used to handle sessions? PHP's default session behavior (with sticky load balancers, if applicable) ought to be fine for pretty much anything.

For the same reason you put any other shared state on an external system: you want to keep https request handling as stateless as possible. If you depend on sticky load balancing and in-memory session data, then any server going offline - due to failure, deployment, autoscaling, or whatever else - will irretrievably knock out important things.

You can find ways to work around these problems, but most of them boil down to just pushing the session storage somewhere else. The best solution is generally a cache sitting in front of some kind of resilient storage. memcache(d) in front of a SQL DB is the "traditional" way to do this, but newer stuff usually uses something like Redis that can wrap both layers up into one. If you build it right, you can yank out any single element in the system and have it recover itself with minimal user-visible impact.

Here's an example of somebody doing an on-prem memcache/mysql-to-AWS Redis migration in a midsize PHP application.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

TBH they probably just want to hear you speculate about potential reasons a thing might not appear on a screen when it's supposed to. Eg there's lots of reasons the plane could be rendered outside of the viewport: different coordinate systems, metric conversion putting the plane in the wrong location, etc. Maybe it's being rendered in the same color as the background and you just can't see it. Maybe the graphic for the plane isn't loading correctly. Maybe the background is being drawn on top of the plane. Maybe the sensor data is just hosed.

Yes, that's probably what is going on, but it's a spectacularly bad way to ask the question if the interviewee doesn't have any experience in the system.

Or, they had somebody already picked out for the job, and that person just happened to have done a stint in flight display systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doghouse posted:

I interviewed with Raytheon for an internship a few years back, and they asked me something like, if you have a system that tracks airplane flight, and there is a bug where the image of the plane is not showing up on the screen, what is the probable reason for the bug?
I've asked that kind of question before, but asked "what's a possible bug?" with pretty wide open answers. "Probable" is weird, because the most probable bug is related to their engineering weaknesses. "Caching" is a solid answer though, it's always caching. Or threads.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

I love those interviews. They're basically asking the following questions:

1) Did you memorize this particular algorithm (that you will probably never need to use in this job) and the problems it solves?

If you answered no:

2) Are you a loving genius?

And then if you answer yes to either they would love to offer you $53k per year oh by the way you're unofficially on call 24/7 because they don't hire support engineers.

Yeah, the answer after an interview like that is to learn a bit about the algorithm and think, "oh, that's neat" and move onto the next interview.

Once I actually managed option 3 which was "blindly stumble into the answer by sheer luck." I hammered that interview right in the dick and they told me I was a very impressive candidate. They tried to stump me on questions about C# and failed.

I got a rejection e-mail while I was driving home and have no idea why.

Granted the other funny thing was places that told me there typical starting salary for CS people was $35K a year and then acted confused when I just laughed and didn't even bother interviewing with them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

TBH they probably just want to hear you speculate about potential reasons a thing might not appear on a screen when it's supposed to. Eg there's lots of reasons the plane could be rendered outside of the viewport: different coordinate systems, metric conversion putting the plane in the wrong location, etc. Maybe it's being rendered in the same color as the background and you just can't see it. Maybe the graphic for the plane isn't loading correctly. Maybe the background is being drawn on top of the plane. Maybe the sensor data is just hosed.

Yeah, in my head the correct answer to that question is "I need more information."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Get used to that feeling, the way you feel about a given interview rarely aligns with the way the people on the team feel about you. Hell, I interviewed for two companies back to back, thought I did great at the first and bad at the second. The second called me about 2 hours after the interview with an offer, the first rejected me. Concluded that all I can do is my best and that I shouldn't dwell on the rejections.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

Get used to that feeling, the way you feel about a given interview rarely aligns with the way the people on the team feel about you. Hell, I interviewed for two companies back to back, thought I did great at the first and bad at the second. The second called me about 2 hours after the interview with an offer, the first rejected me. Concluded that all I can do is my best and that I shouldn't dwell on the rejections.

I don't dwell on them. I learned that relatively early on; it's a numbers game. You just vomit resumes everywhere until somebody picks you up.

I will, however, continue to be baffled by some of the interviews I've had. Some of them were just damned confusing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Once I actually managed option 3 which was "blindly stumble into the answer by sheer luck." I hammered that interview right in the dick and they told me I was a very impressive candidate. They tried to stump me on questions about C# and failed.

Granted the other funny thing was places that told me there typical starting salary for CS people was $35K a year and then acted confused when I just laughed and didn't even bother interviewing with them.

Reminds me of when I first started interviewing for jobs and every time I said "I'm looking for $80k" recruiters were explicitly like "what the gently caress is wrong with you???", especially Staples. :downs: gently caress 'em.

What do people do to vet the quality of jobs they're interviewing for? There's vetting the company, i.e. whether their product is sustainable, their finances aren't pathetic, and their culture isn't hosed up; there's vetting the management, i.e. how they organize their projects and PMs and teams and all that and how often crunch time happens; and there's vetting their development and tech, i.e. do they have smart people on their teams and can I learn and grow at the company. Now that I've worked at a few places, I'm starting to get a handle on what I need to worry about, but I'm still missing a few things. Any advice?

Still prepping for getting a new job, cause my current one is pretty much a dead end that I've stayed at for too long. For the new year, I'm gonna be focusing on building up my skills in Clojure and Elixir and other, new paradigms. I still don't know what industry/field I want to work in, but at this point any will do as long as my career advances. Back to the grindstone I guess :downs:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

Reminds me of when I first started interviewing for jobs and every time I said "I'm looking for $80k" recruiters were explicitly like "what the gently caress is wrong with you???", especially Staples. :downs: gently caress 'em.

What do people do to vet the quality of jobs they're interviewing for? There's vetting the company, i.e. whether their product is sustainable, their finances aren't pathetic, and their culture isn't hosed up; there's vetting the management, i.e. how they organize their projects and PMs and teams and all that and how often crunch time happens; and there's vetting their development and tech, i.e. do they have smart people on their teams and can I learn and grow at the company. Now that I've worked at a few places, I'm starting to get a handle on what I need to worry about, but I'm still missing a few things. Any advice?

Still prepping for getting a new job, cause my current one is pretty much a dead end that I've stayed at for too long. For the new year, I'm gonna be focusing on building up my skills in Clojure and Elixir and other, new paradigms. I still don't know what industry/field I want to work in, but at this point any will do as long as my career advances. Back to the grindstone I guess :downs:

Sorry, how long?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Any advice?

Far as I can tell ask questions during interviews. You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. You can't vet everything you need to, though. That being said if little red flags start rising up just walk. No questions asked; red flags mean walk o'clock. A red flag is if they pressure you to start really really quickly without thinking about it. Do some Googling between interviews. You'll find a lot of information. One company in particular I was interested in until I read their absolutely dreadful reviews on Glassdoor. Everybody that worked for them absolutely loving hated it. I was very interested in what they were doing but apparently the owner was the biggest rear end in a top hat on the planet and preferred slave driving pricks that refused to give out raises as managers.

Another company repeatedly dodged questions about pay. That's a massive red flag. Despite being desperate for a job at the time I didn't keep that interview chain going. Still, as there are ways for an interviewee to game the process there are ways for interviewers as well. If you do jump into a lovely situation don't be afraid to bolt.

The job I did snag was because the place seemed pretty chill. The people there were generally pretty happy. I'm a bit underpaid but it's good enough for now. I'm also in Pittsburgh so it's way easier to live comfortably than in San Fran.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Management is a hard one to get a handle on. When I last interviewed the management was slow to communicate and the whole process took months rather than weeks as they went out of the office frequently. As it turns out , that's basically how this guy operates day to day. Wishy washy, slow to make needed changes, never in the office. It's almost what they don't do.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sometimes bad management makes it easy to spot.

I had an interview back in May and one of the six people I talked to was someone who would have had a leadership position above me.

He skips the usual pleasantries or any of the get-to-know-you stuff. He writes up a CTCI-esque problem on the whiteboard, hands me the marker, and then taps away at his phone the whole time. I'm talking as I go, and he pays zero attention. I finish it. He shrugs, writes another one up, goes back to the phone.

If you can't extend me the courtesy of thirty minutes of your attention in an interview then I'm sure you'll be a crappy person to work for, too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I've been looking around for a new career path recently and a buddy of mine suggested I look into programming. He taught himself how to code a little and kinda faked his way into an unpaid internship that taught him the rest as he went, and while I'm not expecting that to be an ideal strategy, I'm curious about how long you guys think it would take someone to go from a complete lack of any knowledge whatsoever about programming to being hireable, even if it's not a megabucks position.

I'm pretty self-driven and there seems to be a large pool of resources out there for self-teaching, but I don't know if that's the best way for me to approach it. I don't have a ton of money to invest into something like going back for a masters in CS, but aside from self-teaching the only other option seems to be bootcamps. I'm in Austin so the biggie here is UT's bootcamp, which as far as I can tell is pretty well-regarded, but that $10k price tag is...yeah. I guess there are also internships, but most of them seem to require about as much experience as you'd need for a starting position anyway.

So assuming I can stick with it, use the right resources, and have a pretty good amount of free time to devote to it, what kind of timetable would I be looking at for an entry-level programming position?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've been looking around for a new career path recently and a buddy of mine suggested I look into programming. He taught himself how to code a little and kinda faked his way into an unpaid internship that taught him the rest as he went, and while I'm not expecting that to be an ideal strategy, I'm curious about how long you guys think it would take someone to go from a complete lack of any knowledge whatsoever about programming to being hireable, even if it's not a megabucks position.

I'm pretty self-driven and there seems to be a large pool of resources out there for self-teaching, but I don't know if that's the best way for me to approach it. I don't have a ton of money to invest into something like going back for a masters in CS, but aside from self-teaching the only other option seems to be bootcamps. I'm in Austin so the biggie here is UT's bootcamp, which as far as I can tell is pretty well-regarded, but that $10k price tag is...yeah. I guess there are also internships, but most of them seem to require about as much experience as you'd need for a starting position anyway.

So assuming I can stick with it, use the right resources, and have a pretty good amount of free time to devote to it, what kind of timetable would I be looking at for an entry-level programming position?

YMMV but I went from no knowledge of coding to employed as a Junior C# Developer in ~8 months by teaching myself online - My first day on the job was utterly terrifying, because I was convinced everyone would figure out that I didn't know anything, but it went fine. I spent a lot of time writing code to put stuff on my CV while I was searching for jobs, but it worked out okay.

I started with Python, though Ruby is also good - pick either. They're both very readable languages that should stop you tearing your hair out over a missing semicolon while you get to grips with the whole coding thing. I found Codecademy to be a decent introduction to both languages.

Once you get the hang of programming in general, look around for in-demand languages for jobs near you and pick up one of those - chances are C# and/or Javascript will be in-demand - and while they look more intimidating than Python/Ruby, it's not that different when you're used to it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I can't speak to any specific bootcamps, but anecdotally there are a couple guys at my company who got hired out of a code school. I think the program was three months long? They're both pretty darn good programmers if you ask me, and neither of them had a programming background (one was a biologist and the other was a pro basketball player).

I would avoid traditional higher education if your goal is to get into programming as a career change. Computer Science is not the same thing as programming, and while you will learn some programming in the process of getting a CS degree, the classes will generally use programming as a tool to teach you computer science and not try to teach you modern, practical software engineering skills. You'd be amazed at how bad people with a PHD in computer science can be at programming. This is coming from someone with a 4-year CS degree.

Bootcamps and code schools are designed to rapidly teach you practical programming skills that you will use on the job. Unfortunately the quality can vary wildly, so if you go with one of these do lots of research.

If you decide to do self-taught, your goal should probably be to learn one language to the point where you can make one or two simple things, and get them publicly visible. When I look at an entry level candidate, an education is a nice plus but mostly I want to know if they can make anything, and the easiest way to answer that question is if they have a website with the thing they've made (or, you know, if the website IS the thing they've made) that I can play with and then ask questions about during an interview.

Be warned: If you find that you do enjoy programming (and not everybody does), you'll probably have a very hard time feeling "ready." You'll never feel like you know enough. And you'll probably think you're just not qualified for any jobs until you learn just one more framework or whatever. This is more or less a permanent state of mind for most programmers, and you just have to force yourself to get over it, because it's the nature of our industry that there's just so much poo poo to learn. Again, get to the point where you can make a thing and just start applying.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Grump posted:

I graduated in May and it took me 6 months to get a job. I'd say she's doing okay and just needs to keep looking.

If I had any advice after being on the job hunt for 6 months, I'd say you should only apply directly to companies. Recruiters are worthless. I found a job that pays well on Craigslist.

I dunno if she's going through recruiters, but it's worth mentioning. All they did was help me waste 5 months of my life.

Wanted to give an update on this too. This job is starting off slow, but I was overreacting. My department heads aren't the best at finding me work, but we've discussed and they think it's better to spoonfeed me everything very slowly than throw me into anything challenging.

Which I think is dumb, but :shrug:. I'm watching lots of Lynda videos and getting a lot better at Javascript and Jquery. And i'm getting paid to do so!

I have to disagree. I've found a decent recruiter can help you get to the stage where you're actually talking to people in the company, especially if your resume is light on work experience. And I've found Craigslist to be awful.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I have to disagree. I've found a decent recruiter can help you get to the stage where you're actually talking to people in the company, especially if your resume is light on work experience. And I've found Craigslist to be awful.

Yeah I've had really good luck with recruiters. They work in the background while you continue your normal job hunt, and occasionally ping you for interviews.

I've always thought the worst case scenario is you get interview experience. Maybe I've just been lucky.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Is there a way I can speed up my job hunting process? As it stands it takes me 3+ hours to do about 20 applications.
Here's how it goes at the moment:
  1. Load up Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor
  2. Set them to Past 24 hours, Software Engineer, Locations: Madison, Atlanta, Texas, California
  3. Open a tab for every position that lists <3 years requirements and isn't from a recruiter (I tried them from Aug-Dec, all it gave me was spam and no job interviews)
  4. Read a bit on the company and then apply

As I write this I'm around the 4 hour mark and I still have 60 pages on Glassdoor to sift through.
I want to do things like a side project or doing studying interview questions.
Instead I do something else because I feel so drained that the thought of doing the above just disgusts me.
Maybe I'm just being a baby about this, if that's the case go ahead and berate me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mekkanare posted:

Is there a way I can speed up my job hunting process? As it stands it takes me 3+ hours to do about 20 applications.
  2. Set them to Past 24 hours, Software Engineer, Locations: Madison, Atlanta, Texas, California
  3. Open a tab for every position that lists <3 years requirements and isn't from a recruiter (I tried them from Aug-Dec, all it gave me was spam and no job interviews)

As I write this I'm around the 4 hour mark and I still have 60 pages on Glassdoor to sift through.
Instead I do something else because I feel so drained that the thought of doing the above just disgusts me.
Maybe I'm just being a baby about this, if that's the case go ahead and berate me.

Be more discerning. Hunt through those 60 pages and make a list of your top 10 or 20 jobs and apply to those first.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Be more discerning. Hunt through those 60 pages and make a list of your top 10 or 20 jobs and apply to those first.

What do you mean? If it's something like "target only specific companies" I don't really have any loyalty to any company, it's location I'm fickle about.
Like I said in earlier posts, besides Java I've never really cared about the language of choice. Even now Java doesn't matter to me, I was just being an idiot at the time.
So wherever hires me I'll have no qualms against learning their languages.

Also, yesterday I only had 25 applications sent and in these 3 hours today I've had 17.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What's your response rate like?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If you have little to no experience, you're maybe being a little bit picky with the first two locations. What he meant is that you should be going through the job listings and marking off what looks best before simply applying to them for the heck of it if you aren't really all that interested. Do a bit of vetting for quality even if the quantity drops a little bit. I don't necessarily think it's the greatest resource for a number of reasons, but the HN hiring thread just refreshed for the month yesterday so you might be able to find a couple decent looking positions on there. StackOverflow's jobs site is also going to be far better than Glassdoor and I consistently recommend it.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

mekkanare posted:

I tried to find a blog post I read about this a while back but couldn't, but it was a guy who was in your position. He wasn't getting any responses from applying from places like Indeed, so he would make a list of all the companies with a post on those types of sites, and then find someone who works there on LinkedIn and try to email them directly. He said his response rate went up 30-40 percent because those people would think they got that email by mistake and forward it on to whoever does the hiring. He also mentioned that some of the time he'd get responses directly from the CEO/CTO if it was a smaller company.

I was on the other end when I worked for my previous company, I'd do the hiring for our art department. When you get so many responses from people applying from the ad that you just start to loose focus when you are going through 200+ responses, I think an email from someone inside the company forwarding a resume/portfolio would snap me out of it and take a closer look.

I feel bad about it, but after looking at the 20th portfolio in a row, I would start to delete applications if their first entry on their portfolio wasn't something great.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm in the midst of learning enough front end dev to land a junior position, and haven't had to apply for a job in the last seven years, but I plan on trying out this technique. I also have the benefit of wanting to get the hell out of the town I currently live in, so I'll be applying in all the major coastal cities.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 4, 2017

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Does anyone have advice on those phone screens where they have you do a little code exercise through a shared online interface while talking over the phone? I never seem to get past these things. When I'm solving a problem that's new to me I tend to loop back around and change my mind on things a few times and I imagine I come across as bumbling but that's just sort of how I work through problems so I'm not sure what to do.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

Does anyone have advice on those phone screens where they have you do a little code exercise through a shared online interface while talking over the phone? I never seem to get past these things. When I'm solving a problem that's new to me I tend to loop back around and change my mind on things a few times and I imagine I come across as bumbling but that's just sort of how I work through problems so I'm not sure what to do.

Not being able to talk through a decent solution and then code it would be a huge red flag to me. You shouldn't need to iterate on what should be a simple problem.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mekkanare posted:

What do you mean? If it's something like "target only specific companies" I don't really have any loyalty to any company, it's location I'm fickle about.
Like I said in earlier posts, besides Java I've never really cared about the language of choice. Even now Java doesn't matter to me, I was just being an idiot at the time.
So wherever hires me I'll have no qualms against learning their languages.

Also, yesterday I only had 25 applications sent and in these 3 hours today I've had 17.

I'm saying that you'll have better luck by focusing on jobs that look more appealing and better align with your skills and interests rather than just going down a list and applying to every single job. You're getting 60 pages of results. Maybe try to narrow it down so you only get 2 or 3 pages of results. You can always expand your criteria later. You're focusing on quantity to the exclusion of everything else, including preparing to succeed at interviews with companies that do bite. That's silly.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have a sort of strange situation I'd love to hear some opinions on.

Interviewed with Company, got an e-mail a week later saying they loved meeting me and wanted to move forward. Started discussing start date and negotiation salary. Negotiations went on hold over the holidays. Came back today to an e-mail saying the 'headcount' is now lower than expected, and there are more candidate interviews this week and they will let me know once they have more information. Have any of you ever been in the negotiation phase and had something like this happen? I thought for sure this job was a lock and I'm a little dismayed. I of course might still get a final offer, but I assumed the initial offer was pretty solid. Does this just go down as 'it's not final until you sign'? I didn't do anything stupid like quit my current job or move, so I'm not screwed, but I was getting pretty excited about the new position.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

asur posted:

Not being able to talk through a decent solution and then code it would be a huge red flag to me. You shouldn't need to iterate on what should be a simple problem.

So if I can't walk through the solution immediately I'm just an idiot then. Great thanks, that's really helpful.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's a really similar skill to whiteboarding, with a little extra emphasis on style. e.g. I'd expect someone typing to align whitespace whereas on a whiteboard that's much harder. How's your general whiteboarding chatter?

I've had shared doc interviews that were single functions and others designing larger systems requiring state machines and timers, so asur's garbage reply is probably only considering the first of those. Can you give an example of the kind of question you're getting? Have any interviews included feedback?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

HondaCivet posted:

So if I can't walk through the solution immediately I'm just an idiot then. Great thanks, that's really helpful.

"Red flag" doesn't mean dumb, just inappropriate for the specific position.

Shared screen interviews are *normally* a low-to-mid level competency screen. (Again, for a specific position.) But sometimes you'll get thrown curve balls.

What kind of questions are you getting?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

That's not what I said. You should be talking through the design portion and doing the majority of your iteration at that point. The majority of interview questions require a small amount of code and the problem will probably be considered easy by the interviewer. These two factors mean that iterating on the code portion is probably going to be perceived as you not knowing how to translate your design to a working implementation. This probably isn't fair if you work differently as you mentioned, but how you're perceived matters in interviews so you should practice problems so that it improves this aspect.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

asur posted:

That's not what I said. You should be talking through the design portion and doing the majority of your iteration at that point. The majority of interview questions require a small amount of code and the problem will probably be considered easy by the interviewer. These two factors mean that iterating on the code portion is probably going to be perceived as you not knowing how to translate your design to a working implementation. This probably isn't fair if you work differently as you mentioned, but how you're perceived matters in interviews so you should practice problems so that it improves this aspect.

OK thank you, that's more helpful. I do have a bad habit of writing code probably before I am supposed to. Would maybe writing out a pseudocode sort of blueprint in comments help the interviewer?

JawnV6 posted:

It's a really similar skill to whiteboarding, with a little extra emphasis on style. e.g. I'd expect someone typing to align whitespace whereas on a whiteboard that's much harder. How's your general whiteboarding chatter?

I've had shared doc interviews that were single functions and others designing larger systems requiring state machines and timers, so asur's garbage reply is probably only considering the first of those. Can you give an example of the kind of question you're getting? Have any interviews included feedback?

I've never really gotten feedback, no. IME they tend to be used by companies with a more impersonal interviewing style. The problems tend to be like the stuff you'd see on Code Wars; self-contained little problems. Kind of like FizzBuzz but a bit harder.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mekkanare posted:

Twenty applications in 3 hours is a hell of a lot already. I didn't apply to nearly 20 places all throughout my last job hunt.

ddiddles posted:

I tried to find a blog post I read about this a while back but couldn't, but it was a guy who was in your position. He wasn't getting any responses from applying from places like Indeed, so he would make a list of all the companies with a post on those types of sites, and then find someone who works there on LinkedIn and try to email them directly. He said his response rate went up 30-40 percent because those people would think they got that email by mistake and forward it on to whoever does the hiring. He also mentioned that some of the time he'd get responses directly from the CEO/CTO if it was a smaller company.

I was on the other end when I worked for my previous company, I'd do the hiring for our art department. When you get so many responses from people applying from the ad that you just start to loose focus when you are going through 200+ responses, I think an email from someone inside the company forwarding a resume/portfolio would snap me out of it and take a closer look.

I feel bad about it, but after looking at the 20th portfolio in a row, I would start to delete applications if their first entry on their portfolio wasn't something great.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm in the midst of learning enough front end dev to land a junior position, and haven't had to apply for a job in the last seven years, but I plan on trying out this technique. I also have the benefit of wanting to get the hell out of the town I currently live in, so I'll be applying in all the major coastal cities.

If it were me I'd just trash that e-mail without reading it. Don't do gimmicks to get a job. Just apply normally. If you want to contact someone at the company in addition to that you can try but a lot of people aren't going to welcome that kind of contact.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 4, 2017

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Shared documents on a phone call is more difficult than whiteboarding in my opinion. It's much harder to write out examples and talk through the problem clearly without being able to point at what you're looking at, and you lose out on all body language.

That being said you can get better at it with practice. Pull up problems on leetcode.com and don't write any code at all until you've vocally described your algorithm exactly as you would in the interview. Talk through your thought process, try to identify what the tricky parts of the problem are out loud so the interviewer knows you understand the problem. Type out a few examples if they help but other than that don't touch the keyboard or mouse, I personally have a bad habit of trying to highlight or point at something so the interviewer sees what I'm talking about but they probably won't be able to see what you're doing.

After some practice, do it with a friend on the phone in Google docs so you get actual live practice with a human.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jose Valasquez posted:

Shared documents on a phone call is more difficult than whiteboarding in my opinion. It's much harder to write out examples and talk through the problem clearly without being able to point at what you're looking at, and you lose out on all body language.

That being said you can get better at it with practice. Pull up problems on leetcode.com and don't write any code at all until you've vocally described your algorithm exactly as you would in the interview. Talk through your thought process, try to identify what the tricky parts of the problem are out loud so the interviewer knows you understand the problem. Type out a few examples if they help but other than that don't touch the keyboard or mouse, I personally have a bad habit of trying to highlight or point at something so the interviewer sees what I'm talking about but they probably won't be able to see what you're doing.

After some practice, do it with a friend on the phone in Google docs so you get actual live practice with a human.

Thank you, I couldn't quite put my finger on why I found shared docs tricky. They seem like they'd be better than a whiteboard but they're worse in many ways. And that's a great plan of attack for getting better at them, thanks.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

What's your response rate like?

Last year I got about 10 interviews, I've yet to get past technicals and I know why so I would like to work on it.

The first two I chose only because my city has a bus that goes to Madison, and Atlanta I know people.
Otherwise I'm basically looking at places where I wouldn't need a car to get around (since I don't own one at this moment).

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I should look at what I find interesting. My school and personal projects were never anything big or relevant overall, so I can't really say I have anything I like specifically to work on.

Interesting way, but did this guy have anything else going on for him that would help? That really seems like cold calling which I don't think a lot of people like (I know I don't).

Twenty applications in 3 hours is a hell of a lot already. I didn't apply to nearly 20 places all throughout my last job hunt.
It doesn't feel like enough to be honest. I don't really have a network to go on and try to minimize my online presence (this is pretty much the last account I use with this handle for example).
So its pretty much just my resume for people to go on.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

mekkanare posted:

Interesting way, but did this guy have anything else going on for him that would help? That really seems like cold calling which I don't think a lot of people like (I know I don't).

I found the article, and I must have blocked out the majority of it. He was just out of a 3 month bootcamp and said he masked the fact that his only experience was the bootcamp, and didn't want to get lumped into "junior level positions"...which is exactly what he was. I think the salary part of the article might be completely bullshit as he said he was getting six figure offers. Who would offer that much to someone who's never worked in the industry?

So never mind, forget what I said before.

Here's the article if anyone's interested.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/5-key-learnings-from-the-post-bootcamp-job-search-9a07468d2331#.dfh34p51p

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I career changed into this around three years ago by doing a bootcamp. I've always been Good With Computer but I never did any programming before my decision to do this. It took me ~6 months of 40+ hour weeks of learning before I landed my first job, which I acquired by sheer luck.

The bootcamp I did had a much lower price point than that. It helps provide structure around your project to learn coding, which may or may not be important to you. There's a practical limit to how effective the education can be, though. You can find plenty of lesson plans online these days, but you might need help navigating which things to learn in what order. You can self-study with videos. You can probably find a developer who'd consult for a fee to give you individual lessons and evaluate your progress, and a couple hours of consulting per week is way cheaper than that bootcamp if you don't need the rest of it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ddiddles posted:

I found the article, and I must have blocked out the majority of it. He was just out of a 3 month bootcamp and said he masked the fact that his only experience was the bootcamp, and didn't want to get lumped into "junior level positions"...which is exactly what he was. I think the salary part of the article might be completely bullshit as he said he was getting six figure offers. Who would offer that much to someone who's never worked in the industry?

So never mind, forget what I said before.

Here's the article if anyone's interested.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/5-key-learnings-from-the-post-bootcamp-job-search-9a07468d2331#.dfh34p51p
Interesting read I guess, but I'd say he seems a bit entitled:

quote:

At Hack Reactor, we’re trained to mask our inexperience. In our personal narratives, we purposely omit our bootcamp education.

Why? Otherwise, companies automatically categorize us into junior developer roles or tag us as “not enough experience.”

In one interview with a startup, the interview immediately went south once they realized I’d done a bootcamp. One company used it against me and made me a $60k offer, benchmarking against junior developers.

Ultimately, you need to convince companies that you can do the job.

At the same time, you need to convince yourself that you can do the job.

You can. Focus on your love for programming. Focus on what you’ve built with React and Node. Focus on demonstrating your deep knowledge in JavaScript and any other languages you’ve learned.

Only then can they justify giving you the job.
He thinks he's qualified for a non-junior position (and should be paid senior salary) by doing a bootcamp for a few months and because he intentionally grinded interviews? No matter how much you study language syntax, be it Node/JS or whatever as he did, you don't have the experience to perform at a senior level, because software dev is not just about knowing language syntax. I think it's a disconcerning that the name of the game these days (based on what I read in this thread and online) is to literally practice interviewing questions, but alright, anything to get a job, it's the company that's bad at interviewing if they can't catch a whiff of your inexperience (if they are looking for a non-junior). I'm tempted to say he's "cheating", but I guess it's up to the companies that hire him to evaluate his performance as time goes by, and set a fair salary according to what he knows.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mekkanare posted:

It doesn't feel like enough to be honest. I don't really have a network to go on and try to minimize my online presence (this is pretty much the last account I use with this handle for example).
So its pretty much just my resume for people to go on.

You're not doing your application any favors by sending it to anyone and everyone without spending some time to make it clear you actually want the job you're applying to rather than shotgunning applications to everyone. Go for quality.

Honestly, if you haven't tried it might not be an awful idea to try a recruiter or two if you're stuck at the getting call backs phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You're not doing your application any favors by sending it to anyone and everyone without spending some time to make it clear you actually want the job you're applying to rather than shotgunning applications to everyone. Go for quality.

Honestly, if you haven't tried it might not be an awful idea to try a recruiter or two if you're stuck at the getting call backs phase.

Recruiters typically only help those that already have experience. I get calls all the time now from them, but before I got my first job by myself they were of no help.