Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

druthers posted:

Which will give you Scotland, with all its de jure claims, as your only top level title. The displeasure of your Irish vasals might mean that they dont vote for your choice of sucessor, which might be a problem.

It's Tanistry, they almost never vote for your choice of successor (and literally never vote for your kid if they have a choice) even when they like you, he should probably get used to this while he can. That said, the plan should work just fine. Long-term goal should probably be to create a single Empire title, after which I will generally destroy the kingdom titles I used to create it, for the same reason (if the ruler you use to create the empire is awesome enough or has been on the throne long enough, 1000 prestige cost per kingdom and a global -40 opinion hit is plenty survivable): it's basically impossible to control where Tanistry titles will go, so it's better to have as few relevant titles to worry about as possible.

That said, I love Tanistry games because they really change up the mindset: the fact that you can't get non-dynastic-heir game-overs means that an individual ruler's kids are less important, compared to planting some good family lines in multiple places and hoping the AI doesn't gently caress them up too badly. The crown switching between several branches of the family thicket means that if you give enough of your dynasts land, odds are you'll get plenty of solid candidates that you wouldn't mind playing. And, yes, the occasional "why did they vote for this person" utter failure that's basically a challenge scenario, but I've found those surprisingly rare.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Ugh, I hate the ship mechanism in this game. It's so much work to load up your troops of ships and attack some stupid county on the other side of the sea.

Having just starting fooling around with invading Brittany, am finding this too. I conquered Iceland on a whim but realistically will probably just let it go if Norway ever comes knocking to get it back, can't be arsed raising fleet levies for something like that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's Tanistry, they almost never vote for your choice of successor (and literally never vote for your kid if they have a choice) even when they like you, he should probably get used to this while he can. That said, the plan should work just fine. Long-term goal should probably be to create a single Empire title, after which I will generally destroy the kingdom titles I used to create it, for the same reason (if the ruler you use to create the empire is awesome enough or has been on the throne long enough, 1000 prestige cost per kingdom and a global -40 opinion hit is plenty survivable): it's basically impossible to control where Tanistry titles will go, so it's better to have as few relevant titles to worry about as possible.

That said, I love Tanistry games because they really change up the mindset: the fact that you can't get non-dynastic-heir game-overs means that an individual ruler's kids are less important, compared to planting some good family lines in multiple places and hoping the AI doesn't gently caress them up too badly. The crown switching between several branches of the family thicket means that if you give enough of your dynasts land, odds are you'll get plenty of solid candidates that you wouldn't mind playing. And, yes, the occasional "why did they vote for this person" utter failure that's basically a challenge scenario, but I've found those surprisingly rare.

I'm currently playing a merchant republic with a self-imposed rule of never using the designated heir honorary title, and it's certainly an interesting experience. Of course, the AI usually doesn't ruin the traits of landless characters too much, so it's probably a milder version compared to tanistry.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I ended up getting Scotland for free (not sure how, I guess they voted for me? my king was super good at the time, with 43 state diplomacy) so I just destroyed the Kingdom of Scotland. I'm set to form Britannia after I finish England off:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Elman posted:

I ended up getting Scotland for free (not sure how, I guess they voted for me? my king was super good at the time, with 43 state diplomacy) so I just destroyed the Kingdom of Scotland. I'm set to form Britannia after I finish England off:

This reminds me: is it possible to look at the succession system/crown authority/etc of a realm that's not yours? I keep seeing all these revolts in England/Scotland to lower crown authority (at this point England must be the Somolia of the British Isles) but not actually sure how far they've taken it. Would be good to know as far as gaming inheritance systems like ^

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This reminds me: is it possible to look at the succession system/crown authority/etc of a realm that's not yours? I keep seeing all these revolts in England/Scotland to lower crown authority (at this point England must be the Somolia of the British Isles) but not actually sure how far they've taken it. Would be good to know as far as gaming inheritance systems like ^

Yes, sort of.

You can see the succession laws of any realm just by hovering over the coat of arms for the realm on the title holder's page. It will list the succession laws and the top 5 successors.

For crown authority/other laws, you can only see them if you control territory within the de jure kingdom you want to view. You don't need to actually be a vassal of that kingdom, just have the territory. It will show up on your laws screen along your own titles and you can view it the same as any of them.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Dunno about crown authority, but if you mouse over the shield for a title, it'll describe the line of succession for that title; agnatic gavelkind, ag-cog elective, whatever.
EFB.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For crown authority/other laws, you can only see them if you control territory within the de jure kingdom you want to view. You don't need to actually be a vassal of that kingdom, just have the territory. It will show up on your laws screen along your own titles and you can view it the same as any of them.

Not QUITE true - I believe that the active crown laws for any given province (so CA, maybe a few others - I don't remember what counts as a Crown Law in vanilla since Conclave), will show up if you hover over that area in one of the De Jure map modes (Duchies/Kingdoms/Empires).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ugh, I hate it when I buy a favor from a councilor only to then look at the "my council" screen to find out that they're already in the pocket of another councilor. I always forget to look at the "My Council" screen beforehand. There should probably be a warning when you're buying a favor from a councilor saying "Hey! This guy is already repaying a favor to another councilor."

That's the annoying thing about having vassal merchant republics; they're always swimming in so much dough that they bribe the rest of the council the moment they get a seat. Still, it's pretty satisfying to boot them out of the council for a while so that the small fortune they just spent ended up being for nothing.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

Not QUITE true - I believe that the active crown laws for any given province (so CA, maybe a few others - I don't remember what counts as a Crown Law in vanilla since Conclave), will show up if you hover over that area in one of the De Jure map modes (Duchies/Kingdoms/Empires).
Confirmed, though not in duchy mode, because crown laws are for kings and above.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So I started up a new game for the first time since July, and disabled all of the graphical dlc that I have bought to make the game run better. I was blown away by the performance, with it running noticeably better then it ever had before even on day one, but everything in game was super duper dark and 90% of the coat of arms were black. I didn't care at first, because it was running super well, but after starting to catch up on the thread I realized that it's just because they optimized it. Enabling all the dlc didn't help get rid of the screen being super dark, is there anything else I can do?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oh god, I won a Crusade and was awarded the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which meant having a massive demesne.

I clicked the "help me managing my titles" button and it went ahead and did stuff like giving land to an imprisoned vassal who rebeled earlier, or giving my favourite heir with great stats a bishopry :negative:

Elman fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elman posted:

Oh god, I won a Crusade and was awarded the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which meant having a massive demesne.

I clicked the "help me managing my titles" button and it went ahead and did stuff like giving land to an imprisoned vassal who rebeled earlier, or giving my favourite heir with great stats a bishopry :negative:

You just fell into the trap! :(

Never use this option, it's completely useless. Just give lowborn courtiers a county, then give him the duchy with "includes all lesser titles" checked, and they will sort out the duchy themselves. Don't land noble characters if you can avoid it, since they could then get their relative's land through inheritance shenanigans and become a threat to you. To find lowborn people to land, go to the character finder, search realm for men/my culture/my religion/ruler=no/adult=yes/great house=no. You can directly land courtiers in the courts of your vassals, so there's no need to invite them to yours beforehand.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I accidentally ended up as a vassal of the HRE. My husband died, leaving my grandson a county in the HRE. Then when I died, my grandson inherited my kingdom of Sicily. So suddenly I was a vassal to the kaiser. Unexpected, but it's probably easier to try and destroy it/take over from the inside anyway :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I somehow forgot all about inheritance/gavelkind and when my current dude became 58 his wife died, so I took a new one. Then I had a son, after 40some years of my sole child being a legitimized bastard, and a drunk at that. Suddenly, I was at risk of losing half of my realm. And the better half, at that.

I spent 500 gold to give myself a duchy title and create a new kingdom and in the process committed some tragic border gore. But at least my inheritance is straightened out.

EDIT
In outside world news, both Bavaria and Pannonia became Jewish somehow, so there's a pretty sizable chunk of land that they control, which I've never seen before outside of my own dicking around.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NihilCredo posted:

Change of plans, now I have a nice queen ruling.

So question, if I have a bunch of weak-claim bastards running around, is it actually safer to give them a barony (just won a holy war so I have a few) rather than keep them landless? I figure as barons they're no real threat, while as landless claimants they could accept an invitation to a rival's court and have their claim actually pressed.

Depending on your religion, you can force them to become monks/nuns. They can still be claimants but they can't pass down their claims. Or turn Greek and give em the ol' Extreme Stooging so they can't inherit but still have the parts to produce more dynasts? It also produces great fodder for winning duels.

Is there a way to steal your independent ruler wife's titles somehow? I got a 'jure uxoris' event that popped up in a CK2plus game that gave me a chance at usurping my insane/possessed wife's titles. Is that in the base game? And if not is there a good way to achieve the same effect? The best I've gotten is 1)Marry someone who is or will become an independent queen with your help, produce an heir with males being preferred, once she has the throne cap her so the kid inherits. You've either got your own heir right there since he'll inherit both mom's kingdom and yours. Or if you don't want to wait, just kill the son. Since you took momma out before she could pop out any nasty little title stealers, the line of succession leads right back to you

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda wish holy wars over seas were a little more restrictied. It's kinda annoying to see the HRE/France literally invade Iberia and Africa every game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

shut up blegum posted:

Ugh, I hate the ship mechanism in this game. It's so much work to load up your troops on ships and attack some stupid county on the other side of the sea.

I wish they would have stuck with the CK1 mechanic where there are no boats and you just pay some money to have armies travel across water.

Navies as they are now are just a really dumb hassle.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

shut up blegum posted:

Ugh, I hate the ship mechanism in this game. It's so much work to load up your troops on ships and attack some stupid county on the other side of the sea.

Beats CK1 where you had no ships and had to pay a stupid sum of money to magic up some ships. Need to change destinations mid route? That'll be another 500 gold!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kainser posted:

I wish they would have stuck with the CK1 mechanic where there are no boats and you just pay some money to have armies travel across water.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Beats CK1 where you had no ships and had to pay a stupid sum of money to magic up some ships. Need to change destinations mid route? That'll be another 500 gold!

:allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Elman posted:

The existence of this option is strong evidence that Paradox isn't merely uncaring toward new players but actively vindictive toward them. It literally exists for no reason except as a middle finger to new players who don't know any better.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I too love when goons have two independent, contradictory opinions that are equally valid. Makes for better discussion.

Boats are great, so less boats are less great.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Adopt the wormhole system from Stellaris

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The existence of this option is strong evidence that Paradox isn't merely uncaring toward new players but actively vindictive toward them. It literally exists for no reason except as a middle finger to new players who don't know any better.

It's your vassal offering to do it and it's a good lesson for new players to never trust those pieces of poo poo

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gorelab posted:

I kinda wish holy wars over seas were a little more restrictied. It's kinda annoying to see the HRE/France literally invade Iberia and Africa every game.

I'm on my second long-term game, this time as Sicily rather than Ireland, and it seems amusing how it's infinitely easier to just ignore everything north of Rome and instead take over all of Africa. Hmm let's see I could mess about with getting claims and then trying to deal with the HRE orrr I could just holy war the poo poo out of a bunch of tiny emirs and hey if someone calls jihad on me then the rest of Christendom comes running to help me beat their rear end.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well this just happened

So the mongols get a total subjugation war when they arrive and they can get to 99% before winning a single fight even though there's nothing out there and its a tiny fraction of my total counties they've pushed over. Fine. I have more people anyway, amazing generals, a great economy, a captive pope and shitloads of regerating troops like retinues and mercenaries. But you have to pare your stacks down small to move the men without your numbers totally disintegrating. A hazard the mongols don't seem to have judging by the 50k stack bouncing around like it was nothing. They kill one small stack because some loving raiders jumped in front of them.

I had the territory over there because the Pope called a crusade there and the kingdom that I kept for some reason expanded some. I wasn't really paying attention to them because I thought I could just abandon them to the mongols when they arrived without losing everything. I guess I never set them free because I wanted the taxes.

Anyway. just a bit annoying. Its from a Bavaria 869 start date. And of course almost all the king titles were leased through viceroyalties. No idea if they come back. The worst part is getting set back to loving gavelkind.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 3, 2017

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Darth Windu posted:

It's your vassal offering to do it and it's a good lesson for new players to never trust those pieces of poo poo

I started as an English Duke in the 1066 start post battle of hastings. I noticed I had the option to help King William out with his titles and he agreed. After I took the first 3 for myself, I kept expecting to get in trouble but he just kept letting me grab them until I owned a third of the country.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So apparently genius can devolve into quick I guess? Had this bastard kid that I was really excited to legitimize and I made sure to give him an educator with brawny so his rowdy trait wouldn't turn into dull except I guess that happened anyway?

I'm pretty sure this game has some secret AI in the code designed to sabotage any attempt at me getting a genius heir.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Listen man, I know he's your Steward, but trust me, I'm doing you a favor here. All I want is a Strong son-in-law in exchange for your Steward not actively hurting your reign.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gobblecoque posted:

So apparently genius can devolve into quick I guess? Had this bastard kid that I was really excited to legitimize and I made sure to give him an educator with brawny so his rowdy trait wouldn't turn into dull except I guess that happened anyway?

I'm pretty sure this game has some secret AI in the code designed to sabotage any attempt at me getting a genius heir.
Even though they are genetic traits, they are more on a spectrum where an event result is to make dumber, which means a genius becomes quick, a quick becomes de-traited, and nothing becomes dull. Since dull isn't genetic it shouldn't turn into imbecile while educating, but I think its possible if you get a dumber-ing event at some point in the life of a dullard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

It's pretty hard to get rules with very good genetic traits like that in power. Pretty sure that's by design as the devs no doubt anticipated people setting up eugenics programs to get a genius, strong, attractive ruler with a genius, strong, attractive heir. Good luck even getting one good genetic trait on two rulers in a row. Genius is freaking hard to get into power.

If it were that easy the game would be less fun :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Listen man, I know he's your Steward, but trust me, I'm doing you a favor here. All I want is a Strong son-in-law in exchange for your Steward not actively hurting your reign.

LOL. He's got 0 stewardship skill too. Literally anyone else would be a better replacement.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's pretty hard to get rules with very good genetic traits like that in power. Pretty sure that's by design as the devs no doubt anticipated people setting up eugenics programs to get a genius, strong, attractive ruler with a genius, strong, attractive heir. Good luck even getting one good genetic trait on two rulers in a row. Genius is freaking hard to get into power.

If it were that easy the game would be less fun :v:

Yeah, gone are the days of the Royal Eugenics Programs. They were fun, but what can you do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did it make it into 2, or was it only 1 where even outside traits, the kids' stat algorithm made it so any serious eugenics program could get into 20-40+ base stats.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Did it make it into 2, or was it only 1 where even outside traits, the kids' stat algorithm made it so any serious eugenics program could get into 20-40+ base stats.

It's pretty hard to guarantee anything over 15. I never played 1 but in 2 I've found it pretty hard to get anybody over 20 or to have all their stats in the teens. Getting one or two good stats isn't a chore but making gods is tough. Same goes for the really good genetic traits; even if both parents have it it can be hard to get an heir with it.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zero One posted:

LOL. He's got 0 stewardship skill too. Literally anyone else would be a better replacement.

It actually gets better, I was favored in the election to the HRE. I figured my 40 year old Emperor son-in-law would outlive me, so I didn't even think of it at the time of posting. Six Months later, I became Emperor of the HRE.

Of course, actually getting elected hosed me over, since I was about a year away from getting Bohemia Primogeniture instead of Seniority, so I have to hope and pray my 65 year old dude makes it another 5 years so I can secure my succession and I don't end up a dirt farmer. Which also means I'm probably done as once I hit King/Emperor I usually end up just quitting due to not really being a paint the map guy.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Stupid question about merchant republics: I know that doges can't inherit feudal titles anymore, but can they inherit tribal titles? I founded a merchant empire of Scandinavia immediately after gavelkind inheritance broke it into Sweden (me) and my brothers and cousins running the other kingdoms, all of whom chose independence. I tried pressing claims to get those kingdoms back, but I died halfway through the war, and now I'm just the Fylkir, trying to get some power back and raiding with all 12 of my guys. I'm strongly tempted to start again and be sensible, founding the merchant republic as soon as I can while the empire is intact, but if I can still turn this around, I'd like to. Can I still prepare an invasion as a patrician? Might try taking on Scotland, I hate those guys. Also might try knocking over Rome, so as to start the Crusades and Great Holy Wars sooner.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Zero One posted:

Adopt the wormhole system from Stellaris

Hmm. Can only go a certain range from an allied port, but free movement within that range? Could work. Maybe Vikings and Republics could have increased range, if you want to go that route. Would make Iceland near unplayable, though. Of course, then you'd need something to be given to the Aztecs to justify them, also....

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I finally did my main goal for my current game, getting the United the Kingdoms achievement, and now I just plan to kinda coast out the last 250~ years til the end so I can pick up the 769 to end achievement and I have 2 questions.

1. Will I also get the 867 to end achievement?

2. I've never had an emperor level guy with access to viceroyalities, and I'm wondering if I should bother? I haven't had too much trouble with vassals in the last 400~ years due to my policy of culling and pitting all of them against each other.

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm currently holding all the kingdom titles.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So that kid who went from genius to quick ended up alright (well he's still a few months away from coming of age so hey who knows what'll happen), gaining ambitious and diligent which balances out the loss pretty nicely. And I kinda ended up having to legitimize him and switch to ultimogeniture since my old heir got cancer and is now incapable. Although the new heir also became gay and chaste so I might be looking at a bit of a succession crisis in a few decades. :v:

• Locked thread