Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can you do a dynamic bead balance or something? I've always wanted to do one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Joys of an old parent. Home on vacation, sitting watching TV and my mom gets up then falls back down shaking.

Took her BP, 71/39 and hr of 39-40. Sister freaking the gently caress out, trying to get me to drive her to the ER, which is 40 miles away cause lol USA health system.

Ambulance takes 20m to show, because they get dispatched from 15 miles away (and are run by a county 45m away) and my sister rides with her.

I beat the ambulance to the hospital by almost 30 minutes.

loving love this place. Before they even started to stabilize her I had to find her insurance card and pay her copay (thankfully she even has insurance now, because of the ACA) and then they finally even started her vitals and a screening.

How the gently caress am I the youngest in the family but somehow the most composed when anything at all happens?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can you do a dynamic bead balance or something? I've always wanted to do one.

I use counteract beads on the set I have now. They knocked the vibration down a good bit, but manufacturers state they won't fix dynamic balance. I still get a little shimmy at 75+ but it's more tolerable than the huge wobble at 50 that I had before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Uh... no. The great majority of fire sprinklers are like the ones you have. What you have is what's called a wet pipe system, where the sprinklers always have water pressure behind them. Look at a fire sprinkler sometime. See that little (usually) red part in the middle? That's all that's holding the water back. It's full of liquid; once that liquid gets hot enough, the little vial pops, unleashing the water. There's no reason to cause water damage to an entire building when a fire may be limited to one room. Some of them may use a thermal fuse instead of the liquid vial, but the function is the same. This is also why the sprinkler itself has to be replaced after it's been triggered.

A deluge system is the kind you see portrayed in movies. They're out there, but not as common, and need something to trigger them (fire alarm system, etc). They also don't start spraying instantly like you see in movies, since the entire piping system for it is dry until triggered - so it takes a bit for the water to travel to everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler_system

https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/fire-supression/sprinklerheadtypes.html

The sprinkler system at my apartment was linked to the entire building. So when the old guy two units over on the first floor set his kitchen on fire my place got soaked.

Our last place had the same system setup but it had been illegally disconnected.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The sprinkler system at my apartment was linked to the entire building. So when the old guy two units over on the first floor set his kitchen on fire my place got soaked.

Man, that would have been terrible at my old condo. I think the guy on the ground floor passed out drunk with the toaster oven going at least a half dozen times in the three years I was there.

It was bad enough having to sit on the lawn with the cat in the middle of the night waiting for the FD.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah that's a dumbass set up. Every place I've lived that actually had sprinks had it individual room based.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To be fair, I lived in a few really lovely places.

Edit: And those were just the places that actually had supression systems. I lived in a 10 story building in Chicago that had NO sprinklers at all.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 4, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rdb posted:

There is a hunter gsp9700 road force balancer on CL right now for $495. Its older but they say it works... got the itch to spend money.

I've had my wheels balanced on a GSP9700 at a local company a couple of times now. It really does get rid of those tiny vibrations the ordinary machines can't quite handle, due to tires being ever so slightly out of round.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, I lived in a few really lovely places.

Edit: And those were just the places that actually had supression systems. I lived in a 10 story building in Chicago that had NO sprinklers at all.

Yeah but that was some time ago. Now most of them have some fire supresion. But I would deliver to old 6 story apartment buildings with no fire sprinkling system at all. And this is within the past 5 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

clam ache posted:

Yeah but that was some time ago. Now most of them have some fire supresion. But I would deliver to old 6 story apartment buildings with no fire sprinkling system at all. And this is within the past 5 years.

Good money says my old place in Chicago still doesn't. And I know for a fact nothing has changed at my old place here in town. They keep skirting under the new laws somehow.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Any building over 6000 Sq ft is required to have sprinklers per the local fire code. Houses included.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Good money says my old place in Chicago still doesn't. And I know for a fact nothing has changed at my old place here in town. They keep skirting under the new laws somehow.

Gotta keep those fire safety regulations from putting unjust burdens on slumlords Small Business Owners. :patriot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Previa_fun posted:

Gotta keep those fire safety regulations from putting unjust burdens on slumlords Small Business Owners. :patriot:

Stupid government regulations keeping money out of owner's pockets just to keep poors from burning. Unfair.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My mazda 6 threw a new CEL today. Instead of P0126, which went away after I threw in both a new sensor and thermostat, it is now P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). Initial searches indicate faulty thermostat.

:shepicide:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Sooooo, who knows about climbing or cargo netting? I have a terrible idea for the big, open space between our loft and bay windows at our family beach house that involves suspending a large 10'x8' net for laying on looking out the windows.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

My mazda 6 threw a new CEL today. Instead of P0126, which went away after I threw in both a new sensor and thermostat, it is now P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). Initial searches indicate faulty thermostat.

:shepicide:

You sure it was the right temperature thermostat? Has it been colder than usual where you're at?
What I'm saying is try some cardboard.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's having zero problems heating up. Coolant hits 85C and stays there once the engine is warm. The new tstat is 85C and I think the original is 80C, which I thought was a relatively minor difference between the ford and mazda versions of this engine.

Why would the ecu wait this long to complain though, I did the thermostat like what, a month ago?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

the spyder posted:

Sooooo, who knows about climbing or cargo netting? I have a terrible idea for the big, open space between our loft and bay windows at our family beach house that involves suspending a large 10'x8' net for laying on looking out the windows.

That sounds like a great time followed by a large hospital bill eventually.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's having zero problems heating up. Coolant hits 85C and stays there once the engine is warm. The new tstat is 85C and I think the original is 80C, which I thought was a relatively minor difference between the ford and mazda versions of this engine.

Why would the ecu wait this long to complain though, I did the thermostat like what, a month ago?

Might be the coolant temp sensor, then. If your gauge shows that it's getting up to temp, but the computer doesn't think it's at temp, the computer's sender might be out of whack. Can you back-probe the ECU sensor to see if its reading matches your gauge?

Actually, it's new enough that you can probably ask the computer directly via OBD2 what it thinks the coolant temp is. Is that where you got your 85C number from?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

That sounds like a great time followed by a large hospital bill eventually.

Ehhh they use something similar when they work on train tracks over water or open spaces. They used to regularly hold 8 or more 16 year olds for hours at a time. No better way to trip on mushrooms then laying in Those when the train goes by.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Might be the coolant temp sensor, then. If your gauge shows that it's getting up to temp, but the computer doesn't think it's at temp, the computer's sender might be out of whack. Can you back-probe the ECU sensor to see if its reading matches your gauge?

Actually, it's new enough that you can probably ask the computer directly via OBD2 what it thinks the coolant temp is. Is that where you got your 85C number from?

Yeah, I have a bluetooth obdii plug and used torque to poll the temp from the ECU.

The new sensor did come apart twice when I went to install it. Third time I redid the crimp and added some superglue but now suddenly I feel like I should pop the hood and put my hand back there and make sure it isn't loose and highly consider putting the old one back in since it wasn't the faulty part last time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clam ache posted:

Ehhh they use something similar when they work on train tracks over water or open spaces. They used to regularly hold 8 or more 16 year olds for hours at a time. No better way to trip on mushrooms then laying in Those when the train goes by.

I can think of millions of better ways to trip on mushrooms. Heights and me do not get along.

My little sister shipped off to boot camp today. Let's see if she makes it :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

The fire suppression systems in commercial kitchens are often deluge systems, which, I imagine, is where people get the idea that all sprinkler systems work the same way.

I work a lot with the fire suppression/alarm systems at my workplace/campus, and nothing works the same way and anything is possible. We have normal smoke detector + heat-tripped heads in most areas, smoke detector/heat-tripped heads + ANSUL heat detector-based chemical suppression sprayers in cooking areas, and smoke detector + heat-tripped heads on dry pipe systems in sensitive collection areas. There's also very sensitive air particulate sniffer systems tied into some areas. It's a gigantic clusterfuck and requires very specialized knowledge of each system/zone and how they all tie in together across hundreds of thousands of square feet and the alarm monitoring system as a whole/how to read it when the monitoring agency calls and says "uh you haev alarm in zone sixtythreeve on node ten"

The best story was when the dry pipe system (empty sprinkler pipes flooded rapidly via air compressor in event of particulate or smoke detector trigger) in a collections area (read: valuable priceless archives) primed due to construction dust setting off a detector... someone failed to drain the system (arcane knowledge on it's own) after the false alarm was cleared, and thus the pipes running through the cold-storage film locker froze overnight. It was deemed too risky to the collections to unfreeze the locker, so arctic-coated crews had to cut out the entire sprinkler system in the cold-storage and replace it.

:downs:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!

Lucky bastard!

bend
Dec 31, 2012
If it wasn't illegal, ineffective and generally wrong then I swear I would have spent the last 10 minutes beating my idiot ex instead of the heavy bag, 8 hours work a day is not an excuse to make a 14 year old girl take responsibility for her other four siblings 24/7, especially when you're a filthy loving hoarder. Before anyone says it we've been to court, the kid chose to move back six months ago, she has all sorts of issues around her mother and was trying to work out some of them. If she hadn't got a boy friend a month ago I'm fairly sure she'd be living with us full time again by the end of Jan the way things are going over there. I'll talk to her mum but I know from prior experience that does fuckall unless I back it up with legal action again, JUST START BEING A loving PARENT YOU DUMB oval office.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Oh yeah and congrats to kaptain Ballistik, she sounds like a catch and a half.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:stare:

Does she by the way have a younger sister who would like to move to Melbourne?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Way to go KB!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress yeah! Congrats Kaptain Ballistik!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Congratulations to KB. Don't let him write his own vows.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Congrats KB!

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/187165137

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So in November '15, I found this:

Seminal Flu posted:

My "classroom lesson on why not to use Wikipedia" from 10 years ago was to vandalize a random page during class. We'd laugh about it, then move on. Wikipedia would fix it some time later.

A few years ago, I found that in at least one instance, other pages had copy/pasted that vandalized page as their own work.

Now I just found the exact thing that I put in Wikipedia as a joke in a class published as fact in a text book.

And after some investigation, the publisher gives no poo poo, but the information is research gold, especially with our current focus on "fake news." If I gave a poo poo about academics, it's a perfect dissertation topic for my PhD, but I couldn't give a poo poo less about that. So what do I do with such information to best capitalize on it?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

That was really good.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Why is it so hard to buy a loving car? Find the car I want, go to the dealership and sit around for almost an hour since they are too busy to talk to me, at least got to check out the car, which had a flat tire. Told them I would be back in 2 days and to have a salesmen call me who I should deal with to make sure I wasn't sitting around next time. Start talking to the sales guy when I get back and apparently all Autonation dealers have a "1 price" policy now so they wont haggle at all. Drive the car, like it buy I still have to check a couple other cars. Decided over the weekend that I wanted that car, so I call the dealer back today to figure out details. He is trying to tell me that even tho I have already gotten approved for financing from my credit union that I have to fill out another application with them. And they have a policy that you can only put $2500 on a credit card, which is hosed since I was planning on putting $10k down on my credit card and paying it off in ~1 week when I get my TDI money from VW.

Of course I want a rather specific car(2013 MB e350 4matic, not black exterior, black interior and CPO) and this is the only car in the state that I can find that fulfills those criteria. And here I thought Mercedes dealers were supposed to be easier to deal with.....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

So in November '15, I found this:

And after some investigation, the publisher gives no poo poo, but the information is research gold, especially with our current focus on "fake news." If I gave a poo poo about academics, it's a perfect dissertation topic for my PhD, but I couldn't give a poo poo less about that. So what do I do with such information to best capitalize on it?

That's amazing. Like, holy poo poo amazing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slurry_curry posted:

And here I thought Mercedes dealers were supposed to be easier to deal with.....

Maybe if you weren't some Dirty Poor buying a used model instead of leasing a new one like a proper Person Of Money...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No you don't need to fill out poo poo. CU writes the check, you give it to them, you get car.

10k on the credit card though means they are out the fees, which are a reasonable amount in this situation, possibly over $300 to the cc company. Anything over like 3-4k I will offer a discount for sending a cashier's check or wire transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Phoenix drivers, particularly on I-10 have no idea what turn signals are, do they? And I won't even be here long enough to see the zip tie drags.

In better news, greats KB!

• Locked thread