Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

that's not a parking spot, jerk :argh:

It's parked there, so clearly, it is a parking spot. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would really love to see how the hell they did that. Other than a helicopter. :aaa:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the debris, it had to have come from behind the photographer's position right? The guardrail behind the car is undamaged and there's nothing that looks like a ramp back there anyways.

I'd think they'd have to be moving pretty quick though, maybe an elevated road they slid off?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

kastein posted:

I would really love to see how the hell they did that. Other than a helicopter. :aaa:

Vodka?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That looks like a promotion to me.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Haha guys, that is clearly an ad, placed there on purpose. Like as a little billboard on a side of a road. It could probably be done with a small rented crane, no?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There would be more damage if the car had landed there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have become convinced that if winter tires were mandatory, and people just extended their following distance, and decreased their speed as appropriate, there would be a drastic reduction in winter-conditions-related accidents.

I'm doing this poo poo in a Mustang, and I didn't even have a single anus-clenching moment (largely because I expect poor traction, and then am pleasantly surprised when it's better than expected), how do the rest of these morons cause so many accidents every time it snows?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Because to the average person 4x4 means you can drive in an ice storm on worn out $40 all-seasons with no consequences.

I live just outside of NE Ohio's "snow belt" and if I had a dollar for every time someone acted like RWD in the snow means guaranteed death I'd be a millionaire.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

PT6A posted:

I have become convinced that if winter tires were mandatory, and people just extended their following distance, and decreased their speed as appropriate, there would be a drastic reduction in winter-conditions-related accidents.

I'm doing this poo poo in a Mustang, and I didn't even have a single anus-clenching moment (largely because I expect poor traction, and then am pleasantly surprised when it's better than expected), how do the rest of these morons cause so many accidents every time it snows?

I still prefer my method: I'm scared to death to drive in snow so I avoid it whenever possible.

Living in Dallas also really helps; since that means I end up avoiding snow maybe two days out of 365.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

I live just outside of NE Ohio's "snow belt" and if I had a dollar for every time someone acted like RWD in the snow means guaranteed death I'd be a millionaire.

A RWD pickup with nothing in the bed is pretty bad though.

You get good fast. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm also becoming increasingly sure that RWD with a LSD is about 100 times better than a FWD without one...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anything with LSD is better than open. I'd take cross-corner with LSD over open anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think driving on LSD is a very bad idea no matter what WD your vehicle has.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

I got stuck driving a POS 1997 or 98 2WD Ford Ranger in a Minnesota blizzard once. I was praying that I would make to Fargo before my luck ran out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Awd with no lsds can kind of suck too. Especially when your car has been plowed in. Had to go get a drat shovel to get my car out the other day. Although that was before the new snow tires got mounted.

Been meaning to find a used oem lsd, the viscous ones aren't great but would be better than nothing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

drat right. My first daily driver was an '03 Ranger where the only options were the long bed and the V6. Stick shift, RWD, and lovely Continental tires with a country school district that rarely closes was a trial by fire for 16 year old me.

My BMW with Blizzaks and traction control is a walk in the park by comparison.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

drat right. My first daily driver was an '03 Ranger where the only options were the long bed and the V6. Stick shift, RWD, and lovely Continental tires with a country school district that rarely closes was a trial by fire for 16 year old me.

My BMW with Blizzaks and traction control is a walk in the park by comparison.

My first was a mighty max, but it had AWD. Every once in a while I'd switch it to RWD "just to see what it was like" and pretty much instantly regretted it.

My dad told me when I was shoveling the driveway for the first couple snows to dump it all into the bed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 65 mustang was like that in the snow. No weight on the rear. We put several sandbags back there to improve the grip.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only thing sketchier than my RWD empty pickup on street tires was the same pickup after I lifted it, removed the swaybars, 4WD swapped it, mantrans swapped it, and... Put an automatic difflock in the front. I thought I was ready, I wasn't. The first time I drove it in the snow it was awesome fun till I let off the throttle going around a corner half a mile from home - and was barely giving it any gas before letting off - and the locker unloaded and suddenly I was halfway through switching ends. Yeah, I went in the snowbank, but the same locker got me right back out after I was done being the person you share a ditch with.

Auto lockers aren't bad once you are used to them, I love it now, but it sure was a surprise.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have to say, moving from a FWD Honda with no ABS and mismatched budget all-seasons to a 2017 Escape SE with the intelligent 4WD, traction control, ABS and decent tires is really, really wonderful.

It's also funny hearing my sister bitch about how awful her Focus is in the snow when I did fine in my literal deathtrap Honda.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Nthing the "LSD is the only way to go regardless of what wheels are driving" sentiment.

My Quaife LSD-equipped Focus was able to drag itself out of a snow-covered yard (used to park it at my parents' house when I had a company car and lived in an apartment with limited parking) on summer tires without skipping a beat, and its a beast in the snow when equipped with snow tires.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday I stopped by to check out a castle on the way home and it was snowing a bit already as I made my way up the hill. It's not particularly high but I had two hairpin turns to drift :getin:

Anyway, it kept snowing and by the time I was going back everything was covered in a few cm of snow - not too much, but pretty drat slippery, I even fell over on the way down. Expecting some more doriftu action, I attached my gopro knockoff and set off. In the very first corner I came across BMW X3-xdrive35 whatever stuck in a ditch on the outside of the corner with three sad looking guys next to it.

I checked that they were ok and went on my way as there's no way I'm pulling them out with a miata. But what I think happened is fairly typical - they had a good amount of grip taking off and as result went too fast, then braked, locked up the wheels and slid off the road. Moral of the story is that rwd is fine and its lack of grip will remind you to slow down and have fun, I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really liked the gerotor pump diffs in my Jeep, they were brilliant in snow.

Though for the most part, as long as you can actually get/keep moving, your traction probably isn't the biggest problem, I find something which has poor feedback is what really makes it hard work, and it's interesting that the things that make for less than optimal road handling and feedback are the same things people think they need on a rufty-tufty "winter" vehicle. They end up with a heavy truck or SUV with live axles and a steering box, and quite possibly leaf springs too. And then they wonder why they end up in a ditch. Because the vehicle regards the idea of telling you what's going on - or taking your advice as to what it should do - as being definitely optional.

For me the ultimate winter car is something car like on winter tyres and preferably good 4wd, by which I mean actual mechanical stuff, not electronics trying to interpret what's needed at the time.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'm never going to drive with my boss again. She messes with her phone while she drives, and cruises in the left lane and bitches when people pass her on the right, since she is doing the speed limit. She complains about people running stop signs in parking lots, but runs normal ones on the road if no one is coming, which isn't helped by afore mentioned phone dicking around. She also smokes in the car and will turn around to talk to you while she drives. Jesus, a one hour ride probably gave me my first grey hairs.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 4, 2017

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

wolrah posted:

My first car was a 1988 S-10 pickup regular cab with a long box, v6 with a three foot long stick shifter. That sucker was so light in back that it only took myself and one friend to lift the back end off the ground. It's previous life had been a department of agriculture truck in Iowa that was only used in the summertime consequently had some very old, bald and rotten tires on it. I drove that fucker, on those lovely tires, through 4 Minnesota winters.

It was hilarious, I spent as much time sideways as I did going forward. I still cannot believe that I never wrecked that sucker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saw a very diverse collections of Jeeps spun into medians and snowbanks and the like today.

I guess they aren't magic when it comes to winter driving after all :rolleyes:

There's also been a bunch of people whining about the lack of salt on the roads. Hey, poo poo for brains, that won't do a goddamn thing when it's -25, will it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

I guess they aren't magic when it comes to winter driving after all :rolleyes:

From a few years ago:

quote:

There's also been a bunch of people whining about the lack of salt on the roads. Hey, poo poo for brains, that won't do a goddamn thing when it's -25, will it?

Calcium chloride melts down to -25F. It's relatively expensive though, but it is technically an option!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

kastein posted:

Auto lockers aren't bad once you are used to them, I love it now, but it sure was a surprise.

I think this is the main reason people are such lovely drivers in the snow. They never learn what to expect when driving in the snow even if they've lived with it their entire lives.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

Yup, my winter trial with my brother and dad involved taking his Ranger out to an abandoned parking lot and practicing "handling" in the snow

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup, my winter trial with my brother and dad involved taking his Ranger out to an abandoned parking lot and practicing "handling" in the snow

Just don't drag a priest down the parking lot with you and drive off.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/24/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens-court.html

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'm never going to drive with my boss again. She messes with her phone while she drives, and cruises in the left lane and bitches when people pass her on the right, since she is doing the speed limit. She complains about people running stop signs in parking lots, but runs normal ones on the road if no one is coming, which isn't helped by afore mentioned phone dicking around. She also smokes in the car and will turn around to talk to you while she drives. Jesus, a one hour ride probably gave me my first grey hairs.

I just remembered this show exists and it's giving me grey hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emaxtEDtUPM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tarantula posted:

I just remembered this show exists and it's giving me grey hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emaxtEDtUPM

Well, if you watch the final episode, you'll rip that grey hair out (along with the rest of your hair).

EDIT: Actually, never mind. That season proceeds exactly the way you'd expect it to, and it ends the way you knew it must after watching only the first part of the first episode.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 4, 2017

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I saw a perfect example of lovely snow driving yesterday, which I must admit did fill me with some schadenfreude at the time.

It was snowing last night here in Stockholm, and when I was driving home there was about 5cm or so on the ground and really slippery. Pretty late, so very light traffic, almost everyone being very cautious and going pretty slow (about the appropriate amount). At an intersection (turning left from Hornsgatan onto Långholmsgatan/Liljeholmsbron), there are normally two left-turn lanes. However, the lanes are pretty narrow, and with all the lines and things covered in snow and people generally keeping their distance there was just one line of cars waiting at the red light, to the left of the middle (mostly in what would have been left lane, somwhat in the right). I was second last in that line of 5-6 cars.

The light turned green and the queue started moving pretty slowly, and just before I was passing the light a dude in a VW Amarok passed me in what remained of the right lane. Going maybe 40-50km/h, lots faster than everyone else, because hey, he has 4WD. I had seen him in my mirrors and kept a bit to the left, but it was very close to the car in front of me, the truck fitting barely between the car to the left and the island with the lights on it to the right. Then, as he went through the turn, he was just going a bit too fast and didn't have better turning/braking than anyone else, so he slid away across the pretty wide road (it widens and has a bus lane after the turn), and slammed into the curb at a a bus stop. There were no people or other cars there for him to hit, and the high curb kept him on the road. He managed to slow down for the most part and wasn't going very fast when he hit, but I imagine his front right wheel and suspension has some complaints on his driving.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Well, if you watch the final episode, you'll rip that grey hair out (along with the rest of your hair).

EDIT: Actually, never mind. That season proceeds exactly the way you'd expect it to, and it ends the way you knew it must after watching only the first part of the first episode.

Holy poo poo. I've seen some CWD before but this time they seem to have some people with serious mental health issues. And I'm not talking about the literally brain damaged guy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo. I've seen some CWD before but this time they seem to have some people with serious mental health issues. And I'm not talking about the literally brain damaged guy.

And to no one's surprise, all the craziest people are from Alberta.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PT6A posted:

Saw a very diverse collections of Jeeps spun into medians and snowbanks and the like today.

This happened right in front of me on my way to work a couple weeks ago:

But in fairness, I don't think it was the Jeep's fault. Red-light runner caught it on the corner and rolled it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phanatic posted:

This happened right in front of me on my way to work a couple weeks ago:

But in fairness, I don't think it was the Jeep's fault. Red-light runner caught it on the corner and rolled it.

:stonk:

Was everyone ok?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Stealing this one from Reddit because it's such sweet schadenfreude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdKCSQJpU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iospace posted:

:stonk:

Was everyone ok?

Lady in the jeep was shaken but not stirred. I was impressed at how little damage there was to the jeep. Woman in the minivan that struck her seemed fine too.