Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
In a bit of news, the DOOM soundtrack is finally available on itunes
I wanted to hold a thread contest for a giveaway, but it would appear that itunes gifts can only be redeemed in the country of purchase, so gently caress that
(I also can't think of a contest to save my life)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That fight at the end is what ended my nightmare run. A complete brick wall.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The BFG looks and sounds less powerful than the railgun. Disappointing

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm Russian, yes. It's actually an early New Years gift, because that's when gifts are given in the former Soviet Union, as opposed to either of the two Christmases
Fun fact: the Russian Orthodox Church is actually really similar to the UAC

Do you celebrate New Years on the 1st or 15th of January?

Slaan posted:

Just wait until Alexey swaps out the suppressor mod.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Hilariously, it's also more difficult to use properly than the railgun, which I guess is inevitable when the BFG is repurposed from being "the biggest loving gun in your arsenal" to an "oh poo poo" button akin to something like Serious Bombs in Serious Sam: TSE and on

White Coke posted:

Do you celebrate New Years on the 1st or 15th of January?

1st

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 31, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think this is more of a statement of how awesome the railgun is. Easily my favorite weapon in this one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

You are much better at this game than me but I would not be doing my job as some random rear end in a top hat on the internet if I didn't tell you that a carefully placed jump and rocket (as distinct from rocket jump) from that rocket launcher you rarely use turns Your Worst Enemy into a baby-backed chump.

Oh, I know these things, technically
Another thing that can be done is shooting a rocket a bit to the side of the shield guy and then remotely detonating it once it's past the shield line
But it's easier said than done, so I prefer running the hell away and gibbing them with the Cannon of Gauss :v:

anilEhilated posted:

I think this is more of a statement of how awesome the railgun is. Easily my favorite weapon in this one.

This game could just have the railgun and the super shotgun and it would still be complete

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Guys I know things have gotten a bit strange since my misspent youth, but I'm pretty sure it's only the fundamentalist Russian Orthodox who use the old calendar, and it really only applies to religious feast days.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The only problem with the railgun is that it just... it doesn't have the right sound to really feel oomphy. Like, the super shotgun, the minigun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle, etc. always have great sounds. But the railgun, even siege mode, I rarely realize how much damage it's done until a hellknight keels over with half his body gone.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Speaking of the minigun with turret mode, chewing through ammo as fast as it does is a feature rather than a downside since it gives you a weapon that kills fast using bullets in a way that is similar to the railgun alt modes. :v:
Of course once you get a couple of the later runes and master it you can literally fire it non-stop, showering demons in a turrent of lead. :black101:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Got the game as a present, and so far as amazing. My one gripe though is that this will be hell on my hard drive- what the hell did Bethesda need to do for 30 gigs worth of patches? Is this like Wolfenstein The New Order, where they upped the texture quality in the campaign with a patch? Or is it just multiplayer/Snapmap stuff?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Uncompressed 4k textures, VO and localization files you can't take out are rapidly making 60GB installs The New Normal

The texture upgrades in the remastered versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Shadows of Mordor both almost double the installs to 30+gigs iirc

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

Uncompressed 4k textures, VO and localization files you can't take out are rapidly making 60GB installs The New Normal

The texture upgrades in the remastered versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Shadows of Mordor both almost double the installs to 30+gigs iirc

And Snapmap, I assume, needs a *lot* of textures. So what's in the patches, if you don't mind me asking? As a person with no interest in the multiplayer or snapmap, would it be better for me to just never patch the game? I didn't hear of the game running poorly on launch.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There's a snow level coming up in a few updates, so I've had a random idea to record it in Russian with English subtitles (because, well, snow=cold=Russia), and need the thread's opinion:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12019556

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I vote one episode in Russian because it's a good joke, but might drag on too long/be too much work to do it for both.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It could be an interesting change of pace. Why not.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
One video sounds like fun. Two might be pushing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

There's a snow level coming up in a few updates, so I've had a random idea to record it in Russian with English subtitles (because, well, snow=cold=Russia), and need the thread's opinion:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12019556

Cheeki those demons' breekis.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You said the BFG gets three shots and is a room-clearing OHSHI~ button.

Did you mean three shots total? As in, you get three insta-clears and that's it, no ammo for you?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Did you mean three shots total? As in, you get three insta-clears and that's it, no ammo for you?
You can find ammo but it's extremely rare.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

No-no, I meant that you can hold up to three charges, just like you can only hold a limited number of chainsaw "charges". There is ammo for it, but, as anilEhilated said, it is rare compared to other ammo types

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Cheeki those demons' breekis.

You'll be disappointed, I don't use Russian gaming lingo :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

...Marine

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You couldn't think of a good Lazarus joke, huh? Wait three days, and I'm sure it'll appear.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
While I'm sure it'd be cool to hear you speak your native language for one mission, Alexy, time spent reading subtitles is time not spent watching demons die. As such, I had to vote no on the strawpoll. That being said however, if you keep the Russian to the bits where no demons are being dismembered, that'd be cool.

And no, I'm not joking.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

While I'm sure it'd be cool to hear you speak your native language for one mission, Alexy, time spent reading subtitles is time not spent watching demons die. As such, I had to vote no on the strawpoll. That being said however, if you keep the Russian to the bits where no demons are being dismembered, that'd be cool.

And no, I'm not joking.

That's actually a good point, I'll do exactly that if the poll ends up favoring one of the "yes" options

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I'm sad I never got the Rich Get Richer rune on my run.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Alexeythegreat posted:

No-no, I meant that you can hold up to three charges, just like you can only hold a limited number of chainsaw "charges". There is ammo for it, but, as anilEhilated said, it is rare compared to other ammo types

I equate this as "not enough things to kill" when I don't get a bfg charge with the ammo rune

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

On the topic of ego depletion, which you referenced in the latter half of the video ("motivation is a finite resource")...well, it may still exist, but after a recent replication study the model has been weakened if not refuted. There's actually a neat cartoon by Maki Naro (among other things, he's a science communicator) about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Re: uses for the rocket launcher, I think you could do worse than using them on possessed soldiers and groups of imps. It can reliably kill the former in one hit at any range and kill multiples of the latter with the after-detonation (or kill just one that's not staying still that fucker), and what else would one really use those rockets for? Ironically, it's not a super powerful weapon and I didn't tend to use it on big targets after I got the gauss gun. Clearing out chaff is a good use for it.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Looking at the cover art for this game, I never really noticed before how you can just barely make out the Doom Marine's face inside his helmet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I almost completely forgot to mention it, by the way, but good editing at the Rune Challenge in the last video, Alexey.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I almost completely forgot to mention it, by the way, but good editing at the Rune Challenge in the last video, Alexey.

This game's soundtrack lends itself exceptionally well to fast-forwarded videos.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One thing that's good about siege mode, the energy field around it does damage independent of the bolt, a direct hit on a pinkie with siege mode won't kill it because the bolt dissipates, but a near miss will because you shred him with the field across the entire length of travel and the field ignores armor hit locations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If Metro Last Light has taught me anything, it's that Russians swearing is cool. So I would very much like this opportunity to learn new (Russian) swears.

сука

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blarghalt posted:

Looking at the cover art for this game, I never really noticed before how you can just barely make out the Doom Marine's face inside his helmet.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Re: uses for the rocket launcher, I think you could do worse than using them on possessed soldiers and groups of imps. It can reliably kill the former in one hit at any range and kill multiples of the latter with the after-detonation (or kill just one that's not staying still that fucker), and what else would one really use those rockets for? Ironically, it's not a super powerful weapon and I didn't tend to use it on big targets after I got the gauss gun. Clearing out chaff is a good use for it.

Yes, but then you also have cacodemons, pinkies, and hell knights :v:

Blarghalt posted:

It varies from cover art to cover art, actually. The original cover art that I intended to use for the OP didn't have the face visible. Then I realized that I want to put a stroke around "DOOM", and to do that, I took a cover image without "DOOM" and put "DOOM" on it myself. The image that I found already had Doomguy's face visible. You can also barely make his face out on the praetor suit upgrades screen

lmao

PurpleXVI posted:

Aumanor posted:

This game's soundtrack lends itself exceptionally well to fast-forwarded videos.

That it does, and thanks
Now we know the go-to timelapse soundtrack that doesn't get randomly copyrighted

double nine posted:

If Metro Last Light has taught me anything, it's that Russians swearing is cool. So I would very much like this opportunity to learn new (Russian) swears.

сука

You'll be disappointed, I swear more in English than I do in Russian :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes, but then you also have cacodemons, pinkies, and hell knights :v:

Yeah, that's fair, these are really very bad applications of the rocket launcher. I'm just saying it's not all bad for the assigned weapon in that challenge! Just, in terms of raw hit points, mostly bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Do Russians typically swear a lot, or are they too depressed by life to even do that? They don't even show emotion on those dashboard cam videos where crazy poo poo happens right in front of their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard somewhere (hell, it might even have been this thread) that on the whole, Russians don't really swear or even show much open emotion because word choice can often get something across more forcefully than shouting 'gently caress!!1!' with wide open eyes or the like.

• Locked thread