Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

World of warships missions own. Does world of tanks have things like signal flags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
We only use water to drown in. Just like God intended.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

World of warships missions own. Does world of tanks have things like signal flags?
Nope, because WoT is older than dirt and has a codebase made of spaghetti and spit (trust me I've seen it) they have none of the awesomeness that Warships has.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

real_scud posted:

Nope, because WoT is older than dirt and has a codebase made of spaghetti and spit (trust me I've seen it) they have none of the awesomeness that Warships has.

And yet Wargaming is still fully committed to running both into the ground.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cartoon posted:

One game does not a mission complete. Also gently caress You.

The saddest thing I saw last night was failing seal clubbers in H35s. How terrible do you have to be to lose against tanks that can not pen you at all*? And that was in a series of five matches where I got over three kills each time and my side (including me) still managed to lose every one. Two 'free' garage slots are NOT worth the grief.

On a server with a decent population at low tiers it might be a mildly novel diversion but NA is just loving horrid for these missions in my experience.

* RNG and weak point knowledge notwithstanding.

It's not like the L-60 gets pref matchmaking like the T7 or VIC. Just platoon with a power tier two like the Cruiser 3 or Minimaus and have fun.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Just did my yearly update of my tank and warship clients.

Why do i keep doing this to myself

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

just had a 5 a side arty match at tier 9 on el halluf followed by a 3 a side on hitlerdorf, is there some kind of artyfest on at the moment? Also I discovered I can draw dongs on the minimap now, is that part of a mod or did WG make a good thing?

Drawing on the map is an XVM thing that frequently breaks the game, XMQP or something. It's a setting on the modxvm website.

VietCampo posted:

Just did my yearly update of my tank and warship clients.

Why do i keep doing this to myself

You're dumb. Also what about Warplanes.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Drawing on the map is an XVM thing that frequently breaks the game, XMQP or something. It's a setting on the modxvm website.

You're dumb. Also what about Warplanes.

Can't handle all 3, too much badness for me.

edit: wait people actually still play warplanes?

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Also what about Warplanes.

Don't trigger me!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You guys know how the aiming circle shrinks, but doesn't move if you're zoomed in because it has a maximum size so the end result is that you can't really tell if it's still taking forever to aim or you're already fully aimed in? Is there any solution for that? I need something, some kind of mod that doesn't freeze the goddamn aim circle while it's actively aiming in.

Also for those interested, I recently got a 1070, which is great and totally overkill for WoT. The only issue was that at one point I noticed I was getting like sub-30-FPS for some reason. It turns out it was most likely the "max farplane" mod, because after removing that (which came with a "may reduce your fps with this mod" warning) everything is smooth again.

Hellsau posted:

I do recommend having some convertible XP if you plan on doing a lot of high-level clan wars or tournaments, or if you're a total whale that wants to shovel money to Wargaming. I did a shitload of strongholds and have like 3 million convertible XP on a bunch of tier 6 and 8 tanks, and nothing to spend the free XP on. ExiaFS is willing to give money to Wargaming for some reason, but doesn't have enough convertible XP to skip past all the lovely module grinds on his tanks. You don't want to be in the situation where you're totally willing to pay money to get out of the A-44 but don't actually have the convertible XP available to do so.

I'll let you in on a secret: I've never used Accelerate Crew Training, I convert all my locked XP to free (when it's on sale.) :3:

Barry posted:

I'm sure there's worse, but stock it's about the equivalent of a decent T5 medium. The stock gun has 126 pen, 160 alpha and ~6s reload. Takes a ton of exp to get the 100mm. Guess I'll just hunt squishies for a while.

This is where the free xp conversations loops back around; use it to get the gun (and tracks if necessary) on the 34/100. There's no reason to play a tier 7 MT as if it's a tier 5 MT that sees tier 9s; it sucks that it costs money, but free xp is the way to go. If it makes you feel better, just keep in mind that it's otherwise a free-to-play game and you can afford to throw it a few bucks here and there to make the experience less painful for yourself.

NotWearingPants posted:

I see people bringing the 59-16s to strongholds. Is it good? How does it compare to the t37 for example. I love autoloaders because I'm bad.

Steel pretty much covered it. That 76 mm autoloader is a gimmick, but it's not good enough to keep it over any of the other tier 6 LTs, and the 57 mm is still a peashooter. I grinded it, sold it, re-bought it, and sold it again. There are too many other competent LTs (t37, vk2801, Type 64, etc.) to accept the 59-16's compromises.

localloop posted:

Conundrum - I have a spare female British crewmember languishing because I am an idiot and recruited 5 for the heavy line, not bothering to note that only 4 are necessary starting at the Caern. Are any other Brit lines worth it - I am up to the FV3805, but that is already a 3 skill crew, and I am up to the Comet, but I hear the remainder of that line is kind of garbo. Short question then, any other lines worth running so I can move some of soon-to-be-earned lady tankers in?

The UK MTs are decent, and the tier 10 is better than the FV4202 that it replaced. It's worth heading up that line, or even going up to the Charioteer on the 2nd TD line.

Cartoon posted:

One game does not a mission complete. Also gently caress You.

The saddest thing I saw last night was failing seal clubbers in H35s. How terrible do you have to be to lose against tanks that can not pen you at all*? And that was in a series of five matches where I got over three kills each time and my side (including me) still managed to lose every one. Two 'free' garage slots are NOT worth the grief.

On a server with a decent population at low tiers it might be a mildly novel diversion but NA is just loving horrid for these missions in my experience.

* RNG and weak point knowledge notwithstanding.

To be fair, while the Hotchkiss used to be tough, everyone just switches to gold shells now and there are TDs at-tier that can pen it.

McGavin posted:

And yet Wargaming is still fully committed to running both into the ground.

Since you mentioned that it reminded me of a video that just showed up in my YT feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFDHX22nh4

It's a "guy who shoots interesting things" channel, and in that video he's shooting an AT rifle at steel plates because it's sponsored by Wargaming, makers of the Fabulous Hit Game World of Tanks! Notice how the Wargaming-supplied footage, though, isn't of any in-game, in-battle content (aside from the in-garage shots :rolleyes:.) Way to misrepresent your game, Wargaming; that will surely make new players want to hang around after trying one battle! :jerkbag:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Atomizer posted:

You guys know how the aiming circle shrinks, but doesn't move if you're zoomed in because it has a maximum size so the end result is that you can't really tell if it's still taking forever to aim or you're already fully aimed in? Is there any solution for that? I need something, some kind of mod that doesn't freeze the goddamn aim circle while it's actively aiming in.

i usually just zoom out a step or two when that's an issue

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I spend most of my time in Russian heavies, also in the video game World of Tanks I play mostly Russian heavy tanks. Am I understanding my role correctly:

• Take the point on heavily traffic'd areas
  • Position myself such that I can take advantage of our scouts by making high impact long range shots.
  • Should I be trying to be one of the tanks on the objective when I'm playing those types of maps?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

your primary role is to assault and quickly roll over any scrub driving an inferior tank (they're all inferior)

the tricky part is doing this without dying

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Am I understanding my role correctly:

What tank are you in? Deal damage to enemy tanks early and attempt to remove enemy guns from the field while also denying the enemy prime positions to murder your idiots. If you're playing solo, it does not matter what tank you are in, if you are not killing the enemy swiftly you're going to be losing a lot.

The only thing a different tank type should cause you to adapt is how specifically you're going to murder the enemy tanks. If you're in a KV-1 top tier, for instance, you need to go straight forwards as fast as possible such that you can find one enemy tank and hold left click on that enemy tank while angling your armor such that your fantastic weapons and good survivability allow you to kill the enemy tank before its teammates wise up, before that enemy tank runs away, and before your team loses too many idiots. If you're a KV-1 bottom tier, you need to just get into a spot where you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks. If you're in an IS top tier, you need to be slightly behind the dumbest least cowardly pubbie you can find, let them get shot, then shoot the enemy tank with your high damage gun. Once you've shot a lot of enemy tanks, you can make a judgment whether you can accept a shot from an enemy to kill it, or accept two of their shots to shoot them for 780 damage (and probably kill them) such that your team is able to start a snowball where you kill some half health idiot, then press W and kill some low health tank, then start wasting oneshotable enemies left and right. If you're an IS bottom tier, you try to shoot enemy tanks such that you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks.

If you look at your tank and think, "Oh, it's a three line square I need to go to the grinder and just hold the enemy/tank damage," or, "Oh it's a triangle I need to snipe," you're going to have a bad time. The particular type of tank you're in means literally nothing. It is your tanks particular characteristics that matter. The only thing you need to care about is doing the most amount of left clicking in a game while also doing the most amount of left clicking early enough to try to cause a snowball victory.

And turn off Encounter and Assault in the options, pubbies literally do not know that there are different game modes and will try to cap the enemy spawn instead of the big white circle, or will try to cap the enemy out when they're on defense.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hellsau posted:

What tank are you in? Deal damage to enemy tanks early and attempt to remove enemy guns from the field while also denying the enemy prime positions to murder your idiots. If you're playing solo, it does not matter what tank you are in, if you are not killing the enemy swiftly you're going to be losing a lot.

The only thing a different tank type should cause you to adapt is how specifically you're going to murder the enemy tanks. If you're in a KV-1 top tier, for instance, you need to go straight forwards as fast as possible such that you can find one enemy tank and hold left click on that enemy tank while angling your armor such that your fantastic weapons and good survivability allow you to kill the enemy tank before its teammates wise up, before that enemy tank runs away, and before your team loses too many idiots. If you're a KV-1 bottom tier, you need to just get into a spot where you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks. If you're in an IS top tier, you need to be slightly behind the dumbest least cowardly pubbie you can find, let them get shot, then shoot the enemy tank with your high damage gun. Once you've shot a lot of enemy tanks, you can make a judgment whether you can accept a shot from an enemy to kill it, or accept two of their shots to shoot them for 780 damage (and probably kill them) such that your team is able to start a snowball where you kill some half health idiot, then press W and kill some low health tank, then start wasting oneshotable enemies left and right. If you're an IS bottom tier, you try to shoot enemy tanks such that you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks.

If you look at your tank and think, "Oh, it's a three line square I need to go to the grinder and just hold the enemy/tank damage," or, "Oh it's a triangle I need to snipe," you're going to have a bad time. The particular type of tank you're in means literally nothing. It is your tanks particular characteristics that matter. The only thing you need to care about is doing the most amount of left clicking in a game while also doing the most amount of left clicking early enough to try to cause a snowball victory.

And turn off Encounter and Assault in the options, pubbies literally do not know that there are different game modes and will try to cap the enemy spawn instead of the big white circle, or will try to cap the enemy out when they're on defense.

Thanks, this is great info. I just now got to the IS-3.

e: I'm also grinding German TD's. At the Jg.Pz. IV now.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 4, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Prav posted:

i usually just zoom out a step or two when that's an issue

But that's the problem, there's always doubt as to whether you're still aiming or not. Being fully aimed and still having to zoom out just to check doesn't help.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

get a sharpie and draw a dashed outline on your monitor at the maximum circle size. that way you'll know if you're hitting the cap or not :greencube:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

get a sharpie and draw a dashed outline on your monitor at the maximum circle size. that way you'll know if you're hitting the cap or not :greencube:

also helps with #snapshotmeta to tell where your shell will go at max bloom

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So is the Cromwell actually considered OP? Asking for a friend.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

So is the Cromwell actually considered OP? Asking for a friend.

It isn't OP, it's just very good at going fast and scouting and shooting and hitting laughably unlikely shots. Up close it'll machine gun everything, far away it can outspot stuff and spew shots off with good gun depression.

it's a fun tank in other words

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's the Cromwell B that's pretty blatantly overpowered. The tech tree Cromwell is just a better Easy 8.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzG_HVBN94c

Early Russian RNG video.

That loving ricochet.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's the Cromwell B that's pretty blatantly overpowered. The tech tree Cromwell is just a better Easy 8.
Actually the B is pretty much identical to the normal one. Tanks.gg says it has much better hull traverse and terrain resistance, but the former is because of WG's retarded way of displaying hull traverse (based on the stock engine because lol) and is not true in practice.
As for the latter, I don't know but wouldn't be surprised if it was also some display fuckery.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Isn't the B a premium?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Isn't the B a premium?

and, for a limited time only, you can own one for the low low price of 39 dollars and 98 cents.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

or you can Buy My Tank Guys and have the cromwell B and a whole pile more!!!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I found this neat little note in the wikipedia article for the tiger I:

quote:

Indoor exhibit in good condition. Mid 1944 version with overlapping roadwheels adopted from the Tiger II, fitted with narrow transport tracks. This Tiger was part of the 2nd company of the SS Heavy Panzer Battalion 102, fought in the Cauville sector, and was abandoned by her crew after a mechanical breakdown. She was recommissioned as Colmar with the 2nd squadron of the 6th Cuirassier Regiment, fighting all the way back to Germany.

So, if wargaming ever got bored enough, you think we'd ever get a french tiger?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
and ftr I think it's a goddamn crime that Tiger 131 isn't a british premium

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't know about tigers, but the french used a whole bunch of panthers for as long as they lasted after the war

which wasn't terribly long, mind you. anyway, there's room for a premium there.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Salean posted:

or you can Buy My Tank Guys and have the cromwell B and a whole pile more!!!

Buy My EVE Guys

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buy my book! Buy my book!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, this is great info. I just now got to the IS-3.

e: I'm also grinding German TD's. At the Jg.Pz. IV now.

I hated the jg pz 4 but I hate the jg panther more.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I hated the jg pz 4 but I hate the jg panther more.

It's absurd how much better the E-25 and SU-122-44 are than the JPanther.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think I've maxed out the view range on my Cromwell B at 437 meters. I have vents, optics, BIA, situational awareness and recon. Am I missing something that could get me up to max view range? (445 right?)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

I think I've maxed out the view range on my Cromwell B at 437 meters. I have vents, optics, BIA, situational awareness and recon. Am I missing something that could get me up to max view range? (445 right?)

Nope, the Cromwell isn't really going to outspot some doofus camping a bush with binocs and net, but you don't need to. The Cromwell's camo is really good, so you get to do scouting runs without being spotted first which is really what matters.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What the poo poo is a KRUPP-STEYR WAFFENTRAGER????

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

NotWearingPants posted:

You could run food if you really wanted to max it out for funsies.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rorac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzG_HVBN94c

Early Russian RNG video.

That loving ricochet.

Yo this makes WoT actually look good.
What is this magic.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
that e25 killing the t34 triggered me. please put a trigger warning next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What the poo poo is a KRUPP-STEYR WAFFENTRAGER????

a poo poo tank