Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's almost like it's hard for women to be confrontational even when someone has crossed the hell out of a line in a society where a woman being confrontational is punished in a myriad of different ways. She probably let one thing go, thinking "They'll think I'm a bitch, and he's drunk anyway, it's just one thing." And then more and more things happened until she slow-boil-frogged into a spot where someone felt like they should physically throw his rear end out.

This is so hideously true and I'm so hideously guilty of this exact same behavior. I guess this is what it feels like to watch it happen to someone else and dream all the things you want to do but never actually do. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

so I googled doxxed "star citizen lgbt thread" and came up with this lovely top result.

Well gently caress me. I'll be an island like usual. Dorito is everywhere.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at anyone who spent 1 hour playing Star Marine when they could have been playing Overwatch

Seconded, especially when I got the Shiver skin for Reaper last night in my last loot box of the night.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFHmeaFGcM

Didn't see this posted before. Game plays better than he expected.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nicholas posted:

A fact I haven't seen brought up with regards to CIGs plan for infinite scaling using AWS, is that while new servers can be spun up to increase player connections, the database does not scale at all. As soon as you clone a database for a new instance it gets out of sync, and you can't just merge all the new information together in later on. All clients must be communicating to a single database. This is probably the reason why Lumberhard specifically states that it's not suitable for anything persistant across instances (such as an MMO)

I'm not sure how most MMO's handle it; I'm guessing it's probably a combination of sharding servers, having a hard cap on the number of simultanious connections (so definitely not "infinite scaling"), and being really careful about what each client is writing back to the database (so no millions of NPCs doing things that update tables constantly for no reason)

Pshaw. It will just take a couple of their DBAs a few hours to work out a database sync based on their new netcode. I mean, seriously, it only took like 4 man hours to merge StarEngine and Lumberyard. You OBVIOUSLY understand NOTHING of development.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I cant believe that they call their 'in game' game company Electronic Access, abbreviate it to 'EA' and then have that in an effect that is exactly the same as the old logo effect for Electronic Arts (now the real life games company EA).

That to me is just like woo, what are you thinking? Your not, your doing drugs aren't you? Bad Chris, look what you've done, to much coke and now your brain don't work right. You can think of anything original ..... you never could.

It's not a parody, why do it? Why has the real EA not put a stop to it? Could they?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

I guess you are right.

I still find it lovely that after "pledging" for SQ42 I found that they had already planned a DLC for the non-existing vanilla game, and which later became a full episode, and a sequel to the non-existing game which later became episode 3.

But you know. You throw these on the pile until you get to the point where the stink compels you to get a refund.

Chris has so many ideas it's hard to encapsulate them into a single game. Once he figured out the idea pipeline, one Squadron 42 became two, then three. Then hell it was so big he needed something to keep people frothing at the mouth before the Star Wars of video gaming was released, so you have the prelude.

Most companies might call the prelude a "vertical slice" sort of demo, but not CIG. Since they are so far away from actually making any kind of an iota of a game, tech demos are deliverables, unless criticized, then they are just alphas immune to criticism.

What the "prelude" really is, is somebody realizing at CIG that even Sq42 episode 1 is so impossible that they need to squeeze anything out. Somebody figured they could convince The Roberts to just make a few tiny levels and release it as a sort of preview of the game. Like what Metal Gear 5 did, only Roberts is not Kojima but nobody can tell him that to his face.

So now, maybe you'll get a few level "prelude" this year... but it's CIG so who knows what reality is! As far as I'm aware, nobody has actually even seen any of their real time movies as a real time movie. It's all in YouTube videos. Can CIG even get a cinematic to play without rendering it, or breaking the audio, or getting the player to be looked at by the actors? Probably not!

All CIG needs to do is just layer the code underneath all these hard ideas and it's done! That's like so easy a programmer falling off a bike and breaking both wrists could do it! This is the team who can convert to an entirely new engine in a weekend. They got this. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

I'm gonna doxx my source. Here goes:

it's this thread

Oh man, I thought I was in the clear. Well good news is any info you got from me is just my made up bullshit. But at least I'll tell you it's fake and made up instead of pretend I have a crystal ball or sources. :)

Not that some people don't, and it's cool. I just don't have sources. I don't even know anybody who knows about Star Citizen much less works at CIG. I may as well use smoke signals and cloud formations to derive my posts content.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Daztek posted:

Will it have all of this

Oh, and NO RUNNING in the Stanton System. Perhaps there could be some kind of Harrison Bergeron-esque means of physically handicapping the more exuberant citizens with grotesque Stimperial immobilizing contraptions so they don't break my immersion?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Atreiden posted:

I don't really play fps games, but is it normal to do these lovely goggles/mask overlays? it looks lovely and combined with the head-bobbing, it has made me hate just watching youtube clips of the game.

It's never usually this bad.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

So is this the big On The Spectrum thing? You're on the Spectrum if you use Charter? Or are they going to be in Charter commercials while also stealing Charters Spectrum IP at the same time? Because that'd be funny.

Spectrum should add in there "We know how to limit CIGs terrible patcher so you can still use the Internet in your house/company while also downloading this weeks 70gb update of your favorite tech demo! This patch has doors and flight adjustments!"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The rest of the people it does that to are in motion, for him it's just a static picture lol

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Atreiden posted:

I don't really play fps games, but is it normal to do these lovely goggles/mask overlays? it looks lovely and combined with the head-bobbing, it has made me hate just watching youtube clips of the game.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's never usually this bad.
It was distracting at first in Half Life 2 having the thick frames of Gordon Freeman's glasses taking up a fifth of the screen but my brain eventually tuned it out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

Right... right, yes, fidelity. Yep I understand these words. Yep 64 bit that'll be there too. And procedurally generated.

Basically what you're saying is that there will be procedurally generated rendering in the cloud, and all the polygons are 64 bit voxels, just with a Lumberyard frontend to handle the client-server communication. Fuckin... sign me right the gently caress up.

If you only said this a year ago! It makes perfect sense now! You really are a master, friend. I bet you'll be hearing from CIG soon with a hefty salary and a plea for you to join their ranks. You'll be working on things right next to Chris Roberts!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Forget that. The real badasses hang out at Vaguely Unpleasant Dodecahedron.

This is where I hang my Converse with a skull and crossbones Origami Owl pendant. Because I'm a not-good-rear end who likes to live the moderate life of slight danger.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Has he played a FPS before? He was impressed by blood splatter on the screen, and how your gun lifts if you get close to a wall. Just like in Crysis.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone who understands game development please explain to me why his radar is gliching out?

Some kinda hack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFHmeaFGcM&t=1486s

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

no_recall posted:

Can someone who understands game development please explain to me why his radar is gliching out?

Some kinda hack?

Yes it's a hack, a hack known as chris Roberts.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lack of Gravitas posted:

what about this am i not seeing here? :ohdear:

I thought it was the username could sound like "cheater" but apparently there's better guesses out there. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

The sperm cell reaching the egg is the last time in history that Chris Roberts' DNA outperformed his competitors.

Wow! Lol! This made me laugh too much!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

someone decided to give the email address I was using for leaks out

there's a billion new things

Good luck, friend. You may as well abandon that email address.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/816457676897058816

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The rest of the people it does that to are in motion, for him it's just a static picture lol

He kept moving his arms around too much when trying to film him.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nicholas posted:

Great video. I'm scanning through it and it seems to confirm what I was trying to say. The databases don't scale with the game servers, and they are using a complex variety of storage solutions to maintain a consistant game state.

Exactly. There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to use AWS to manage an MMO (as the frontier video Mu77ley posted shows) but it's crazy that people think switching to some free engine and network middleware is the ground breaking solution to a "never been attempted before" universe simulation. It's really a step backwards in terms of engineering a solution to the problem.

The dark secret of CIG is that they have bled away the requisite talent to actually build this "never before done architecture". So while Chris still spews it, nobody under him can do it (sort of the running narrative of most of Star Citizen). So really, moving to a middleware item that they might be able to hack in to get at least 16 players together will be good.

Ultimately it will become "The vision I always had for Star Citizen" as Chris changes the future goal posts to remove the whole MMO aspect. Nobody can look at this project and think it's even the bare bones basis for any kind of MMO. :shrug:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Inkel posted:

double gently caress u to the big ten for being garbage this bowl season and actually making me root for penn state just so we could save some face in front of the other conferences :negative:

If you root for penn state you love child molestation. Sorry, pedo, get hosed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815736915433504768
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815738144897306624
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815739490027315200
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815740761069256704
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815744046148845569
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815745288468054016
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815747226840551428
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815748768427634688
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815749610752868352
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815751320263069696

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

someone decided to give the email address I was using for leaks out

there's a billion new things

how does that even happen? Did one of your accounts you have access to drop dimes?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I cant believe that they call their 'in game' game company Electronic Access, abbreviate it to 'EA' and then have that in an effect that is exactly the same as the old logo effect for Electronic Arts (now the real life games company EA).

That to me is just like woo, what are you thinking? Your not, your doing drugs aren't you? Bad Chris, look what you've done, to much coke and now your brain don't work right. You can think of anything original ..... you never could.

It's not a parody, why do it? Why has the real EA not put a stop to it? Could they?

Why would EA stop the best thing for it?

Imagine a guy getting huge glory for "showing up evil publishers!" And making a spectacle out of it. As time goes on, that very same guy shows off millions of people exactly why publishers are required.

It really would not surprise me in the least if EA is funding some of CIG at one point with donations just to keep him going longer. At the end of this, NOBODY is going to say Chris Roberts really showed publishers a thing or two. No, it'll be the opposite:

"Imagine how awesome Star Citizen would have been if there was a publisher to keep Chris reigned in. I bet we'd have a game now instead of a badly written apology letter about how 'we tried real hard'."

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

The Titanic posted:

The dark secret of CIG is that they have bled away the requisite talent to actually build this "never before done architecture". So while Chris still spews it, nobody under him can do it (sort of the running narrative of most of Star Citizen). So really, moving to a middleware item that they might be able to hack in to get at least 16 players together will be good.

Ultimately it will become "The vision I always had for Star Citizen" as Chris changes the future goal posts to remove the whole MMO aspect. Nobody can look at this project and think it's even the bare bones basis for any kind of MMO. :shrug:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

The Titanic posted:

So is this the big On The Spectrum thing? You're on the Spectrum if you use Charter? Or are they going to be in Charter commercials while also stealing Charters Spectrum IP at the same time? Because that'd be funny.

Spectrum should add in there "We know how to limit CIGs terrible patcher so you can still use the Internet in your house/company while also downloading this weeks 70gb update of your favorite tech demo! This patch has doors and flight adjustments!"

Confusingly enough, I think this Spectrum, which is a rebrand of Time Warner Cable, is completely independent of the Discord Ripoff Spectrum.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Some kinda hack?

My non-professional view is that the radar is not some part of the hud, but an actual object hovering in front of the players face. They rotated it in such a way that it appears to be "facing" towards the player, instead of flat and parallel with the floor.

The rotation link between camera and radar is not good, so when the camera rotates the map does as well to always appear to match the player. The rotation to face it towards the player is messing this translation up, so instead of hovering without moving, it's going all over the place. They also appear to have disconnected this object from the hud because they also wanted it to bounce separately from everything else. Perhaps to give a 3D effect to the world when walking through it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Confusingly enough, I think this Spectrum, which is a rebrand of Time Warner Cable, is completely independent of the Discord Ripoff Spectrum.

I'm sure you're right, it's just poor business. Kind of par for the course for The Roberts. :3:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

how does that even happen? Did one of your accounts you have access to drop dimes?
over the last year, dozens of people knew what it was so its not surprising its come out

there's some actual maybe leaks in there too

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Many dick pics?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

My God, he really is a harbinger of failure

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Kosumo posted:

actually, friend, it is a parody, as is the menu screen a parody of doom, because, you see, they're parody of things when chris robots was big in the games scene

honest hate for the space game

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/692797722143899648

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Where did that Feb 14 thing come from? Are they stopping preorders or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Kakarot posted:

Where did that Feb 14 thing come from? Are they stopping preorders or something

It's from last year, just before they split the game packages to squeeze more money from potential pledgers :D

Taxxe: