Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

drat. Well, at least I get to play 3 and also harder ones some while I save up for the expensive controller.

Get good and you can drive a real train for extra money to pay for the controller with. Genius, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

univbee posted:

Get good and you can drive a real train for extra money to pay for the controller with. Genius, really.

thats a good idea!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

2/10, appears to be missing the cavity for your pocket watch.

Look at the bottom of the picture.

(I was going to make the same joke, then I saw it.)

I'm genuinely impressed at the apparently functional gauges with the PS1 game. I can think of a few complicated ways to do it, mainly putting a PC in between the video signal and the television and parsing what the speed and indicators should read. It's a lot of effort for that, though.

Edit: Tracking it back tells me that it's an arduino based controller working with the PC version of the first game which would simplify things greatly. Still very cool.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 3, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

azurite posted:

Before messing with the laser, try better media. These work great on all my systems, including a Saturn which is really fussy with other brands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00065DGYQ/

Edit: Since Taiyo Yudens and the like stopped being produced, I have a feeling the retro community is going to need to be pickier about CD-Rs. Newer drives are meant to read them and there's no incentive to keep quality up anymore.

Got these today. Burned Castlevania and Spriggan, both read! Although Spriggan has static music and didnt load the game, its probably related to the ISO or something.

Castlevania loaded no problem, and the Duo no longer makes super loud seeking noises anymore like it did with CDRs in the past

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Very nice! Yeah, definitely try other dumps of games before dismissing it as a read issue. I must've spent hours trying to diagnose an issue with Silhouette Mirage before finding out that I was using a bad image. I don't know if saying this violates our filez policy, but using a private tracker with up-to-date romsets may help with that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I know this isn't a big deal to many people here, but I had to share. I've finally gotten to actually tinkering with my own electronics and replaced batteries in my dead Game Boy games.

Things I learned:
  • I had to let my iron get super hot to deal with the old solder. I should have had some flux handy which would have mitigated this, but I didn't.
  • On the positive side of that, though, is Game Boy games have huge, open spaces for battery contacts. Unless you're all over the place with the iron there's no chance of damaging anything with it.
  • Despite those open areas, I did have to trim the battery leads to make it fit the pad cleanly. If it shifted slightly while I was soldering then I would have had a situation where it crossed some components so I chopped it down and relied on using a giant blob of solder on the pad for the connection.
  • Speaking of which, I had to use my thick solder wire instead of my electronics solder wire. They really are pretty huge connections.
  • The solder sucker saved my rear end. Besides cleaning the pads a bit to make attaching the new batteries easier, when I had a blob go wild it fixed it, too.
  • I feel like I should have checked a few more games to see if they had dead batteries now instead of just the ones I remembered. Might as well have made a day out of replacing batteries.

So, super easy to do once you have the tools, though I am glad that I've had some practice by building several other circuits before I did this with stuff I cared about. I don't think I'm fast enough to do this without losing a save, though. :v:

After this I thought, "Hey, maybe I'll fix some dead pokemon carts for a few extra bucks but looking on eBay it seems like everyone has that idea.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PCE CD issues can be related to the images, but drive burning speed seems to play a role, too. At least, I know that the CD drive unit I had would be kind of iffy about discs burned with my desktop's full-fledged DVD burner drive, but would also be quite solid with those burned with the CD burner in a ten year old Thinkpad I have.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I know this isn't a big deal to many people here, but I had to share. I've finally gotten to actually tinkering with my own electronics and replaced batteries in my dead Game Boy games.

Things I learned:
  • I had to let my iron get super hot to deal with the old solder. I should have had some flux handy which would have mitigated this, but I didn't.
  • On the positive side of that, though, is Game Boy games have huge, open spaces for battery contacts. Unless you're all over the place with the iron there's no chance of damaging anything with it.
  • Despite those open areas, I did have to trim the battery leads to make it fit the pad cleanly. If it shifted slightly while I was soldering then I would have had a situation where it crossed some components so I chopped it down and relied on using a giant blob of solder on the pad for the connection.
  • Speaking of which, I had to use my thick solder wire instead of my electronics solder wire. They really are pretty huge connections.
  • The solder sucker saved my rear end. Besides cleaning the pads a bit to make attaching the new batteries easier, when I had a blob go wild it fixed it, too.
  • I feel like I should have checked a few more games to see if they had dead batteries now instead of just the ones I remembered. Might as well have made a day out of replacing batteries.

So, super easy to do once you have the tools, though I am glad that I've had some practice by building several other circuits before I did this with stuff I cared about. I don't think I'm fast enough to do this without losing a save, though. :v:

After this I thought, "Hey, maybe I'll fix some dead pokemon carts for a few extra bucks but looking on eBay it seems like everyone has that idea.

Congrats! Replacing GB game batteries was my first soldering project for something I would actually use, and I was every bit as proud of it as you are.

They've been recommended here before, but I'll post it again: These videos are really informative, they helped me better understand what's happening and gave me good technique.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Eh, Crash is basically a 2D game given how limited movement is. And I won't complain if someone held a gun up to my head to play Spyro, Gex 2, Bugs Bunny, or Toy Story 2. 40 Winks or Blasto? Blow my loving brains out.

Hell Mode: Rascal.

are 40 Winks and Blasto bad? they're games I was always kinda aware of as a kid and wanted to try, but I've never gotten around to them

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They're just bland cartoon mascot fare from that era. Blasto is earlier and has a bunch of weird "floating in empty space" catwalk levels and a gun. Similar to Gex, one of the main selling points was not the gameplay but the voice of Phil Hartman providing one-liners. More of a shooting game I guess, it has some weird textureless geometry stuff going on that reminds me of the Loony Tunes games. 40 Winks is aimed more at kids and has you collecting floating thingys in a very nondescript set of indoor areas.

I threw out that list as a mix of things I still like (Crash/Spyro), things I liked then but have aged terribly (Gex, Toy Story) and stuff that I would kick myself for renting from Phar-Mor for the weekend (most of the others). I feel like Rayman 2 was a pretty solid 3d platformer for the time. Never found anything on PS1 that felt like Mario 64.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

RZA speaks the truth, these videos are fantastic.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I still like Croc.

I tend to be more forgiving on games than most, though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Things I learned:

When dealing with ancient solder joints I apply flux and a tiny bit of fresh solder which helps warm up the joints and allows for a much cleaner removal with a solder sucker

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The gently caress? Apparently people figured out how to manipulate the RNG in Dragon Warrior on NES for human speedruns.

Sounds like it can still be easily derailed requiring a do-over so not marathon-capable, but something a speedrunner can sit down at and eventually have a successful run before too long. Looks like the record is just over 34 minutes, and might get broken in the next 15ish minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ptarmigans posted:

RZA speaks the truth, these videos are fantastic.

I'm fortunate enough that my school actually let me get a soldering certification just by going up to the dean and saying I was interested in doing it. That doesn't mean that I'm good at it, mind you, but I've now had a few hours of professional training and a few project boards to work with. Those videos are pretty cool, though.

FWIW for those people saying, "If an gibbering idiot like Random Stranger can do it, why can't I?", you can get yourself up and running with a pretty functional soldering station for about forty dollars total. Soldering irons aren't complex things and can be had cheap ($20 can get you something useful), it's all the little ancillary stuff that adds up. $10 in solder wire since you need a few different sizes, a tip cleaner, flux (which I should have had handy and didn't), a sucker (a handheld spring powered vacuum that yanks molten solder off of boards), a helping hand (a special set of grips that hold the board so you're not burning your fingers or your table), and wick. I got batteries with solder tabs attached which comparing other techniques is definitely the way to go.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I'm fortunate enough that my school actually let me get a soldering certification just by going up to the dean and saying I was interested in doing it. That doesn't mean that I'm good at it, mind you, but I've now had a few hours of professional training and a few project boards to work with. Those videos are pretty cool, though.

FWIW for those people saying, "If an gibbering idiot like Random Stranger can do it, why can't I?", you can get yourself up and running with a pretty functional soldering station for about forty dollars total. Soldering irons aren't complex things and can be had cheap ($20 can get you something useful), it's all the little ancillary stuff that adds up. $10 in solder wire since you need a few different sizes, a tip cleaner, flux (which I should have had handy and didn't), a sucker (a handheld spring powered vacuum that yanks molten solder off of boards), a helping hand (a special set of grips that hold the board so you're not burning your fingers or your table), and wick. I got batteries with solder tabs attached which comparing other techniques is definitely the way to go.

Sorry if I came off as condescending! I misinterpreted your post and thought you were new to it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Sorry if I came off as condescending! I misinterpreted your post and thought you were new to it.

No, it's fine; I was being conversational. I'm relatively new to soldering. I wouldn't say a few hours of training is really that much compared to practical experience. :v:

The Dragon Warrior manipulation is pretty neat. I wonder if the technique works with the Famicom version; it was so heavily modified for US release that the random number generator might work differently.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 3, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

For most of my life I was convinced soldering was some complex art that took a long time to master, but in reality it's super easy. I learned with this kit which I bought at microcenter and I can't praise it enough, the practice board they give you is super great and it goes from soldering blobs onto huge practice pads to building a real functioning device. The iron it comes with is a step up from the ones that just plug directly into the wall, but you'll still want to upgrade to something better eventually (I went with the ubiquitous Hakko 888D and love it). It also comes with a bunch of useful tools that I still find myself using.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

For most of my life I was convinced soldering was some complex art that took a long time to master, but in reality it's super easy.

I cannot agree more with this, I got myself a decent enough little station, fired up youtube instructional videos and just started soldering poo poo on test boards and it took very little time to get competent.

Part of it was that I get shaky as gently caress when I'm trying to do precise work, but this hasn't really been a problem. There is no god drat way I will ever do really really tiny precise soldering work, but eh, I'll pay someone else to. :P

e. I have this Aoyue 469 station. I actually started with a little Hakko pen soldering iron, but something was wrong with it - it kept overheating and burning out tips. I thought I was just garbage at soldering, but nope. Switched to the Aoyue, and I've been good to go.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 4, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

PCE CD issues can be related to the images, but drive burning speed seems to play a role, too. At least, I know that the CD drive unit I had would be kind of iffy about discs burned with my desktop's full-fledged DVD burner drive, but would also be quite solid with those burned with the CD burner in a ten year old Thinkpad I have.
The slowest I can go with this cheap portable USB burner is 8x.

Now that I think of it I do have a PC in the other room it just never gets used. Maybe ill re-burn my problematic image from there just to see what happens.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's never been frequently needed, but for most of my college and professional life I've needed to deal with soldering every now and then and I still hate it.

The batteries in my carts weren't too hard though after a few attempts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8x has been fine for my Saturn and PS1. I read that PC Engine is a bit more picky so I burnt some discs on 4x and they work fine, but 8x works too.

I use these kinds of discs which are unfortunately getting more and more hard to find.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Your drive will usually burn the most readable discs when you let it pick its own speed based on the disc's info, and then the speeds just below that speed. Many drives will actually have more errors if you try to force them to burn too slow for the disc conditions.

It has a lot to do with the way the laser-sensitive materiel in the disc reacts to the temperature changes, which is why too-slow burns can produce improperly reflective discs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electromax posted:

They're just bland cartoon mascot fare from that era. Blasto is earlier and has a bunch of weird "floating in empty space" catwalk levels and a gun. Similar to Gex, one of the main selling points was not the gameplay but the voice of Phil Hartman providing one-liners. More of a shooting game I guess, it has some weird textureless geometry stuff going on that reminds me of the Loony Tunes games. 40 Winks is aimed more at kids and has you collecting floating thingys in a very nondescript set of indoor areas.

I threw out that list as a mix of things I still like (Crash/Spyro), things I liked then but have aged terribly (Gex, Toy Story) and stuff that I would kick myself for renting from Phar-Mor for the weekend (most of the others). I feel like Rayman 2 was a pretty solid 3d platformer for the time. Never found anything on PS1 that felt like Mario 64.

Without a good analog stick nothing could've played like Mario. Ape Escape is the closest but that controller was too late to make an impact. The best games understood this which is why even Bugs Bunny has huge, grid-shaped platforms. Then you get Bubsy 3D which points the camera DOWN as you jump so you can try to see the tiny platform you're trying to nail.

I remember trying to like Blasto and it had some cool ideas and encounters. But it was also unfairly hard.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

Things I learned:

I practiced first on copies of crappy NES games that nobody would miss. Anyone want a copy of Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing with the battery on the wrong side? It still works. :v:

Anyway, It's a New Age Retro Christmas Recap!

I had a bunch of Amazon credit after Christmas of 2015 and decided that what I really wanted was to open up some brand new retro games for the first time. Decided to do it again this year and just wanted to reflect on what I got in 2015. Nothing really amazing; I was aiming for best bang for the buck.

Sub-Terrania: Great game at around... I want to say $13-ish? Basically a more action-y Solar Jetman with digitized graphics and a nifty soundtrack. hard as balls though. Still can't get past the 3rd stage :sigh: but I do enjoy the first two. Think these are typically going for about $20 now.

Light Crusader: This one cost about $25 and only took about 7 hours to complete. If you're the kind of sperg who's actually going to analyze hours spent playing vs :retrogames:. The only one under the tree that I played completely through. Great buy if you can get it for that new. Used copies are going for $10-$15 now I think, and I'd recommend it at that.

Sega Bass Fishing: A $6 game that I predicted I would dust off and kick around for 10-15 minutes at a stretch. Turns out I was right. No complaints. Really want to find a fishing controller now and I've sen them NiB for about $25-$30.

Vegas Stakes: IIRC this one was about $10 and... yeah, I'd rather have the $10. Doesn't offer anything over any other casino video game. I guess the box looks nice and minty.

Overlord: :barf: Virgin made their own carts for this, and it shows. The top of the label is already starting to peel and the rear casing has gone sort of brownish yellow. Additionally, the board uses some kind of weirdly-tabbed CR2032 that I'm not sure I could replace if removed. Not that I'd want to play this game long enough to save my progress anyway. Almost impenetrable even with the thick manual and related paraphernalia a new (or complete) copy comes with and, even when you do start to get a grasp on it, really hard. Kind of a waste of $40 and I gave it an honest try but have barely touched it since. Impossible to play without assistance, just a chore to play with it.

Mega Man Collection: It's Mega Man! Can't go wrong with that. I've pulled this out a few times. Others have said that there are better compilations out there. I don't doubt that but I don't have those and have no regrets at $15.

Chrono Cross: Maybe I'll get back to this some day? I wasn't a huge fan of Square's PS1 catalog and beyond. I'm sure it's good, I just hate having to learn new systems for doing things every single drat time they release something new, and the intro was decent but I didn't find myself thinking about it afterwards. Think I spent somewhere between $10-$15 on this, so no real complaints, but it's probably going to sit there until I get fat and old and retire.

ONE: Awwww, gently caress yeah. LIke Sub-Terrania, I still cannot get past the third goddamn stage of this, though for different reasons. ONE suffers from some issues typical of the early 3D era. Namely, it's a bitch trying to gauge where you are in relation to the ground and that can make jumping over pits problematic. Nonetheless, it is REALLY satisfying just blasting every goddamn thing to kingdom come. This was another one that couldn't have been more than $15 and was worth every penny. I've played it a few times and it's pretty easy to get back into. Protip: Keep shooting everything and everyone until they all die.

Ignition Factor: An action (and puzzle, arguably) game where you play as a firefighter! Put out fires! Save stupid people who walk into them! This was the most expensive of the bunch, about $50 IIRC. It' and Overlord are the only two in the lot that were roughly what you might've paid for a brand new copy back in the day, but unlike Overlord, Ignition Factor is worth it. Takes a little practice and the first stage is kinda hard, so I can see why this might've been overlooked. Totally unique game and worth the price of admission.

In any event, I had 9 sealed games to open last Christmas but I've got 12 this year (wooo). Are any of them any good? I... sure as hell hope so. I've only played two before and can confirm that of those, one is thoroughly godawful and possibly the worst sports game on the NES. I'll be opening these up and given them a go a few at a time here.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
In addition to Yuden discs, I have had good luck with Azo dyed Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-Rs in my Saturn, Sega CD and Duo-R. https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataLifePlus-Printable-Recordable-94755/dp/B0001LS35W

It is really the crappy green dyed CD-Rs that should be avoided.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey Vegas Stakes is a wonderful game!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Overlord is a game my dad played a ton of when we got a NES. It one of his favorite games and I still have no idea how he even plays it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rirse posted:

Overlord is a game my dad played a ton of when we got a NES. It one of his favorite games and I still have no idea how he even plays it.

My dad was the same way with Top Gun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My dad's game was Destination Earthstar. He was also a master at Solar Jetman.

e: Oh wait no it was To the Earth! A zapper game I find impossible but he could beat it with his eyes closed.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RZA Encryption posted:

Hey Vegas Stakes is a wonderful game!

Super Caesar's Palace is what the cool kids play. :colbert:

Rirse posted:

I cannot even get past the first "stage" and have no idea how in the hell you're supposed to balance your resources. My people end up starving to death as the computer opponent grabs new planets twice as fast as I can. One theory I've pulled completely out of my rear end is that this game was playtested by only a handful of people (at most) who'd been involved the entire way through and couldn't see any issues with it as they'd completely absorbed its quirks and how to work with or around them. Given that it was a 1993 release it wouldn't be surprising if they just didn't want to spend a ton of time tweaking and balancing an NES game either.

My mom was freakishly good at Dr. Mario, and my mother-in-law also shares the same talent, according to my wife. I'm just assuming at this point that it's the one game that all moms are good at. Like it's something genetic that gets triggered once you've produced offspring.

Edit: Come to think of it, when my aunt gave me her old NES a few years ago, Dr. Mario was the only game she had for it too. :tinfoil:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 4, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

My dad's game was Destination Earthstar. He was also a master at Solar Jetman.

e: Oh wait no it was To the Earth! A zapper game I find impossible but he could beat it with his eyes closed.

To The Earth is a game I still hold a grudge against after all these years

gently caress you, To The Earth

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

My mom was freakishly good at Dr. Mario, and my mother-in-law also shares the same talent, according to my wife. I'm just assuming at this point that it's the one game that all moms are good at. Like it's something genetic that gets triggered once you've produced offspring.

Edit: Come to think of it, when my aunt gave me her old NES if you years ago, Dr. Mario was the only game she had for it too. :tinfoil:

Until now I wasn't aware Dr. Mario was The Mom Game outside my own family. How strange.

My dad never liked video games, except for showing a brief interest in Pilotwings. On his first attempt, and probably the first time he ever held a SNES controller, he got a near-perfect score on the first light plane stage. The landing was flawless—he just missed a couple of points following the trail to the runway. This is the same guy, who when I later asked him to talk to the townspeople in the RPG Maker game I was working on, held the PS1 controller up to his mouth and said "hello?"

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

See if there's someone in your town that sells stuff on eBay for commission that knows a lot about games. My dad retired earlier this year and sold off all the old games we left at his place doing this so he could move. Saved him a ton of time and got him more money than he would have otherwise gotten. I didn't buy or take th games from my parents because I had re-bought almost all of it since I moved out of my parents place over a decade ago.

falz posted:

Big or small lots, only individually if your time is worth nothing.

Maybe start by doing a lot per console type and list here and see what interest you get.

Reason for selling?

Turbinosamente posted:

Other people have chimed in on this, but I'd group and price the games by console they belong to and list them all at once in an SA mart thread. If there was an expensive individual games (like $100+) I'd perhaps separate those out. It'd be more work but you wouldn't have to take as big a hit trying to dump 600 games as one large lot. For example you could decide that gameboy games are going to have 15 carts to a lot and be $40 a lot or what ever the average worth is.

Or just do it auction style for all of them at once anyways, I recall someone did this semi on accident in SA mart a while back and did make out with just over a grand from the goon frenzy. (he posted his entire childhood game collection asking for offers not realizing that retro games are a thing now).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6NBLNLDoFyvwPPTYS8AVPJNTMw1CE-mzberE6Tm9fg/edit?usp=sharing (I guess it was no longer 600+)

There are countless other controllers / power supplies / cabling I've sorted into other bins but thats the meat of it. Also got some random stuff I didn't list like a few unopened everdrives, a ps1 skateboard platform and a super scope with the eye piece missing.

I'll probably add price notes for myself later when I get back to this.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Out of 3 consoles over 10 years neither my mom or dad never once played anything, nor showed the slightest interest in anything I played. :shrug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rollersnake posted:

Until now I wasn't aware Dr. Mario was The Mom Game outside my own family. How strange.

I've mentioned it, but my wife and her mom and her grandma are godlike at Dr. Mario. It's ridiculous. I set up my Wii with Snes9x and a pair of gamecube controllers years back, and watched them play SNES Dr. Mario and it was just amazing. It felt like what people who are really into watching e-sports must feel like, watching good Dota2 games or whatever.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

There was one game that my father stayed up entirely too late at night to go to work to play, it was so absolutely and completely his poo poo.

That game? King's Bounty for the Sega Genesis. The guy went total loving savant at it, and could take on Arech Dragonbreath on the second-to-steepest difficulty. Had no interest in finding the sceptre, just basically playing upgraded Archon until he dominated everything.

There was an intervention; my mom came down pretty hard on him. As a result, until Wii Sports was released, my father didn't touch another video game.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My mum was like "what's the appeal of this dang Game Boy" and played Donkey Kong Land when I was at a friends birthday party and got so engrossed in it she was late in picking me up. :3: I'm gonna try Dr Mario with her.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Besides Overlord, my dad loves to play Final Fantasy IV, Breath of Fire I, Suikoden I, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4, and Civilization Revolution. He mostly just plays CIV Revolution these days, but every once in a while he will boot up RE4 or Suikoden, with me usually helping him find the puzzles solution or deal with that giant fish boss.

Was interesting see him play FF4, as he would get everyone up to level 99, always going for the rare Dragoon Lance drop for Kain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Dr. Mario was Mum's Game Boy game. Tetris was Dad's.

Dad was pretty big on PC games and was kind of the patient-zero for my own love of games, showing me The Adventures Of Captain Comic when I was a little'un. He played a lot - a LOT - of single-player Diablo 2.

To this day, Mum has a bizarre love of games that'd probably make everyone here stop, blink, and take off their glasses in dramatic disapproval. Like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, and Bubsy 2. Nowadays she plays lots of Hidden Object games because, and I quote, "they're so poo poo, it's hilarious".

Come to think of it, most of my extended family were huge Wolfenstein 3D addicts in the early '90s. This explains an awful lot about my obsession with loudly rubbing up against walls made of bright blue stone.

• Locked thread