Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

porfiria posted:

Which of the editions features a Red CG Devil walking in front of the camera during the climactic exorcism scene?

The goofy CG faces added into the shadows in The Exorcist were a way bigger cinema crime than whatever Lucas did to his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, I read that the '73 cut of The Exorcist was supervised/approved by the cinematographer for Blu-Ray while William Friedkin approved the 2000 cut.

Same cinematographer OK'd the re-done French Connection Blu-Ray which did away with the awkward desaturated colors from the original disc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: trying to post image comparisons but it's bein all screwy :shrug:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

but you just said the 1979 version did the blue tint from this hypothetical green version. Which version was the original DVD going off of?

All the DVD releases are (to my knowledge) derived on the 1979 version, which is brighter than the 1973 version and has a 'naturalistic' colour scheme. No noticeable tint.

Like I said, the recent blue scheme is likely an attempt to correct this.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, I read that the '73 cut of The Exorcist was supervised/approved by the cinematographer for Blu-Ray while William Friedkin approved the 2000 cut.

Same cinematographer OK'd the re-done French Connection Blu-Ray which did away with the awkward desaturated colors from the original disc.

Hell, George Lucas not only OK'd the edits to his film, he even oversaw them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All the DVD releases are (to my knowledge) derived on the 1979 version, which is brighter than the 1973 version and has a 'naturalistic' colour scheme. No noticeable tint.

Like I said, the recent blue scheme is likely an attempt to correct this.

Where did you read about this? I've always preferred the pre-98 color timing but I was under the impression that was more or less the original, all I can find about the '79 rerelease differences are the matte for widescreen and the sound mix

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Lost in Space is on Syfy right now. Man that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kng_YcBxR6Y

When I was 10 this trailer blew my frickin mind how cool and dark it was :manning:

Like the whole premise is everybody is on earth is going to die, it's a pretty stark place to start from.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Lost in Space is on Syfy right now. Man that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

When I was 10 this trailer blew my frickin mind how cool and dark it was :manning:

Like the whole premise is everybody is on earth is going to die, it's a pretty stark place to start from.

I watched that movie a lot when I was younger. Rewatched it in November I think... man, it's rough. The effects, especially on that monkey thing, don't hold up at all. Spider-Smith's at least weird enough to kinda work.

Matt LeBlanc is next-level terrible. William Hurt can barely make some of the dialogue work, so there was no hope for him. Gary Oldman is still fun.

The biggest crime in that movie is them dubbing Jared Harris's voice with some bland American one.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They keep holding long takes on the cgi space monkey too. It's like "look, we're so proud of this special effect!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Youtube has the pilot episode of the TV series this was based off, it popped up on my sidebar watching the trailer, you should watch that instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of my favorite shows growing up was a sci fi comedy series that was a pastiche of Star Trek and Lost In Space, with its own spin, so I've always been rather fond of Lost in Space. Although it's a bit hard to watch knowing the doctor guy was a pedophile.IGNORE THIS I AM A DUMMY. But the idea of having a huge piece of poo poo as part of the space crew that you can't afford to get rid of due to the desperate situation is really strong.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 4, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What the gently caress, when was it revealed that Jonathan Harris was a pedophile?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What is he even a doctor of honestly, it's a title that usually implies you have at least one useful skill

Also even if it's all undone with time-travel killing all the heroes was a major holy poo poo moment to 10-year old me. When Don West looks back and is all "I'm sorry" and they all explode :aaa:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Tetsuo: The Iron Man sure is a movie, huh.

I wasn't expecting it to be a Japanese The Wizard of Speed and Time, or for half of it to be a superhero battle. I like it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite shows growing up was a sci fi comedy series that was a pastiche of Star Trek and Lost In Space, with its own spin, so I've always been rather fond of Lost in Space.

Lexx?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also yeah I'd love a youtube clip of Matt LeBlanc's delivery on "everyone knows time travel is impossible!" haha holy poo poo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

What the gently caress, when was it revealed that Jonathan Harris was a pedophile?

My information may be bad on that one! It's one of those things I learned before google was around. Looking it up it seems there were rumors he was gay and... people are terrible? Now I feel awful for repeating such a rumor.

French Canadianer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX0qnwDFXU0

A mission to explore nearby space for an inhabitable planet to move humanity to due to pollution ruining earth turns into a mission into unexplored space, with an untrustworthy dick of a scientist in tow who was only on the initial mission for gloryhounding reasons and really wants to go home.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 4, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A local record store has criterion blurays of The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth (no booklets, for whatever reason), for $99 each. I was too tempted, but thankfully didn't go through with it.

Later this month a Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray is being released that is from a new restoration that is as good or better than the Criterion release.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Aren't the visual alterations just like subliminal captain howdy poo poo

That's one of the additions to the 2000 re-release version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

Later this month a Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray is being released that is from a new restoration that is as good or better than the Criterion release.

But it doesn't have the big C on it!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

But it doesn't have the big C on it!

I think I can live without it. I do have the Criterion DVD and am tempted to sell it while people are still paying a hilarious markup on it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

I think I can live without it. I do have the Criterion DVD and am tempted to sell it while people are still paying a hilarious markup on it.

Think of how many pairs of cargo jorts and Crocs you could buy!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BRRRRP Morty, Morty, it's just, it's just the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon BRRP of ostensibly adult characters engaged in presexual intimacy. I mean jeez Morty, they're BRRRRRP they're not even at the level of of Matthew Broderick in Hackers, taking his shirt off in front of a girl.

Morty.

Morty, you know what the erotic appeal of Sonic is, like for the fans? H-BRRRRP-e doesn't gently caress. Ever. Doesn't need to. Ever, Morty. It's aaaaaaall in the eyes, M-URRRRRRR-orty. Eyes and the chili dogs. Just, just looking at you and eating the chili dogs, that's sex to him. That's satisfaction.

And, and so that's why Finn and Poe will never gently caress, Morty, they'll just keep hugging and sharing clothes, even though they're like 25, 30. They just don't ne-UUUUURP-ed to.

Okay so that's the birds and the bees, now let's get that quantum impURPlant into your spine.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So after Lost in Space, The Darkest Hour came on---you know, that Russian movie that looked like a huge rip off of Skyline, that other alien invasion movie nobody saw? Although it's kinda a shame I was browsing the forums instead of paying attention it seemed kind of good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ah yes, the "Emile Hirsch and Olivia Thirlby fight invisible aliens with microwave radiation guns" movie.

It was terrible, but i've seen worse.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Emile Hirsch he fell far. Idiot for attacking that executive.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

BRRRRP Morty, Morty, it's just, it's just the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon BRRP of ostensibly adult characters engaged in presexual intimacy. I mean jeez Morty, they're BRRRRRP they're not even at the level of of Matthew Broderick in Hackers, taking his shirt off in front of a girl.

Morty.

Morty, you know what the erotic appeal of Sonic is, like for the fans? H-BRRRRP-e doesn't gently caress. Ever. Doesn't need to. Ever, Morty. It's aaaaaaall in the eyes, M-URRRRRRR-orty. Eyes and the chili dogs. Just, just looking at you and eating the chili dogs, that's sex to him. That's satisfaction.

And, and so that's why Finn and Poe will never gently caress, Morty, they'll just keep hugging and sharing clothes, even though they're like 25, 30. They just don't ne-UUUUURP-ed to.

Okay so that's the birds and the bees, now let's get that quantum impURPlant into your spine.

CP record this god drat it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only issue I have is, Rick is too good of a character to represent SMG.

But perhaps tomorrow. Tis my day off.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can't see this post because a big PS1-cutscene rear end dinosaur is in front of it.

Also here's the same post again so readers can get dialogue they already heard but with you as a giant slug this time. Also there's a really lovely effect to make me jump in the air.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the dinosaur rear end when there is even worse poo poo happening in that scene. Like, at least the dinosaur moves kinda quickly, there is a robot leisurely crossing in front of the screen and obstructing the view right after dinosaur rear end. It's not even a good effect, it looks like someone filmed their TV showing Star Wars and then made their favorite toy walk past the screen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

That's one of the additions to the 2000 re-release version.

I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for the heads up.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know why people keep bringing up the dinosaur rear end when there is even worse poo poo happening in that scene. Like, at least the dinosaur moves kinda quickly, there is a robot leisurely crossing in front of the screen and obstructing the view right after dinosaur rear end. It's not even a good effect, it looks like someone filmed their TV showing Star Wars and then made their favorite toy walk past the screen.

Because the dinosaur rear end covers the entire frame. It's mind-boggling that Lucas thought that was good blocking.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://twitter.com/thehorrormaster/status/816486706186596352

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Because the dinosaur rear end covers the entire frame. It's mind-boggling that Lucas thought that was good blocking.

The beast of burden walking past the screen is no different than all the transition wipes in the movie and acts as such within the context of the scene.

E: also, Jonathan Harris was married and had a kid, this information is not hard to come by. This thread makes me :psyduck: sometimes

And if anything, SMG would have to be Morty, his detractors are the dismissive rear end in a top hat Rick types (or at least they like to fantasize that they are).

"Gee I dunno Rick, the prequels (blah blah blah)"

"Shut up Morty, they're stupid. *burps* They're just dumb."

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 4, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Here is the scene in question, starting at 3:00. Yellow robot zooming across the screen obstructing the view happens at 3:14, and I forgot that it makes it look like the robot is as tall as the stormtroopers. Admittedly it's not taking up the entire frame at once, but it's still puzzling how much poo poo happens in front of the people this scene should focus on. maybe it's one of these experiments where five people throw a ball around and you don't even notice there is a gorilla there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

The beast of burden walking past the screen is no different than all the transition wipes in the movie and acts as such within the context of the scene.

E: also, Jonathan Harris was married and had a kid, this information is not hard to come by. This thread makes me :psyduck: sometimes

Yeah I should've googled a little more thoroughly but I was sleepy. I've made a fool of myself twice on the same topic! These things happen when you assume things you learned when you were 13 should go unverified. Speaking of which, did you hear about that time Rod Stewart had to get his stomach pumped?

ruddiger posted:

And if anything, SMG would have to be Morty, his detractors are the dismissive rear end in a top hat Rick types (or at least they like to fantasize that they are).

"Gee I dunno Rick, the prequels (blah blah blah)"

"Shut up Morty, they're stupid. *burps* They're just dumb."

I know I fantasize about being a drunken crazy old man on the regular.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 4, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Grendels Dad posted:

Here is the scene in question, starting at 3:00. Yellow robot zooming across the screen obstructing the view happens at 3:14, and I forgot that it makes it look like the robot is as tall as the stormtroopers. Admittedly it's not taking up the entire frame at once, but it's still puzzling how much poo poo happens in front of the people this scene should focus on. maybe it's one of these experiments where five people throw a ball around and you don't even notice there is a gorilla there.
I'm certainly not of the opinion that the change needed to happen, but the entire frame being taken up by a passing object is a pretty common short hand for 'it's crazy and busy here'. The viewer pov being obstructed suggests hustle and bustle. I'm struggling to think of a concrete example, but it's done frequently with cars and busses. I think maybe Fifth Element does it at one point?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Slugworth posted:

I'm certainly not of the opinion that the change needed to happen, but the entire frame being taken up by a passing object is a pretty common short hand for 'it's crazy and busy here'. The viewer pov being obstructed suggests hustle and bustle. I'm struggling to think of a concrete example, but it's done frequently with cars and busses. I think maybe Fifth Element does it at one point?

I get the intention, but the execution is horrible. The stuff in the foreground doesn't really match the stuff in the background, what with the angle the scene is shot vs. the size of the passing people and objects. Also, Mos Eisley was just introduced to us as a wretched hive of scum and villainy, this looks like a busy day on any given future town square. I guess it could have been put there to undermine what Obi Wan says (Oh my god kid, watch out this place is crazy dangerous! *booping yellow droid slowly drives past*) but I'm pretty tired of stuff like that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
Tbf at this point I hear "wretched hive of scum and villiany" and feel like I'm finally going to get some good drugs.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kinda sad that he has to say that but yeah

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

can't believe the zog lizardmen finally got to John Carpenter :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FishBulb posted:

Kinda sad that he has to say that but yeah
What's sadder are probably the multitudes of twitter shitfuckers in that thread proclaiming 'death of the author' or w/e

• Locked thread