Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Zo posted:

countdown to a worse expansion than antibirth lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The games over reliance on lovely rooms to make up challenge is in full swing in this expansion, some utterly horrendous poo poo so far and those wormholes can eat a giant pile of dicks.

Antibirth just makes this lovely expansion look even worse, that's how you do new bosses or alter existing ones, not this crap.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I like how in the Womb in Greedier enemies constantly spawn in at 1 and 2 seconds, giving you no time to fight everything and hope to god you have enough hp to withstand it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FPzero posted:

And yet the Pong challenge is super easy to clear as long as you're careful with your shots. Man, I've only played a little of the new dlc so far but it feels like a major step back from Afterbirth normal's balance.

Heck, maybe its just me, but Afterbirth felt like a bit of a step back from Rebirth too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So if I'm looking to get back into Isaac, just go with Antibirth instead? Afterbirth+ is really sounding worse than how Afterbirth was balanced when it first launched.

The Bee posted:

Heck, maybe its just me, but Afterbirth felt like a bit of a step back from Rebirth too.

Remember that Afterbirth had a ton of balance issues at launch too, as well as missing a ton of items because lol Nicalis.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
So here's a fun synergy, Diplopia works with Void. Or at least it did until I used it so many times that at some point it decided to stop working.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It keeps crashing randomly in rooms and I don't know why.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's a real joke compared to Antibirth. The new character feels super lazy and poo poo like the stone fatties makes me never want to bother with Greedier mode. The new enemies seem to include a lot of health sponges, like the spiders that poo poo the smoke balls and spawn a nest upon death because gently caress you. Then poo poo like the portals where an unlucky spawn can turbo gently caress you and make a room last forever.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

These enemy spawning void things are some serious bullshit. Sigh.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I set off the mama bomb or whatever its called in the shop area of greedier mode, it opened up what looked like the boss rush door, I tried to go in and the game crashed. :geno:

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Lol this Mama Mega item. Wtf is it doing?!

/\/\/\ lol

It keeps randomly exploding when I enter rooms

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yea the "new character" is just a new item, and greedier mode is literally just one extra boss fight as far as i can tell

well and making the timers shorter which takes like 5 seconds to change

this expansion is incredibly mediocre but it only cost 5 bucks so whatever, looking forward to more mods

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the popular kids posted:

Lol this Mama Mega item. Wtf is it doing?!

Bombs the entire floor apparently.

Edit: And little horn just spawned with big horn. :ughh:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just keep crashing, constantly, can't play. Ugh. At this rate I should wait for them to mod in Antibirth and then let modding refine the game to something playable over the next 3 years. Nicalis is so shoddy.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The wormholes seem like a bad addition to the game both mechanically and aesthetically. Just kind of a lazy idea, honestly.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Daeren posted:

Boss spoilers: Vis Sisters are horseshit.

I sure hope you like running into this on Depths 1: two Cages with like five times the health, faster rolling around when low on health, that spawn Vises and chained up demons from Sheol, and both use a Mega-Brimstone wide enough to take up half the room vertically. This has a quarter-second tell, and can rotate about 70 degrees if they feel like it.

Depths 1. Both can do this at the same time.

Also, you remember how one of the most consistent complaints about Binding of Isaac has been unavoidable damage?

How about unavoidable damage you can't see coming?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh also if it hasn't been mentioned yet, take the slog out of attempting Bassackwards and just exit to the main menu and resume your game to skip the first boss fight.

Not sure if every boss in the April's Fools challenge being the same boss is intended or not, but it makes for a really annoying 1-1 fight and then just a boring fight every other floor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is avoidable (the spikes pop out before you hit the chest) but it does suck because you have to waste your time slowing down to check.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did they at least at new pills effects to make the drat things worthwhile again?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geight posted:

Oh also if it hasn't been mentioned yet, take the slog out of attempting Bassackwards and just exit to the main menu and resume your game to skip the first boss fight.

Not sure if every boss in the April's Fools challenge being the same boss is intended or not, but it makes for a really annoying 1-1 fight and then just a boring fight every other floor.

It is intended.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is avoidable (the spikes pop out before you hit the chest) but it does suck because you have to waste your time slowing down to check.

In that gif, how do you get past that chest without flying, even if you see the spikes before you touch it?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Daeren posted:

As far as I can tell, you can slowly move towards the chest and it will reveal itself as a chest with spikes. It's still annoying as hell though, and often it's just instinct to instantly go for the chest.

It's things like that, Lost, Keeper, and the general slog of the first few floors that has burned me out on this game. I love so many things about BoI and have put so many hours into it throughout the years but it feels like the developers watch guys that have 5000 hours in the game like Cobaltstreak and base all their design decisions on those types of players.

I'd actually be fine with most of it if they just significantly increased the base damage of all the characters. The first half of the game is boring and only really becomes fun when you have a nice collection of damage items.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alteisen posted:

It is intended.

That's awful, but at least better than the challenge being broken. gently caress that boss.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Delirium seems like "minimal artwork: the boss"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Champion brownie that spawns multiple of those dark blue worms then dies into 4 of those charging black poops that turn into something else upon death.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Bee posted:

I didn't play Afterbirth when it launched, instead only getting it as a gift from a friend back this summer so I can't speak to how it was at the beginning. Having played it a bunch by now, I feel generally comfortable with most of the game's content and balance. Exceptions include Bloat, Adversary's curving laser, Rag Man's 1st floor appearances, and Ultra Greed/Hush's damage cap (note: I don't know if any of these where in vanilla Rebirth and not Afterbirth only.

Afterbirth+ on the other hand... The portals feel really cheap and need some major balancing to them. Either they should be rarer, not come in pairs, have a maximum cap on the number of enemies it spawns total (not just a cap on how many enemies from one portal will be on the field at once), not have other enemies in the room with them, or have a decreased enemy spawn rate. Any combination of those five would go a long way to making them less cheap. Mega Horn is the only new boss I've encountered so far but he seems like he was placed way too early on for players. I can see the Stone Fatties becoming really annoying really fast, especially because they also move super quickly and block shots. Then there's all the stuff I haven't personally encountered yet that everyone else is describing that just makes it sound like the difficulty balance went totally out the window here.

It's a shame really. Binding of Isaac is a really fun game. If some of these things don't get addressed by balancing, maybe I'll have to play without the + DLC :shrug:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Welp, I got Real Platinum God in Rebirth and 1001% in Afterbirth.

After reading this thread, thanks for saving me money, victims of Afterbirth+.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Daeren posted:

haha

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Daeren posted:

Also, you remember how one of the most consistent complaints about Binding of Isaac has been unavoidable damage?

Okay, the chests are annoying but I can live with them as dumb as they are. I'm glad to get confirmation about them at least because I ran into them a few times and was wondering if I was going crazy.

But, holy poo poo Edmund, how can that loving attack be considered fair in any capacity?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean krampus already has an attack which can be literally undodgable if he's at the right spot in the room and it rotates in the right direction, so what the gently caress else is new

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

I mean krampus already has an attack which can be literally undodgable if he's at the right spot in the room and it rotates in the right direction, so what the gently caress else is new

Don't forget tiny room krampus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amwqrSXYWgw

This was the first lost run I ever did.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Hmm. I know. I'll make an item that creates chain lightning between enemies. It's super cool and fun! But wait, can't have too much fun in a single player game... aha! I'll make it randomly hurt you if you hold the fire button down too long! That way no one will ever use this awesome new item more than the time it gets them killed!"

Seriously, what the gently caress. That item was rad until I realized I was nuking the poo poo out of myself. That thing needs Book of Shadows with a one-room charge to function properly, I think. I sure hope the community salvages this because outside of a few fun Challenges and one really shite one, I'm not feelin' it anymore.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Overall this update is pretty god awful and I honestly have no drive to even bother playing it. There's so much trash in the item pools now runs are so slow and boring that it makes FFT battles seem fast paced. The new enemies are complete trash and the new bosses I've run across are such uninspired poo poo that I just want someone to make a WotL mod so I can forget all this garbage Edmund has shoved down the game's throat and go back to when Isaac was actually a fun game. Maybe a "gently caress Edmund and his Cagey Bloat" balance mod too.

Why is it that every single release after the previous he takes every mechanic everyone hated the most and shits it all over the game? Compared to antibirth absolutely none of the new bosses feel inspiring at all and are just quick hack jobs to pretend it's new content. Take the Dia Sisters or whatever - they're literally just two Cages, one or both can be champions with a lovely brimstone mechanic on it.

Nevermind that the osx version's release comes with this stupid pile of trash for release notes:
code:
Follow these steps to extract The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+'s resources:

A.	Open the folder containing ResourceExtractor in one Finder window and 
	leave it open.

B.	1.	In Steam, right-click on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and select 
		Properties.
	2.	Click the Local Files tab
	3.	Click Browse Local Files
	4.	Right-click the app and select View Package Contents
	5.	Browse to Contents/Resources/
	6.	Leave this window open.

C.	Create a new folder "Extracted Resources" (you can name it whatever you 
	want) in the location where you want to extract the resources, and open 
	its location in a third Finder window. You'll need roughly 600 MB of free 
	space in this location.

D.	Now, open the app "Terminal," located in Applications/Utilities.

E.	1.	Drag "ResourceExtractor" onto the terminal window
	2.	Drag "Resources" (the parent folder, not the "resources" folder inside)
		onto the terminal window
	3.	Drag "Extracted Resources" onto the terminal window
	4.	Click on the terminal window and press return or enter to start the extraction
WHY? WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS poo poo FOR YOUR OWN OFFICIAL MOD TOOL. I don't even have the drive to do all this poo poo to even look at how broken of a tool Nicalis poo poo out anyways.

Much better.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

ChibiSoma posted:

I sure hope the community salvages this because outside of a few fun Challenges and one really shite one, I'm not feelin' it anymore.

I know it was only $7 but this expansion doesn't even feel worth that. Did a couple of runs and watched some streams and just refunded that poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So you can suck up the Polaroid and the Negative with Void, it will stop your run at Sheol or the Cathedral :v:

I expected such behavior, but just wanted to see.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I already knew that their "vision" of the game was something entirely different from what I enjoy about it... but somehow I'm still a bit disappointed.

What's your favorite new room? Mine has to be the small room with like 6 full grown Blastocysts. Completely unavoidable damage until they're all dead! For added fun, I had Death's Touch so after all of them split twice they literally filled the entire room.

e: or maybe the room in Basement I with a portal that's inside a rock formation. To hit it you need to go inside the formation and shoot at it (which means it also spawns enemies directly on top of you). Literal run-ender for Judas, etc. on Basement friggin 1 :shepface:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 4, 2017

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did drop rates on the chest get hosed with? I explored the whole thing and only got consumables for clearing rooms, no chests at all with 1.0 luck. Thought it was probably variance but the same thing happened to NL on stream and then i got suspicious :tinfoil:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
sounds like edmund has been playing nuclear throne

there are plenty of times where you will spawn in a room and be killed VVVVVVV

Relin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 4, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nuclear throne is 100% fair though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Well, after a small amount of play, I'm not sure if I like this game anymore. Just ... too far in all the wrong directions, which is weird for me to say because I loved the way I'd get lost in the item pool and learn over time, and get better at the play mechanics.

Kinda like fried butter at this point.