Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

As terrible as Sky's commentators are at least they have streaming passes now.

My dad who is good and cool pointed out that Sky's commentators are like Christmas Cracker jokes, which will mean nothing to the Americans. Crackers are a tube with a small amount of explosive inside that go bang when you pull them apart. Inside there is a poo poo toy or a poo poo tiny picture frame/sewing kit/tape measure if you get the posh ones, a paper crown, and a joke. The jokes are grade A dad jokes, and it is traditional for your father to make you all read the first part out and everyone has to try and guess the punch line, which no one ever does. The answer is read out to a collective groan. This is a bonding experience for the whole family. Crofty and Brundle are the collective groan of formula 1.

I only found out last week that Christmas crackers weren't a brand or style of crackers. I was googling around about why you Brits wear those silly paper crowns on Christmas.

Cool story bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nowt wrong with being able to wear a crown all day without it being weird. :colbert: We also drink Buck's Fizz (champagne and orange juice) at breakfast.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

What does a vampire take for a bad cough?!

coffin medicine!!!

:dance:

...I'm sorry :(

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Let's just all try and be like Felipe and stay cool.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only a few more days till the second most boring driver announcement of the year, the first being that whirrline has signed for sauber.

Don't worry everyone! Ferrari have a foolproof plan for winning that 2017 WCC! http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-ferrari-tipped-for-new-livery-new-engine-tech-in-f1-2017-862449/

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
But the whole thing was that Felipe wasn't staying cool and had to be told to do so by Smedley....

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://twitter.com/F1/status/816377475470983168

:chloe:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIP formula 1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Might as well kill the sport before the contemptible Max Verstappen wins a title.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Might as well kill the sport before the contemptible Max Verstappen wins a title.

I just hope SA is still around then so I can watch the goddamn meltdowns ITT

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Khablam posted:

I just hope SA is still around then so I can watch the goddamn meltdowns ITT

it's only 11 months away. 10 if he locks it up early.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is anyone following MotoGP this year btw? Probably the series I'm looking forward to the most, 2015 and 2016 were great and now we just had a crazy silly season. Tipping Vinales to be the champ (if Marquez is the next Rossi, Vinales is totally the next boring-rear end Lorenzo who will make the sport boring again)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I am, caught a race in 2015, started really watching it this year and it's just been god drat fantastic to watch every race. Can't make heads or tails of Vinales but he seems capable and Rossi seemed to want a more passive teammate.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I should start caring about bikes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope Iannone does well with Suzuki, him getting sacked from Ducati was harsh and made me wonder if they just wanted a steady #2 like Dovizioso for Lorenzo. Suzuki is historically my favorite bike manufacturer so I'm hoping the combo succeeds.

New manufacturer in the sport too, KTM looks like they're serious, and there's always the bike GP tradition of laughing at Aprilia's latest effort to try and compete in the top class.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 3, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Aprilia's repeated failures to be a 500cc/MotoGP manufacturer are almost Alfa-like. They are really really bad at big bikes (except they're good at Superbike too, it's just MotoGP they suck at)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Suzuki looked like they were starting to get their poo poo together by the end of the season. I've got close to zero context on the history of the sport beyond being really interested on the two stroke engine designs so it's tough to hold any expectations of any manufacturer myself. Iannone did look like the better of the two ducati riders for most the year though.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Aprilia's repeated failures to be a 500cc/MotoGP manufacturer are almost Alfa-like. They are really really bad at big bikes (except they're good at Superbike too, it's just MotoGP they suck at)

I do like the fact that you can just be a manufacturer though and it's not like F1 where you absolutely 100% need to be delivering results otherwise your year and program is a total failure.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
things about MotoGP history you need to know

1) spain is ruining the sport
2) 90s 250cc was the peak of the sport

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised no one watches Channel 4. Also, I have a feeling Liberty is going to take a good look at Dorna and how they do the amazing MotoGP online streaming service and copy that.

Is there actually much incentive to copy that when they have a load of TV revenue that a move like that could sabotage though?

I'm not sure what the revenue is like in other countries, but I remember when Sky secured exclusive rights last year the figures mentioned were insane, way bigger than what they were getting in the BBC days.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

Maybe I should start caring about bikes.

This is me but :effort: Plus I don't find bikes nearly as exciting as 4 wheel motorsport for whatever retarded reason. Cars 4 lyfe, y0

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F1 is objectively way less entertaining than MotoGP. Just look at the parc ferme celebrations in the two to see. But there's more money in F1 so we all have to pay attention to it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bryter posted:

Is there actually much incentive to copy that when they have a load of TV revenue that a move like that could sabotage though?

I'm not sure what the revenue is like in other countries, but I remember when Sky secured exclusive rights last year the figures mentioned were insane, way bigger than what they were getting in the BBC days.

The incentive is to try and broaden the fan base rather than squeezing more money from an ever decreasing set of hardcore fans.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

Reported.

I expect no less from an SJW

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I expect no less from an SJW

Super Juicy Wicka

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

Super Juicy Wicka

I meant a super jerk-off wanker

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I meant a super jerk-off wanker

I'm super at jerking off, that's for god drat sure.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somebody should invite Sauber PR to post in this thread.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I can't hate on Verstappen, the sport needs someone to root against, MSC, then HAM, then VET, you jerks wouldn't have anything to argue about if we didn't have these guys, only year I can think of is 2009 when everyone wanted our Jens to win, well apart from some Brazilians, oh and Rubens family

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted Rubens to win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did you vote remain too?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

His name is Boobens

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

I'm super at jerking off, that's for god drat sure.

:eyepoop:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I'm 100% certain this was made specifically to be used in the worst thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes the quality of posting in here gets too high and needs to be brought down a bit.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

djssniper posted:

I can't hate on Verstappen, the sport needs someone to root against, MSC, then HAM, then VET, you jerks wouldn't have anything to argue about if we didn't have these guys, only year I can think of is 2009 when everyone wanted our Jens to win, well apart from some Brazilians, oh and Rubens family

Yeah, for whatever reason I never really liked Rosberg, and I was indifferent to liked the rest of the field.

But the latter half of this year and especially when Rosberg said, "gently caress you! Got mine!" and retired, I kind of had been building a shift of perspective on him. Maybe it's because he has been generally quieter this year and had more focused on driving (or he's always been like this and I just didn't notice), but despite his winning exclamations being a little cheesy, I think he was genuinely that excited to win every race that he did.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Sometimes the quality of posting in here gets too high and needs to be brought down a bit.

Thank your for your continued dedicated services.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Also, I have a feeling Liberty is going to take a good look at Dorna and how they do the amazing MotoGP online streaming service and copy that.

I mean for fucks sake they even have a No Spoilers page you can bookmark which are just links for all the streams if you missed anything and no results anywhere to be seen whatsoever. That's some seriously good thinking.

the MotoGP app is amazing, great value, the apps and website do Chromecast, and the No Spoilers page is also a choice for the phone/tablet app too.

Alain Post posted:

I hope Iannone does well with Suzuki, him getting sacked from Ducati was harsh and made me wonder if they just wanted a steady #2 like Dovizioso for Lorenzo. Suzuki is historically my favorite bike manufacturer so I'm hoping the combo succeeds.

that sound is Iannone throwing it down the road and skittling Dovi off somehow again. It wasn't harsh at all IMO, he was fast but also crashy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dovizioso is a complete mediocrity, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Alain Post posted:

things about MotoGP history you need to know

1) spain is ruining the sport
2) 90s 250cc was the peak of the sport

1) Are you saying it was better when it was all anglos like waynes and kevs?
Or it was better when it was all Italians winning everything?

2) RIP Kato :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2017

• Locked thread