Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I lost to the last phase of Mega Satan in the Ultra Hard challenge. Had Abaddon, Satanic Bible (the only way I could ever replenish my health) and other good items. Time to hold R for another half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Ayn Randi posted:

Did drop rates on the chest get hosed with? I explored the whole thing and only got consumables for clearing rooms, no chests at all with 1.0 luck. Thought it was probably variance but the same thing happened to NL on stream and then i got suspicious :tinfoil:

Well, in the only run I've only played far, I had 24 luck + guppy's tail by the time I got to the chest. I got a chest basically every room. So :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm pretty certain that the reason BoI was any good at any point was purely by chance. Like many others, I always loved how skill-based it was and defended it by saying that it's "just a few tweaks away from being perfectly fair" but Ed & Co. seems to disagree and have been working tirelessly to make it less fair and more clusterfuck-y :smith: Afterbirth was bad, but this is on another level. I wonder how they can be so disconnected with their fanbase, all the youtubers and streamers I've seen enjoy(ed) the game for the same reasons I did.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's bad. I've submitted for a refund.

Afterbirth is still fine tho.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the item pool was massively bloated already now its even worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
good enemies added in afterbirth+:
-mushroom turrets
-depths spiders that shoot lil horn balls
-that's it

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Instead of buying AB+ I went ahead and donated money to the Antibirth developers for making a Good Expansion.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been trying to have a single successful Apollyon run for 3 hours. I haven't made it past the Heart. What the portals don't ruin, the lack of any damage ups does. At this point I'm genuinely wondering if McMillen and company didn't purposely sabotage AB+ on purpose so no one would bother him for more. I'm not gonna try getting a refund because maybe the community can still fix it. But man, this is disappointing as hell. I'm not angry, I'm just sad that this game series I used to love has turned into... whatever the gently caress this is.

If the mod tools were accessible to people who didn't know how to code, I could at least have fun there maybe. But they aren't. I'm sure plenty of tutorials will appear, but a cursory glance shows it wouldn't lemme do the one thing I was hoping it would. Maybe better tools will come along in due time, too. For now? I dunno if I have it in me to even bother playing, much less getting back to 100%. Because listen - at some point, any of us who keep plugging away at this are gonna hafta both get to the new boss as The Lost and the Keeper (which means a Hush fight) and do Greedier Mode with him.

Antibirth seems unbalanced as all hell, but at least it did some things rather than just dump 10 enemies in a small room and say 'good luck.'

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Welp fought the Sisters Vis, yeah they are complete bullshit. If it weren't for the fact I had flight and there were a couple rocks in the room for me to hover over, I have no clue how I would have won. One of them rolled up and bounced around the room for nearly a minute leaving creep everywhere. I just sat there since the other wasn't moving while this happened and watched, wondering when the attack would end.

At this point, i feel like I should wait until more masochistic people have documented the unlocks so I can see how "worth it" the items hidden behind the bullshit like Ultra Hard challenge and Greedier Mode are. And then not play them ever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IronicDongz posted:

good enemies added in afterbirth+:
-mushroom turrets
-depths spiders that shoot lil horn balls
-that's it

The new character is nice. He's not bullshit "don't get hit" mode like the Lost and Keeper.

And I think I've seen a few interesting items?

But yeah, holy poo poo this is pretty bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I thought The Lost was proof that Edmund actually wanted BoI to be balanced and fair, and that it meant they were probably going to fix unfair rooms in order to make The Lost a pure skill character :cripes:

Then I remembered his tweet about how he thinks win or lose decided by a coin flip instead of skill is Cool and Good :cripes:

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

ChibiSoma posted:

Seems that way.

Speaking of, Backasswards might be worst than Brains. You start at Mega Satan with some orbitals, Headless Baby, and a Dunce Capped Ludovico. You have 12 red hearts and both you and your tear are slow as all hell. It makes trying to kill Lust/Super Lust incredibly difficult.

Actually, the items you get are randomized -- I got a few orbitals plus Quad Shot Mega Fetus; once you beat Mega Satan, you do all the floors in reverse, and lose an item and a red heart every time you advance.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

I remember when I thought The Lost was proof that Edmund actually wanted BoI to be balanced and fair, and that it meant they were probably going to fix unfair rooms in order to make The Lost a pure skill character :cripes:

Then I remembered his tweet about how he thinks win or lose decided by a coin flip instead of skill is Cool and Good :cripes:

I sincerely hope no unlocks are tied to the new boss cause you ain't killing that fucker with the lost.

Also the stone fatties don't go away in greedier mode if you can't finish off your current wave so if you get a particularly bad spawn you are hosed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alkydere posted:

The new character is nice. He's not bullshit "don't get hit" mode like the Lost and Keeper.

And I think I've seen a few interesting items?

But yeah, holy poo poo this is pretty bad.
He's a very boring "here's a character with an item. Uhhhh also he has one heart fewer or something." It's not terrible because the Void is an interesting item, but compared to the Antibirth characters it seems like something they thought up in ten minutes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pants Donkey posted:

He's a very boring "here's a character with an item. Uhhhh also he has one heart fewer or something." It's not terrible because the Void is an interesting item, but compared to the Antibirth characters it seems like something they thought up in ten minutes.

Yeah, I'll give you that. He's basically a vessel for a cool item and that's it.

His item is pretty swag though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'll certainly take it over another Keeper, that's for sure.

Lilith is a better design for a character that starts with an item. Well, pre-nerf, anyways.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
On the Good news front, the Pong challenge will let you have a second tear in play if you get Incubus. Got that and small rock on the same floor, helped deal with my rusty skills in Isaac.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You know if nothing else I will say that the Backasswards challenge got a good laugh out of me since I haven't played Isaac in months, and I decided to do that challenge first. Just a good "Welcome to Afterbirth+" moment.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Vis Sisters feels like something that should have been caught in playtesting, and I'm honestly curious as to how it wasn't.

I haven't gotten Antibirth, but at this point I think it might be a better investment of my time and money than stone fatties and tear-sponge boss designs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Geight posted:

Just a good "Welcome to Afterbirth+" moment.
not as good as this whole Greedier mode run, which I strongly encourage everyone to watch

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Void can apparently lose all of its stored items somehow. It was either dying/reviving with Guppy or exiting/continuing the game.

All I know is it screwed me over because I expected to be able to use the Guppy's paw effect after reviving from Guppy and instead Void didn't do anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

IronicDongz posted:

not as good as this whole Greedier mode run, which I strongly encourage everyone to watch

That looks horrifically unfun. How are you supposed to get through that without an extremely good first item?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

That looks horrifically unfun. How are you supposed to get through that without an extremely good first item?

In this, you grasp the basic flaw of Afterbirth+'s design philosophy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poltergrift posted:

Vis Sisters feels like something that should have been caught in playtesting, and I'm honestly curious as to how it wasn't.

Your problem is assuming they actually did any playtesting. As far as Nicalis is concerned QA doesn't exist, after all they're not game developers :thumbsup:

e:

Poltergrift posted:

I haven't gotten Antibirth, but at this point I think it might be a better investment of my time and money than stone fatties and tear-sponge boss designs.

yes to this though. There are still some BS rooms with unavoidable damage, some horrible enemies etc. but on a whole it seems like the developers of Antibirth at least want to make the game fair and skill-based.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 4, 2017

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're supposed to reset until you get a good item.

That's why they even added a great achievement for resetting a bunch of times in a row!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Play Lilith, I guess? Although I still lost to Ultra Greed's second form

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

E...excuse me? What the gently caress did I eat with void to do this exactly? :catstare:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Wrist Watch posted:

E...excuse me? What the gently caress did I eat with void to do this exactly? :catstare:

dataminer

useless other than graphics effect as far as i can tell

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
8 blastocysts in a single room with a portal.

Yea that's fair.

Edit: Some people are saying that Chaos Card does something odd to Delirium.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 4, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zo posted:

dataminer

Apparently it also increases or decreases a stat by a small amount when used.

I'm really hoping that's not another jab at what happened with the Lost's unlock method. :cripes:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently it also increases or decreases a stat by a small amount when used.

I'm really hoping that's not another jab at what happened with the Lost's unlock method. :cripes:

"i'm not mad, i never even cared that much" says developer still making references to thing that happened two years ago

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Just accidentally stepped into my orange portal out of the Hush room when he had the tiniest sliver of health left

I am the Lost and I am very sad

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm probably just going to uninstall it and wait until it potentially gets fixed like Afterbirth did. I think in the end Afterbirth ended up super positive with new synergies and item fixes, and that's sorta one of the thing that keeps me from really playing Antibirth is that I'm so used to some of the Afterbirth QoL changes that items being crap or not having synergies really sticks out to me. It's why I was hoping the mod would get ported up but there's a rumor they're not even gonna touch it now. Hopefully Afterbirth+ DOES get fixed though, since I had some cool item ideas I wanted to try making but the changes to the game right now just don't make it worth it.

This is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth tbh. The release and the response to it. I dunno.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zo posted:

dataminer

Okay...any idea what caused my character to turn into a grey silhouette for the rest of the run? I also got an achievement called "U Broke It" with a picture of a pill after uh, blowing up a mushroom? Not really sure what triggered that. It got kind of difficult to know what was happening anymore.

Also, do you have to do anything special to unlock the new bosses? Haven't seen them yet, but I only did a couple runs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tyty posted:

I'm probably just going to uninstall it and wait until it potentially gets fixed like Afterbirth did. I think in the end Afterbirth ended up super positive with new synergies and item fixes, and that's sorta one of the thing that keeps me from really playing Antibirth is that I'm so used to some of the Afterbirth QoL changes that items being crap or not having synergies really sticks out to me. It's why I was hoping the mod would get ported up but there's a rumor they're not even gonna touch it now. Hopefully Afterbirth+ DOES get fixed though, since I had some cool item ideas I wanted to try making but the changes to the game right now just don't make it worth it.

This is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth tbh. The release and the response to it. I dunno.

Yeah, I heard something about them trying to do so, but apparently AB+ left such a bad taste in the Antibirth team's mouths that they don't want to do it anymore. No idea if it's true or not.

EDIT: The new thread tag and title are perfect. :allears:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 4, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Well, some of the people working on it have beef with Nicalis to begin with (not that I blame them, Tyrone is an rear end and the company overall has done some really sketchy stuff) but they're going to be backporting stuff from AB+ maybe? That seems like a real quick way to get poo poo from Nicalis since that would essentially be implementing paid DLC in a free mod.

Not to mention I don't really see a modding API ever really making its way Antibirth to begin with. It's a fuckton of work to set one up and kinda beyond the scope of the actual mod.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The new title and thread icon is perfect :discourse:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alteisen posted:

8 blastocysts in a single room with a portal.

Yea that's fair.

Edit: Some people are saying that Chaos Card does something odd to Delirium.

I had an incredible run and hit this room. I just laughed and laughed as I died with no way to avoid it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so uh, from what i hear the new dlc might have doubled down on the things i wasn't a huge fan of with binding of isaac. i didn't even get afterbirth because it looked kinda like a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

so uh, from what i hear the new dlc might have doubled down on the things i wasn't a huge fan of with binding of isaac. i didn't even get afterbirth because it looked kinda like a clusterfuck.

Just watch this, and back away from the dumpster fire.

IronicDongz posted:

Though from what I hear, there's a mod called Antibirth that's fairly good. You don't even need Afterbirth to get it installed.