Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The RB67 sits in the shade. It's so angular! And completely inoperable. Hands fumble for any sort of interface with the controls, but the toggles and cranks are impossible to find beneath the grip. All it can do is sit there, on the ground. No goon dares to lift its crushing weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Can that huge wooden grip be removed if you so desire?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah and sold for a hundred bucks

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

noice

Untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 2, 2017

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Finally shot and developed some expired Astia 220 that I bought from some goon earlier 2016. My first time developing E-6 at home :)

edit: I need to dust better

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 3, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

The P67 is a really unergonomic camera, ironically it's worse with the grip since that's the side you're focusing/adjusting shutter speed with so you can never really use it. The base of the camera is full of square edges and it's heavy obviously. The eye-level prisms on the 67 are super heavy because glass etc.

I love my fat wooden p67 grip.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BANME.sh posted:

Finally shot and developed some expired Astia 220 that I bought from some goon earlier 2016. My first time developing E-6 at home :)

edit: I need to dust better

The best bit is pulling a big roll of developed slides out of the tank, very satisfying

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
They came out kinda blue and hazy at first and I was worried I screwed something up, but they cleared up in a few minutes.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Architecture - tough without a TTL viewfinder

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

quote:

Did you give the poor thing some water or do you think the photographer's role is merely to document and not interfere?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Traditional values - such as wrapping up your outdoor tropical plants so they don't freeze -are being discarded in the era of increasing post-industrial malaise.

Front yards in the south will often feature outdoor plants wrapped in blankets when a freeze is expected. Those wrapped plants were the subject of a student's photography exhibit I saw in college. I consider this photo my response.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Traditional values - such as wrapping up your outdoor tropical plants so they don't freeze -are being discarded in the era of increasing post-industrial malaise.

Front yards in the south will often feature outdoor plants wrapped in blankets when a freeze is expected. Those wrapped plants were the subject of a student's photography exhibit I saw in college. I consider this photo my response.

For real: I love this photo (perhaps because the intersection of plants and human environment is basically my favourite thing to photograph). Bravo.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thank you.

Joking aside, something else I'll always remember about that exhibit (it was an alumna from some years prior who had been invited back to display their work for current students) : when one of my fellow undergrads made a comment during the Q&A that they were impressed by the photographer's dedication to Plant Blanket Photography (she had a portfolio containing hundreds of individual blanket-wrapped plants), the artist offered -otherwise unsolicited- that she was fortunate to have a husband and parents who all pitched into the pay for her to do nothing except work on the project, which took over a year. She also said that she had no job prospects and no intention of ever seeking employment, and strongly intimated that it was basically impossible to pursue art seriously and also hold down a job.

It was probably a good object lesson for the art majors in attendance, but it also turned me off of photography for a long time.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 5, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I feel honestly like it's just a matter of someone deciding that you're good enough (or you working hard enough to get your art out there) and using connections and networking for someone to become a ~professional artist~ in most visual mediums. I've seen loads of garbage art from professionals and lots of stuff from amateurs that I would suggest would be more acclaimed by people had they not already bought into the professional's work because people have told them that this is a professional artist look at what they've done here.

You see this in literature quite a bit - once someone is published or has a few great pieces of work out there it's like they get put on infallible creative tenure and all new work is appreciated on the basis of the writing which drove them to success.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
8x10s

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

The P67 is a really unergonomic camera, ironically it's worse with the grip since that's the side you're focusing/adjusting shutter speed with so you can never really use it. The base of the camera is full of square edges and it's heavy obviously. The eye-level prisms on the 67 are super heavy because glass etc.

Pro tip: they obviously didn't give you a giant wooden handgrip so you could jerk off with that hand instead of holding the weight of the 10 pound camera it's attached to.

On a 35mm camera you hold with your left (or right: personal choice), focus with your left (edit: really you can also focus with your right index on most lenses), and shoot with your right. On the P67 it's too big to do that, so you hold the camera with the grip on your left, and both focus and shoot with your right. If you learned to focus 35mm SLRs with your right, well, you are poo poo out of luck, you get to relearn that.

There are focus rings that attach to the lenses that help you to reach with your right hand if you have tiny baby hands or don't want to reach off the shutter.

All medium format SLRs are heavy as gently caress, that just goes with the territory. It's a matter of degrees but the P67 is vastly better for handheld shooting than, say, the Mamiya 6x7 SLRs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 6, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If the shutter speed adjustment was on the right I'd agree but you have to take your hand off the grip to adjust this on the left side. I basically shoot with a tripod no matter what anyways.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

If the shutter speed adjustment was on the right I'd agree but you have to take your hand off the grip to adjust this on the left side. I basically shoot with a tripod no matter what anyways.

Yeah, the trick is you just shoot "shutter priority". You set it to something reasonable for your lens (bearing in mind that things can get funky below 1/60th), and you carry it around like that. Then when you see a shot you just zero the meter using the aperture, or if your scene isn't at neutral grey overall (for an averaging meter) you tweak the exposure comp or just aim the meter a little above or below neutral.

If you have a second to frame your shot/etc you can also just take your hand off the shutter release and dial in whatever shutter speed adjustment you need. It's really not like reaching over for a second to tweak the dial is a big deal in comparison to being able to effortlessly hold a 10 pound camera.

That's always how it works: you can either be Henri Cartier-Bresson and compensate your exposure with your print, or you can get the good exposure and settle for it taking maybe 1/4 second to set up. Welcome to manual SLRs. If you don't like it, buy a P67ii and an AE pentaprism, that way you can blame autoexposure when your negatives don't turn out like you imagined they would.

edit: Also as someone with big hands, the shutter speed adjustment is actually within reach of my left hand even when it's on the grip, I just shift weight to my right hand for a sec and lean my thumb over a bit. I really think you may just have tiny trump hands.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 6, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Not gonna lie, I love this shot from the last thread, perfect tribute to this video:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, the trick is you just shoot "shutter priority". You set it to something reasonable for your lens (bearing in mind that things can get funky below 1/60th), and you carry it around like that. Then when you see a shot you just zero the meter using the aperture, or if your scene isn't at neutral grey overall (for an averaging meter) you tweak the exposure comp or just aim the meter a little above or below neutral.

If you have a second to frame your shot/etc you can also just take your hand off the shutter release and dial in whatever shutter speed adjustment you need. It's really not like reaching over for a second to tweak the dial is a big deal in comparison to being able to effortlessly hold a 10 pound camera.

That's always how it works: you can either be Henri Cartier-Bresson and compensate your exposure with your print, or you can get the good exposure and settle for it taking maybe 1/4 second to set up. Welcome to manual SLRs. If you don't like it, buy a P67ii and an AE pentaprism, that way you can blame autoexposure when your negatives don't turn out like you imagined they would.

edit: Also as someone with big hands, the shutter speed adjustment is actually within reach of my left hand even when it's on the grip, I just shift weight to my right hand for a sec and lean my thumb over a bit. I really think you may just have tiny trump hands.

Eh I use the aperture for ~creative control~ of the image. Like I said a tripod solves all these issues. I do love the camera and I'm not complaining about it. I wear the largest stocked size gloves at my work so I don't think it's a hand size thing. I'll usually frame and set aperture depending on what DoF I want, then dial in the shutter speed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

Eh I use the aperture for ~creative control~ of the image. Like I said a tripod solves all these issues. I do love the camera and I'm not complaining about it. I wear the largest stocked size gloves at my work so I don't think it's a hand size thing. I'll usually frame and set aperture depending on what DoF I want, then dial in the shutter speed.

If you can't look at a scene and have some conceptual idea of what aperture you might like to shoot that scene at, maybe you aren't ready to shoot medium format yet. Full disclosure: it's a buck a frame, developed cost.

Also, if a half stop either way on the aperture would kill your ~creative control~, and you are unable to adapt to this with your technical expertise on how to work a camera: you need a shutter priority camera, and also to not be shooting medium format yet.

The P67 is not any more complex than a K1000. That's the 35mm comparison: it's a big K1000 that shoots 6x7 negatives, and that's a camera that literally every photo student has shot for the last 40 years. But not everyone is cracked up to shoot a K1000, even as simple as that is. Some people need program modes to do everything for them. But you're not going to fool anyone in this thread by pretending a K1000 is some complex monster. It's got a meter built in, that makes it easier than 95% of the medium format cameras on the market.

(double extra pro-tip: learn sunny-16 and you can predict the exposures you're going to take even without picking up a meter, and then you have a free second to tweak the shutter speed dial, because it's literally just "that's a shady area under a tree", "that's a beach", etc)

Again, I don't want to encourage anyone to not do medium format, it's easy, literally as easy as 35mm, that's the point here. Go ahead and buy The Big K1000 (tm), or a TLR, or whatever. "It's Easy Enough Your Conservative Dad Figured It Out 50 Years Ago". And he didn't even have the Internet to help.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 6, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you can't look at a scene and have some conceptual idea of what aperture you might like to shoot that scene at, maybe you aren't ready to shoot medium format yet. Full disclosure: it's a buck a frame, developed cost.

Also, if a half stop either way on the aperture would kill your ~creative control~, and you are unable to adapt to this with your technical expertise on how to work a camera: you need a shutter priority camera, and also to not be shooting medium format yet.

The P67 is not any more complex than a K1000. That's the 35mm comparison: it's a big K1000 that shoots 6x7 negatives, and that's a camera that literally every photo student has shot for the last 40 years. But not everyone is cracked up to shoot a K1000, even as simple as that is. Some people need program modes to do everything for them. But you're not going to fool anyone in this thread by pretending a K1000 is some complex monster. It's got a meter built in, that makes it easier than 95% of the medium format cameras on the market.

(double extra pro-tip: learn sunny-16 and you can predict the exposures you're going to take even without picking up a meter, and then you have a free second to tweak the shutter speed dial, because it's literally just "that's a shady area under a tree", "that's a beach", etc)

Again, I don't want to encourage anyone to not do medium format, it's easy, literally as easy as 35mm, that's the point here. Go ahead and buy The Big K1000 (tm), or a TLR, or whatever. "It's Easy Enough Your Conservative Dad Figured It Out 50 Years Ago". And he didn't even have the Internet to help.

Not really sure what you're talking about? Nobody is saying it's hard to use. All I'm saying is that I agree with the popular opinion that the handle isn't that great. I know how to use a camera thanks. I dunno if you aren't reading my posts or if your dad worked on the assembly line making Pentax 67 handles and so you're incensed by my assertion that it should be on the other side with a shutter release built in.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

Not really sure what you're talking about? Nobody is saying it's hard to use. All I'm saying is that I agree with the popular opinion that the handle isn't that great.

Then maybe don't make a bunch of excuses about how the P67 doesn't give you ~creative control~, as you put it? It's an SLR camera, if you can't control it that's your problem. Handle or no.

It's a camera that pros have been using for longer than you've been alive.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pentax 67 handle sucks rear end, it'd be nice if they made one with a shutter release on it. "Shutter priority" is a lovely way to shoot.

Signed,
someone who's shot probably a thousand rolls on a pentax 67

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ansel autisms posted:

Pentax 67 handle sucks rear end, it'd be nice if they made one with a shutter release on it. "Shutter priority" is a lovely way to shoot.
Signed,
someone who's shot probably a thousand rolls on a pentax 67

signed, with love,

someone who has no idea what shutter speed or aperture they might want to shoot

apparently

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

everyone is an idiot except you

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I know exactly what shutter speed and aperture I want to shoot at. That's why the camera has these convenient dials that let me enter the settings I desire!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I love adding steps to my photo workflow so I can have a big dick wooden handle to show people I'm a big grown up who's ready for Medium Format.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I handhold my P67 and shoot medium format poorly because I want to :snoop:

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Get a GW690?

That reminds me I should shoot my 690 more.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Paul MaudDib posted:

great post

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Paul MaudDib posted:

signed, with love,

someone who has no idea what shutter speed or aperture they might want to shoot

apparently

You can pick a fight with anyone you want, but the Autist is one of the last people I'd say this about.

The P67 critics aren't saying it's a bad camera or too complicated, just that they find the handle un-ergonomic. At the end of the day, some cameras or configurations don't work well with some people, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why we tell people to get hands on a camera if they can, instead of picking them off of spec sheets alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
if you want a camera thats not ergonomic check out the pentax 645

hmm im seeing a pattern here