Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How can an adult like that kind of stuff? Magic tricks are for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

oldpainless posted:

How can an adult like that kind of stuff? trix are for kids.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Know what we need? A superboy prime movie.

please do not troll me, i am a delicate flower

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

One thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me from The Force Awakens was how they go to great length to let the audience know that the new stormtroopers (and new order personnel in general???) are literally abducted as children and indoctrinated into giving their lives for the order. Seems kinda grim while also being completely retarded. I know it's star wars and things should be ever so slightly retarded, but I think this is just bad loving writing. Makes the bad faction seem needlessly shallow. Maybe its just me but the kinda same thing annoyed me about the prequels, how having the enemies be completely expendable robots made everything the good guys (the clones, which are a whole other ethical problem in themselves) did completely inconsequential and as a result the story and setting as a whole was hurt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also not any more grim than what the Jedi Order did to children with high midichlorian counts.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

oldpainless posted:

How can an adult like that kind of stuff? Magic tricks are for kids.

oldpainless more like oldwonderless

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Biplane posted:

One thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me from The Force Awakens was how they go to great length to let the audience know that the new stormtroopers (and new order personnel in general???) are literally abducted as children and indoctrinated into giving their lives for the order. Seems kinda grim while also being completely retarded. I know it's star wars and things should be ever so slightly retarded, but I think this is just bad loving writing. Makes the bad faction seem needlessly shallow. Maybe its just me but the kinda same thing annoyed me about the prequels, how having the enemies be completely expendable robots made everything the good guys (the clones, which are a whole other ethical problem in themselves) did completely inconsequential and as a result the story and setting as a whole was hurt.

Didn't they re-write rogue one because they were afraid it was too sympathetic to terrorists? Basically it seems like they're really, really afraid of not having their badguys be like Bad Guys and their good guys unquestionable heroes. And if that lava fortress in rogue one is anything to go by, we'll be seeing some literal doom forts in the future. I hope that snoke guy turns out to be skeletor.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I was annoyed with VII because halfway through the movie another Death Star shows up, which blows up a star-system we've never heard of, and then the rest of the movie is a retread of IV. The search for Luke would have sustained the movie enough. After Rogue One the fact that the Empire/New Order can easily conjure up more of these super-weapons just makes the sacrifices of Rogue One feel redundant.

Don't forget that the new weapon is actually bigger than the death star, it's an entire planet. Death Star was just moon-sized.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Jan 4, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was annoyed with VII because halfway through the movie another Death Star shows up, which blows up a star-system we've never heard of, and then the rest of the movie is a retread of IV. The search for Luke would have sustained the movie enough. After Rogue One the fact that the Empire/New Order can easily conjure up more of these super-weapons just makes the sacrifices of Rogue One feel redundant.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

All Star Wars movies from now on are going to be focus grouped for maximum profitability.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Considering the only other option got us loving Jar Jar, I am surprisingly ok with that.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Considering the only other option got us loving Jar Jar, I am surprisingly ok with that.

And, you know, Luke, Vader, Han, Leia, R2-D2, Chewie, Yoda, etc...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tiggum posted:

What? No I'm not. Are you saying that people don't like seeing how magic tricks are done? Because there have been successful TV shows based entirely around revealing how magic tricks are done. Look in any book shop and you'll find books telling you how magic tricks are done. It's a popular way to enjoy magic tricks. :psyduck:

True, Teller was a poor example. He doesn't reveal all tricks. Just some. It's tradecraft. Like playing poker.

After watching the video of Penn getting mad at the guy that does a trick that I know how to do about 30 times, I finally figured out why he yelled. It's because he did it in a way where he knew what the dude did, but because it's tradecraft, couldn't reveal that he knew.

I hate the how-to TV shows that reveal a trick that is basically exactly what you think it is. I prefer the cups and balls trick with clear cups. That's slight of hand with a carnival barker yammering. The "how to put a sexy woman in a box and switch her out with a tiger" is lame. It's just a trick and a rig.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dordreff posted:

Tactile Telekinesis, which is basically just telekinesis but restricted to things he can touch.

That's dumb as hell. Telekinesis literally means "distant movement" - moving something you aren't touching. If you're touching it, it's not telekinesis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

That's dumb as hell. Telekinesis literally means "distant movement" - moving something you aren't touching. If you're touching it, it's not telekinesis.

The etymology of a word does not define its meaning. Telekinesis means moving stuff with your mind. Tactile telekinesis means moving stuff with your mind but only while you're touching it.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also not any more grim than what the Jedi Order did to children with high midichlorian counts.

There's a difference in being taken in to become a badass jedi vs becoming just another soldier.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my IIMM - what is the end game of rule the world types once they succeed?

Like, take the Emperor, since we're talking Star Wars. Assuming he wins and defeats the Rebellion, what is life like for him? How is his average day spent? Overseeing bureaucracy? Is that fun for him?

Congrats, you rule the galaxy. Now spend all your time and energy making sure the space trains run on time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Here's my IIMM - what is the end game of rule the world types once they succeed?

Like, take the Emperor, since we're talking Star Wars. Assuming he wins and defeats the Rebellion, what is life like for him? How is his average day spent? Overseeing bureaucracy? Is that fun for him?

Congrats, you rule the galaxy. Now spend all your time and energy making sure the space trains run on time.

I've wondered the same thing about Sauron in Lord of the Rings. Okay so he beats everybody and rules Middle-Earth. What does he do then? Just report back to Morgoth or whoever, twiddling his thumbs at his desk? Hell, what does an all-orc economy even look like? Do they beat their swords into plows and start farming? How's that different from what came before? Do they subjugate the goblins? Build boats and sail west to gently caress up the elves?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

WampaLord posted:

In real life as in movies it's all about satisfying ego and gaining relative power. Those who want to be beaurucrats don't usually end up to be world leaders or tyrants.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WampaLord posted:

IIRC (and this might be non-canon by now), part of the Emperor's motivation was to make the space trains run on time, since the Republic had gotten so bloated and corrupt it was barely governing. That's why it took twenty years and an exploded planet for the Rebellion to get going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm rewatching House and it still gets me how horribly they handed Kal Penn leaving the show

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Serf posted:

I've wondered the same thing about Sauron in Lord of the Rings. Okay so he beats everybody and rules Middle-Earth. What does he do then? Just report back to Morgoth or whoever, twiddling his thumbs at his desk? Hell, what does an all-orc economy even look like? Do they beat their swords into plows and start farming? How's that different from what came before? Do they subjugate the goblins? Build boats and sail west to gently caress up the elves?

Well, on the upside, it would mean no more loving elf poetry and songs. Unless Orcish poetry is worse, which I really doubt. And couldn't he go on to conquer wherever the gently caress the elves hosed off to at the end?

e: I'd also like to see Tom Bombadil get his, the hippy oval office.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jan 4, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I'm rewatching House and it still gets me how horribly they handed Kal Penn leaving the show

To be fair he did drop them in poo poo quite suddenly, so the rewrite had to be done equally fast. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WampaLord posted:

Why has any conqueror in history done what they've done?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why has any conqueror in history done what they've done?

Yea but no one's ever finished conquering before. I'm interested in the aftermath.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Biplane posted:

One advantage the robots had was that they actually showed the Jedi fighting them.

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon has the same issue. While they're happy to blast away at Stormtroopers in the show they never really use their lightsabers on them. But they had one episode with a leftover battalion of Clone Wars droids and they sliced and diced in that one.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Yea but no one's ever finished conquering before. I'm interested in the aftermath.

It always annoyed me too. What can you do as the emperor of the galaxy that you couldn't do as the emperor of 100 planets? Realistically there's a limit to how many gold toilets you have time to poo poo in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

One advantage the robots had was that they actually showed the Jedi fighting them.

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon has the same issue. While they're happy to blast away at Stormtroopers in the show they never really use their lightsabers on them. But they had one episode with a leftover battalion of Clone Wars droids and they sliced and diced in that one.

I remember in some of the initial art for Star Wars the lightsaber was a common weapon that stormtroopers used too. Could've had some sick Three Musketeers style laser sword duels.

Droids are far superior as opponents in Star Wars anyways, as they are sympathetic antagonists and can be destroyed willy-nilly on screen with no ratings repercussions. See: the insane war-crime execution scenes of in Transformers 3.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Car chases
Not the idea of the chase, but the way they're shown in movies. They're swerving all over the road, often while shooting at each other and/or fighting in the same vehicle, with sparks flying everywhere.
AND YET THE TRAFFIC BEHIND THEM KEEPS MOVING.

*thump*
"Oh poo poo I just ran over that guy who was thrown from that van in front of me. Well, I better keep on driving, I don't want to inconvenience anyone behind ME!"

Really?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I think the Emperor's ultimate goal is immortality - he has that line in Episode III about how only his master learned how to cheat death but he can work it out with Anakin's help.

I remember before the old EU was jettisoned by Disney it had a bunch of stuff about how the Empire fell apart really quickly after he died because a) he encouraged his minions to compete self-destructively with one another to prevent any of them from becoming a threat to him; and b) he just never bothered to create a system that would outlast him because he planned to live forever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Emperor's ultimate goal is immortality - he has that line in Episode III about how only his master learned how to cheat death but he can work it out with Anakin's help.

Okay, fine, but my question still applies. What do you DO all day as immortal Emperor of the galaxy? Regulate space trade?

I don't picture someone who has enough ambition to become ruler of everything being content with that. Does he just work in his chair all the time when not sleeping? Does he treat it like a 9-5 and he goes home and watches TV? I have so many questions!

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WampaLord posted:

Okay, fine, but my question still applies. What do you DO all day as immortal Emperor of the galaxy? Regulate space trade?

I don't picture someone who has enough ambition to become ruler of everything being content with that. Does he just work in his chair all the time when not sleeping? Does he treat it like a 9-5 and he goes home and watches TV? I have so many questions!

420 blaze all day

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember before the old EU was jettisoned by Disney it had a bunch of stuff about how the Empire fell apart really quickly after he died because a) he encouraged his minions to compete self-destructively with one another to prevent any of them from becoming a threat to him; and b) he just never bothered to create a system that would outlast him because he planned to live forever.

He also used Jedi Battle Meditation to keep his troops in line so the second he died panic swept through the ranks.

I don't remember what I got that from. Dark Empire? I know that one has him come back in a clone body and he tries to possess the third Solo child Leia is pregnant with.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I don't think his end goal was actually immortality. That was a carrot on a stick to get Anakin on his side. He really just wants to destroy the Jedi, and suppress the light side of the Force for as long as possible through his reign. And in the end he was all part of a larger prophecy that required him to achieve those goals.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Len posted:

He also used Jedi Battle Meditation to keep his troops in line so the second he died panic swept through the ranks.

I don't remember what I got that from. Dark Empire?

It's a theory Thrawn comes up with in the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

Serf posted:

I don't think his end goal was actually immortality. That was a carrot on a stick to get Anakin on his side. He really just wants to destroy the Jedi, and suppress the light side of the Force for as long as possible through his reign. And in the end he was all part of a larger prophecy that required him to achieve those goals.

Again, what does this actually look like? What is the day-to-day of "suppressing the Light Side of the force?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone in another thread said another book ended up making it true, but it was an Imperial admiral and not the Emperor himself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Again, what does this actually look like? What is the day-to-day of "suppressing the Light Side of the force?"

Mostly what we saw in the movies. Jackbooted thugs running around keeping the people down. The Death Star was intended to do away with the jackbooted thugs entirely and allow rule through a single point of insurmountable power. Fear and terror inspire darkness in people, but in the end this approach worked against him, as it was supposed to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Fun fact: before Andy Serkis mentions it in TFA, none of the movies refer to "the light side of the Force". Luke says he can turn Vader back to "the good side" but aside from that, a lot of the supplemental materials (particularly, IIRC, the ones Lucas was most involved with) tended to refer to "the Force and its dark side" and the idea was that the Jedi were meant to preserve the balance of the Force, which was disrupted by the dark side and the Sith, so Anakin would bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Y'all are very bad at answering questions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Biplane posted:

Maybe its just me but the kinda same thing annoyed me about the prequels, how having the enemies be completely expendable robots made everything the good guys (the clones, which are a whole other ethical problem in themselves) did completely inconsequential and as a result the story and setting as a whole was hurt.

The entire concept of the clone wars as portrayed in the prequels just pisses me right off.

In Star Wars, Obi-Wan says to Luke "I fought with your father in the Clone Wars" and that's all that needs to be said. The implication is clear: obviously someone was making an army of cloned soldiers to take over the galaxy, and Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker worked together to fight them off. Hordes of identical monsters, when one falls another one just like it takes its place, and there's no limit to how many there might be. Awesome.

Then in the prequels we discover that no, actually the Clone Wars were called that because the clones were the good guys, at least until they weren't the good guys any more, and the bad guys were, I dunno, robots and bugs or something? And Obi-Wan fought alongside the clones, and also every stormtrooper is a clone, and also the clones are made from Boba Fett's dad. It's the kind of garbage that only Lucas could come up with. The story would have worked perfectly as clones = bad but noooooooooooo

Serf posted:

I remember in some of the initial art for Star Wars the lightsaber was a common weapon that stormtroopers used too. Could've had some sick Three Musketeers style laser sword duels.

Yep. The stormtroopers have a little tube mounted on their armor at the small of the back that was originally supposed to be a holster for a lightsaber, or possibly the lightsaber itself. (I think it's been retconned as a grenade or something).

Note the similarity to what he's holding here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

The entire concept of the clone wars as portrayed in the prequels just pisses me right off.

In Star Wars, Obi-Wan says to Luke "I fought with your father in the Clone Wars" and that's all that needs to be said. The implication is clear: obviously someone was making an army of cloned soldiers to take over the galaxy, and Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker worked together to fight them off. Hordes of identical monsters, when one falls another one just like it takes its place, and there's no limit to how many there might be. Awesome.

Then in the prequels we discover that no, actually the Clone Wars were called that because the clones were the good guys, at least until they weren't the good guys any more, and the bad guys were, I dunno, robots and bugs or something? And Obi-Wan fought alongside the clones, and also every stormtrooper is a clone, and also the clones are made from Boba Fett's dad. It's the kind of garbage that only Lucas could come up with. The story would have worked perfectly as clones = bad but noooooooooooo

It's a nice subversion of expectations, and I like that about it. It is a little strange because wars are usually named in specific ways by the victors i.e. the French and Indian War. Should've been called the Droid War.

Also stormtroopers aren't clones.