Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DrGraevling posted:

Watching this I'm beginning to think that Tetsuya Nomura isn't actually an expert on memories and neuroscience. He seems to think that memories are stored in the heart rather than the brain.

Memories fit together in long chains like DNA. Or a zipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

DrGraevling posted:

Watching this I'm beginning to think that Tetsuya Nomura isn't actually an expert on memories and neuroscience. He seems to think that memories are stored in the heart rather than the brain.

next you're gonna be telling me that people's hearts are pulsing flesh organs and not glowing orbs, what the!!!!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

DrGraevling posted:

this nomura guy sounds like a sick freak

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Color Printer posted:

next you're gonna be telling me that people's hearts are pulsing flesh organs and not glowing orbs, what the!!!!
I can suspend my disbelief with that because you gotta make hearts look appealing, and also make taking away someone's heart not look like a Mortal Kombat fatality for rating purposes. But "the heart is the source of memories" is just way too stupid to react to with anything but a laugh.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

honestly heart is p much the fairytale and disney term for "souls", so its something i will actually kinda defend as not that out-there for a fantasy game to make grand motions about the soul

DrGraevling
Feb 5, 2014

FutureFriend posted:

honestly heart is p much the fairytale and disney term for "souls", so its something i will actually kinda defend as not that out-there for a fantasy game to make grand motions about the soul

Oh, I agree for the most part. The game has a very strong cartoon and fairytale vibe, so some of it is expected. I just find it funny rather than poignant in most scenes when they're trying so hard to be serious about their memories and their hearts. But that's pretty much in line with every part of these games (so far at least) that their attempts at being serious become unintentionally funny.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Looper posted:

this game's plot reads like fanfiction good lord

Replace "Namine" with an OC/Self-Insert and you're done.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The problem with that idea is that the soul is explicitly mentioned in Ansem the Wise's Reports. It's one of the three components of a being. The body, the heart, the soul, and losing any one or more of them makes something bad happen to you.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gologle posted:

The problem with that idea is that the soul is explicitly mentioned in Ansem the Wise's Reports. It's one of the three components of a being. The body, the heart, the soul, and losing any one or more of them makes something bad happen to you.

That's assuming that Kingdom Hearts defines soul the same way Western society does nowadays. It doesn't. The soul is just life force, the heart is your self. It's basically a medieval/ fairy tale view.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I remember Larxene being a huge pain in the rear end in the GBA version of this game. She's just way too fast and you have no room to dodge her really high sleights, especially the teleport one. It took me ages to actually beat her.

I was also in like, junior high school, so I might just have been bad at Kingdom Cards.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Larxene is pretty infuriating to deal with as a first-time opponent, since her deck is crammed full of zeroes and, as mentioned, has a lot of very high value cards to stack up her sleights with.

On the subject of hearts, I recall that when Jack tried to make one in the previous Kingdom Hearts he started by taking a container with a lock and trying to do other poo poo to it. Sora must have taken note of this when he shoved a keyblade into his heart and gave it a sharp twist :eng101:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Y'know, I think the plot of this game is actually not bad, it's just wrapped up in anime dumbness. At least, the Castle Oblivion plot. The Disney worlds aren't great.

I like Larxene. I like that she's just a mean ol' jerk.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Now that you mention it, the Disney worlds feel very tacked on in CoM. It's like Square thought of the plot first, anime nonsense and all, then squeezed in the Disney worlds later and made them fit the plot. KH1 looked it took the opposite route.

I do agree with you on Larxene, though. Sarcastically taunting heroes will get you points in my book.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

time for ocean

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Boy, Riku went from "misguided lovestruck teenager" to "irredeemable little poo poo" pretty quickly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Boy, Riku went from "misguided lovestruck teenager" to "irredeemable little poo poo" pretty quickly.

he's so jealous and jilted, it's adorable

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But he's got a gnarly batwingsword at least.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
On the one hand, I'm disappointed they half-assed Atlantica and didn't try to include swimming, but on the other hand, it's loving Atlantica and swimming sucked in KH1.

And I swear Vexen's VA voiced some random Dark Elfs in Skyrim.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
With this episode I realised something I should have over ten years ago. Every time Atlantica shows up in a Kingdom Hearts game, It's somehow worse than the last time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

I can't tell if this is possessed Riku who's remembering being sassy about finding Sora since they got separated or not possessed Riku who's just remembering being possessed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Looper posted:

The subtext is so strong it's become regular text.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I feel like every new member of the cool black cloak gang we see is gonna be smugger then the last.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Golden Goat posted:

I feel like every new member of the cool black cloak gang we see is gonna be smugger then the last.

You won't be saying that when we get to Xmug, the penultimate member.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MelvinBison posted:

And I swear Vexen's VA voiced some random Dark Elfs in Skyrim.

Vexen is voiced by Derek Stephen Prince, who's all over the place. He mostly does anime stuff, though.

Vexen does a GREAT science face

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

it's time to chillax and switch it up a little with minigames

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pooh went from "I want to die" when you meet him in KH1 to "I have no friends" in CoM. Progress!

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Finally, the best part of the game:

Also, I'm now remembering even more why I don't ever go back to this game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I love you guys and your group commentary, but after Naruto + Final Fight, and now between this and Gungrave holy cow do I hope you guys play some actually-good games soon. Man cannot survive on anime alone! :ohdear:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

I love you guys and your group commentary, but after Naruto + Final Fight, and now between this and Gungrave holy cow do I hope you guys play some actually-good games soon. Man cannot survive on anime alone! :ohdear:

all of us at the Golden Boys LP Group (i just made that name up, look forward to seeing it on the news soon!) think Final Fight was kickass and good. don't worry though, if all plans go right after this we'll be LPing a lil something IGN awarded the title of "game"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

all of us at the Golden Boys LP Group (i just made that name up, look forward to seeing it on the news soon!) think Final Fight was kickass and good. don't worry though, if all plans go right after this we'll be LPing a lil something IGN awarded the title of "game"

Oh sweet. Finally, the long awaited FutureFriend LP of Epic Battle Fantasy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You haven't found friends yet because you're still a FutureFriend. If you'd found friends, you'd be a PresentFriend.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The GBA Hundred Acre wood level was a lot more tedious, since Pooh had to follow you to the end of a long path and he keeps getting distracted and falling in holes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

why

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Final Fight "Streetwise" didn't look like a bad game, it just wasn't a Final Fight game.
I have too many questions to ask.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

I have too many questions to ask.

Would you really want to know any of the answers

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

woah jimmy

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly, the Hundred Acre Woods are unironically consistently my most favorite worlds in the Kingdom Hearts series, and I go back and forth on whether I'd like for them to return for KH3. I think for me personally the Hundred Acre Woods resonates really strongly with my own childhood, where if I remember correctly (I may not be mind you) my first story I was able to read on my own was a modern adaptation of a Winnie the Pooh story. I just really enjoy the innocent nature of the world throughout the games it has shown up in and how it's mostly all harmless fun minigames. Unfortunately I don't think the nature of the Hundred Acre Woods has much of a place in whatever new KH games Square makes now, but that's alright, I like them fine and the way the world ends in every game it shows up in is a good finish where if it didn't show up again it would be understandable and reasonable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Would you really want to know any of the answers
Not particularly, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I feel like you could submit this image to Child Services as proof of poor parenting

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread