Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I have the strange urge to read EVERYTHING about a nation I don't know much about in EU4 (like Madagascar, Indonesia, South Americans, Indian states, you name it) before I dare try playing them in-game. Is this a stupid habit to have?

No, Paradox games are basically edutainment.

Did you know that, on average, there was an anarcho-liberal uprising every 18 months in 19th-century Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grouchio posted:

Also are there any EU4 Lets Plays in that subsection of this forum?

Yeah, someone did a Burgundy one you can probably dig up.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Grouchio posted:

I have the strange urge to read EVERYTHING about a nation I don't know much about in EU4 (like Madagascar, Indonesia, South Americans, Indian states, you name it) before I dare try playing them in-game. Is this a stupid habit to have?

I do this too. In CK2 they even put a Wikipedia link button for historical characters in the game so I'm pretty sure we're cool and normal.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

I remember King arguing the "it's called EUROPA victoria 2" thing in one of these very SA threads about this, didn't he?

I don't think King has ever posted on SA. V2 expansions were mostly Podcat and me. The real problem with Taiping was that no one actually wanted to make the 1861 startpoint for AHD (because seriously no one plays them), but we were ordered to include it so it got squeezed in. Since there was no time to make it good, leaving it out seemed the better choice.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Grouchio posted:

There is an ongoing (though infrequently updated) multiplayer LP that is cool and good. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775307

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay I think I've got the hang of the ropes here. I might start a Let's Play picture thread soon.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Groogy posted:

I never played Ricky. Just had Johan tell me about the genius move of putting a button.... inside another button and I face palmed myself so hard I got a concussion.

It was brilliant.. i loved the ui system in v1, was great fun coding..

V1 was coded in like 8 months by me and doomdark, with 1 scripter and 1 artist..

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think King has ever posted on SA. V2 expansions were mostly Podcat and me. The real problem with Taiping was that no one actually wanted to make the 1861 startpoint for AHD (because seriously no one plays them), but we were ordered to include it so it got squeezed in. Since there was no time to make it good, leaving it out seemed the better choice.

Why are there multiple start dates in virtually every Paradox game if no one plays them? You guys collect those stats now, you gotta give us the deets :v:

I'll pull up some of the older SA P'dox threads at some point so I stop talking out of my rear end.

pdxjohan posted:

It was brilliant.. i loved the ui system in v1, was great fun coding..

V1 was coded in like 8 months by me and doomdark, with 1 scripter and 1 artist..

UI might have been unintuitive, but no UI has felt as immersive as the Ricky one to me in a Paradox game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Beamed posted:

Why are there multiple start dates in virtually every Paradox game if no one plays them? You guys collect those stats now, you gotta give us the deets :v:

I think they only really decided they don't need them at all around EU4 expansions. CK2 got couple of expanded start dates and as I understand it's less work as much of the game is randomized anyway. I think the date only has a political map, some predefined characters (and most of them get random attributes and traits) and technology/buildings calculated depending a region. In EU4 there are much more mechanics requiring updating timeline, like Native American special ideas, Nahuatl reforms, trade companies, estate lands, parliament seats, development, patriarch authority, buildings really having impact and allowing province specialization etc. Also don't know how institutions are handled. But basically starting on later dates makes game look wrong. IIRC Art of War expansion had updated 30 years war date but probably nobody cared so devs stopped caring too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As much as I want Vicky 3, that would mean paradox would be supporting 5 games at once.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

I assume someone thought they were a selling point for a while and it took until we had good stats on how used they were to change them.

I wouldn't say much of CK2 is randomised or that adding new starts is easy, there's like a billion characters in the database with relations, holdings, marriage dates etc. But! The notable difference is that CK2 had earlier startdates added, which do get played. Basically the earliest start dates is almost always the most played. In most of our games it's a massive majority but with CK2 there's a decent spread of Charlie/Old Gods/1066 starts - partly because not everyone has the DLCs for the earlier dates and partly as you get somewhat different games with those three. Dates later than 1066 might as well not exist, which is a shame given how much trouble it was to have the ability to start at any post 1066 date.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Grouchio posted:

Ofaloaf's Goth LP is currently in EU4 (having started in Total War: Attila and gone through CK2).

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I'm probably in the minority, but I pretty much exclusively start at later start dates. I rarely play more than 200 years, so it's nice reaching an end point where you can feel like you've played the feudal era to its completion, and that nations on the Western coast might be considering funding missions to India.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Darkrenown posted:

I assume someone thought they were a selling point for a while and it took until we had good stats on how used they were to change them.

To be fair, at least for me it was a "selling point". When I was first hearing about EU4, the prospect of being able to play at any date over like 400 years was a significant appeal to me. Turns out I'd only use it like once, but I didn't know that when I bought the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I was too drunk to play I would often run through EU4 or CK2's maps month by month playing guess the historical event that made the map change.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I tend to start CK2 games at about 1081.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

I tend to start CK2 games at about 1081.
Same. The Alexiad start is nearly the same as the 1066 start, except there's a greater chance that the Byzantines won't blob the gently caress up immediately. The Byzantines don't die or at least fade into obscurity in enough games, imo, so I go for anything I can that'll help make them weaker.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would play later dates but everything feels blobbed as gently caress there

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Beamed posted:

UI might have been unintuitive, but no UI has felt as immersive as the Ricky one to me in a Paradox game.

The Ricky soundtrack is basically just 19th-century classical songs in the public domain, but it still works. I still listen to some of them on YouTube from time to time.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I copied them from my install of Ricky to my install of Vic2.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ofaloaf posted:

Same. The Alexiad start is nearly the same as the 1066 start, except there's a greater chance that the Byzantines won't blob the gently caress up immediately. The Byzantines don't die or at least fade into obscurity in enough games, imo, so I go for anything I can that'll help make them weaker.

Too far.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phlegmish posted:

The Ricky soundtrack is basically just 19th-century classical songs in the public domain, but it still works. I still listen to some of them on YouTube from time to time.
Yeah, I really liked the effect of period pieces on setting the right historical atmosphere. Last time I installed Vicky 2 I transferred the Ricky soundtrack over first thing.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Phlegmish posted:

The best one is https://open.spotify.com/track/6VU7fG4Qts4aU9Giq2xs4t

I just love that song... so much vicky memories for me..

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

pdxjohan posted:

The best one is https://open.spotify.com/track/6VU7fG4Qts4aU9Giq2xs4t

I just love that song... so much vicky memories for me..

:2bong: Time to industrialise Silesia and repress Hungarian nationalism, baby :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ws0tATJLg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone still have copies of No Time Limit patches for Victoria Revolutions (2.01) and Crusader Kings Deus Vult?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I just found out that one of the EU4 Random New World scenarios is "Secret Denmark" :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What's it like?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What's it like?

An advanced Zoroastrian Danish Republic in the new world.

But it's also a super obscure reference to a goofy bug in the very first release of the EU4 to Vic2 converter that bungled on the country names and changed Greenland to "Secret Denmark" and Mexico to just "Mighty".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recently realized I had never played as France in EU4 and decided to rectify that. It was going swimmingly, but then I flew too close to the sun:

What they don't realize is The France Shall Rise Again

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I recently realized I had never played as France in EU4 and decided to rectify that. It was going swimmingly, but then I flew too close to the sun:

What they don't realize is The France Shall Rise Again

I've never finished a France or Ottomans game because I get way too confident and stop checking my AE and get swarmed and then give up

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

An advanced Zoroastrian Danish Republic in the new world.

But it's also a super obscure reference to a goofy bug in the very first release of the EU4 to Vic2 converter that bungled on the country names and changed Greenland to "Secret Denmark" and Mexico to just "Mighty".

It was actually the EU3 to Vic2 converter. :) And it was that the dynamic nations were used as 'free' tags, and they had special naming rules that allowed for such names. It also made Vic2 crash if anyone had the opportunity to release a dynamic nation and tried it, as the tags were all used.

We later figured out that we should put in more tags for our own use, and eventually made the whole thing spit out a mod instead of a save, as that just made life easier. But hey, we got an ascended meme out of the whole thing, so that was nice.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

That reminds me of the old CK->EU2 converter. Man, what a time to be alive.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, why is the file-limit on mods for Paradox games so small? I just wanna download CK+ and see if it's good again or have After the End auto-update.

Does Paradox have to pay extra for that or what?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Man, why is the file-limit on mods for Paradox games so small? I just wanna download CK+ and see if it's good again or have After the End auto-update.

Does Paradox have to pay extra for that or what?
:shrug: Even Euro Truck Simulator 2 has half-GB-large mods on the workshop.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

:shrug: Even Euro Truck Simulator 2 has half-GB-large mods on the workshop.
every time I write github in, your name comes up lol

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

idhrendur posted:

It was actually the EU3 to Vic2 converter. :) And it was that the dynamic nations were used as 'free' tags, and they had special naming rules that allowed for such names. It also made Vic2 crash if anyone had the opportunity to release a dynamic nation and tried it, as the tags were all used.

We later figured out that we should put in more tags for our own use, and eventually made the whole thing spit out a mod instead of a save, as that just made life easier. But hey, we got an ascended meme out of the whole thing, so that was nice.

Also think it was the EU3 to Vic2 converter that inspired me to have the CK2 converter spit out its own mod.

And on the Mod file size. When I implemented it the Steam Client when uploading the mod data would cut at around 50mb per file. It caused bunch of problems in CK2 Ironman on cloud saves since it is pretty much the same system in the background. Maybe that's changed now since Skyrim got their mods on the workshop or they found a way to work around that limitation. Either way this was implemented ages ago and probably nobody looked at it since.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Could you? I mean, I get that some y'all seem to want to keep all the mods on the Paradox forums as a form of copy protection but surely Steam suffices for that?

I am incredibly lazy Groogs, much like the common hedgehog. Surely you will see that our plight is the same

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Could you? I mean, I get that some y'all seem to want to keep all the mods on the Paradox forums as a form of copy protection but surely Steam suffices for that?

EU4 doesn't use steam for copy protection. You can launch the game without having Steam running, copy the game directory around, go hog wild. Steam is purely a distribution platform for Paradox games.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Groogy posted:

Also think it was the EU3 to Vic2 converter that inspired me to have the CK2 converter spit out its own mod.

That was about the time we realized that making a save had been the wrong choice, but it was so much work to change. I eventually switched that converter to make a mod for my campaign, but didn't really put the word out as everyone had moved to EU4 by then.

And I'm so glad you took over CK to EU conversions. Two is too many already, is never be able to do three.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Groogy posted:

And on the Mod file size. When I implemented it the Steam Client when uploading the mod data would cut at around 50mb per file. It caused bunch of problems in CK2 Ironman on cloud saves since it is pretty much the same system in the background. Maybe that's changed now since Skyrim got their mods on the workshop or they found a way to work around that limitation. Either way this was implemented ages ago and probably nobody looked at it since.

Actually it was me that told you to make it its own mod. Stop trying to erase the importance of my past ideas guy work. :mad: