Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Maybe it's slightly off-tangent to the thread, but while looking up items from Wiki: List of film accidents in newspaper archives I got a little distracted - the phrase "gruesome death" was very popular in the early 1900s! "extraordinary death" was more popular, but peaked a few decades earlier. (Most of the articles are very short, and not entirely unusual, but still pretty terrible ways to go.)

This story feels a little embellished:

quote:

Bregenz, Austria, July 13 (1952)--A lorry driver died instantly when he saw a headless body drive a motorcycle past him at the week-end. A sheet of metal had rolled off the lorry and had guillotined the overtaking motor cyclist. Then the motorcycle with the headless rider in the saddle continued on. It knocked down a woman and child, injuring them. The truck driver died from shock and his lorry crashed into a house, causing considerable damage.

Painful suicide:

quote:

MILWAUKEE, Thurs. (1952)--A woman removed her wedding ring, rigged the heating furnace in her home as a death trap, then crawled inside and cremated herself, police said today.

56yo dragged by his horse and buggy for two miles. (1932) 76yo apparently falls on ants nest, partly eaten. (1926) Ship's cook gets his head stuck in a picket fence. (1923) Traveller dies of thirst in the outback, found about a decade later. (1910) Choked on tobacco while drinking his morning absinthe. (1897) Woman gets locked out, tries to fit through a 9x7" window, suffocates. (1882) Man falls and stabs himself through the heart with a knife in his coat pocket. (1880) Man's head crushed by a three-ton log. (1862) Woman attacked by her pet cat and neighbour's after intervening in a fight between them. (1820)

I thought I had a bunch of more detailed stories, from research for the local museum's current exhibition about death, but I can't find my notes.

edit: Austria, not Australia

uvar has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

uvar posted:

This story feels a little embellished:
[headless motorcyclist]

Interesting -- this is one of the classic pre-internet urban legends covered in one of Jan Harold Brunvand's books, though I forget which one -- snopes has a claim of another time it happened irl and a little bit of info about the legend itself.

fake edit: it's probably the Brunvand book that Snopes cites as a source on that page, "Too Good To Be True"

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I once took a forensic anthropology class where my teacher showed us The Body Farm/had us identify actual remains and their gender/age/etc. She was a really funny woman and her class was really cool.

Apparently she and a whole bunch of other forensic anthropologists in the province were asked to help search the Pickton farm for human remains because of the sheer size of the location/operation. The only thing she said was they were looking at pieces of women's bones no bigger than a fingernail. She said she'll never forget the horror of being there until she dies. :smith:

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Chicken Doodle posted:

I once took a forensic anthropology class where my teacher showed us The Body Farm/had us identify actual remains and their gender/age/etc. She was a really funny woman and her class was really cool.

Forensic anthropology classes are the best. The professor in mine showed us x-rays of people and had us make guesses as to what they'd shoved up their asses that had killed them. The only one I remember was the hose of a vacuum.

She also had a few lectures about her experiences excavating mass graves in Bosnia that were brutal.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
My family in Tanzania owned a sow. I would always stick my hand in the pen to feed the sow and her piglets despite my dad (a former farmer) cursing me out every time I did so. That is until I dropped my dad's swiss army knife in the pen and saw what little was left of it. I do not understand why I still have hands or a full set of digits. After that I've heeded my dad's advice of "Do not gently caress with animals, no matter how small, cute or docile they seem". Also saw my dad almost get killed by the same escaped cow twice. Pretty bad rear end to see your dad full on wrestle with a Cow.

Also Siafu ants. gently caress Siafu ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_kDCIIFhI

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

uvar posted:

Maybe it's slightly off-tangent to the thread, but while looking up items from Wiki: List of film accidents in newspaper archives I got a little distracted - the phrase "gruesome death" was very popular in the early 1900s! "extraordinary death" was more popular, but peaked a few decades earlier. (Most of the articles are very short, and not entirely unusual, but still pretty terrible ways to go.)

London's Postmans Park and it's Memorial to Heroic Sacrifice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tablets_on_the_Memorial_to_Heroic_Self_Sacrifice) has a load of these slightly lurid descriptions of death:

quote:

Sarah Smith pantomime artiste
at Prince's Theatre
Died of terrible injuries received when attempting in her inflammable dress to extinguish the flames which had enveloped her companion

But on less unnerving and more drat interesting grounds, here's an old-fashioned spy story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38261956 posted:

It was a cold Saturday morning in April 1988 when a van full of detectives arrived outside the North London home of Erwin van Haarlem. The self-employed art dealer, 44, lived alone in sleepy Friern Barnet, a smattering of brick homes beside the grim North Circular ring road. The Dutchman's apartment building on Silver Birch Close had become the centre of an investigation led by the British intelligence agency MI5. It suspected that Van Haarlem - whom neighbours described as an "oddball" - was not in the art business at all, but a sinister foreign agent.

It features a lost orphan, a meddling mother, Nazis, a man without a name and alcoholism. It's ridiculous just how easy it was for a Soviet spy to penetrate and spy upon the west.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I did a couple minutes' Googling on whether a cat can directly kill a human and found this article that says "maybe one time a cat suffocated a baby for real" and that's about it.

You can get some pretty bad infections from cats though. I've had cat scratch disease (Bartonella) and it sucked.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Probably should've expected as much. Never really imagined donkeys as aggressive animals, but then I'm a lifelong city boy.

Coyotes are dangerous. Unlike wolves. Coyotes will trick your dog into thinking that they are friends and then kill them. Wolves will leave your dog alone unless they're tied up. Lone wolves are the only problem.

Remember, if you run into a wolf kill where there is still meat left, they're watching you. They're always watching you. You'll never see them. They're completely silent.

But they see you. At any time in the north woods, a wolf is watching. Always. You'll never see them. You can talk to them at night though; to know where the pack is. The pups always answer. If your call is good, the Alpha will answer. It takes practice.

As a joke, my math teacher, when tourists asked: "Are wolves dangerous?"; he would always say, "Save the last bullet for yourself." and walk away. But it is true that they are always watching you, and you'll never see them.

TLDR: Wolves are creepy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Would it be safe to say they are always watching you, and you'll never see them?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The secret to not becoming wolf food is to calmly tell them you're made of berries.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I did a couple minutes' Googling on whether a cat can directly kill a human and found this article that says "maybe one time a cat suffocated a baby for real" and that's about it.

You can get some pretty bad infections from cats though. I've had cat scratch disease (Bartonella) and it sucked.

They can make you fearless.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I think death by cat is probably possible if they get a good bite into a blood vessel in your throat and you can't get any kind of aid or attention for it. Particularly with a larger breed cat like a Maine Coon.

Vanishingly improbable, but theoretically it could happen.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

mostlygray posted:

Remember, if you run into a wolf kill where there is still meat left, they're watching you.
This is easy to remember if you have ever eaten anything in a house with a dog.

ETA:

outlier posted:

But on less unnerving and more drat interesting grounds, here's an old-fashioned spy story:

It features a lost orphan, a meddling mother, Nazis, a man without a name and alcoholism. It's ridiculous just how easy it was for a Soviet spy to penetrate and spy upon the west.
This guy seems to have been an enormous rear end in a top hat on top of being a spy. He hated his "mother" for spending a few weeks in the company of a Nazi soldier, who raped and impregnated her. That was enough for him to brand her a collaborator.

pookel has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jan 4, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
cats also poo poo hypnotic alveolates into your brain which make you depressed and schizophrenic and fill you with an irrepressible desire to jerk the wheel of your car into oncoming traffic, so

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

cats also poo poo hypnotic alveolates into your brain which make you depressed and schizophrenic and fill you with an irrepressible desire to jerk the wheel of your car into oncoming traffic, so

Is that what happened to that one woman who killed her nieces?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Congenital toxoplasmosis is one way cats can indirectly harm or kill children. It's interesting if you think in terms of the legends that developed of cats stealing baby breath - was there a cause-effect observation that led to this? Cats around = more likely sick baby/miscarriage = cats steal baby breath?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe cats just hate empty space in flower arrangements, but never had the means to purchaseyou know what never mind. This was too big of a stretch.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

if this is supposed to be a negative for cats, i'm not seeing it. that's metal as gently caress.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that what happened to that one woman who killed her nieces?

No, that lady was drunk. But don't let her husband know about toxoplasmosis or else he will want to waste money on more investigations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

no, thats capitalism

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

My family in Tanzania owned a sow. I would always stick my hand in the pen to feed the sow and her piglets despite my dad (a former farmer) cursing me out every time I did so. That is until I dropped my dad's swiss army knife in the pen and saw what little was left of it. I do not understand why I still have hands or a full set of digits. After that I've heeded my dad's advice of "Do not gently caress with animals, no matter how small, cute or docile they seem". Also saw my dad almost get killed by the same escaped cow twice. Pretty bad rear end to see your dad full on wrestle with a Cow.

Also Siafu ants. gently caress Siafu ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_kDCIIFhI
PYF unnerving article or story: I do not understand why I still have hands

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It's really awful. I know someone who found his 10 year old son in his room unconscious, having seizures and had a collapsed lung. After a week and a half in a medically induced coma to prevent damage from constant seizures, they diagnosed him with cat scratch fever and administered IV antibiotics, and he recovered after another couple of weeks of hospital care. It was heart wrenching to see the family go so long with their kid unconscious and waiting for doctors to figure out what was wrong with him as test after test came back negative.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

outlier posted:

London's Postmans Park and it's Memorial to Heroic Sacrifice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tablets_on_the_Memorial_to_Heroic_Self_Sacrifice) has a load of these slightly lurid descriptions of death:

Yep - this one's a pro-click -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38261956 -- there's even an implication that the mum was a spy, sent to spy on the spy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Archeologist collects old bones that he says are legally taken from Guatemalan historical sites. Some other people get suspicious and send in a forensic anthropologist.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/47794/title/Forensics-2-0/

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
Relating to the Gloria Ramirez "toxic lady" I had years ago read an explanation that seemed to make sense of even the crazy seeming stuff. Someone mentioned this appearing in textbooks but from what I see there's not a reason why it shouldn't as it gives more than one scenario for the chemical changes and is still the only explanation. There could still be a meth lab and coverups without changing anything in the explanation.

If correct: The stuff on her chest/body was one of the aformentioned home remedies in a DMSO mixture (the very common thing used for helping absorb chemicals through the skin, but also listed by the FDA as a fraud when relating to cancer treatment) She used too much or for too long, giving the initial symptoms. When they start Giving oxygen to her converts some to DMSO2. Applying an electric current to DMSO2 can cause it to grab 2 more Oxygen making DMSO4. DMSO4 being created would look like "fumes from the body" because it's a gas while before it was in a viscous form. It would smell of onion like the witnesses reported, DMSO2 crystallizes with temperature change and that was the specks in the drawn blood Most of all DMSO4 was used in WW1 as a weapon because it incapacitates and kills people.

Because of the discussion I thought maybe another possibility was figured out, but it doesn't seem so. What's the reason that this isn't exactly what happened? Again, I don't see any issue adding on the meth lab and covering their rear end part to this because they are 2 separate issues and one doesn't effect the other.

What are the chances of not 1 but 2 chemicals changes accidentally being triggered to end up with poison gas? Probably difficult to even do on purpose, 1 in billions chance, but this is 1 thing that happened 20+ years ago. The air disasters almost all seem like much more of an impossible set of events to ever happen, with sometimes 5 or 6 things all failing, yet they still happen.

Thoughts? I've always liked this story because of the seemingly unconnected weirdness all being connected to 1 thing. The more work they do they only make things worse and worse for her and then themselves but they have no idea. That sort of thing.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

mostlygray posted:

Coyotes are dangerous. Unlike wolves. Coyotes will trick your dog into thinking that they are friends and then kill them. Wolves will leave your dog alone unless they're tied up. Lone wolves are the only problem.

Remember, if you run into a wolf kill where there is still meat left, they're watching you. They're always watching you. You'll never see them. They're completely silent.

But they see you. At any time in the north woods, a wolf is watching. Always. You'll never see them. You can talk to them at night though; to know where the pack is. The pups always answer. If your call is good, the Alpha will answer. It takes practice.

As a joke, my math teacher, when tourists asked: "Are wolves dangerous?"; he would always say, "Save the last bullet for yourself." and walk away. But it is true that they are always watching you, and you'll never see them.

TLDR: Wolves are creepy.

We get it. You loves wolves.

Why were tourists asking your math teacher anything?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I can't even imagine. Just reading the transcript is going to haunt me for some time.

I literally woke up with that transcript in my head a few days ago and yeah that day sucked. I don't know why I read poo poo I know is going to be soul destroying

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

I literally woke up with that transcript in my head a few days ago and yeah that day sucked. I don't know why I read poo poo I know is going to be soul destroying
Yeah, that transcript is horrifying, and I say this as someone who read Treblinka half a dozen times as a teenager.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

drat, babies must have done something really horrible to German shepherds. I count six cases of German shepherds killing babies in their cribs/bassinets/playpens, and two cases of German shepherds jumping through windows to kill children, a two year old in one case and a seven week old in another.

I see cases where other breeds have killed babies in their cribs, but the German shepherds really jumped out at me, for some reason.

Filox has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Jan 6, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Filox posted:

I see cases where other breeds have killed babies in their cribs, but the German shepherds really jumped out at me, for some reason.

Maybe you're secretly a baby?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Filox posted:

drat, babies must have done something really horrible to German shepherds. I count six cases of German shepherds killing babies in their cribs/bassinets/playpens, and two cases of German shepherds jumping through windows to kill children, a two year old in one case and a seven week old in another.

and yet you never hear about all the babies who kill german shepherds. Liberal media at it's finest.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

and yet you never hear about all the babies who kill german shepherds. Liberal media at it's finest.

This is why babies keep that wide-eyed innocent look plastered on their faces all the time, isn't it? I should have suspected.

Content: gently caress sake.

quote:

September 24, 2012, Dog: Pit bull-mix, Victim: Rayden Bruce, 3 Months old. An hour before the attack, police responded to the home for a domestic dispute between the infant's parents that included injuries. While the police were taking witness statements, the boy was left alone in a room with the dog and was attacked. The dog had been responsible for a "minor bite" in 2011. It had also been picked up by Animal Services in 2010 for running loose.

Even the police don't expect the Spanish Inquisition pit bull attack.

Filox has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Jan 6, 2017

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Filox posted:

German Shepherds are great herding dogs because they are very authoritative. I like to think of them as the fun police of the dog breeds. They can get incredibly assertive even when they're well trained and well behaved simply because in general the breed has a compulsion to right all wrongs. Obviously what a dog sees as wrong isn't the same as what a person would think, and that can lead to bites and injury/death pretty easily.

They were bred to keep sheep in one specific location as opposed to some other herding breeds that are more intended to supervise or move a herd.

When I was a kid my aunt had a small water slide attached to her pool. Her german shepherd had 2 rules about this:
1. If someone was in the pool so was she. She absolutely hated getting wet though, so she had a raft she would sit on. If someone went in and she wasn't in the pool, she would bark and howl until she was on her raft.
2. If a child was on the slide, she would bark until an adult said, "I know, Velvet!"

She was absolutely the kind of dog who would drag a child away from something violently or otherwise do something that may be seen as an unprovoked attack. She never did, but I wouldn't have been shocked.

Plus there's always things to factor in like breed popularity and a person's reasons for picking a specific breed. (See: dobermans, rottweilers, and pit bulls)

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

moonsour posted:

German Shepherds are great herding dogs because they are very authoritative. I like to think of them as the fun police of the dog breeds. They can get incredibly assertive even when they're well trained and well behaved simply because in general the breed has a compulsion to right all wrongs. Obviously what a dog sees as wrong isn't the same as what a person would think, and that can lead to bites and injury/death pretty easily.

They were bred to keep sheep in one specific location as opposed to some other herding breeds that are more intended to supervise or move a herd.

When I was a kid my aunt had a small water slide attached to her pool. Her german shepherd had 2 rules about this:
1. If someone was in the pool so was she. She absolutely hated getting wet though, so she had a raft she would sit on. If someone went in and she wasn't in the pool, she would bark and howl until she was on her raft.
2. If a child was on the slide, she would bark until an adult said, "I know, Velvet!"

She was absolutely the kind of dog who would drag a child away from something violently or otherwise do something that may be seen as an unprovoked attack. She never did, but I wouldn't have been shocked.

Plus there's always things to factor in like breed popularity and a person's reasons for picking a specific breed. (See: dobermans, rottweilers, and pit bulls)

One thing I can't help wondering is what the gently caress were mom and dad thinking? In several of these cases, these were tiny babies, only a few days old, a new factor in the home and the parents just leave a large dog with access to the baby without having had time to ascertain that this dog can be trusted with the baby?

And also the jumping in through windows to attack. One of those shepherds was on a twenty foot chain and still managed to jump in through the window to attack a seven week old infant. That was a determined loving dog right there.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Filox posted:

One thing I can't help wondering is what the gently caress were mom and dad thinking? In several of these cases, these were tiny babies, only a few days old, a new factor in the home and the parents just leave a large dog with access to the baby without having had time to ascertain that this dog can be trusted with the baby?

And also the jumping in through windows to attack. One of those shepherds was on a twenty foot chain and still managed to jump in through the window to attack a seven week old infant. That was a determined loving dog right there.

According to the cited article, it was a "guard dog". That probably means the dog was treating the presence of the baby as an intruder, since usually when someone says guard dog the animal is chained outside for basically its whole life and not socialized well/at all.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infyrno posted:

Relating to the Gloria Ramirez "toxic lady" I had years ago read an explanation that seemed to make sense of even the crazy seeming stuff. Someone mentioned this appearing in textbooks but from what I see there's not a reason why it shouldn't as it gives more than one scenario for the chemical changes and is still the only explanation. There could still be a meth lab and coverups without changing anything in the explanation.

If correct: The stuff on her chest/body was one of the aformentioned home remedies in a DMSO mixture (the very common thing used for helping absorb chemicals through the skin, but also listed by the FDA as a fraud when relating to cancer treatment) She used too much or for too long, giving the initial symptoms. When they start Giving oxygen to her converts some to DMSO2. Applying an electric current to DMSO2 can cause it to grab 2 more Oxygen making DMSO4. DMSO4 being created would look like "fumes from the body" because it's a gas while before it was in a viscous form. It would smell of onion like the witnesses reported, DMSO2 crystallizes with temperature change and that was the specks in the drawn blood Most of all DMSO4 was used in WW1 as a weapon because it incapacitates and kills people.

Because of the discussion I thought maybe another possibility was figured out, but it doesn't seem so. What's the reason that this isn't exactly what happened? Again, I don't see any issue adding on the meth lab and covering their rear end part to this because they are 2 separate issues and one doesn't effect the other.

If I remember (and understand) the explanation correctly, it was worked out by scientists from Los Alamos and involved a huge amount of spitballing, e.g. "this chemical could have metabolized into this chemical in the bloodstream, maybe" with no real hope or way of reproducing it. It's a real best guess solution.

The hospital tried to fob it off as mass hysteria - which is a real thing (it's well reported in mass vaccinations) - but is a bit of a stretch for this case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Filox posted:

When you have a new baby your brain isn't working correctly, because you have functionally stopped sleeping. Combine that with the fact that they're used to having the dog around and don't think much about where it is, and I can understand it. I dunno what the cop was thinking, though.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Not an article, but there are pockets of people on FB and youtube recreating flight disasters using the Flight Simulator games. They match cockpit communications, plane movements, and other details they find from investigator reports to the exact T in the game. It's pretty painstaking stuff that probably took forever to make.

I'll find and post more if there is interest. Definitely unnerving but fascinating at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1277wt-7Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3QVw0A9Y0

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Filox posted:

Possibly a dog who wasn't being fed well enough. That would give him some determination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

German shepherds used to be the "bad guy" dog of choice. Followed by rottweilers, dobermans, and now pit bulls. Garbage people have garbage dogs. Breeding aside, it's not surprising that the dogs favored by people that want a "mean looking" dog turn out to hurt someone.