Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

JFairfax posted:

I got these Dunlop knock off Chuck Taylors from Sports Direct:

I basically only use them for weight lifting and they're great and much cheaper than Converse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Shoes/Dunlop-Mens-Canvas-High-Lace-Trainers-Sports/B00JFWGJGS?th=1

Are converse shoes really expensive in England? They are cheapo shoes over here, $20 a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Just get some cheap ones. Don't be like the other guy in this thread that has like $50 ones

I've tried cheap straps, hooks and my current 35 dollar pair of straps. I like my current ones the most by far. If finding regular wraps extremely uncomfortable makes me wimp I'm cool with that. I don't mind spending an extra 20 bucks to have better lifts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Straps for deadlifts?

You mean hands :smug:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yes, my meat straps are very weak and unsatisfactory. Would not recommend.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have five straps per hand.

sometimes i hold one strap up, for the haterz

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have developed a complex system of levers, pistons and rubber bands which allows me to lift the weight without the use of my hands at all!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dum Cumpster posted:

They're a lot more comfortable and don't break as quickly.

Yes, but what about straps?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bamhand posted:

Yes, my meat straps are very weak and unsatisfactory. Would not recommend.

Grip so weak you need a strap to take a piss?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Grip so weak you need a strap to take a piss?

Dick so big

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Cost twenty bucks, have lasted 4 years

They're not PL straps, so you can bail behind you with them.
Lots of PL/strongman people use them anyway. I have those straps, well the sew-easy $14 IronMind ones, and like them. Ironmind's straps are pretty great in the $14-$20 price range. I find them comfortable and well made.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury posted:

Are converse shoes really expensive in England? They are cheapo shoes over here, $20 a pair.

chuck taylors retail between $50 and $70 in the US

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/converse-classic-chuck-taylor-shoes/pirZoi3Zpps

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Was squatting today, got to the 5th rep at 248lbs, and started to get really light-headed. Re-racking at the top was really hard too. It's made me nervous as hell about trying to increase the weight next week.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What was hard about re-racking?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

What was hard about re-racking?

Felt really light-headed, and the coordination required to get it onto the hooks felt difficult to achieve. Maybe I just over-exerted, but it doesn't leave me hugely confident about next time.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Eat some burritos

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
My gym just got bought out and I'm afraid the new owners might transform it into a Planet Fitness type place :ohdear:

If they get rid of the old giant squat cage I'm going to be so pissed, its spacious and the hooks are designed like an L with a slight upward curve at the end as opposed to a J like the other two cages. I have to tip toe to rerack in those cages, so it makes me super nervous to attempt anything heavy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sometimes I've gotten lightly lightheaded as well doing deadlifts. Not like "gonna pass out" level lightheaded but still noticeable. I don't know why it happened those times because since then I've icnreased weight and so far I haven't passed out or died yet

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Felt really light-headed, and the coordination required to get it onto the hooks felt difficult to achieve. Maybe I just over-exerted, but it doesn't leave me hugely confident about next time.

set the rack lower

not so low you have to do a half squat to stand up with it, but not so high you need to stand on your tip toes to get it going.

i like to set up so i can really tense up and press into the bar, get used to it, unrack it and go.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Zzulu posted:

Sometimes I've gotten lightly lightheaded as well doing deadlifts. Not like "gonna pass out" level lightheaded but still noticeable. I don't know why it happened those times because since then I've icnreased weight and so far I haven't passed out or died yet

The blood rushing to your core plus not breathing adequately while lifting (most people don't) results in decreased blood flow, thus decreased oxygen, to the brain.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pesmerga posted:

eat more salami to increase your blood pressure

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Until your nose bleeds you've never even lifted as far as I'm concerned.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wow holy poo poo. I just buy them at TJMaxx for $20.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Yeah Chuck Taylors are now trendy so they got all expensive. You used to be able to get a pair for $30 anywhere.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

set the rack lower

not so low you have to do a half squat to stand up with it, but not so high you need to stand on your tip toes to get it going.

i like to set up so i can really tense up and press into the bar, get used to it, unrack it and go.

Yeah, reracking shouldn't require any sort of coordination. You should be able to collapse forward onto the thing.

Lower is better than higher.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
TSA spilled my salsa

:smith:

There go my burrito gains.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

If you want straps for deadlift make sure you try chalk first. It makes a tremendous difference.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
so i went to deadlift and partway into my sets some guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm done soon since there's only one long barbell there and I tell him I'm done in 10 minutes. So he walks away and I rush to finish my sets, because I Am Considerate

Then I clean up the station and leave and the guy NEVER GOES TO USE THE STATION :mad:

I aint never gonna be considerate again

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wooo

https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/816665422611283968

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Is that 3 plates and some?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

im gonna take hella roids when im older no question

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tolkien minority posted:

im gonna take hella roids when im older no question

Same. I figure if you make it past sixty, gently caress it. Get big and die of a massive heart attack at 67.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fallows posted:

Is that 3 plates and some?

A claimed 400 lbs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

A claimed 400 lbs.

It's not.

35, 45, 45, 25.

I'm guessing 345 at most.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
which is still pretty good for an ancient mummy man

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lifting after days of diarrhea and stomach issues is the worst. Almost failed a rep of my last warm up set on deadlift :(

also had some liquid shits between sets the other day :( :(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Went to the gym this morning for the first time in 2017.... I noticed they had replaced the adjustable incline bench (not press, just the loose bench w/wheels for moving it around) and the declined sit-up bench. I liked the old sit-up bench, it was narrow and ratty and the adjustment pin was broken so it was stuck on "max angle" but it was padded properly and no one ever used it except me so I was always able to do millions of sit-ups whenever I wanted.

But this new sit-up bench... it's like extra-wide, for fat asses, or something. So now when I do declined sit-ups to failure, and I do 60 seconds of recovery before the next set, I can't just straddle the bench AC Slater-style like I always do, because the loving thing is so wide. For fat asses.

Christ, man.

BTW I can't do sit-ups on the floor because of a compressed disk in my lower back and when I do those it aggravates my sciatic nerves and then I can't walk for 3 days. Discovering I could still do decline sit-ups was a life saver.

Core, yo.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

diarrhea update: I had a regular poo poo today and thoufht I was back on track. so while i was at 711 I bought a big gulp of low cal slurpee to capitalize on my good mood and started some military press in the garage.

within like 30 min it was like i had dropped an acid bomb in my guts, as i was wracked with gas and pain. i finished my last set and unleashed a torrent of unholy slurry into my toilet for like 15 min straight. its been reoccuring since then, but has transitioned from foam to liquid.

Never again.

Looking forward to my squats loving sucking tomorrow

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

diarrhea update: I had a regular poo poo today and thoufht I was back on track. so while i was at 711 I bought a big gulp of low cal slurpee to capitalize on my good mood and started some military press in the garage.

within like 30 min it was like i had dropped an acid bomb in my guts, as i was wracked with gas and pain. i finished my last set and unleashed a torrent of unholy slurry into my toilet for like 15 min straight. its been reoccuring since then, but has transitioned from foam to liquid.

Never again.

Looking forward to my squats loving sucking tomorrow

what could of possibly made you think a preworkout slurpee was a good idea lol

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tolkien minority posted:

what could of possibly made you think a preworkout slurpee was a good idea lol

it felt right in the moment. low cal baby

i feel there is something about the artificial sugars or whatever that reacted violently with my already diarrhea ravaged guts. Dont sugar alcohols in some sugar free foods mess people up?

Diarrhea is good for cutting though. I have been looking more lean with each passing day :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

it felt right in the moment. low cal baby

i feel there is something about the artificial sugars or whatever that reacted violently with my already diarrhea ravaged guts. Dont sugar alcohols in some sugar free foods mess people up?

Diarrhea is good for cutting though. I have been looking more lean with each passing day :smuggo:

yeah sugar alcohols (besides erythritol) wreak havoc on your digestive system in anything above small amounts, sorbitol is the devils sweetener