Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Davethulhu posted:

You have to leave QGJ before I can invite you. It's late now, I can try again in the morning. Or another officer can get you.

Done. Invite away, guys! My code is 599-982-819

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

MichiganCubbie posted:

Done. Invite away, guys! My code is 599-982-819

ok sent you a guild invite

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Question on raid mechanics.

Lets say 2 people start a P1 fight with the boss at 5% health. They both are able to do 5% damage and move on to the next phase. Is 5% wasted? How is the overlap accounted for?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Boozie posted:

Question on raid mechanics.

Lets say 2 people start a P1 fight with the boss at 5% health. They both are able to do 5% damage and move on to the next phase. Is 5% wasted? How is the overlap accounted for?

they both get credit, excess damage is not applied to later phases. even better, for p1 of rancor, the top scores are by people who can solo the whole phase, and it's possible to have multiple people get credit for that.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Galactic War is supposed to be all easy fights with no real issues -- and then a brutal annihilation by maxed overleveled things on the last node, right? It's sure that way for me this week. I'm just 65, but all the nodes are 47-55 dudes until the 69+ fully geared arena guy at the last node instamelts my best guys.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dely Apple posted:

Galactic War is supposed to be all easy fights with no real issues -- and then a brutal annihilation by maxed overleveled things on the last node, right? It's sure that way for me this week. I'm just 65, but all the nodes are 47-55 dudes until the 69+ fully geared arena guy at the last node instamelts my best guys.

The 6th, 9th, 11th, and 12th nodes are all supposed to be hard, each harder than the last.

Running into a node 12 you just cannot beat isn't altogether rare. The difficulty is based off of your highest power arena victory so balancing a deep roster for GW and a powerful roster for Arena is delicate game while getting to max level.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

Chilichimp posted:

The 6th, 9th, 11th, and 12th nodes are all supposed to be hard, each harder than the last.

Running into a node 12 you just cannot beat isn't altogether rare. The difficulty is based off of your highest power arena victory so balancing a deep roster for GW and a powerful roster for Arena is delicate game while getting to max level.

Yeah, it's a poorly designed, poorly balanced part of a poorly designed, poorly balanced game. Once you get to 85 and have a decent roster it's easy, I generally beat it in about 20 minutes or less and at most lose my snowtrooper like 99% of the time. I run EP, TFP, Vader, RG, and Snowtrooper. It's pretty awesome.

That other 1% of the time (pretty much 1 in 100 GWs), my empire team dies while taking out 4 of them, and then I just bring out Wiggs.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Is there still a spot in IGD?
If not I'll take the QGJ spot.

Ally code is 147-576-798 I need raid coins! Help my goony-wan!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Ashye posted:

Is there still a spot in IGD?
If not I'll take the QGJ spot.

Ally code is 147-576-798 I need raid coins! Help my goony-wan!

sent you an invite

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
QGJ currently has 1 open slot + 2 inactives if there's anyone else looking for a spot in a goon group. Also, it was mentioned in chat but we are back to blitzing T6 Rancor raid and think we need to test out a T7 again.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Davethulhu posted:

sent you an invite

Got it, thanks!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

General Probe posted:

Also, it was mentioned in chat but we are back to blitzing T6 Rancor raid and think we need to test out a T7 again.

Yes please.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I came back to this game because I had free time over Christmas and am super happy to see that my 7* Luke is apparently a total waste of time. And that I made a bunch of dumb decisions elsewhere and everything's changed and stuff.

Somehow this makes me want to spend money on the game to get not poo poo stuff so apparently my brain is well and truly broken.

Anyway I'm level 69 and my ally code is 168-899-873 so hi goons.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

overdesigned posted:

I came back to this game because I had free time over Christmas and am super happy to see that my 7* Luke is apparently a total waste of time. And that I made a bunch of dumb decisions elsewhere and everything's changed and stuff.

Somehow this makes me want to spend money on the game to get not poo poo stuff so apparently my brain is well and truly broken.

if you spend any money, spend it on crystals for energy or drop 100 bucks on a pack... nothing in between.

shard gambling is a trap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chilichimp posted:

Welp, that explains a whole fuckin' lot :mad:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I give up keeping up with the Joneses in arena

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Btw gently caress anyone who is spending money on an alt account, jfc

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I don't even know how I would have beaten the kind of 12th team I keep getting matched into. I also wish meaningful levels of training droids were more plentiful, but I assume that's another impatience buy in the shop. :ea:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Here's a strategy that can help with galactic war. The important things to remember are: 1) turn meter carries over between nodes, and 2) you can quit a fight and restart it, your rng remains the same, but you can do things in different orders.

1. Fight node 1 with your best team.
2. Fight nodes 2-??? with your second best team, until it dies, ideally while mostly crippling the team it was fighting
3. Use your best team to finish.

There are other variations, but this should give you a basic framework.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Maul worth farming from Guild and Ship shops?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

overdesigned posted:

Honestly, I would recommend restarting...with the knowledge you have now and the OP, you should be able to keep top 20 without spending money and level fairly quickly.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

I don't even know how I would have beaten the kind of 12th team I keep getting matched into. I also wish meaningful levels of training droids were more plentiful, but I assume that's another impatience buy in the shop. :ea:

things to help with GW:

Retreating is a restart - it resets GW to before you started the battle, so you can retry it if some of what happened to you is luck based (crits, for example, or %chance stuns). It can help you keep people alive.
If you use a tank, don't use them until the last shard. That extra protection is probably necessary.
Pay attention to what you're fighting - Akbar and Rex make most Vader/Boba/Emperor teams a joke by cleansing the debuffs.
If the team has frontloaded damage on CD's, send in a poo poo team to eat those cd's and die, then send in your damage dealers.
Characters keep their built up speed along with any damage they've taken, so someone ready to go is going to still be ready to go. Likewise whoever goes last will start the next fight with an empty time bar.

Seriously, beating GW is pretty much always possible, you just have to realize that most of your roster exists to soak, and don't be afraid to retreat if things just go bad from the beginning, and try not to have anyone you need to go first to set up a combo end a round. It helps if you have filler with buff/heal/debuff actions that will allow you to burn extra turns so you can get something off of CD for the next battle as well.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

If you use a tank, don't use them until the last shard. That extra protection is probably necessary.

If you run a tank, run it in the first or second round and then save it for later. Don't use their taunt so you'll have a fast taunt later.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I have been spending way too much time on this piece of poo poo game since August so might as well join a goon guild if there's room in either. I've Lumi, STH and Leia at 7*, Lando and QGJ at 6* (almost 7) and Wedge, AA, EP etc at 5* but the gear grind is so loving frustrating and slow.

Ally code is 548-579-127 for invites or allies, thanks!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Droid Squad talk:

HK(L), IG88, IG86, ?, Jawa Engineer. I don't have B2, nor do I intend to farm him anytime soon (Working on TFP, then finishing JKA, then farming mods). Who should I use in his place? I do ave K-2S0 unlocked and at 7*, just not leveled. Would he be a useful replacement?

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My levelling guild The Rocinante is slowly getting off the ground since I started it less than a week ago. Got 10 members so far with 2 more pending invites so if anyone is interested in joining up here's my ally code: 561-766-648 - add me and if I see a guildless ally I always invite them. I've sent invite requests to the recent posts in this thread also. Totally understandable if you want one of the more established guilds here though, just reject the invite. I intend for everyone to be able to take part in raids so the tier we start on will probably be 3 or 4, and where I can I max out my gear donations to the lowbies even if it's stuff I need for one of my levelling characters, to help get them caught up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

If you run a tank, run it in the first or second round and then save it for later. Don't use their taunt so you'll have a fast taunt later.

It's this.

I always run Phasma/STH on node 1 and try to end with them at or near full turn meter.

This way I can bust them out on node 11/12 and get in some really devastating turns with Wiggs.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

This way I can bust them out on node 11/12 and get in some really devastating turns with Wiggs.

That's really clever and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it. Going to do that from now on!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iGestalt posted:

That's really clever and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it. Going to do that from now on!

do the same with Daka/RG in the first 5 nodes and you can also have some on-demand stuns in case node 9 is some loving wiggs DPS nightmare.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Or run Malīs (and mine) team and never lose :smuggo:

Although, recently, Iīve started running a Vader(L), TFP, Snowtrooper, Palp and Veers team which trades in some TM gains for packing a much bigger punch - the 30% offense from Vader lead is no joke !

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 4, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Although, recently, Iīve started running a Vader(L), TFP, Snowtrooper, Palp and Veers team which trades in some TM gains for packing a much bigger punch - the 30% offense from Vader lead is no joke !

OOOOOOOOOOOH, I'M TRYIN'!

Frills, tho, I'm like 5 cantina toons away from even considering a snowtrooper grind.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Davethulhu posted:

2) you can quit a fight and restart it, your rng remains the same, but you can do things in different orders.

This made a huge difference for me. You can even lose critical characters, back out and they reset. I've had some 12th nodes where I had to attack them from 3-4 different angles before I solved the puzzle, but since I figured this out I haven't failed to finish GW in weeks.

They always seem to throw one out-of-depth team in about halfway through and the back out/retry method works great for that node too.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

iGestalt posted:

Droid Squad talk:

HK(L), IG88, IG86, ?, Jawa Engineer. I don't have B2, nor do I intend to farm him anytime soon (Working on TFP, then finishing JKA, then farming mods). Who should I use in his place? I do ave K-2S0 unlocked and at 7*, just not leveled. Would he be a useful replacement?

Use K-2SO so I can be annoyed at that team and hate you. Alternatively, level up Chief Nebit for a P2 tank raid team.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

This made a huge difference for me. You can even lose critical characters, back out and they reset. I've had some 12th nodes where I had to attack them from 3-4 different angles before I solved the puzzle, but since I figured this out I haven't failed to finish GW in weeks.

They always seem to throw one out-of-depth team in about halfway through and the back out/retry method works great for that node too.

This also works with setting up your initial call-assist.

If your first move out of the gate is to call assist with Biggs, and he brings along Wedge and Akbar, but you really want it to be Wedge and Daka or Wedge and Rey:

Quit out, restart and this time switch Akbar with the toon (that was already on the squad*) you'd prefer get the assist. If you need to blitz damage or get a free stun on someone, this will work wonders.

*because they already have to be in the squad, this won't work if they call the leader.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Just wait until you get Vader's zeta...poo poo gets crazy. I can't wait (getting close to 8 5* ships).

Also, last night, I ran EP, Vader, Snow, TFP, and QGJ, and it worked really well. I had RG ready to bring in for stuns, but didn't need him and didn't lose anyone.

Chilichimp posted:

OOOOOOOOOOOH, I'M TRYIN'!

Frills, tho, I'm like 5 cantina toons away from even considering a snowtrooper grind.

Meh, snowtrooper is the least important part of that team. The extra TM is nice, but you could run 3 of those dudes plus Wiggs and it would be fine.

Alternatively, running Wiggs (L), Lando, +2 is a great way to clear GW. I usually ran stunners like RG, Daka, or EP, but whatever works for you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Just wait until you get Vader's zeta...poo poo gets crazy. I can't wait (getting close to 8 5* ships).

Also, last night, I ran EP, Vader, Snow, TFP, and QGJ, and it worked really well. I had RG ready to bring in for stuns, but didn't need him and didn't lose anyone.

Meh, snowtrooper is the least important part of that team. The extra TM is nice, but you could run 3 of those dudes plus Wiggs and it would be fine.

Alternatively, running Wiggs (L), Lando, +2 is a great way to clear GW. I usually ran stunners like RG, Daka, or EP, but whatever works for you.

I'm building my EP is GX, TFP is GIX, RG is GXI, Darth Vader is GVIII and underlevelled. I'm working on him... but I'm also working on Shoretrooper, Lando, TFP, Boba Fett.

gently caress this game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Does anyone know if or when there will be another double cantina rewards day?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Cactus posted:

These are very rare and we generally find out the day of.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

iGestalt posted:

Droid Squad talk:

Depends what you want them for, Arena or Raid. For Raid obviously you want Nebit, for Arena K2 can shut down Wiggs (no B2 hurts against a lot of Arena comps though), slap some protection mods on him and a little potency so his Daze sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

They happen like... 1/2 times per year and there is no pre-warning.

oops wrong forum posted:

Depends what you want them for, Arena or Raid. For Raid obviously you want Nebit, for Arena K2 can shut down Wiggs (no B2 hurts against a lot of Arena comps though), slap some protection mods on him and a little potency so his Daze sticks.

Oh drat, we talking about that free 7 star droid ya'll got? Nice. Lemme roll up my K2 and... gently caress.