Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inadequate Areolas posted:

Is there a good path for beginners? I picked up the game for $10 and pugged 2 quick instances on easymode... and we all made it to the end with no issues, but I don't want to end up as the doofus rear end in a top hat who doesn't know what they're doing or isn't contributing. I also got the game for my 13 y/o and didn't know if there was a setting for just 2 players so we can figure things out before Mommy starts yelling at her kid to keep up and not get dragged off by rats.

When starting a game, click the 'private' square to set it up so only you two can play. The bots will fill any remaining spots. They are generally competent enough to be helpful. Beyond that, definitely get away from Easy as soon as you can; Normal is really very manageable, and once you've found your feet Hard is not much more difficult. The big difficulty jump is from Hard to Nightmare, honestly, but Hard will get you much better loot and keep you from developing any habits that will hold you back later (such as ignoring hits to kill a rat).

As far as tutorial material, you might check the videos Lune and I have been putting up here. We're continuing to add some stuff to them on combat basics and stuff soon. We have a basic combat and teamwork video coming really soon which will cover some of the beginner stuff you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Do you only get ONE item per successful mission? Because I've ran a bunch with goons (sorry about being useless guys) and I've since completed all missions on the first city and haven't seen a single melee weapon for Sienna yet, and I think I have a grand total of 2 blues.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yep, one item per victory. it blows.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Digirat posted:

Set the game to private to keep randoms from joining.

Coolguye posted:

When starting a game, click the 'private' square to set it up so only you two can play. The bots will fill any remaining spots.
Oh cool. I only had like 30 mins to actually mess with it so I didn't even know there were bots to fill in the blanks. Time to yell at my son.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I met this Dwarf at level 19 who joined my game in Wizard's Tower, and I was wary at first but I saw the guy playing like he'd played for hundreds of hours. But he didn't. I checked his profile after I asked if he was part of a secret society of veteran players who modded their levels back to very low levels to make people think even low levels can be good. He was one of the fiercest loving dwarfs I've ever seen with his blue Hammer & Shield, he took the 2nd least amount of damage in the game and was 2nd in most kills.

Always trust a dwarf player! I've legit gotten yelled at for being in nightmare at lv17 but honestly the game isn't that hard to grasp. I'm lv28 now with all orange weapons because i started off running nightmare with a coworker and his decked out bots.

I can do hard runs with just my bots now but the key is getting them the right equipment--bloodlust shield for dwarf/soldier, and bloodlust glaive for the elf.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do you only get ONE item per successful mission? Because I've ran a bunch with goons (sorry about being useless guys) and I've since completed all missions on the first city and haven't seen a single melee weapon for Sienna yet, and I think I have a grand total of 2 blues.
If you want loot for a particular class you can equip that class's trinket (so in this case, Sienna's Hearthwind). That'll increase the odds of getting Bright Wizard loot on the table at the end of a map. You can also use the shrine to pray to Sigmar for a particular weapon type for a particular character (ie Sienna melee, Kerillian ranged, Bardin melee etc) but you need the ore you get from melting down other weapons to make it work. And now that you've completed all the missions you also have access to the bounty board, which will get you some useful oranges fairly quick.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They really need to do something to make it harder to just shoot your way through Nightmare. I get on so many teams that can't fight a single Stormvermin because most of the time they'll never have to. It's the second hardest difficulty in the game and people are clearing it without knowing you can dodge.

It's not that I mind so much that it's too easy as that it really sucks to play Nightmare and spend most of it dodging gunfire (and not dodging gunfire) knowing that the second poo poo hits the fan, you're the only one that's not gonna get downed.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 3, 2017

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I jumped into a Nightmare Supply & Demand run when I was level 19 and lucked out enough to roll the red Drakefire pistols. I understand that they don't have an ideal trait loadout, but it was pretty spiffy. And they have hail of doom on them which makes them super fun to go nuts with.

I still struggle pretty hard on Nightmare, and am usually the worst person on my team at that level. I suck at soloing stormvermin unless I have a shield to stagger them with, and I tend to freak out when I get surrounded and take too much damage extricating myself. Also I find it hard to quickly find specials, particularly globadiers before they can throw a fart at my face. Once you get that the main part of the game is avoiding rather than causing damage, though, it becomes much clearer how you're supposed to approach fights. You also have to start thinking about firing lines - not just for yourself, but so that you don't just hop in front of a teammate who is clearing out a special or thinning out a pack.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's true red Drakefires aren't ideal but they're one of a handful of reds that are close enough. Eventually you'll get better orange ones but I ran with my reds for a long drat time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Saltzpyre has a line where he says if they capture a Skaven alive, he will handle the interrogation and it's not up for debate.

There is a room in the basement of the Red Moon Inn, a door down there.

Future torture room and GTA V Torture minigame on Skaven confirmed.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I mean there's more lines about how they actually have captured Skaven and none of them were smart or high ranking enough to tell him anything too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They couldn't tell him enough according to him anyway. He wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than the absolute master plan down to the tiniest details.

Also he caught a stormvermin, and that's pretty bananas.

Edit:

Coolguye posted:

at least start linking these conversations if you're going to reference them

Sure, here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEpMN1bJNnM&t=26s

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 4, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

at least start linking these conversations if you're going to reference them

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Capturing a skaven seems pretty easy, just cut their hands and tails off.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Does the Volley Crossbow actually drop from Castle Drachenfels? I got the impression all the dlc missions have the same loot tables but I've run it in hard mode what feels like over 10 times with the Salzpyre accessory on without even seeing it as an available drop. I reallllly don't want to chain run those other two.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Really even Stormvermin probably don't have much to tell you despite their higher faculties, slave and clanrats literally nothing.

If you're not a grey seer or a likewise important/big (rat)man in a clan, you're a hand to hold a dumpy little knife.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stormvermin just want to Kick! Ya! Kick! Ya! Kick! Ya! over and over.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I see that the Orange Move Speed trinket & Sturdy Emblem of Shallya are on the board today. The latter isn't even worth making a joke about, it prevents interruption when healing with a medkit, but to newbies don't get fooled by the Move Speed trinket.

Base player move speed is set at '4.00', or just 4. The move speed trinkets from green to orange are 2%, 4%, 6% increases as listed. This is a lie. The actual increase is 1.02%, 1.04%, and 1.06%, which equates to a very grand total of...

4.0408, 4.0416, and 4.0424 respectively. Modding my regular move speed up to 4.0424 proved this calculation. If the bonuses as listed were correct, you could have up to 4.24 movement speed, which would be noticeable, nice, but not anywhere near unbalancing. It would mean that Kruber & Bardin, the slowest characters, can start blocking everywhere and being much more cautious, opening up newer, convenient play styles.

This is an incredibly unnoticeable and worthless boon. In recorded crossings, the difference from Point A to Point B is a fraction of a second. Movement speed is only for your running speed too, this will not affect any other form of locomotion, however it will increase, again the difference in a fraction of a second, your move speed when blocking and attacking. Most if not all weapons slow you when you swing them and the heavier stuff slows you when you block of course. The difference in those attacks is again unnoticeable and nowhere near game changing, not useful in regular maps, and the purpose is non-existent in Last Stand where you camp the scaffold or bridges more often than not. You will want people kiting ogres, sure, but using the environment properly, being aware of surrounding rats and having a team that makes that awful mode bearable outclass the horrendous waste of a slot this thing is. It's so much more advantageous to make rats and ogres climb stuff or to move up to them and make them slam the ground ineffectually but the situation is always varied.

If you want to move around quickly in the heat of it, you use sidesteps and dodges. But you didn't hear that from me because according to pubbies these days using dodge to move around is dirty, cheating exploiting :yum:

See my notes for the upcoming trinket video as well:

And see this spreadsheet for movement speed reductions on your favorite weapon. I think back when the game came out this was actually a more usable and desirable trinket but they nerfed it to what it is now. There are two things Fatshark will hate eternally: people who finish the game quickly and/or speed run, and granting good rewards.

In summation: Do Not Spend Your Bounty Board Keys On These Trinkets.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 4, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really wish you could save up keys for the board because I'm about to finish my 10-key yellow bag of herbs (or whatever the globadier-reduction trinket is called) and now I'm gonna end up wasting a whole bunch of keys before something else good appears I just know it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, you can save 3 of them

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Just got the game thanks to the video series Coolguy and Lunethex are making. Here's my steam id for anyone who wants to friend me: https://steamcommunity.com/id/toaster_dust

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lunethex posted:

Thank you for this, it's nice to actually have a better idea of what things do before I sink bounty keys into them

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha yeah seeing as i mistakenly already spent a key on the orange conflag staff i'll save 3 keys then either spend them on the staff or drop it for something better.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Do expansion weapons ever come up as key quests? I don't feel like grinding the Karaz quests, especially since it feels like my Witch Hunter trinket makes the dice allergic to Witch Hunter stuff.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Am I missing something with the grudge raker, or do i actually have to be in a slave rat's face to hit with it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really wish there was a difficulty above Nightmare but below Cataclysm. Nightmare feels like where the game is meant to be played but they seriously throw entirely too much ammo and health at you. I'm probably gonna have to suck it up and just play Cata forever or something because I get through Nightmare and frequently just feel like "what's even the point?" If I can get through Nightmare with flying colors and Joe Rando who doesn't know you can dodge and has his sound turned off can limp across the finish line, too, why am I here?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So i got a 50% luck trinket yet the first run i did after i got it was a loving hellscape of specials and no ammo--am i correct in thinking this is a cursed trinket?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure all it affects is your chances of finding loot dice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm pretty sure all it affects is your chances of finding loot dice.

yes

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Arghy posted:

So i got a 50% luck trinket yet the first run i did after i got it was a loving hellscape of specials and no ammo--am i correct in thinking this is a cursed trinket?

The Luck trinket only affects the chance of finding loot dice in chest. There is a base 5% chance when you open a chest to get a Bonus Loot Dice. I think it goes up every time you don't get one. The trinkets increase the chance by 25%, 50%, and 100% from green to blue to orange, which is 6.25%, 7.50%, and 10% in total. It does not make the Ogre appear less, it does not make the Sack Rat appear more (and if he does and drops 2 dice it invalidates your trinket anyway), it does not make more items appear in a level, and it does not make holdouts easier by making them shorter. Once you find the 2 Loot Dice you are allowed in any run, the trinket becomes a permanent waste of a slot for the remaining duration, and the kicker is the trinket only applies its bonuses for the person who opens the chest, meaning if you have people who won't listen or work with you, you might as well just quit out if you care about getting 3-sided dice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

where's the best spot to hold out at the end of rune? The only place I've seen that has gone well is inside the vault, but people say that spot is bad for some reason?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Digirat posted:

where's the best spot to hold out at the end of rune? The only place I've seen that has gone well is inside the vault, but people say that spot is bad for some reason?

The vault's done fine by me really. I'm just a NM person so dunno about on Cata, but as long as you've got someone popping globadiers and ratlings and you've got people killing the stormvermin in good time then it's smooth sailing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

Under the Scaffold directly across of it, to the left of the ramp that drops down. When you come down on the elevator and face the vault, it's the one to the right of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/NaQaHfd.gifv

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

But not Saltzpyre's skirt?

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Is it possible to have both Bloodlust and Backstabbery on Bardin's 2h Axe? I tried to look it up in one of those all possible trait combinations documents but it didn't seem to have backstabbery listed in it so I guess it was outdated/I was too dumb to read it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cinroth posted:

Is it possible to have both Bloodlust and Backstabbery on Bardin's 2h Axe? I tried to look it up in one of those all possible trait combinations documents but it didn't seem to have backstabbery listed in it so I guess it was outdated/I was too dumb to read it.

Verminguide says yes it's possible.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Mzbundifund posted:

Verminguide says yes it's possible.

Thanks for the info and link!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I have those two and I think dev blow on my great axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lunethex posted:

I see that the Orange Move Speed trinket & Sturdy Emblem of Shallya are on the board today. The latter isn't even worth making a joke about, it prevents interruption when healing with a medkit, but to newbies don't get fooled by the Move Speed trinket.

Base player move speed is set at '4.00', or just 4. The move speed trinkets from green to orange are 2%, 4%, 6% increases as listed. This is a lie. The actual increase is 1.02%, 1.04%, and 1.06%, which equates to a very grand total of...

too late im already 6 keys in

• Locked thread