Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

daslog posted:

Larry's Auto Machine is where all the Subaru racing guys send their stuff. They have a nice Web site with prices and you can ship stuff there and they will ship it back.

I've also used Kinglsey Automotive in Nashua NH for several rebuilds.

Thanks, have had a few others recommend them as well. I may look into Kingsley as they are far closer to me.

Re: crosstrek transmission chat: a friend of mine bought one last year. He was the type who had to have a stick. But he said that the torque curve of that engine just felt absolutely gutless with a five speed, but it felt a ton better with the CVT so he went with that reluctantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I used Kingsley because my son told me that's where the dealer sends all their stuff. The Subaru techs also send their personal stuff to him so that was good enough for me. They also do a lot of racing stuff. Personally, I feel comfortable using either shop for head work. If I was building a 500 HP Subaru block, I'd send it to Larry's.

Lenny (the owner) also does a lot of work for drag racers, so while you are there check some of the motors he's working on.

https://www.facebook.com/Kingsley-Automotive-Machine-160738877279749/

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Test-drove a manual Crosstrek yesterday. Ugh, what a loving dog. As comfortable and familiar as the vehicle feels otherwise coming from an '06 wagon, I ... just ... can't. It's just ridiculously underpowered. I managed to find a local manual Forester to drive and it was less underwhelming, so I guess I could live with it. The XT was a blast, but a) I literally know nothing about the reliability of the CVT or of the engine, and b) if I want to get the Eyesight setup I have to drop a few grand and get leather instead of cloth. Ugh. Turbocharge the goddamned Crosstrek, you assholes, or at least give it the 2.5.

FWIW you can get eyesight on the premium Forester. It's still an added expense, but I prefer the cloth and virtually every one of them has the all weather package which is nice.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
The Golf Sportwagen is starting to look like a credible alternative; available in AWD with stick shift next year. Priced similar to the Forester.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
TSB out on late model turbo vehicles.

quote:

Description

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2007-2009 model year Legacy and Outback (turbo models only), 2008-2014 model year Impreza (turbo models only) and 2009-2013 model year Forester (turbo models only) vehicles. Due to inappropriate manufacturing process control of the relay which controls the secondary air injection pump, the relay may allow the pump to operate continuously.
Safety Risk

If this condition were to occur, the check engine warning light illuminates and the pump may overheat and melt causing odor or smoke to occur and possibly, fire.
Remedy

The remedy procedure will be to replace the secondary air injection pump relay with a counter-measured one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been out for awhile. Dealer took care of my 2011 when I had it in for inspection this year.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I wonder if they just added the 08-14 WRX'es. I just as of today got a letter about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine is a WRX. It popped up on the dealer service site when I made an appointment in early November. They told me then that they didn't know if they could perform it or not due to parts availability. If they only had the replace the relay, they could do it. If they had to replace a damaged air pump, they didn't have the part. In my case, they only had to do the relay.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Konrad posted:

The Golf Sportwagen is starting to look like a credible alternative; available in AWD with stick shift next year. Priced similar to the Forester.

People keep saying that the Golf Alltrack (and AWD Sportwagen S) doesn't "make sense" because it competes in between the Crosstrek and Outback. But I think that's actually the brilliant part, niche though it may be. And initial impressions of the thing seem pretty generally positive.

Something a little bit bigger, a little bit more powerful, and a fair amount more premium than a Crosstrek. And the Outback, great utility car that it is, is just plain too big and dopey (and automatic) for my tastes. Plus if I were going to get an Outback I'd want the 3.6, which is considerably more expensive.

The Alltrack fits in pretty well between them. An SE with a 6-speed manual will MSRP for about 30-31, while a more basic Sportwagen S 4Motion would be like 25k. So a bit more than a Crosstrek, a bit less than a trimmed up 4-banger Outback, and a whole lot less than a loaded 3.6R.

I'd really rather buy a Subaru than a Volkswagen, but man when the manual Alltracks finally become available supposedly end of January/early February that's a tempting package when there is no WRX hatchback, turbo Crosstrek, or manual Forester XT available. Subaru, why do you hate me so. Maybe once Subaru gets rolling with the new global platform the situation will improve, but if that ever materializes it'll still be a couple years out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 4, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I remember stories of coolant in taillights in older VWs, but what about this last 'cheaper mk6' America-specific one? People were worried about the cheaper Jettas, but I can't say I've heard much that wasn't from the older gens.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Supposedly the Mk6 and especially current Mk7 platform is "a lot" better. But I think the bar was pretty low coming from the Mk 3-4 era.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
People flocked to outbacks because they wanted a roomy AWD vehicle that wasn't an SUV. SUV's have become so car like, and the outback has become so huge, that it's basically indistinguishable from any other midsize SUV at this point.

The Alltrak is what the Outback used to be: a two tone lifted AWD wagon.

Also the Golf R is what the WRX used to be: a quick AWD turbo hatch.

I wonder if Subaru gives a poo poo that they are straying so far from what they used to be. They sell everything they make so probably not.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Bring back the Brat.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

They sell everything they make so probably not.

Yeah, the whole "Toyota with AWD" thing is working well for them, at the expense of their interesting stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VW faces an uncertain dealer support network moving forward, so there's a bit of buyer beware that needs to be taken into account.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is there a reason why the audi allroads were so unreliable? I've thought about getting rid of my outback and considered the golf alltrack. My friend pointed out that the old audi allroads were horribly unreliable and maybe it wouldn't be the best idea.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The original Audi allroad was from the real bad days of VAG in general (late 90s - early 00s), and it was based on the A6 and used the 2.7T which had numerous turbo and gasket issues and required engine-out for fixing and the air suspension was ridiculously complex and failure prone.

The new allroad is A4-based and uses the same 2.0T as every other VW/Audi and has a normal suspension AFAIK. I'd be much less wary of the new one compared to an old one, other than typical VAG stuff.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 4, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Guinness posted:

The original Audi allroad was from the real bad days of VAG in general (late 90s - early 00s), and it was based on the A6 and used the 2.7T which had numerous turbo and gasket issues and required engine-out for fixing and the air suspension was ridiculously complex and failure prone.

The new allroad is A4-based and uses the same 2.0T as every other VW/Audi and has a normal suspension AFAIK. I'd be much less wary of the new one compared to an old one, other than typical VAG stuff.

I think it was motor trend that reported the current Audi side isn't unreliable, but some do burn oil even new. So they really are going for the subaru market! :v:

I thought I'd never own a non subaru car, but here i am with my wife driving a forester and I'm in a gti. Because non sad hatchback.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Reposting so I can I hope get suggestions because wiring is well beyond me

Okkkkkaaaaay.Broken earth to one of the coil packs. I now know why the ECU was having a spit about cyl 1

Uhhhh..... I have no idea

Not even plugged in....!

NFI. Just.... hanging about.

And yes it continues in the same vein. Plugs just going nowhere, wires that just end and what the hell have I got myself into?

However I know what they tried to do - they tried to merge the B4 engine harness into the WRX when they should have gone the reverse - used the WRX harness and then modded as required for the B4 engine and added extra water temp pickup and phase II coil packs mods.

Well, the whole engine harness is being binned, that'll never work. I can either -

1) Use the 1.8 litre engine harness I have and splice in as required
2) Use a 96 WRX harness and splice in whats required for the B4
3) Possible idea - use a 2001 WRX loom in it's entireity.
4) Custom with a stanalone ECU.

I will also by the looks of it need to check how compatible the cam / crank angle timing marks are for a WRX and change as necessary. I think the best idea is to select a target ECU and work backwards so it gets the right timing signals it expects.

Any thoughts on this one, apart from petrol and a match?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Maksimus54 posted:

FWIW you can get eyesight on the premium Forester. It's still an added expense, but I prefer the cloth and virtually every one of them has the all weather package which is nice.

I think that's only the 2.5i Premium. The XT Premium doesn't have it listed as an option at subaru.com, and the Edmunds review specifically states, "Note that the EyeSight package is not available on this model." Weird, but those're the breaks, I guess. Oh, well. The garage says -- for the third time -- that no, really, this time they've fixed the oil leak on the Impreza* so maybe I can hold off on a new purchase for a while until Subaru makes something a bit more interesting.

* First visit, after tracer was added previously, showed gasket leaks. After the repair things were good for a bit and then I stared seeing oil on the driveway. My friend has some ramps, so we stuck it up there and found what appeared to be a leak at the dipstick tube. Took a picture, took it to the garage, and they said it would be a no-charge fix because they were up in there the first time. Leak did not improve. Took it back for another no-charge visit and they said, "Welp, sorry, the dipstick tube was actually damaged, we repaired it and it should hold, but we can replace it if that doesn't work." At least I'm not paying extra for the guesswork. Somewhere in the middle of this prolonged oil saga it started shuddering at about 45 MPH after about twenty minutes of driving and pulling hard to the left with braking, and the speed at which the shudder occurred dropped even lower over the remaining five minutes of my drive home. At the next start up it seemed okay, and then the symptoms returned. My friend's best guess, based on my subjective sense that the front right brake was really hot after limited driving, was that the right front brake piston was getting partially stuck. Fifty bucks later, he fixed it, but man, has the wagon been getting on my nerves.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Guinness posted:

People keep saying that the Golf Alltrack (and AWD Sportwagen S) doesn't "make sense" because it competes in between the Crosstrek and Outback. But I think that's actually the brilliant part, niche though it may be. And initial impressions of the thing seem pretty generally positive.

Something a little bit bigger, a little bit more powerful, and a fair amount more premium than a Crosstrek. And the Outback, great utility car that it is, is just plain too big and dopey (and automatic) for my tastes. Plus if I were going to get an Outback I'd want the 3.6, which is considerably more expensive.

The Alltrack fits in pretty well between them. An SE with a 6-speed manual will MSRP for about 30-31, while a more basic Sportwagen S 4Motion would be like 25k. So a bit more than a Crosstrek, a bit less than a trimmed up 4-banger Outback, and a whole lot less than a loaded 3.6R.

I'd really rather buy a Subaru than a Volkswagen, but man when the manual Alltracks finally become available supposedly end of January/early February that's a tempting package when there is no WRX hatchback, turbo Crosstrek, or manual Forester XT available. Subaru, why do you hate me so. Maybe once Subaru gets rolling with the new global platform the situation will improve, but if that ever materializes it'll still be a couple years out.

What doesn't make sense is comparing the Sportwagen S 4Motion to the Crosstrek and the Outback. The Forester slots neatly between the two and closely matches the GSW for price (~$25k) and cargo volume (30/67 ft^3).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I can't speak to the wiring, but that broken blue tube back there probably needs to be replaced.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dang, I wish I even knew about the Alltrack. I just bought my wife an outback and it was a little too big and too slow but she likes it anyway.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

When I started up my WRX this morning to take it in for the recall, I heard the Power steering pump whining. Checked the fluid and it was low. Found a drip under the rack. Getting a new rack for $100, thanks to that added security warranty I bought( I think they are stupid but the wife insisted).

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
I'm shopping used Outbacks with <100k miles and that's getting me in the 2010+ year model range.

Is there a reason to prefer an early model FB25 to a late (2010+, MLS head gasket) model EJ, other than the timing chain on the FB? Is the oil consumption thing bad enough to avoid FB's in the early years?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2018 WRX gets a facelift, STI gets a better diff but keeps the goddamn EJ. No hatch of course.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108162_2018-subaru-wrx-and-wrx-sti-preview

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sigh, I guess it's Focus RS for me next year.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Sounds like some blingy brakes on the new STI though. And now to watch ebay! ;)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't know about "better." Sounds like they are removing the lsd device in the center diff and going back to the 05 and earlier system but likely with more front bias. 04-05s have a 35:65 default torque bias and the diff can be fully opened. The 06+ is 41:59 with a mechanical lsd combined with the dccd.

So cheaper, not better.

Be cool if they're really going to put on the 6-pots though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subaru still feeling out what exactly the bare minimum is.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

jamal posted:

I don't know about "better." Sounds like they are removing the lsd device in the center diff and going back to the 05 and earlier system but likely with more front bias. 04-05s have a 35:65 default torque bias and the diff can be fully opened. The 06+ is 41:59 with a mechanical lsd combined with the dccd.

So cheaper, not better.

Be cool if they're really going to put on the 6-pots though.

I thought the later one was just a different bias ratio - I've never found reference to anything other than the GKN style EMCD coupling in DCCD setups. *edit* That is to say, the GKN style EMCD coupling to lock the planetary diff.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Where is the hatch??

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Where is the hatch??

On the Crosstrek, I'd assume.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

turbo
manual
hatch

pick 2.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Powershift posted:

turbo
manual
hatch

pick 2.
Someday they'll bring it back.

I hope. :sigh:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm hearing about an awful lot of Focus RS'es with grenaded transmissions and leaking axle seals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

First model year.

Subaru is on what iteration of the STI and they can't stop the engine from eating itself?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

bull3964 posted:

First model year.

Subaru is on what iteration of the STI and they can't stop the engine from eating itself?

Well, they'd actually have to change something on the engine to fix it, right?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, they'd actually have to change something on the engine to fix it, right?

Too much effort. Just sell more Crosstreks and Outbacks until those pesky enthusiasts go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm hearing about an awful lot of Focus RS'es with grenaded transmissions and leaking axle seals.

Haha if this is true it's hilarious. There is a moderator on Nasioc who worked on the development of the RS saying that exact thing would happen, and to expect it to be the weak point of the car. And that adding power would be a super dumb idea. Which is funny because Cobb just received their order today.

New components hitting the market means I can upgrade the WRX with used STI brakes cheaper. Though the CTS-V Brembo package will probably adapt to the WRX for cheaper still