Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

POST 1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
drat if they had a dollar for every post they'd double their funding!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

pixaal posted:

Hey OP! A bunch of people are going to be making games that are more complete than this mess! Time limit is 14 days too! Making games is hard I know man.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279

I did this one time in high school & won a little bit of money maybe it will help their campaign

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Original_Z posted:

I suppose this game will have the honor of joining the likes of the Demon Rush and Crimson Haze as ambitions projects that were run out of the forums in glorious fashion.

glorious is a strong word

E: had to quote because you nerds speed posted :mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How juicy are we talking here?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well guys I did a little digging to find out what's up exactly. So I browsed over to their job postings, thinking maybe someone here could fill a vacant and needed slot! You got to have the right people for success.

http://hyperdevbox.com/?portfolio=3d-graphic-artist

3D Graphic Artist posted:

JOB DESCRIPTION
The 3D Graphic artist assignments are designing 3D characters, applying motion capture data to bones skeleton, designing environment backgrounds, textures and user interface elements for games, import and proof check of the exported data into unity3D.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
. Good professional graphic design skills including illustration, animation and computer graphic design.
. Proficient in Unity3D, Photoshop, Maya 3D or similar 3D modeler application.
. Participation in brainstorming sessions & peer review.
. Being familiar with current games
. Speaking Japanese or English

Pays about 1800$/month, comparable to average salaries for computer programmers in Japan. Well that would explain why the juicy screenies haven't been forthcoming! If you really think about it, they put that all together without even that basic part of game design! Impressive! Or the guy cranked out stuff with as much default Unity assets as possible and then quit in August. Which lines up.

What else might they need?

http://hyperdevbox.com/?portfolio=senior-game-programmer

Game Programmer posted:

JOB DESCRIPTION
The Game Programmer is responsible for the systems design and programming implementation of the technical and game design documents and/or managing our port from one platform to another. We currently seek someone that is familiar with ANDROID (Eclipse) and/or iOS (Xcode) architecture, Unity3D engine knowledge being a plus.
RESPONSABILITIES
. Developing resuable system architecture
. Researching and implementing new technologies
. Develop and code the more complex game systems
. Assist with forming schedules
. Complete programming tasks in accordance with schedule
. Ensure high quality code
. Perform functional testing on their code
. Fix bugs
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
. Good C, JAVA and C++ skills
. Good 3D math skills
. iOS and/or ANDROID experience is essential
. Good Unity3D engine skills will be appreciated
. Working within scheduled time constraints
. Communicating quality issues with technical director
. Reporting to Producer, Project Manager or Technical Director
. Working within a small team environment
. Showing particular attention to detail
. Being familiar with current games
. Speaking English

Wow that is a lot of things one person would need to do! And boy howdy do those all sound like things you should probably have if you are showing off juicy tavern screenies that purport to be early gameplay! Again, the pay is comparable to the averages for computer programmers, but about 20,000 yen more a month. Get in now guys! It's a hot position, it's only been open since mid-June!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
can you really hire a computer programmer with c++, java, and (presumably) obj-c or art for $24k/yr before tax in japan

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

can you really hire a computer programmer with c++, java, and (presumably) obj-c or art for $24k/yr before tax in japan

I live in a third world country with the biggest currency devaluation of the last 20 years going on, and you wouldn't be able to find anyone in here for that salary.

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
Maximum Cube Developers, where have you gone? Please maintain communication with your fan base or else we will have to assume the worst.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

3D Graphic Artist

Maybe when they fill this position the characters wont look like wax figures left in the sun too long.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

They ran off with the money and our forums dreams

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh god i've only just noticed all the ugly as sin models behind the character portraits

Horrifying dead eye stare.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Like I mean if you don't have a programmer and don't have a 3D artist you are categorically not making a game. Is it like, just day after day of meetings of ideas like a kid's clubhouse? Do they all just fawn over the fresh new dozen-a-day anime arts that their guy does one of every week? Like, what actually goes on there and how are they paying a music/PR guy (not a good overlapping position as we've seen), we can assume at least an art guy unless they are just doing commission, and the CEO. Probably a web guy. Who also handles the phones. I don't loving know and it hurts my head thinking about it goodnight

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's an entire company of Idea Guys plus a few cheapo anime artists that are probably working for whatever Japan's minimum wage is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What does this mean?

Also maybe you could just scrap the 3D side of stuff and just make a 2D game?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Golden Goat posted:

What does this mean?

That dude, and indeed all the 2D artists, are part of some other company that's just been contracted to do cutscenes and concept art. None of that actually seems to have come from Hyperdevcocks

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Well, at least now you know who they modeled the eyes after.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

Oh god i've only just noticed all the ugly as sin models behind the character portraits

Are that wine bottle and that loaf of bread or whatever it is glued to the tray or was gravity different during the French Revolution

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

Are that wine bottle and that loaf of bread or whatever it is glued to the tray or was gravity different during the French Revolution

I think she's currently falling?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tony Tango: The Game

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Golden Goat posted:

This seems like it would be the most rational course of action given what they actually have to work with.

Then again, this is Thermidor 1789: The Beginning. An anime-styled tactical Japanese RPG about the French Revolution, named after the traditional "end" of the Revolution, yet dated with the beginning, using two different calendar systems in its title. We ain't here for rational. :getin:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

dated with the beginning, using two different calendar systems in its title

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that :vince:

they can't even get things right in the title of the game

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that :vince:

they can't even get things right in the title of the game

I mean, we're retreading old ground here, but why name your game after one of the most famous guillotinings in history if there's no guillotines in your drat game??

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I mean, we're retreading old ground here, but why name your game after one of the most famous guillotinings in history if there's no guillotines in your drat game??

It'd be too violent for this game. For some reason.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

It'd be too violent for this game. For some reason.

Well then we're faced with the larger scale question of why make a game about one of the most famous processes of applied political violence in history if you don't want bloodshed?

eta: I'm using a very broad definition of "making a game" here obvs.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cause they wanted to make a cute anime kickstarter game and for some reason the french revolution as a setting but hell bent on keeping it cute for god knows what reason.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

Cause they wanted to make a cute anime kickstarter game and for some reason the french revolution as a setting but hell bent on keeping it cute for god knows what reason.

guns and swords: cute

guillotines: not cute

got it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kawaii means cute
Guns & Swords are kawaii

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

guillotines: not cute

this is an outrage

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly kinda seems like what they really want to do is a Les Miserables RPG.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That would be way better.
(It's got guillotines, right?)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't think so, which is a MAJOR drawback, but is more in line with their (misguided) policy on guillotines.

eta: Would be happy to learn that I'm wrong and that the role of Eponine could be played by a tsundere guillotine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean poo poo there's a popular anime where all the girls are warships or planes or something so a guillotine character can't be that much of a stretch

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why stop at one guilltoine character when we can have an army.
I'm trying to think of good name for team G.U.I.L.L.O.T.I.N.E

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Golden Goat posted:

Cause they wanted to make a cute anime kickstarter game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A study in how 2 completely different faces can still give off identical creepy/rapey vibes

also no amount of perspective/angle handwaving can change the fact that homeboy has a normal-sized upper arm and weird Trump-esque tiny baby forearm and hand.

e: oh yeah I didn't know they had fedoras in 18th-century France either

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 4, 2017

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Kelp Me! posted:

e: oh yeah I didn't know they had fedoras in 18th-century France either

M'bladey

(That was a bad guillotine joke)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
please do not post bad guillotine jokes in this, the guillotine game thread, thank you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Foglet posted:

M'bladey

(That was a bad guillotine joke)

hey I lol'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Crossposting but in honor of our fallen heroes, I'm making this for the SA Gamedev thingy.

Fructidor: Juicy Fruities, a guilloutine-themed fruit slicing game, set in the French Revolution. (First "gameplay" video in the second link)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post467970233
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802279&pagenumber=3#post467984112

• Locked thread