Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veeam is good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

veeam is the only piece of enterprise software i have ever used with both:

1) an installation procedure that literally consists of "double click exe, hit next a few times, it works"
2) a user interface that seems to have been designed by someone who actually knows how to design UI/UX

they should really start charging 4-5 times what they do now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BiohazrD posted:

veeam is the only piece of enterprise software i have ever used with both:

1) an installation procedure that literally consists of "double click exe, hit next a few times, it works"
2) a user interface that seems to have been designed by someone who actually knows how to design UI/UX

they should really start charging 4-5 times what they do now

Yeah it owns

I'm having issues with one of my backup copy jobs but I'm p sure it's not actually veeam being the problem

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

graph posted:

they were utterly perplexed, absolutely loving baffled, that moving just the domain controllers and basic auth stuff to AWS would cost around six figures a year
The licensing probably cost half that so it's not add bad a deal as it looks

It cuts out a lot of cruft that's hard to quantify in the same way contractors do, which is why they cost double employees' salary but are still preferred

Not typically a good solution for mid to large businesses' infra tho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah it owns

I'm having issues with one of my backup copy jobs but I'm p sure it's not actually veeam being the problem

you phone them up and it will be fixed inside ten minutes. their support is good and cheap.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

also they only make you license based off of what host you want to back up. like if you have a 3 host cluster w/ 2 sockets each but only one host actually runs VMs that need to be backed up you only have to license two sockets

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
we had a small fire in the office over a weekend and our BCP plan seemed to go pretty well and people could get poo poo done. that's just telling people to go home and use the vpn though, actually moving data around etc is way more complicated

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the entire company must smoke tons of weed because idk how else the could be so chill

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BiohazrD posted:

also they only make you license based off of what host you want to back up. like if you have a 3 host cluster w/ 2 sockets each but only one host actually runs VMs that need to be backed up you only have to license two sockets

and when you ask your account manager about it they dont try to bullshit you. if you say you have 2 hosts/4 sockets and you need to replicate over to a 3rd, and start the discussion with "i guess i need to license 6 sockets" they quickly correct you and let you know that you only need 4. a good software company.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks Ants posted:

you phone them up and it will be fixed inside ten minutes. their support is good and cheap.

I'm still on vacation, it will wait :sun:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks Ants posted:

Also this can't be allowed in this thread, it sounds like a good and productive phone call

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

call them via skype for business

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

graph posted:

they were utterly perplexed, absolutely loving baffled, that moving just the domain controllers and basic auth stuff to AWS would cost around six figures a year

uh, shouldn't be with reserved instances

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

uh, shouldn't be with reserved instances

there was a deal breaker with those, forget what it was

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

hobbesmaster posted:

Amazon probably uses all their compute resources to optimize billing. it looks so reasonable until you do some math

i ran into this trap when i first estimated pricing it seemed way cheaper, then as we brought non-prod envs online we started catching poo poo we missed and welp turns out we didnt save much, but the nice thing is that you're finally off some lovely ancient private cloud running ESXi/vCenter 5.0 and you can actually work towards true elasticity

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

not having to pay for electricity/cooling/UPS/generator backup/etc is worth it if you don't have to p2v a shitload of legacy garbage that will blow your cloud spend out of the water with needing to have an enormous number of VMs

gently caress running your own domain controllers, go to azure AD if you can and O365 for exchange

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

One of my clients used to be in a very earthquake-prone area and we asked them what their Disaster Recovery plan was during an earthquake. They basically said all 6,000 people would just VPN. We asked if they can handle 6,000 people working from home. We asked them to do some load testing and it melted down their vpn and they couldn't actually get it back up for the Christmas holidays so yeah, don't trust the tech/sales ppl.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i had a project curled out into my lap that involved two fibre circuits and one acting as a backup to the other. no information from the guy that sold it. spoke to the customer, they got two because a lot of construction work was happening in the area and they wanted to ensure that if anyone dug through their fibre, that they could still be online. welp, would have been good for sales to unearth this nugget, since both fibres were run in next to each other unless the provider was given a ton extra cash to route them differently.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we return from the holiday period and kick off the BUSINESS ADVENTURE with a 'friendly reminder email' from the guy who has nothing else to do but remind us to clean up outdated docs on shared store drives.

many of us are just now seeing this task. apparently this was a departmental activity scheduled from 12/22 through 1/4. only five of those days aren't official company holiday, and upwards of 50% of the office would have been out for three of those.

gg, guy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

we return from the holiday period and kick off the BUSINESS ADVENTURE with a 'friendly reminder email' from the guy who has nothing else to do but remind us to clean up outdated docs on shared store drives.

many of us are just now seeing this task. apparently this was a departmental activity scheduled from 12/22 through 1/4. only five of those days aren't official company holiday, and upwards of 50% of the office would have been out for three of those.

gg, guy.

that owns

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why arent your retention policies clearly defined and automated??!?!?!?!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

power botton posted:

why arent your retention policies clearly defined and automated??!?!?!?!

ok so in their defense, we're getting there. part of this activity is forcing people to start cleaning up the ollllldddddddd poo poo that really shouldn't be out there anymore and move what does need to remain to more intelligent storage. we're one of the later departments to do so, largely because a lot of our old project management documentation just got dumped on our collective shared drive, or on any of a thousand obscure sharepoint sites, where only the old Treebeard types (me) remember that its out there and we're gonna be hosed without it.

if i had my way i'd tell everyone imma delete anything earlier than 2016 next month, and if it's not moved by then it'll be lost. but i dont get my way and they don't have the balls.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

we return from the holiday period and kick off the BUSINESS ADVENTURE with a 'friendly reminder email' from the guy who has nothing else to do but remind us to clean up outdated docs on shared

don't dox stymie

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
cjs: supposed to help IT set up one of our products on our network with a mildly complex configuration but IT needs to tell me what exactly they want

this process started the first week of december, since then there have been 6 emails all of the form:

quote:

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Let's go ahead and get started with this - $name can you set up the meeting?

Thanks,
$previous_name

can't wait for the inevitable clusterfuck of a webex that will inevitably ensure whenever someone gets around to setting up the meeting

alternatively, still having this thread in my inbox next january

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i was just reminded that i need to go hit up our IDM team and ask if they're stilling running on those windows 2003 servers.

the ones they cant switch out because they can't get the new application stabilized, so the old one has to live on like the Emperor of Mankind kept alive on the Golden Throne by sacrificing thousands every day. so those servers live on, in spite of pressure from even above the CIO to get them loving decommissioned.

but they can't. they tried to patch the new system last night and it broke again, in fact.

not because it's my problem, i just want to laugh at them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

not because it's my problem, i just want to laugh at them.

:unsmith:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

adulthood is emailing back and forth "sorry for the delay!" until you die

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

woah

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/jg_networks/status/816705546074128393

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

maniacdevnull posted:

Our pm emails me for updates every week since $bigproject began in June. I've yet to respond. Ignoring pms is a time honored office tradition like drinking coffee or getting too drunk at happy hour and hitting on co-workers

"hey can you create a task in jira for what you're working on?"

*closes slack*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh my god

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bloody posted:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Bloody posted:

this is too real

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
holy poo poo our official, regulatory compliance approved sop still says and I loving quote "facsimile is to be the preferred method of communication, where cost is not prohibitive"

are you loving kidding me

like the whole thing doesn't even mention email wtf

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

holy poo poo our official, regulatory compliance approved sop still says and I loving quote "facsimile is to be the preferred method of communication, where cost is not prohibitive"

do it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

of course it does. they're exempt from tons of laws and faxed signed documents count as originals

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

i work for a company that has produced fax modems since they were invented. sales increased last year and are expected to increase again this year.

its absurd how many regulations faxes are exempt from

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
setting up a secure transport between you and an unknown party is literally impossible so faxing provides a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

setting up a secure transport between you and an unknown party is literally impossible so faxing provides a workaround.

l o m a r f

• Locked thread