Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khazar-khum posted:

She just had a baby and is wondering why she feels different? What's wrong, is she upset now for missing out on crappy dates, miserable trips with worthless friends, and nights of getting so blind drunk you go to the wrong house? Is that what she thinks she wanted?

Lady just had a kid. She feels off because her hormones are all messed up right now. She doesn't realize what a gem she has in her husband. She needs to be hit with a clue by four.

plus the entire gist of her post is "i hosed up and don't have the life i thought i would have at this point, what do i do? PS: i'm not going to change the life i have now"

like what advice do you possibly expect anyone to give you then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
This is all total guesswork but if she moved from Atlanta for modeling, maybe she's just depressed because she's still relatively young, probably pretty attractive and now she's tied down in a very mundane way. Partner that with being exhausted from baby and hormones/potential PPD and small wonder she's so unhappy. But, there's a kid now so time for princess to suck it up! I feel bad for her husband, he sounds decent.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
She's pretty obstinate about being a stay at home mom, despite wishing she could still have her career, so I think perhaps her problems come from within. Tough to say how much of it was the pregnancy considering she got pregnant, got married to someone she doesn't really like, and quit her job, all somewhere within the last year. For all we know she also moved out of Atlanta to work at that job she swiftly quit right before she met the guy too

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

From what she wrote, I think she is a good candidate for therapy.

of course I think that. I'm a therapist.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I feel for her a little because I have a great life that I love and wouldn't trade for anything, but I'm not immune to thoughts of "oh man, I never really did this or that". Just part of growing up I guess:kiddo:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

WrenP-Complete posted:

From what she wrote, I think she is a good candidate for therapy.

of course I think that. I'm a therapist.

Minor derail, assuming you're being truthful, and knowing that old joke and all, but who exactly isn't?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
While I feel for her life not turning out as she expected when she was young and post-partum depression is one hell of a thing, she isn't winning points in my book by not communicating her problems and desire for change to her very decent, hardworking husband. Her husband is trying really hard, so it's not a good look on her part.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Khazar-khum posted:

She just had a baby and is wondering why she feels different? What's wrong, is she upset now for missing out on crappy dates, miserable trips with worthless friends, and nights of getting so blind drunk you go to the wrong house? Is that what she thinks she wanted?

Lady just had a kid. She feels off because her hormones are all messed up right now. She doesn't realize what a gem she has in her husband. She needs to be hit with a clue by four.
i think people are over-analysing this.

the op posted:

I don't dislike him, but I'm not in love with him. I want to make a nice family with him, but I wonder if immediately marrying him was a huge mistake.
tale as old as time....

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Are we all ignoring the fact that she's obviously an elf? A lot of elves have quarter-life crises in their 250's, especially when they've accidentally geased themselves to a human and have a half-elven child. It's a hard time.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'd hazard to guess she's made a lot of huge mistakes in the last year or so, she doesn't seem very active in controlling where her life is going

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rural America is loving awful. I can't blame her for not wanting to be out there with no chance of escape. Football and Hooters and substance abuse forever :barf:

Of course, abortion, adoption and single-motherhood literally did not occur to her at all so she has only herself to blame.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dude must feel like he won the lottery. Simple rural dude with a simple job, marries a model from the big city. I bet he loves the poo poo out of her.

She should have just co-parented with the guy, it's 2017, there's no need for a shotgun wedding just cause you get pregnant.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

Rural America is loving awful. I can't blame her for not wanting to be out there with no chance of escape. Football and Hooters and substance abuse forever :barf:.

Sure, I grew up in a rural area and I would rather kill myself than do it again, but I deal with that by not moving to or living in a rural area

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Serephina posted:

Minor derail, assuming you're being truthful, and knowing that old joke and all, but who exactly isn't?

Michelle Obama is the only person who entirely has her poo poo together

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Serephina posted:

In my opinion there are tons of people who have problems, but none big enough to get therapy over, but if they went to therapy would be convinced they have an issue they need to work through when they really didn't.

I'm not saying therapy causes problems, but if you don't need therapy, don't get therapy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This dude needs to get a divorce asap

Me [22 M] & wife [22 F], 7 years together with 2 kids, Wife refuses to get a job, 1 income not enough

We're both 22, have a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son.

I have always been the only income in the house. As of right now, I work 40+ hours a week, making only about 1400/month. We already receive foodstamps (which covers the majority of the month's costs in food, sometimes we fall short though), WIC and medical assistance.

Our monthly expenses include:

Rent: 485 (already live in a tiny apartment)

Electricity: up to 130-150 in the summer

Internet: 60.00

2 Cell phones: 100.00

Gas (car): 100-120

Insurance: 150

Laundry: ~40.00

There are, of course, other expenses that are hard to quantify like house hold products, bathroom products, diapers, wipes, general kid expense.

All-in-all, we barely end the month with less than 100.00 to our name. And frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of working 80+ hours, living in a poo poo apartment, constantly stressed about money, and then having to worry that if I miss a day, or I get sent home early on enough days, that we really won't have enough money. We always manage to get by, but it feels like by the skin of our teeth.

And even though I'm the only income in the house, I get home and am expected to help cook dinner, help clean the house, do my own laundry, ect. Now, I don't mind being the only income, but I do mind barely making it with my income, coming home at 8:00, and being expected to spend the 4 hours I have at home doing housework that I feel like should already be done if her only job she has all day is to watch the kids and clean the house.

I've tried bringing up the fact that I think she aught to try to get a job as well, even if it's just a part-time job, to help out with the bills. Every time I get faced with opposition.

Her biggest hangup for getting a job is the fact that she doesn't trust any person at all, including family members, to baby sit the kids. She absolutely refuses. I tried to tell her we could try to find a baby sitter we trust. I have offered to have my family watch the kids. I have asked her to ask her family to watch the kids. Nothing.

And I get that. I understand not trusting others with our kids. But when it's our own family, and our lifestyle is suffering because of it... I think it's become a huge problem for us.

I've even tried to work with her and asked her if she would be willing to possibly babysit from home, since she wouldn't have to leave our kids with someone else, and she could still earn some extra money to contribute. She claims she can't handle more kids in the house. I've even offered to try to help her start her own crafty/DIY business (she has a lot of crafty aspirations she hasn't really committed to). I asked her to try to add up everything she would need to do so, and I would try to create a budget for her to do so, but she still just doesn't even try to do that. I feel like I've tried to offer every possible solution to try to get a second income in this household, so we can actually get somewhere instead of living check to check.

What else can I do? Do I just suck it up and get a second job? Am I unreasonable to expect her to provide some sort of supplementary income?

I need advice.

Sorry if this falls under more of a relationship advice, rather than financial.

tl;dr: Wife makes excuses to not get a job, one income isn't enough, and I'm not able to convince her that I need her to create some sort of supplementary income, and motivate her to do so.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Zelder posted:

Not American but oh man, I love your son to be ex-FLOTUS(:smith:) that woman is a vision of dignity, class and grace

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ride The Gravitron posted:

This dude needs to get a divorce asap

Me [22 M] & wife [22 F], 7 years together with 2 kids, Wife refuses to get a job, 1 income not enough

Living in the south I see this situation way too often (married at like 22 after dating since highschool) and like 9 out of 10 times they're the only ones who can't see the divorce coming

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Malkof posted:

Sorry for the bummer post, here have a childfree palette cleanser:

Childfree Not Only Because I Am Annoyed By Children, I Am Jealous Of Them

His parents shoulda hosed like rabbits and had three more kids to spite the little bastard.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zelder posted:

nope, everyone who has ever studied or practiced law is irrevocably broken inside

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zelder posted:

Living in the south I see this situation way too often (married at like 22 after dating since highschool) and like 9 out of 10 times they're the only ones who can't see the divorce coming

Had a kid at 18, plausibly married then.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The lovely thing about the single income problem is if she does get a job, then they will have to pay for childcare which is not at all cheap

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the real problem seems to be that he makes at or near minimum wage (1,400 a month at full time is something like $9/hour before payroll) which, don't have kids at 18 if you don't have some sort of financial support

honestly if the wife hasn't worked before and had no specialized education or training, which seems likely (kids at 18) it would probably end up costing them more in childcare costs than she could make in an entry level job anyway. poverty loving sucks

she could at least take care of the house so he doesn't have to

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
She very well could be, a two year old and a four year old are like walking hurricanes that will kill themselves accidentally if left unsupervised and at 22 she's probably pretty overwhelmed. Not an excuse for it but I'm not surprised. Poor planning+poverty= depression.

Think of it this way, next time you clean, take all the books off your shelf and throw them on the floor. Grab a handful of cheerios and stomp them into dust, dump out your Tupperware drawer all over the kitchen floor. Do one of these things every time you pick something up and put it away

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The mentality of "get married, have kids, and figure it out as you go" is still strong in a lot of places.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

she isn't winning points in my book by not communicating her problems and desire for change to her very decent, hardworking husband.

I'd like my wife to test her message before informing me that the problem she has is everything about our life.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Serephina posted:

People may have a number of issues to work out before they are ready to work on their own stuff in therapy. She sounds like she's right on the edge of introspection, has safe housing, perhaps has post partum depression, and doesn't have a support network where she is.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That story is the prototypical test case for why having kids at a young age without proper income and planning is a very bad idea. All of that resentment and depression could have been avoided if dude and his wife waited several years until they had decent jobs and some savings. There's just no requirement whatsoever to have kids when you're married and that situation is exactly why. :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zakharov posted:

The mentality of "get married, have kids, and figure it out as you go" is still strong in a lot of places.

One of the biggest deciding factors in my engagement was probably how we could go about everything. Like doing our theoretical "move in together and have kids" budget before even starting to plan the wedding.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

In my opinion there are tons of people who have problems, but none big enough to get therapy over, but if they went to therapy would be convinced they have an issue they need to work through when they really didn't.

I'm not saying therapy causes problems, but if you don't need therapy, don't get therapy.

Sometimes people go to therapy to explore their life dreams or something. That's also a fine choice. But if you don't want therapy, don't get it.

Also this:

Zelder posted:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not sure what a divorce is gonna do for that guy, he'll still have expenses and not enough income to cover them. Dude needs a better job.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Sometimes people go to therapy to explore their life dreams or something. That's also a fine choice.

Sure, but this sounds like something a life coach is for.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Sure, but this sounds like something a life coach is for.

No argument there.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Toddlers destroy houses in minutes. I work all day while my wife stays home, and I come home to a disaster every single day. It's honestly way easier to work than it is to watch children. I have a 2 year old and a newborn. Life is gonna be rough for awhile.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe she could be doing more, maybe not. We will never know from one side's account.

What we do know is that they self owned by having a child at 18 and another at 20. Doing that as commoners in the current reality of economics was extremely ill advised and they are gonna suffer for it. There is basically no good solution.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

While I feel for her life not turning out as she expected when she was young and post-partum depression is one hell of a thing, she isn't winning points in my book by not communicating her problems and desire for change to her very decent, hardworking husband. Her husband is trying really hard, so it's not a good look on her part.

Really sounds like she's depressed, she can't communicate her problems because there's no easily defined external source of her misery to communicate and 'I can no longer perceive happiness' is not an experience people have an easy time self-diagnosing and communicating.

like maybe once she gets herself right she'll figure out this isn't the life for her on top of that, but you're not figuring out anything in that mindset because everything you could possibly be doing or experiencing is equally dissatisfying. Easy money she wound up where she is cause she'd stopped being able to really want anything in particular and this wound up the path of least resistance; guy wants to get hitched, guy wants the kid, and she just goes along with it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 4, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

zakharov posted:

lol at all these stories of being married in your early 20s with a kid just lol

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Lyrai posted:

Reading all of these terrible people makes me appreciate poo poo like http://imgur.com/gallery/DE10M this so much more.

This is fuckin' adorable and I hope they stay that in love for the rest of their lives.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

zakharov posted:

*in extremely Jastiger voice* the south

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I saw this one earlier, I wonder how these two even got together. It sounds like she hates his lifestyle, which is fine, I guess, but don't marry the poor guy and start a family with him then.

It's one of those stories where I feel like literally everyone would be happier if they had put the baby up for adoption or something instead of having a shotgun marriage.

I'd like to see his side of the story. I imagine it goes somethign like this

Background on how they got together and had a kid etc...

I provide for my wife, she gets to stay home with our child. I'm trying to connect with her but she doesn't really seem to want to.
I make good money and provide for the family but that means I have to work long hours and she resents that.
She's constantly needy and lays around all day doing nothing, when I get home after a 14 hour shift on my feet she unloads on me, and I can't take it anymore.
Help me reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Christ this is our first, I'm 27 and I still have these brief periods of "what the gently caress I just realized I'm too young to have a kid oh my god". I could not imagine trying to navigate early 20s as a parent. Then again probably the reason I waited so long is because my mom and sister both had their first at 20 and I saw the realities of how hard it is