Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/814969410750451712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sabreseven posted:

It's from last year, just before they split the game packages to squeeze more money from potential pledgers :D

Yeah, when you see backers saying the game is guaranteed to come out this year don't mistakenly assume that the quote is less than 12 months old.

code:
if (month < 9) {
	return "It's coming out this year!";
} else {
	return "Everyone knew it wouldn't be out this year.";
}
Since 2014, this has accurately simulated Star Citizen backers.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 4, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chalks posted:

Yeah, when you see backers saying the game is guaranteed to come out this year don't mistakenly assume that the quote is less than 12 months old.

code:
if (month < 9) {
	return "It's coming out this year!";
} else {
	return "Everyone knew it wouldn't be out this year.";
}
Since 2014, this has accurately simulated Star Citizen backers.

Not really, I don't see at lest three bugs in your code yet I'm sure most, if not all backers are buggy.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Rewind 5 years and borrow some of the people who made Planetside 2 netcode. Roll your own engine instead of using Cryengine. Work on the base systems of an MMO instead of making three singleplayer games and trying to hack them together along with multiplayer support. Or, burn the loving project to the ground, sell the assets and leave the country for some unknown island forever.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Man, remember the MoMA from like Spring-Fall that was actually starting to acclimate to SomethingAwful? Like he rolled with punches and was occasionally entertaining when he wasn't shilling or outright lying. There was a certain playfulness to him too. I wonder what happened to that guy? Ever since the CitizenCon disaster MoMA has been rude and humorless with a propensity for insults and attacks. That was a pretty drastic switch too, I'd suggest account sharing if the voice behind the account had changed as dramatically as the tone.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Man, remember the MoMA from like Spring-Fall that was actually starting to acclimate to SomethingAwful? Like he rolled with punches and was occasionally entertaining when he wasn't shilling or outright lying. There was a certain playfulness to him too. I wonder what happened to that guy? Ever since the CitizenCon disaster MoMA has been rude and humorless with a propensity for insults and attacks. That was a pretty drastic switch too, I'd suggest account sharing if the voice behind the account had changed as dramatically as the tone.

its hard to be cool when the people you defend keep making GBS threads on you and piling on the turds

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sillybones posted:

Rewind 5 years and borrow some of the people who made Planetside 2 netcode. Roll your own engine instead of using Cryengine. Work on the base systems of an MMO instead of making three singleplayer games and trying to hack them together along with multiplayer support. Or, burn the loving project to the ground, sell the assets and leave the country for some unknown island forever.

I totally forgot about Planetside 2, which brings me onto my second point, Planetside 1 was what 2003'ish and was the 1 planet version of the FPS MMO Star Citizen wished it could be.

I remember trying to play that through a 56k modem connection and having a blast.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Rudager posted:

I totally forgot about Planetside 2, which brings me onto my second point, Planetside 1 was what 2003'ish and was the 1 planet version of the FPS MMO Star Citizen wished it could be.

I remember trying to play that through a 56k modem connection and having a blast.

PS1 was awesome, had a 'gaming night' with a few friends during it's peak and we ended up playing it for nearly ten hours straight, it started off as a recon run to a technology plant and turned into a battle that would last all night and into the next day.

I logged back in last year to witness the final minutes of game life, the farewell meteor storm was epic. :)

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Y U GUYS NO POSTING?!

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
code:
if(derekWasRight == true)
	{ 
		MoMA = derek.Attack();
	}else{
		MoMA = smug();
	}
:discourse:

Welcome back MoMA you loving idiot.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bN7SNsTTg&t=15s

:gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-ZivgsOXc&t=25s

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just been messing about browsing rubbish on youtube and I noticed a thing. A LOT of the "Games coming in 2017" listicle things seem to have Star Citizen on their list. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

Here are a couple of examples, there are more if you can be arsed to look for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmaSZljqNE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov3KnO3YfvE

I wonder if this will help prolong funding and keep the shitshow rolling for longer...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Y U GUYS NO POSTING?!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsiaaFsJxko&t=32s

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

I like how he is looking up, waiting for the drop.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
ABLE TO HACK TERMINAL IN STAR MARINE LAST STAND BEFORE MATCH STARTS

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 before game begins, get into position by a terminal
2 when the 10-second countdown begins, you want to hack the terminal after the "1" count, but before the match begins
3 when the match begins, you will start at the terminal, with the hack already in progress

ACTUAL RESULT
with precise timing, you can start the match by hacking any terminal if you are able to get into position in time. i have successfully done this on both maps with multiple terminals.

EXPECTED RESULT
cannot hack terminal before game starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e7Sj_TRtyc

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-Md56jK9Y

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Galarox posted:

Just been messing about browsing rubbish on youtube and I noticed a thing. A LOT of the "Games coming in 2017" listicle things seem to have Star Citizen on their list. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

Here are a couple of examples, there are more if you can be arsed to look for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmaSZljqNE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov3KnO3YfvE

I wonder if this will help prolong funding and keep the shitshow rolling for longer...

The reason is the saturation of wanna-be game media "journalists" who don't have the established reputation, or balls, to wind up on the wrong side of this. Predicting the failure of Star Citizen, despite its near guaranteed eventuality, is still a risky endeavor. Much safer to include it. If Star Citizen succeeds, they can validate themselves with the new cool kid on the block by claiming they were rooting for them all along. If it fails, they get fodder for free follow-up articles along the lines of "What happened with Star Citizen?"

Reporting on its failures is less rewarding, regardless of it being more accurate. You're pissing off CIG in the here and now, getting toothless threats from their attorney, and attacks from a cult. Even when they're proven right, it's not like they'll rise to prominence as the "one company who had to balls to tell it like it is." They'll just get more death threats from the backers for being part of the reason SC failed.

It could also be that CIG is paying for this coverage, which would explain where some of the money is going, since they're certainly not making a game.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben's penis looks like a pig tail?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/daopa

This guy is streaming his experience with SC

So far he's had to restart once because he had no idea how to get out of the turret, and laughed looking at the key bindings screen (you need a virtual magnifying glass to read it)

https://clips.twitch.tv/daopa/HealthyPelicanKreygasm

Gonna watch for a bit more to see how many bugs he encounters

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Ask Sally.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

The reason is the saturation of wanna-be game media "journalists" who don't have the established reputation, or balls, to wind up on the wrong side of this. Predicting the failure of Star Citizen, despite its near guaranteed eventuality, is still a risky endeavor. Much safer to include it. If Star Citizen succeeds, they can validate themselves with the new cool kid on the block by claiming they were rooting for them all along. If it fails, they get fodder for free follow-up articles along the lines of "What happened with Star Citizen?"

Reporting on its failures is less rewarding, regardless of it being more accurate. You're pissing off CIG in the here and now, getting toothless threats from their attorney, and attacks from a cult. Even when they're proven right, it's not like they'll rise to prominence as the "one company who had to balls to tell it like it is." They'll just get more death threats from the backers for being part of the reason SC failed.

It could also be that CIG is paying for this coverage, which would explain where some of the money is going, since they're certainly not making a game.

Interesting, I agree particularly that CIG might be paying for the coverage, as that would be a cheap way for maximising publicity and ties in with your suggestion that the listicles are created by wannabe-hacks who would, I suspect, do anything for cash & be very cheap too. Some of those listicles have a LOT of hits. I hate to admit it but IF it is an active marketing ploy by CIG its actually quite clever - very cynical, but clever.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Galarox posted:

Interesting, I agree particularly that CIG might be paying for the coverage, as that would be a cheap way for maximising publicity and ties in with your suggestion that the listicles are created by wannabe-hacks who would, I suspect, do anything for cash & be very cheap too. Some of those listicles have a LOT of hits. I hate to admit it but IF it is an active marketing ploy by CIG its actually quite clever - very cynical, but clever.

There's no might about it, they're paying blog farms to put out positive articles about them. Remember that one that got pulled for being so blatantly inaccurate, tweeted by their PR agent and posted on a site that has never reviewed a game before in its entire history? loving lol.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:stonk:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

Too add to this, in the games "journalism" industry one of the main rules is you don't poo poo on games in production because if you gain a rep for doing that you will stop getting access to those in development games then everyone who follows the rule starts scooping you over and over and you end up in the pile of dead game websites/magazines. That's why you often see upcoming games treated like they are the second coming then they get poo poo on after release, the mag knew it was poo poo beforehand but they don't dare say so.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Galarox posted:

It's no different than how marketing works in any other field. Whenever you hear a commercial for something, particularly on the radio, pay attention to the phrasing. Some of it is overt - say a diet aid - they'll talk about how X number of pills will make you lose Y pounds per week. That's the information dissemination portion of the advertisement. But in addition there's a lot of psychology - phrases like "the new diet aid that everyone is talking about" for example. That's intended to make you feel that there's something out there people are discussing, and thankfully you heard about it on the radio so you don't get left out of the impending water cooler conversations. They knew damned well when the recorded the commercial that nobody on the planet is "talking about it" but they said so anyway. That's basically lying, but it's impossible to prove, and not worth disproving.

Gaming media uses the same tactic. "Amazing upcoming game by the maker of Wing Commander!" Of course it's neither amazing nor is it upcoming, but people take it at face value, because they have no reason to believe this isn't just like any other game out there - the article says it's coming out, so it's coming out. Why wouldn't it? Most of the games they report on come out. To expect them to understand that CIG is not a game development company and have never delivered anything, and that there is actually no plan or design document for the game, is a bridge too far. To the casual reader, if those things were true, the article wouldn't exist.

Which of course is the entire plan. If enough people start talking about something because the media said that people were talking about it, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is how entertainment media controls which celebrities the public is supposed to be following this day or the next. With gaming media, the very existence of an article stating nothing more than "Star Citizen is a game in development" lends legitimacy to CIG that they didn't earn through actual work or progress. The article says it's a game and it's in development, so that becomes "fact." Meanwhile these fuckers can't get an FPS working in an FPS engine.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 4, 2017

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Pope Corky the IX posted:

More like a hairy nipple

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lol! Still better than the wing commander movie

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

EminusSleepus posted:

Lol! Still better than the wing commander movie

Edge of Tomorrow was a good fuckin' movie.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

A fact I haven't seen brought up with regards to CIGs plan for infinite scaling using AWS, is that while new servers can be spun up to increase player connections, the database does not scale at all. As soon as you clone a database for a new instance it gets out of sync, and you can't just merge all the new information together in later on. All clients must be communicating to a single database. This is probably the reason why Lumberhard specifically states that it's not suitable for anything persistant across instances (such as an MMO)

I'm not sure how most MMO's handle it; I'm guessing it's probably a combination of sharding servers, having a hard cap on the number of simultanious connections (so definitely not "infinite scaling"), and being really careful about what each client is writing back to the database (so no millions of NPCs doing things that update tables constantly for no reason)

Firstly, deferred updates on some things. These are writes that can be queued. Also use a table driver that handles row level locking rather than table level.

Sharding in database terms usually means splitting actual tables, plus you can use temporary table schemas to handle adhoc transaction states that are 'bundled' back into the main table.

After that, you're into the heady world of binary replication and master/slave configurations. Binary replication is effectively a tight communication line to the slave that just replicates any changes on the master.

But no, you're entirely right, database scaling is a absolute pig. Row locking can be an arsehole, Sharding increases complexity and replication - I had a database fall out of sync once with a slave, and it took 45 minutes to rebuild from the binary logs; a straight dump and rebuild of the master would have taken fifteen. Admittedly that was late 90s, but the second you step out of the technological comfort zone, costs skyrocket.

Eve online had this problem with their MSSQL DB, so the first thing they did was slap it on the biggest SAN array available. They already sharded the systems themselves, but it still gave them an upper limit on number of things they could track that had nothing to do with Moore's law or elastic compute, and more to do with the honking bottleneck around table writes.

AWS tends to shuffle a lot of this complexity off into RDS, but it's still far from perfect.

Scruffpuff posted:

The cascade effect of even the tiniest change on the entire system is astounding.

I once watched a fairly minor change to a query take out a rack, then a datacenter, which then started spreading to the other datacenters before we rolled back the code. We still call it Brown Trouser Tuesday. You could literally watch the latency creep across the network.

When we train our guys for some of the bigger roles, we try to make sure that they understand the level of scale that they're at; at one point it was $100K/min. Things are a little more abstract now we have 23,000 employees, but we still have a show and tell when poo poo breaks loose to learn from the unfortunate mistakes of our peers.

Facebook Aunt posted:

In EVE Online they added Time Dilation (TiDi).

That was a later addition, and actually after I stopped playing the game. Time dilation effectively changes the laws of physics for the game, which is actually a great idea. The lag on entering the system was deferred database writes that meant that defense was always slightly easier than offense.

Back in 2005, the drones skill + advanced would let you field ten drones (There was a gallente Navy ship that got a +5 bonus too); they reduced this back down to five when it turned out that they were tracking the state of every object in a system (not just local grid) and missiles were physical objects, which is why we had anti-missiles. After they moved to tracking drones on local grids, and removed missiles as physical objects things got tightened up. At this point you could still find Omber in a 0.6, so y'know.

For a while there, shuttle spam was funny as all hell. Dumping shuttles from a freighter would turn them into ships, which would destroy the local grid...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

It's from last year, just before they split the game packages to squeeze more money from potential pledgers :D

Instead of failing to supply one game in 2017, they're failing to supply two.

That's 100% growth in a year. We've got it all wrong, guys.

Wait for them to split out Star Marine and fail to supply three games in 2017. Then you'll be sorry.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hav posted:

Firstly, deferred updates on some things. These are writes that can be queued. Also use a table driver that handles row level locking rather than table level.

Sharding in database terms usually means splitting actual tables, plus you can use temporary table schemas to handle adhoc transaction states that are 'bundled' back into the main table.

After that, you're into the heady world of binary replication and master/slave configurations. Binary replication is effectively a tight communication line to the slave that just replicates any changes on the master.

But no, you're entirely right, database scaling is a absolute pig. Row locking can be an arsehole, Sharding increases complexity and replication - I had a database fall out of sync once with a slave, and it took 45 minutes to rebuild from the binary logs; a straight dump and rebuild of the master would have taken fifteen. Admittedly that was late 90s, but the second you step out of the technological comfort zone, costs skyrocket.

Eve online had this problem with their MSSQL DB, so the first thing they did was slap it on the biggest SAN array available. They already sharded the systems themselves, but it still gave them an upper limit on number of things they could track that had nothing to do with Moore's law or elastic compute, and more to do with the honking bottleneck around table writes.

I used to work in high availability DB replication to banks and other major businesses; where the software wizards who make this happen fast with 100% reliability command huge salaries. The gaming industry could really benefit from that expertise, but gaming industry wages are poo poo, so its hard to get an engineer to make the switch.

If enough gaming companies move their server infra to AWS or similar there's an opportunity for a middleware company to spring up using the expertise developed in banking software. Response times would need to be faster, but reliability doesn't have to be quite as high so it might balance out.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Hav posted:

AWS tends to shuffle a lot of this complexity off into RDS, but it's still far from perfect.

I once watched a fairly minor change to a query take out a rack, then a datacenter, which then started spreading to the other datacenters before we rolled back the code. We still call it Brown Trouser Tuesday. You could literally watch the latency creep across the network.

When we train our guys for some of the bigger roles, we try to make sure that they understand the level of scale that they're at; at one point it was $100K/min. Things are a little more abstract now we have 23,000 employees, but we still have a show and tell when poo poo breaks loose to learn from the unfortunate mistakes of our peers.

That was a later addition, and actually after I stopped playing the game. Time dilation effectively changes the laws of physics for the game, which is actually a great idea. The lag on entering the system was deferred database writes that meant that defense was always slightly easier than offense.

Back in 2005, the drones skill + advanced would let you field ten drones (There was a gallente Navy ship that got a +5 bonus too); they reduced this back down to five when it turned out that they were tracking the state of every object in a system (not just local grid) and missiles were physical objects, which is why we had anti-missiles. After they moved to tracking drones on local grids, and removed missiles as physical objects things got tightened up. At this point you could still find Omber in a 0.6, so y'know.

For a while there, shuttle spam was funny as all hell. Dumping shuttles from a freighter would turn them into ships, which would destroy the local grid...

I don't think their main problem will be database I still think their biggest problem is network.

It is true that unlike application servers you cannot magically spin up a new database server. So I think they will be going for a fixed number of db instances be it replicated or just one huge powerful machine like exadata or Hana.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

C.H.O.M.E posted:

If you root for penn state you love child molestation. Sorry, pedo, get hosed.

poo poo, well it's been a good run in normal society. I guess I'll go see what Shmorky and Ben are up to - maybe they'll be my friends now. :reddit:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Eldragon posted:

I used to work in high availability DB replication to banks and other major businesses; where the software wizards who make this happen fast with 100% reliability command huge salaries. The gaming industry could really benefit from that expertise, but gaming industry wages are poo poo, so its hard to get an engineer to make the switch.

If enough gaming companies move their server infra to AWS or similar there's an opportunity for a middleware company to spring up using the expertise developed in banking software. Response times would need to be faster, but reliability doesn't have to be quite as high so it might balance out.

That db replication I would guess its golden gate?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

What are you doing now? Still DBs?

Banks are essentially betting huge amounts of cash on reducing latency, so they throw all those loving overdraft charges at the scaling issues. We have a bunch of HA stuff that runs the backbone, but I'm not a DB guy, I'm a network guy. I know some _very_ good DB guys who I get drunk regularly so they answer my phone calls, though.

Right behind the banks at the moment are the ad buying networks, which are effectively realtime bidding for eyes. The whole system is gamed to gently caress and back, but there are rules around comscore, and this creates more traffic than you'd believe.

AWS' other big issue, apart from shared infrastructure - unless you pay the big bucks, and you're still not sure where your poo poo 'lives' - is that they like to handle internal routing, so load balancing across availability zones is a bitch to the extent where we've had people routing west coast to east coast, then back to west coast after hitting the AWS network.

Lumberyard was intended to lower to bar to entry for people to produce games, 'hopefully' re-creating the desktop publishing publishing model. It doesn't actually _fix_ anything. Now they have to slipstream their changes to take advantage of the development on HEAD after they aligned to a much, much earlier commit.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hav posted:

Lumberyard was intended to lower to bar to entry for people to produce games
This is good for Star Citizen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Was he training it to fight? Sometimes thats neccessary for reluctant dogs. Saves their life ultimately. They'll get torn to shreds if they shy in the ring.

But knowing him he probably just did it to feel strong with no caring purpose behind it.

What if he was training it to fight social injustice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/04/video-games-2017-guide

Of course there are morons clamoring for Star Citizen to make it in the list in the comments :v