Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

And yet, no big discount on Chopping Mall.

Give it a month or two.

Also, looks like all the Disney Studio Ghibli films are marked down:
Princess Mononoke - $14.99
My Neighbor Totoro - $14.99
Spirited Away - $20.00
The Wind Rises - $14.99
The Cat Returns - $20.00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Give it a month or two.

I don't know. Only real time I seen a price drop on it was during that lightning deal and it sold out surprisingly quick.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

What do you goons do with all the slipcovers?

I've been keeping them all and throwing them into a bag to preserve shelf space - and in randomly going through it, I've got probably a couple hundred or so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

What do you goons do with all the slipcovers?

I've been keeping them all and throwing them into a bag to preserve shelf space - and in randomly going through it, I've got probably a couple hundred or so.

Saving them so I can do a livestream for the Blu-Ray.com forums of me setting them on fire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I never keep slip covers, because they gently caress with the symmetry I have going on with my movie shelf. Totally not OCD related at all, why would you ask?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

They're a part of the packaging so I leave them on. I never even considered doing anything else?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Saving them so I can do a livestream for the Blu-Ray.com forums of me setting them on fire.

Yea I think I read at some point along the way that some people find them valuable? That some are more rare than others?

I mean the only ones I've really noticed worth keeping are the Kino Lorber covers for things like Steamboat Bill Jr and Fallen Angels - not really slipcovers but still redundant to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah people on Blu-ray.com Buy and sell the slips by themselves.

I keep the slips and quite like them, but always throw out the cardboard and paper J shaped things that's just marketing gumph anyway. I bet that pisses some people off.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

EL BROMANCE posted:

always throw out the cardboard and paper J shaped things that's just marketing gumph

From your Steelbooks? It's the only thing (aside from literally loading up the disc) that tells you what's on the disc re: special features and whatnot. Gotta fold those things and keep them inside the case.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah mainly steelbooks, think I've had similar from some others but can't think of anything in particular... maybe my Battle Royale boxset?

I think I actually did fold some and put them inside at one point. Not proud of that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't even keep the cases any more. I just have a big binder for most of my discs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't even keep the cases any more. I just have a big binder for most of my discs.

Assuming you're not joking (but even if you are I know of people who do this), this is so absolutely nuts to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zenintrude posted:

From your Steelbooks? It's the only thing (aside from literally loading up the disc) that tells you what's on the disc re: special features and whatnot. Gotta fold those things and keep them inside the case.

Some steelbooks put that info on the inside of the case. Pretty sure all 3 of the ones I picked up from Arrow in the recent sale have it that way.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I used to throw slip covers away until I found out people collect them. I only threw out slips from kung fu movies anyway, I'm not even sure that community cares but the horror community is absolutely nuts over slips.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm physically sick right now, thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've been keeping everything in binders because of space concerns, but I'm picking up a shelf from IKEA in a week or two so I can at least put my nicer stuff out (like Criterions and stuff in special cases). Not really fetishizing the packaging, but Criterions look really nice on a shelf and I like having the booklets on hand.

Ended up putting most of the movies across two binders in semi-alphabetical order, another binder for TV, another for short films/misc stuff, and Criterions in their own binder.

(The cases are all in boxes either in the closet or in my mother's attic)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I used to keep the entire case, but when I moved, I threw away most of the cases in favor of just removing the paper inserts and putting the discs in a binder (with the inserts in one of the inner pockets of the binder). I only kept stuff with really unique packaging. But the blue cases with paper in 'em? Really no reason to keep them.

I know. Some people will want to kill me. I recently did this with my CDs too, although the digipak era kind of complicated things. Jewel cases feel worthless, but digipaks feel more unique.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Assuming you're not joking (but even if you are I know of people who do this), this is so absolutely nuts to me.

It saves a lot of space. I own many books and they are now on shelves that once held dvd cases. I keep the criterion booklets in a tupperware.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I move once every couple of years so gently caress cases unless they're suuuuper nice

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

On the subject of cases, I'm really liking how all of Flicker Alley's releases are in Criterion cases. Masters of Cinema and BFI are using thick clear cases (like those for PS3 games).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You're all nuts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the current best version of The Man With The Golden Arm?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

The UK Blu-Ray from Network:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Man-wi...N=B00VBPX51Y&m=

Region free and in the proper widescreen format instead of open matte.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sweet. That's pretty cheap too. Thanks, Brexit!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The book.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
DVD Beaver's Best Of 2016 list is up. Good roundup of quality releases from other regions for anyone who might find such a thing useful.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anyone else have some top 10 lists for the year?

My picks...

Napoleon (BFI - Region B) - Easily my most anticipated release of all time. Top-notch 2K restoration, one of the best silent scores ever in DTS-HD 7.1, and probably the longest audio commentary ever recorded. Even the film-based extras like the alternate ending and documentary on Abel Gance are fully restored.
Man with a Movie Camera and Other Films by Dziga Vertov (Masters of Cinema - Region B) - Tops the overcompressed US/French disc in every way. Spreads 5 1/2 hours of films from one BD-50 (WTF) to two BD-50s, adds a commentary, booklet, and a visual essay.
Chimes at Midnight/The Immortal Story (Criterion) - Finally a US release and beautiful restorations.
Johnny Guitar: Signature Edition (Olive Films) - Blows the first edition away with a stunning 4K restoration and plenty of extras. Olive's Signature Editions are 100% Criterion quality.
Marx Brothers Collection (Universal) - Five essential classic comedies finally given proper treatment. Plus, Universal even added commentaries for each film and produced a really nice feature-length doc.
Deadpool (Fox) - Too many new releases have skimpy extras. This manages to be Criterion-quality with a feature-length making-of, two commentaries, and hours of other extras.
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Criterion) - One of my new favorite movies. Besides the movie, worth it for the great 1990 Q&A, Ebert commentary, and the John Waters interview.
Blood Simple (Criterion) - The Coens hit it out of the park with their first film, now served by a flawless 4K restoration. The lengthy "Telestrator" feature with the directors and Barry Sonnenfeld is one of the coolest extras ever.
The Kid (Criterion) - I never thought a 1921 film could look this perfect.
It's Such a Beautiful Day (Bitter Films) - Don Hertzfeldt's Kickstarter project to bring his films to Blu-Ray was monumental. Not only a great collection of films, it surpasses the quality of many major studio releases.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im confused and would like some help if you guys would be so kind

i've never seen Lawrence of Arabia

I would like to see it.

I read some articles about a 4k remaster being mind blowing

all I see on Amazon is a blu ray version if it though

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y1YK0I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There's a supposed 4k digital version? But i thought streaming is limited to like barely 1080p with a fake 4k?

What one should I get? :qq:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

im confused and would like some help if you guys would be so kind

i've never seen Lawrence of Arabia

I would like to see it.

I read some articles about a 4k remaster being mind blowing

all I see on Amazon is a blu ray version if it though

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y1YK0I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There's a supposed 4k digital version? But i thought streaming is limited to like barely 1080p with a fake 4k?

What one should I get? :qq:

Remastered in 4k doesn't mean that it's released in 4k, just that the current transfer was made in 4k. The blu ray is what you want here.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've always wondered, if film is scanned at 4k for a transfer but then downconverted to 1080 for the Blu-ray, what's the point of scanning it at 4K?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ combination of future proofing and downscaling generally gives you a bump in quality compared to working at the output resolution.

Hopefully they won't waste that transfers existence and it will come to UHD soon. I think I read a rumor about that a while back at least.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's a Blu-Ray sourced from a 4K master and there's a digital UHD release that's actual 4k.

If you have the hardware and some fast internet, it'd be worth trying the UHD version. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299977&pagenumber=394&perpage=40#post467775937

If you only have a Blu-Ray player, the Blu-Ray is still stunning.

Honestly, if I had the hardware, I'd just buy both and compare them myself. That way I'd know in the future whether digital UHD releases are worth it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmm okay. I have a 4k tv that automatically can stream 4k off of amazon so maybe ill do that. thanks for the help.

i've been getting into all time classic movies recently after reading you guyses posts about napoleon etc. I like some of these older movies alot they have alot of charm to them :shrug:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$88.48 - Red Bull Media House Film Collection https://www.amazon.com/Red-Bull-Med...39b60cb549eead4

It's 12 movies (The Art of Flight, Days Of My Youth, McConkey, Tracing Skylines, We: A Collection of Individuals, The Unrideables: Alaska Range, Strength in Numbers, Rad Company, Where The Trail Ends, Bending Colours, Congo: The Grand Inga Project, On Any Sunday, The Next Chapter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyPWW3xTsXw) and a bunch of bonus crap (a year to some magazine, 8GB USB drive, credential lanyard, keychain, carabiner/bottle opener, Lumo Light clip)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

hmm okay. I have a 4k tv that automatically can stream 4k off of amazon so maybe ill do that. thanks for the help.

i've been getting into all time classic movies recently after reading you guyses posts about napoleon etc. I like some of these older movies alot they have alot of charm to them :shrug:

That's cool, that happened to me about 3 years ago and believe me, you now have an entire world of movies ahead of you and you'll never ever run out of them.

If you like Lawrence of Arabia check out Bridge on the River Kwai. Same director, Alec Guiness in a starring role, can't go wrong.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've always wondered, if film is scanned at 4k for a transfer but then downconverted to 1080 for the Blu-ray, what's the point of scanning it at 4K?

A lot of cleanup is also done before it's downconverted. That way, you're working on the best source and have better control.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should be noted that these 4K restorations are also usually being prepped for theatrical screenings also, and the 4K scan is usually used when making the DCP for that. They're constantly doing restoration screenings in Los Angeles to show off the work, not to mention it providing another stream of revenue for the film makers.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A reminder that Arrow Video UK's sale is running until January 9th. I picked up Deranged and Inferno.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ruddiger posted:

It should be noted that these 4K restorations are also usually being prepped for theatrical screenings also, and the 4K scan is usually used when making the DCP for that. They're constantly doing restoration screenings in Los Angeles to show off the work, not to mention it providing another stream of revenue for the film makers.

It's worth noting that most of these state-of-the-art 4K restorations are part of long-term preservation, or as they call it now, "asset protection."

Sony and Warner have a "spare no expense" attitude. For example, the camera negative to Cabaret was lost at some point in the 70s (allegedly lost in transit). The next best element was high quality internegative. One problem. A few reels had a scratch running down the image. Warner's solution? Having every affected frame hand-retouched. All done in 4K and output back to film for preservation. In fact, when they restored Doctor Zhivago, they output both the restoration and the raw scans back to 35mm to future-proof it.

As for resolutions, you want to start at a higher resolution than your final product. For example, Universal's restorations are scanned in 6K, with a full 4K workflow. Sometimes a higher resolution. Most 65mm origin films are scanned in 8K. IMAX is scanned at 11K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatulater bro! posted:

A reminder that Arrow Video UK's sale is running until January 9th. I picked up Deranged and Inferno.

wis hit was a Arrow US sale :(

• Locked thread