Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Between "I can't win, I will attack whoever is in 1st place" or "I can't win, I will attack whoever will net me the most points/benefit" I really can't fault a person for going with either. Both are legitimate. Asking them to just shut down and no longer affect the game space just because they can't win is not reasonable in my opinion. And that's ignoring that fact that it is very common for players to think that another player (or themselves) can't win when they absolutely still can. There is also the moral grey option of "I can't win, I will pursue a vendetta against whoever knocked me out of the running".

The only king making move that I think is illegitimate taking an (optional) action that ends the game while the person who initiated it is not in first place. An example would be someone with a low score in Twilight Imperium taking Bureaucracy and popping Imperium Rex just to end things. You should not voluntary end the game or initiate it's imminent end when you cannot be victor.

Nobody's really blaming the players here, except in cases where they are just legitimately being vindictive idiots (like the revenge or "ending the game" options above, or the very real "I'm going to do idiot poo poo to be wacky" option). It's more how much the design of the game does to mitigate kingmaking, so someone who is legitimately playing well is just dogpiled and loses because they happened to be in first/made their own legitimate play to knock someone out when someone else decided to king make (or be target of wacky guy by looking in his direction or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I do not believe that "emptying a stack in Dominion" and "popping Imperium Rex when you are the loser" are remotely comparable. The former is an expected Game End condition that also increases the score of the person executing the action. The latter completely breaks the intended flow of the game and yields no points to the person executing the action.

e: this is not a response to the above post.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 4, 2017

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

"I'm going to do idiot poo poo to be wacky"

OK - yeah - this is the one guy who actually kills me. Screw you, wacky guy.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i once scored my 6th star in scythe because i thought i was winning but i wasn't turns out im just a dirty rotten kingmaker

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

i once scored my 6th star in scythe because i thought i was winning but i wasn't turns out im just a dirty rotten kingmaker

This is why I hate small world.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

except in cases where they are just legitimately being vindictive idiots
If you made it so another player still exists in the game but now doesn't have any chance of winning, you should assume that his main objective is now to drag you down with him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

If you made it so another player still exists in the game but now doesn't have any chance of winning, you should assume that his main objective is now to drag you down with him.

Yeah except I had a friend who got mad because someone attacked him in Cosmic Encounter - a game where a random deck decides who you attack

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

This is why I hate small world.

I usually hate hidden but traceable information, but then I think how my games of Puerto Rico end up with 4-5 point difference and what would it be to be able to count every single point and barrel before taking the final move and I'm not so sure anymore.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah except I had a friend who got mad because someone attacked him in Cosmic Encounter - a game where a random deck decides who you attack

Don't play games with this person.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Don't play Cosmic Encounter.
FTFY

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Players being able to end a game once they are completely out of the running sounds like a feature. It prevents players from dog-piling on whoever is in the weakest position unless they are ready to win.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Dominion is cursed in terms of online implementations.

I got an e-mail that I could import my old account into the new version. It had some random apologies... whatever, I clicked on it. My browser spun for a good 30 seconds, then hung on a picture of some random cart art with no interface.

The second time I tried, it worked and I was able to register my new account. I started a bot game. It seemed to be working (though watching the card art slowly pop in kind of made me curious about their web development skills) until it randomly returned me to the "register a new account screen" a minute later.

I exited and logged in again straight to dominion.games. I was able to return to my game in progress... but again, it keeps sending me back to the login screen every minute or so.

OK, so I logged in again in a new browser, and it's still sending me back to login. Also, there's a gameplay thing I have no idea how to deal with. I'm playing a board with Governor, and so I bought some Governors. But in my current hand, I'm already at 8 coins and so I don't want to play another Governor (obviously) - but it won't let me stop playing actions and play coins. Nothing in the interface is giving me any clues on this. And now I'm back on the login screen.

Wow.

Edit: game seems to work better for me in Firefox (as opposed to Chrome). Still rough, but it's not putting me back to the login screen every minute.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 4, 2017

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jmzero posted:

Dominion is cursed in terms of online implementations.

I got an e-mail that I could import my old account into the new version. It had some random apologies... whatever, I clicked on it. My browser spun for a good 30 seconds, then hung on a picture of some random cart art with no interface.

The second time I tried, it worked and I was able to register my new account. I started a bot game. It seemed to be working (though watching the card art slowly pop in kind of made me curious about their web development skills) until it randomly returned me to the "register a new account screen" a minute later.

I exited and logged in again straight to dominion.games. I was able to return to my game in progress... but again, it keeps sending me back to the login screen every minute or so.

OK, so I logged in again in a new browser, and it's still sending me back to login. Also, there's a gameplay thing I have no idea how to deal with. I'm playing a board with Governor, and so I bought some Governors. But in my current hand, I'm already at 8 coins and so I don't want to play another Governor (obviously) - but it won't let me stop playing actions and play coins. Nothing in the interface is giving me any clues on this. And now I'm back on the login screen.

Wow.

On the flipside, I logged in perfectly.
New implementation is rough but better than the old one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The speed of the game now is isotropic speed. Much better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

A single kingmaking decision is an unfortunate circumstance in a lot of games, but a kingmaking strategy is pretty much the result of a lovely person.

King making is a valuable meta-strategy, it allows you to modify future games to your advantage! :twisted:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I do not believe that "emptying a stack in Dominion" and "popping Imperium Rex when you are the loser" are remotely comparable. The former is an expected Game End condition that also increases the score of the person executing the action. The latter completely breaks the intended flow of the game and yields no points to the person executing the action.

e: this is not a response to the above post.

Emptying a stack in Dominion only increases your score if the stack you're emptying carries VP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Players being able to end a game once they are completely out of the running sounds like a feature. It prevents players from dog-piling on whoever is in the weakest position unless they are ready to win.

I agree, but I also agree that people aren't necessarily good at knowing when they're out of the running, particularly in the "cult of the new" board game scene a lot of us are a part of where you'll play a game 3-4 times ever since someone always brings their latest, sexiest purchase and wants to play it. I don't really know what to do about this issue in a broad sense, but I think it's something individual games and designers can address while working out mechanics and scoring systems.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KPC_Mammon posted:

It's like overtime rules in the NFL. They're kinda stupid and grossly favor the team who won the coin toss, but hey, you had the other 60 minutes where you could have won the game!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In an effort to get my son to unhook from electronics, we're committing to playing a board game every night after school / work and marking it off on a calendar he received for Christmas. With that in mind yesterday I stopped off at the used board game store yesterday and picked up a couple things.

For myself, I grabbed Tash Kalar (only $30CDN, though it's been played). I'm really excited to play this and hope to get a game in tonight against my brother. I was also considering getting Titan (also $30) or TI: Rex ($25) but finally decided against both because I have no idea when I'd actually get them to the table. The idea of getting Titan is kind of running through my mind though, despite that.

For my son, I grabbed Micro Mutants: Evolution for $5. It's the only dexterity games that we own, basically a tiddly-winks variant that pits bug armies against one another. It's pretty fun! Last night we played with myself, my son, and my brother using the basic rules and only a single capture for each base (normally bases need to be captured twice to be defeated). The biggest issue, other than just getting used to playing this type of game, was that the playmat was creased from being inside the board. I'm going to iron it out, roll it, and store it separately from the box. If we like the game enough I may actually switch the entire box over to a rolled chess style box instead, but we'll see how it goes before I commit to that.

Trying to decide what to play tonight... if my brother wants to join I might try Mermaid Rain, which would be our first attempt at it. If he doesn't, my son and I will probably play Sherwood Showdown. It has some rules printed on the cards that he'll need help with, but the rest of the game is a pretty straightforward card game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wait Amazon, you said The Colonists wasn't going to ship until the 8th! It's arriving Friday, I'm skiing this weekend you jerks!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone had experience playing the newer edition of Through the Ages?

The host of our gaming group LOVES this game...unnaturally so (he claims it's because he hates the randomness of dice, and this game has no dice.) We've played a shitton of the original, and yet I think in the span of a couple years, we only ever managed to play two games 100% by the rules...it seems there was always some rule we misinterpreted, or didn't notice, or forgot about. Though in our defense, it has a terrible rule book.

Which does bring me to my first positive about the second edition - a REAL rule book that doesn't rely on you remembering whether a rule is from the simple, advanced, or full version of the game. Just simply laid out in turn order. And then an addition book to go over a sample game is helpful as well.

Other things I appreciate in the new version:
Corruption occurring first, so that you'll always end your turn with some ore (assuming you have workers on the mines, and why wouldn't you unless it's the final turn and you need to move them to culture tech?)
Several leaders and wonders getting tweaked. The Michelangelo + Basilica combo is still powerful, but not nearly as much as in the first edition. Churchill is actually useful now.
The "get back an action for playing a leader when you replace one" rule. Encourages actually swapping a guy out before the age ends. I know that, for me at least, I'd sometimes get stuck in a rut with a given leader and be too focused on his ability and not branch out to something else, like someone giving me a science boost, so I don't focus on culture.

Things I don't care for:
Military can still be too lopsided. Yes, they tried to address this by eliminating sacrificing units for double strength, and opening up tactics, and even allowing any military card to be discarded for a +1 defense bonus, but that's only up to the # of military actions a player has. If they aren't going to be military-focused, then that's likely only 2 or 3, and maybe they'll survive that first aggression by doing that, but if someone is that much stronger than them, they can still play aggression after aggression on them if they keep lucking into drawing them. Not to mention it appears (though maybe I'm wrong) that there are even more events that are rewarding a high military and punishing a low one.
Related to above, there's still too much of "the rich get richer." Too many events that are along the lines of "the strongest gets X and the weakest loses Y." or "The player with the most culture points gets even MORE culture points."

And also the drat game still takes like 3 hours.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean. Civ games are usually pretty long. At least it's not The Colonists' 8 hours? ;)

And yeah, military's still important, in the sense of "family growth is important in agricola". You could win without focusing on it, but you're probably not going to win if you completely ignore it. It's a lot, lot harder to be screwed out of military, it's just that it means if you're getting whaled on it's probably (not definitely, probably) your fault, not random tactic draws.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It took 9 hours to play one of the Mansions of Madness scenarios

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The answer to all of this kingmaking is clearly player elimination :greenangel:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna try and get the AFfO topic up and running um... tomorrow, with a new challenge! I've got one ruminating but since I've been kind of sick I've been slothing it up.

My copy of Sushi Go! Party is so lonely though, I read through the rules and looked at all the cute faces on the sushi but haven't played it yet :cry: How is it 2-player? Maybe I can rope my girl into playing a few rounds tonight..

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
This talk of kingmaking does kind of bring up the question of how do you avoid the issue when designing a game? Obviously most people here don't want to kingmake, aside from a few malevolent souls lurking around, but in general it's a lovely position to be placed in. Some games you can't just pass, so unless you take a move that is obviously disadvantageous to you and allow the contenders to play it out without your explicit interference (which seems to also go against the spirit of the game as well, taking a dive in a sense) is there anything else you can do from a player's perspective aside from just going forward with your moves as if you weren't losing?

VVV Power Grid is quite fun and plays really quickly when you know what's going on but as with most auction games, it rewards higher play counts. I've read that it can get a runaway leader problem but I've never encountered it yet.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 4, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh, I didn't want this to get lost in my TTA rambling, but Power Grid...good game?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, I didn't want this to get lost in my TTA rambling, but Power Grid...good game?

One of my favorites. Power Grid is really good.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I think any game where it becomes a constant and big problem is an inherently flawed design. With that said, a lot of games really appeal to a huge audience where this is a problem, and you can't get rid of it without drastically changing the design.

I think Inis makes the best stab at fixing this problem by creating three quite separate win conditions. You're never really "out" of the game, and you're always going to stay motivated until the game ends to try to claw out one of those victory conditions for yourself. Still, unfortunately, you can accidentally king-make someone by playing sub-optimally. Or you could decide you're out (when you're really not) and be a dick and king-make. I don't think there could really be a 2+-player game game without player elimination where you entirely eliminate the problem, but it's cool to see some games coming up with legit ways to at least mitigate it as much as possible.

A lot of euro games just bypass this by having scoring "hidden" until the end of the game, but that's really more of a patch than a solution to the problem.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

This talk of kingmaking does kind of bring up the question of how do you avoid the issue when designing a game? Obviously most people here don't want to kingmake, aside from a few malevolent souls lurking around, but in general it's a lovely position to be placed in. Some games you can't just pass, so unless you take a move that is obviously disadvantageous to you and allow the contenders to play it out without your explicit interference (which seems to also go against the spirit of the game as well, taking a dive in a sense) is there anything else you can do from a player's perspective aside from just going forward with your moves as if you weren't losing?

Generally I think the best approach is try to keep the game as competitive as possible to minimize the chances that someone winds up facing a hopeless decision. There's a bit of a balancing act here because you don't want players to wind up too deep in the hole, but you also want players to feel rewarded for strong early play instead of having the game always be decided in the last 5 minutes independently of everything that happened up until then.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Hiding when the game will end ("I couldn't know for sure the game would end that turn") and hiding some of the point scoring or victory conditions can hinder kingmaking. A large enough lead and/or logical deduction can still put such a game back into transparent kingmaking mode though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

angel opportunity posted:

I don't think there could really be a 2+-player game game without player elimination where you entirely eliminate the problem, but it's cool to see some games coming up with legit ways to at least mitigate it as much as possible.

Player elimination is really not a fix for the problem; if anything, kingmaking seems noticeably worse for me in player elimination games. I have nothing to lose, might as well go out with a bang, etc.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's worse than you think.

It was a 4p game. I was Jinteki with Globalsec as my rival, P2 was Haas-Bioroid with NBN as his rival, P3 was Globalsec with Jinteki as his rival, and P4 was the Federalist. I knew P3 and P4's rivals from the first round just due to watching them play.

I eventually passed Thomas Haas to Globalsec so he'd swap his rival card out and be willing to work with me to stop the Federalist. The Federalist's turn was last, and he proposed an offer that would tank the game for everybody else. HB popped the card that made him tell us what he was going to do with his offer. Then, after having it publicly confirmed that I was correct all game long about P4 being Fed, HB dumped his entire hand to vote for his proposal because he thinks it's funny to act like an rear end in a top hat.

I'm probably never going to play a game with him again, if I can help it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Power Grid seems fine mechanically, but I find it dull as dirt to actually play.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's me, I am the Eldritch Horror fanboy. I even preordered something at at FLGS for the first time, the new Dreamlands expansion coming out tomorrow, because it was a hobby store full of fat old people who care about different model paints, and yet they were playing Black Sabbath over the store radio. Hey, I'm new to all this. Do fat old model-painting people secretly... rule??

They weren't playing it this time I went, but I have to support my FLGS just in case this is a thing. This place is where I get my games now.

e: also I thought these places were supposed to be more expensive than Amazon, but it was like $15 cheaper. gently caress Amazon, they can't even find my house sometimes, and I've been feeling bad for not buying local + supporting Amazon's business practices.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 4, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

GrandpaPants posted:

Power Grid seems fine mechanically, but I find it dull as dirt to actually play.

Yeah it's a right group thing. If you enjoy staring at a board while thinking really hard for 2 hours and doing a ton of maths in your head power grid owns.

If you have people that suffer from analysis paralysis or you like social games or you hate running the numbers power grid sucks.

I love it but there is one guy I avoid playing it with because the play time doubles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ragnar34 posted:

It's me, I am the Eldritch Horror fanboy. I even preordered something at at FLGS for the first time, the new Dreamlands expansion coming out tomorrow, because it was a hobby store full of fat old people who care about different model paints, and yet they were playing Black Sabbath over the store radio. Hey, I'm new to all this. Do fat old model-painting people secretly... rule??

They weren't playing it this time I went, but I have to support my FLGS just in case this is a thing. This place is where I get my games now.

e: also I thought these places were supposed to be more expensive than Amazon, but it was like $15 cheaper. gently caress Amazon, they can't even find my house sometimes, and I've been feeling bad for not buying local + supporting Amazon's business practices.

it's you, you are the fat old model-painting people

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Kingmaking, like quarterbacking, is not a game design flaw. It's a player flaw.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Power Grid is also one of the purest auction games I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CaptainRightful posted:

Kingmaking, like quarterbacking, is not a game design flaw. It's a player flaw.

I disagree.