Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

preferred calling card/emblem combo is "No Idea What I'm Doing" w/ Freefall

until you get spinners

And remember, no offensive Streaks if you're going for the spinners. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

preferred calling card/emblem combo is "No Idea What I'm Doing" w/ Freefall

until you get spinners

Dogtanian crew is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xO72s5EBY

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

widespread posted:

And remember, no offensive Streaks if you're going for the spinners. :v:

:hf:

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
My scuf's jump paddle is broken :(

Thankfully I'm still in the warranty period but drat this is annoying.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

They sell paddles you can just attach to your controller at Walmart. I'm thinking of trying them.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Scrap that dog poo poo and get a cinch. Buttons > paddles.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Because Grenades Are Dumb (tm), I decided to try remapping L1/R1 to Square/Triangle, so I have access to reload and weapon switch/mode switch/sight switch on bumpers instead of buttons.

It's... pretty cool. Taking some time to rewire my brain from years of hardwired muscle memory, but it feels pretty fluid when there's no thought involved and thumbs don't need to move at all to touch face buttons ever.

One ever so slight problem though... it makes rig abilities mashing triangle+square :| Not so big of a deal for stupid weapon payloads, but I don't use those anyway, and I fear it'll make Rewind less of a nuke-getter because of the slightly added delay.

Well, that and making the menus a bit confusing :v:

Gonna leave it this way for a week or so though, digging it so far. Just the convenience of swapping the VMC sight while ads or changing rpr/type2 quickly is really nice.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm in warranty so I'm sending it back, but I also just bought a battle beaver, so I'll try that out when it arrives. For now I'm playing bumper jumper which isn't too terrible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

housefly posted:

Scrap that dog poo poo and get a XIM4. M/KB > controller.

:agreed:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

feverish and oversexed posted:

I'm in warranty so I'm sending it back, but I also just bought a battle beaver, so I'll try that out when it arrives. For now I'm playing bumper jumper which isn't too terrible.

Did you get the Smart Triggers? I'd call them more of a luxury item given that the activation point on the DS4 triggers is really low, and there aren't any high fire cap semi-autos worth using in IW, but drat they're nice. Much better than playing flipped.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
This is glorious

https://gfycat.com/IcyPaltryHen

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
for what its worth only one person quit, he just pulled the whole team with him :shobon:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
speaking of teams I'm going to hop on now- if nobody is around I'll probably be dicking around in one of the new free games but just jump in voice chat and yell at me until I quit

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had two more of those 'everyone on the enemy team hates me because I'm sniping' matches last night. Literally three people in the party on the other team switched to snipers between matches. Then they quit and pulled the four man party out when I kept killing them :laugh:

I don't understand peoples reaction to using a shotgun/sniper. They switch to a shotgun/sniper like I'm going to... what, get mad? Buddy I'm a lovely sniper (and you're a lovely shotgunner).

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Godzilla07 posted:

Did you get the Smart Triggers? I'd call them more of a luxury item given that the activation point on the DS4 triggers is really low, and there aren't any high fire cap semi-autos worth using in IW, but drat they're nice. Much better than playing flipped.

Yes I did, since they were free

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Snipers on the front lines get what snipers on the front line deserve.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Expected the guy to go on a sick streak, this was much better.

Pissing off snipers to get them to ragequit is something I enjoy in any shootymans vidgames.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hey Javes, I found his Youtube channel. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zAeXGzKRkB8c5d47tcjaw

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Javes pointed out to me that you do not need to call in the nuke to get the CC. I just never looked and since I didn't see it after match....

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Javes pointed out to me that you do not need to call in the nuke to get the CC. I just never looked and since I didn't see it after match....

frick yase, that's very good to know. I think in MW2 if you got one but never used it it never counted.

Tonight I'll try to run for a nuke as well.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 5, 2017

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Yay!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

XIM has a OSX firmware update tool now, thank gently caress.

And I don't think I'll ever get a nuke. Best I've done is 20-22 a few times but that's with a Bomber or some other broken gun. Even on trash lobbies I can't keep up with the spawns (especially when we're crushing a team) and eventually someone pops me from behind.

I'll set up a class just in case we have a particularly bad lobby but whatever I got my space dog.

Speaking of, what does everyone run for their nuke class?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Fallout, VMC, Quickdraw, Suppressor, Ex Mag, Stock, Ghost, Dead Silence right now

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I'd be tempted to say add scavenger on any other nuke guns, but with the NV4-Fallout I think most pubs are using the NV4 anyway so its free ammo laying around.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I was running the xmas kbar, stock, foregrip, ghost, dead silence, scavenger, cold blooded and a tripmine/cryo.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

I'd be tempted to say add scavenger on any other nuke guns, but with the NV4-Fallout I think most pubs are using the NV4 anyway so its free ammo laying around.

i forgot to mention that propulsion/rewind is probably the most vital element to my attempted nuke class. you get 90 bullets and typically I run out of ammo right as rewind replenishes. not only does it give you an extra point to put towards God's Gun but it can potentially get you out of sticky situations

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

i forgot to mention that propulsion/rewind is probably the most vital element to my attempted nuke class. you get 90 bullets and typically I run out of ammo right as rewind replenishes. not only does it give you an extra point to put towards God's Gun but it can potentially get you out of sticky situations

Oh yeah I forgot that rewind gives you everything back! That's a very good point.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Where do I check my progress toward space dog? Im estimating I'm around 40 or so kills, but don't really know. Is it a dark ops challenge?

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

housefly posted:

Where do I check my progress toward space dog? Im estimating I'm around 40 or so kills, but don't really know. Is it a dark ops challenge?

Yep, it's a Classified challenge, so there's no way to track progress.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JackGeneric posted:

Yep, it's a Classified challenge, so there's no way to track progress.

¯\_:iw:_/¯

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Well that makes complete sense since it's absolutely logical to have quick draw, akimbo and a sight on your guns in this game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

housefly posted:

Well that makes complete sense since it's absolutely logical to have quick draw, akimbo and a sight on your guns in this game.

Well the same challenge existed in the last game so yeah it makes sense to try that again.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well the same challenge existed in the last game so yeah it makes sense to try that again.

Or they could have done something original.

Whatever. Space dog achieved this morning. One of you! One of you!

Edit: Revo - I checked out Battle Beaver to price out what my controller would have cost from them and, unsurprisingly, it's about the same. I did the four back buttons with remap, trigger stops, etc and have grip on the controller, so I went a little hog wild. My Cinch is in build now, so I'm hoping to get it next week!

housefly fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 5, 2017

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

housefly posted:

Edit: Revo - I checked out Battle Beaver to price out what my controller would have cost from them and, unsurprisingly, it's about the same. I did the four back buttons with remap, trigger stops, etc and have grip on the controller, so I went a little hog wild. My Cinch is in build now, so I'm hoping to get it next week!

Yeah I just went with the absolute basics because I'm cheap frugal.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I finally finished the campaign. They had me right up until the bad guy with the beacon got rescued by a platoon of his own guys that knew he was being moved and then magically showed up in force all over the place in the city the good guys had just fortified. After the good guys captured Jon Snow's mothership, it seemed like they were just trying to shoehorn in the suicide mission stuff.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gordon Shumway posted:

I finally finished the campaign. They had me right up until the bad guy with the beacon got rescued by a platoon of his own guys that knew he was being moved and then magically showed up in force all over the place in the city the good guys had just fortified. After the good guys captured Jon Snow's mothership, it seemed like they were just trying to shoehorn in the suicide mission stuff.

Agreed. Gameplay wise it was all really fun; storming the space elevator and stuff was neat. But plot wise it was just pure nonsense. How'd the unarmored guy ambush the heavily armed and armored protagonist so he could have enough time to cut out the transponder? That whole plot point was silly. All the heroic deaths were weak too, and really telegraphed. Honestly, if in the next game neither you nor your buddies die I will be legit surprised.

Campaign was really fun overall. Weapons feel good, killin' Mars facists was a hoot. I actually really enjoyed the space combat sequences, although missiles were pretty much useless because of enemy countermeasures. Titanfall 2 had an overall more memorable experience, but I think this one was meatier, I guess I want to say. I'll play through some of those ship assault missions again, definitely.

Maybe IW shouldn't let the voice actor of their protagonist write their games. Reyes was a total doofus but the writing was completely unaware. Why didn't we play as Salt? That would have been cool. I mean, it's COD. It's guaranteed to make hundreds of millions of dollars, so you might as well take the chance and give us a sickass lady protag by this point. Reyes was so boring :negative:

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Me, fuzzy and javes joined a in progress dom game where we were losing 11-62. We ended up winning 200-194 :smug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Reyes being unaware of how doofy he sounds at any given point is part of the charm, and I'll take it because it makes the rest of the character dialogue immediately recognizable as Good Stuff. Since the entire story is basically a self-contained and drawn out epiphany to Reyes that he is, in fact, doofy and bad at leading people, I think it fits even better.

Things to improve on:
- Lol one loving day are you making GBS threads me IW. Those cruisers don't get built in two days; Earth is hosed.
- Badass female lead please.
- The correct answer to "how do I destroy this walking tank" is not "jump on its shoulder and tear its guns off with your bare hands". It's okay to do it once, it's not okay to do it four times.
- Side missions really should not be optional. Since they are, nothing important can actually happen during them, and there is no danger except a loading screen. Plus, if they're not optional you can do cool intros and outtros to them instead of "Hey all the bad guys are dead, yay!" fade to black.

Things that were actually good:
- Almost all of the dialogue.
- Weapons were cool and good, and having different weapons be good against different enemies is also cool and good, within reason.
- Side Missions were fun, if a bit repetitive.
- Space fights were awesome

I really enjoyed this one, and am really annoyed that apparently this is the one that ended up not performing well after years of future- and modern-based games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Strobe posted:

- The correct answer to "how do I destroy this walking tank" is not "jump on its shoulder and tear its guns off with your bare hands". It's okay to do it once, it's not okay to do it four times.

Ghost in the Shell fan spotted in the writing crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I wish the singleplayer was just Reyes and Ethan going on goofy space adventures. Ethan added some much needed comic relief for a series that is way too serious.

• Locked thread