Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Australia has some ridiculously hard/durable woods. Why would you use a crap one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JcDent posted:

Phew, made it through the backlog.

Does anyone care to explain how AEW&C planes work or what they do?

Simply put, you put a big rear end radar on a plane suitable to carry it, along with a number of operators to both track the radar and control friendly aircraft in the area. There are two big advantages to putting a large search radar on a plane:

1. Radar range increases as you raise the altitude of the radar, due to being able to see "over" the horizon. Same reason you put the radar at the top of the mast of a ship. This means that you can detect enemy threats from further out and direct interceptors onto them before they can do things like launch anti shipping missiles.

2. Having a plane with a big search radar nearby means you don't have to have your smaller planes broadcast their locations, since they can be directed onto targets by the AEW plane and only use their radar when they are prosecuting the target.

This is where the idea of a passive seeking "AWACS killer" missile comes from, the idea is that you shoot a long ranged air-to-air missile at the strongest radar source (which is probably the AWACS) to knock out the enemy's eyes in the sky. The missile also can't be detected easily since it's not broadcasting itself. The idea usually disappears due to technological issues with the concept though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MikeCrotch posted:

This is where the idea of a passive seeking "AWACS killer" missile comes from, the idea is that you shoot a long ranged air-to-air missile at the strongest radar source (which is probably the AWACS) to knock out the enemy's eyes in the sky. The missile also can't be detected easily since it's not broadcasting itself. The idea usually disappears due to technological issues with the concept though.

What is the technological issues with this technology? It sounds neat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Boiled Water posted:

What is the technological issues with this technology? It sounds neat.

I can't answer, but I know both Russia and China withdrew funding for their programs eventually, so it must have not worked for some reason.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Is some SEAD HARM missile not maneuverable enough or too big?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JcDent posted:

Is some SEAD HARM missile not maneuverable enough or too big?

A HARM is designed for the task of engaging a static, radar equipped emplacement and is probably totally useless for engaging a moving airbourne target.

As for size, it's likely that an AWACS killer would need to be even bigger than a HARM due to the long ranges required, since to kill an AWACS you want to shoot it from far enough away that its defenders can't shoot you back easily. Otherwise, you could just use a regular air to air missile instead of a big, expensive passively guided one.

Big air to air missiles are generally kind of a pain in the rear end to carry and mount for the payoff - look at the F-14 and how often it actually used Phoenixes - and often require the plane to build from the ground up to accept them. The Russians might be able to fit one to the MiG-31, but even then it's not totally straightforward to interface a new missile (especially one with a novel method of tracking targets) with the aircraft's systems.

There is also the issue of using passive tracking to guide an air to air missile, which I suspect from how it hasn't really panned out is much more difficult to do than people expected. Plus, what happens if the AWACS turns its radar off like SAM sites under attack do? True you've temporarily neutralised it, but I highly doubt there is any chance of building a missile that can remember the previous location of the target like a HARM when the target is moving at several hundred knots, so the AWACS is potentially free to turn its radar back on shortly. And again this kind of missile is probably big and expensive, so it's unlikely you have a big stock of them if that happens,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

The sea gives no gently caress, and does not give back her dead. Once you've figured out something that works, you tend to stick with it; the "move fast and break things" approach to innovation isn't very popular when it comes to poo poo whose failure mode is "in seven years, your next of kind can file to have you declared presumed dead."

That kind of attitude makes senses, but it tends to affect sailor's thinking once they've moved ashore, in my experience. This is probably why a lot of innovation in the maritime domain come from non maritime sources (e.g. Brunard), or come very slowly.

On the naval side, once things start to move, they move pretty fast - just look at the introduction of the Dreadnought in the 1900's. We also have in mind however that building a ship takes a few years, so there's a significant lag there too.

It's amazing what the word dreadnought does to this thread!

I know about the time-keeping/latitude thing but that seems to be more of a navigation issue to me, so I get why the ancient Athenians never sailed to Bolivia (or did they!?!?!). What I was getting at more was were the kinds of advances seen in the age of sail only particularly useful for transoceanic voyaging or Why Didn't The Romans Develop Tall Ships? Or am I just overvaluing the highly romanticized period of the age of sail vs. ancient ships and a ship-of-the-line absent gunpowder cannons just not that much better than a trireme or whatever the Phoencians used.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Well, the compass is a big loving deal. Transatlantic voyages predate the sextant but that really helped make it easier to hit a specific destination.

The 16 th C is also when people start to finally figure out scurvy.

Politics is also a huge part of it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
You kind of have to think of over-the-horizon sailing in the same terms as space travel today...with a few exceptions it was a completely new thing for humanity and doing it in a way that made the risks in any way acceptable took a long, long time.

Tias posted:

I can't answer, but I know both Russia and China withdrew funding for their programs eventually, so it must have not worked for some reason.

The biggest tech hurdle is just being able to communicate with the missile over these super-long distances with enough speed and reliability to give it a reasonable chance of being within its envelope for terminal homing. You have to be able to overcome persistent and very effective EW/jamming over hundreds of kms, while also maintaining some sort of position on the target, both of which are a big ask for an airborne platform.

I think ultimately, at least in the case of the Russians, that they found ground-based interceptors were a better solution; India is still working on it.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 4, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

You kind of have to think of over-the-horizon sailing in the same terms as space travel today...with a few exceptions it was a completely new thing for humanity and doing it in a way that made the risks in any way acceptable took a long, long time.

Yep, just look at the way it birthed joint stock companies and insurance as the only way to stay in business when one ship sinks, one is waylaid by pirates, one disappears completely, and the fourth comes back packed full of spice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

A HARM is designed for the task of engaging a static, radar equipped emplacement and is probably totally useless for engaging a moving airbourne target.

As for size, it's likely that an AWACS killer would need to be even bigger than a HARM due to the long ranges required, since to kill an AWACS you want to shoot it from far enough away that its defenders can't shoot you back easily. Otherwise, you could just use a regular air to air missile instead of a big, expensive passively guided one.

Big air to air missiles are generally kind of a pain in the rear end to carry and mount for the payoff - look at the F-14 and how often it actually used Phoenixes - and often require the plane to build from the ground up to accept them. The Russians might be able to fit one to the MiG-31, but even then it's not totally straightforward to interface a new missile (especially one with a novel method of tracking targets) with the aircraft's systems.

There is also the issue of using passive tracking to guide an air to air missile, which I suspect from how it hasn't really panned out is much more difficult to do than people expected. Plus, what happens if the AWACS turns its radar off like SAM sites under attack do? True you've temporarily neutralised it, but I highly doubt there is any chance of building a missile that can remember the previous location of the target like a HARM when the target is moving at several hundred knots, so the AWACS is potentially free to turn its radar back on shortly. And again this kind of missile is probably big and expensive, so it's unlikely you have a big stock of them if that happens,

This talk about large missiles reminds me of the Taurus-class bunker-busters our Tornados and Eurofighters can carry. We don't really need our 600 fancy air to ground cruise missiles right now, but it's nice to have them in an emergency, I guess.

I assume the US and other states also have missiles like that, but I don't know much about them besides what I saw in Hollywood-movies. What is the US using to destroy bunkers?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Still catching up on Cold War thread, but I wanted to harp in something they mention about once a year: people lose poo poo over lost fixed wing (fighter) pilots a lot more than over downed helos (full of marines) is because a fighter jet is a symbol of American technological superiority that's whittled from the bones of Uncle Sam and clad in Bald Eagle feathers, while the fighter pilot is a shining knight on the sky. If the American fighter can't kill everything that dares to fly against it, from the tiniest sparrow to archangel Michael, then America and freedom are vulnerable, and that's unacceptable.

Meanwhile, helicopters, especially Chinooks and Black Hawks are just these flying lumps of stuff that isn't bleeding futuretech that is in every way better than what dirtfarmers can musters. Also, they fall down all the time, clearly something like that wouldn't happen to the destined defender of liberty, capitalism and evangelical protestantism. They also carry around infantry, and outside of highly publicized single cases of capture and torture, infantry is kind of boring, weak and bland.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ahh, so nobles, defenders of Christendom, fly fighters. Peasants get a ride on lumps of machinery prone to failure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I know about the time-keeping/latitude thing but that seems to be more of a navigation issue to me, so I get why the ancient Athenians never sailed to Bolivia (or did they!?!?!). What I was getting at more was were the kinds of advances seen in the age of sail only particularly useful for transoceanic voyaging or Why Didn't The Romans Develop Tall Ships? Or am I just overvaluing the highly romanticized period of the age of sail vs. ancient ships and a ship-of-the-line absent gunpowder cannons just not that much better than a trireme or whatever the Phoencians used.

Why would the Romans as a Mediterranean power need them? They could already reach West Africa and Scandinavia and mostly didn't bother. Also as currently discussed in the ancient history thread, unlike the Phoenicians and the Greeks they weren't culturally that keen on sailing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

After the costly occupation of Britain which had really meagre political and economic rewards the Romans were way warier of expansionist adventures as well.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Plutonis posted:

After the costly occupation of Britain which had really meagre political and economic rewards the Romans were way warier of expansionist adventures as well.

What made it so costly? Did the Romans expect the occupation to bring greater rewards than it did and if so, why did they miscalculate? Why couldn't they simply withdraw early on, like what happened with Armenia and Mesopotamia when Hadrian became emperor?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Australia has some ridiculously hard/durable woods. Why would you use a crap one?

it kept breaking the saws :negative:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

zoux posted:

I'm not a naval expert, but this is my understanding.

You need a very different design for ships intended to paddle around the Mediterranean and for actually oceanworthy ships. The Mediterranean is a fairly placid sea, while a real ocean has a lot more wind and currents and so forth.As a result, the design of the Phoenician/Greek/whoever ships was probably more unstable and much more muscle-powered("trireme" refers to 3 banks of oars), rather than wind-powered. I'm not sure they necessarily needed a large advance in technology(although I think there were some with regard to being able to control the sails), but if you took a quinquereme out into that atlantic it would probably sink and I'm pretty sure it couldn't possibly sail across because the design just wasn't compatible.

Kopijeger posted:

What made it so costly? Did the Romans expect the occupation to bring greater rewards than it did and if so, why did they miscalculate? Why couldn't they simply withdraw early on, like what happened with Armenia and Mesopotamia when Hadrian became emperor?

They never really pacified Wales and the northern areas, so they had to deal with lots of raids and revolts or leave a large standing army there, and that's ignoring pirates and raiders from Ireland and Germania(where Germania refers to anything to the east that the Romans didn't control). As for not withdrawing, the Romans really really didn't like withdrawing. It was hard for Hadrian to sell retreating, and part of the reason he'd been able to manage was because it hadn't really been conquered yet, just occupied. When Aurelian backed out of Dacia(a province that had been conquered around the same time as Britannia), it was incredibly unpopular, even though having this province on the other side of the Danube made the defensive lines much harder and the silver mines were exhausted by that point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The romans Greeks et al had a lot more than just triremes. Sails were very much used even by boats with oars. They were also active outside the med.

One major innovation I forgot earlier was the rudder. That was medieval tech.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

Didn't the norse make it to the Americas using ships not all that unlike what the Romans had?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

It's not often mentioned, but HMS Victorious served briefly with the USN in the Pacific during the dark period in early 1943 when Saratoga was the only operational fleet carrier.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The romans Greeks et al had a lot more than just triremes. Sails were very much used even by boats with oars. They were also active outside the med.

Wrecks of Greek (etc) merchant ships—fat round sail-powered vessels—have been among the most productive marine archaeology sites. I want to say Texas A&M has a salvaged and restored one on display.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Didn't the norse make it to the Americas using ships not all that unlike what the Romans had?

Yes they did. But you can island-hop from Scandinavia to Newfoundland and never have to be at sea for more than a few hundred miles (a couple of days, albeit very damp and chilly ones). People have crossed the Atlantic on fantastically unsuitable boats if they've got lucky with the weather. There's certainly no technical reason why something like a Roman merchant ship couldn't get to North America - Colombus did it with caravels that were no bigger (50-70 feet long). And while caravels had a much more efficient sail arrangement they weren't drastically more seaworthy - the Med isn't quite a placid inland lake it's sometimes made out to be. It can have severe tidal flows in some spots and fierce wind such as the sirocco and gregale. The Romans ceased commercial shipping on the Med during the winter because of the weather conditions - from an official, rather than an actual, standpoint at least. It's where the phrase mare clausum comes from.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Why would the Romans as a Mediterranean power need them? They could already reach West Africa and Scandinavia and mostly didn't bother. Also as currently discussed in the ancient history thread, unlike the Phoenicians and the Greeks they weren't culturally that keen on sailing.

I'm assuming bigger and faster ships are always going to be in demand. Maybe I'm operating under some misconceptions, because I'm assuming that Age of Sail ships and crews are at the pinnacle of sea-worthiness and seamanship without synthetic materials or computer modelling or whatever. So were classical era ships not much worse than them in terms of speed and size when operating littorally?

Also how restricted to littoral waters was classical era shipping? If you wanted to go from say Cyrene to Sicilia, did they just go in a straight line there or did they have to hug the African coast all the way up to Carthage?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

This, if you've already walked all the way to rainy fascist angry celt island and it hasn't gone super well for you, would you be very motivated to try sailing west into the, for all you knew, infinite ocean?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

This, if you've already walked all the way to rainy fascist angry celt island and it hasn't gone super well for you, would you be very motivated to try sailing west into the, for all you knew, infinite ocean?
some greek dude went north instead and went to thule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm assuming bigger and faster ships are always going to be in demand. Maybe I'm operating under some misconceptions, because I'm assuming that Age of Sail ships and crews are at the pinnacle of sea-worthiness and seamanship without synthetic materials or computer modelling or whatever.

Not in the Med, where galleys were still a big thing up until Lepanto in the Early Modern for example. Oars have their advantages and you don't necessarily need long distance ocean going ships.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm assuming bigger and faster ships are always going to be in demand. Maybe I'm operating under some misconceptions, because I'm assuming that Age of Sail ships and crews are at the pinnacle of sea-worthiness and seamanship without synthetic materials or computer modelling or whatever. So were classical era ships not much worse than them in terms of speed and size when operating littorally?

Also how restricted to littoral waters was classical era shipping? If you wanted to go from say Cyrene to Sicilia, did they just go in a straight line there or did they have to hug the African coast all the way up to Carthage?

as has already been said a few times the major limitations are navigational, not structural issues with the boats themselves.

The sea is really loving big and if you lose sight of land you can be really, really hosed if you don't have a good way to figure out where the gently caress you are and how to get to where you are going. The compass and sextant are a BIG loving DEAL when it comes to sailing out of sight of land.

There were certainly advances made in shipbuilding between Rome and Admiral Nelson. The rudder, all sorts of improvements in rigging sails, deeper more sicentific understandings of what makes ships stable and speedy in water, etc. That doesn't diminish the fact that a 18th century frigate that had no way of telling which way it was pointing or where it was in the middle of the ocean would be a very hosed boat indeed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

as has already been said a few times the major limitations are navigational, not structural issues with the boats themselves.

The sea is really loving big and if you lose sight of land you can be really, really hosed if you don't have a good way to figure out where the gently caress you are and how to get to where you are going. The compass and sextant are a BIG loving DEAL when it comes to sailing out of sight of land.

There were certainly advances made in shipbuilding between Rome and Admiral Nelson. The rudder, all sorts of improvements in rigging sails, deeper more sicentific understandings of what makes ships stable and speedy in water, etc. That doesn't diminish the fact that a 18th century frigate that had no way of telling which way it was pointing or where it was in the middle of the ocean would be a very hosed boat indeed.

Also, preserving food and water.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The largest naval battle ever fought in the Baltic Sea was the second battle of Svensksund fought in 1790 and galleys were still an important part of both Russian and Swedish navies.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Just because kon-tiki made it from Peru to Fiji doesn't mean the Incas ever did. The surety of knowing something is out there is hard to understate.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

that's why these things were so important back then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutter_(nautical)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

The largest naval battle ever fought in the Baltic Sea was the second battle of Svensksund fought in 1790 and galleys were still an important part of both Russian and Swedish navies.
galleys were a thing into the 19th c

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Romans didn't have much of a need for bigger and badder ships post-Carthage because they were the only game in the Med. All you need is local coast guards to keep the pirates down.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Was there a first contact doctrine by europeans during exploration of the Americas like did Spanish monarchs tell Spanish explorers " yo if you see natives kill em all and take their stuff?"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Were ships during the age of sail even all that safe? I know disease would kill crews like crazy, but was it common for the ships to just wreck/sink/vanish? Seems like they probably would be, but I guess comparing the safety record against Mediterranean shipping would be tough owing to a lack of records.

KildarX posted:

Was there a first contact doctrine by europeans during exploration of the Americas like did Spanish monarchs tell Spanish explorers " yo if you see natives kill em all and take their stuff?"

Not during Columbus' original journey. Once he got to the Americas the Spaniards started kidnapping and enslaving the locals like crazy, and the Spanish monarchs told them to stop enslaving the locals; the response from the colonialists was basically "nah we're gonna keep doing it".

e: Also, that user name... :crossarms:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It actually enraged me as a kid for some reason watching a documentary on Pizarro's conquest of the Inca where he read a letter from the King of Spain going "Yo, so yeah, the Emperor of the Inca is a Sovereign like me, I'd like if it you treated him as though he were me." and Pizarro's reaction was basically to go "Meh" and tortured and killed him anyways.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It actually enraged me as a kid for some reason watching a documentary on Pizarro's conquest of the Inca where he read a letter from the King of Spain going "Yo, so yeah, the Emperor of the Inca is a Sovereign like me, I'd like if it you treated him as though he were me." and Pizarro's reaction was basically to go "Meh" and tortured and killed him anyways.

Pizarro strikes me as a guy who would gladly kill the King of Spain and take all his stuff, had that option been on the table.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Were ships during the age of sail even all that safe? I know disease would kill crews like crazy, but was it common for the ships to just wreck/sink/vanish?

Yes it was, but that didn't mean that people didn't sail, and sail a lot. Someone compared pre-industrial oceanic sea travel to space travel and the analogy works here: space travel is an inherently risky business that can quickly become disastrous if something even relatively small goes wrong. But we managed to send people to the moon on an annual basis with only one fatal disaster and one major near-disaster. There were 135 shuttle missions, two of which ended in disaster.

The age of sail was similar - there were a lot of shipwrecks, deaths and disappearances but there were a lot of ships out there on the sea. If it wasn't at least a decently reliable way of getting from place to place no-one would have done it. Even today the sea is a hostile environment, and that's with steel ships, diesel engines and GPS. Back then scores of ships did just disappear, with only an 'Overdue' listing in the local papers to mark its passing. But many times that number successfully made their voyages again and again.

It's a matter of 'IFs'. IF a wooden sailing ship accurately knew where it was, IF the weather was cooperative (and those crewing it had a decent idea of what the weather was going), IF the ship's structure and rigging was in good condition and IF the crew hadn't been laid out by scurvy, cholera or dysentry then everything was fine.

But many perfectly good ships ran aground because they were miles off course (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scilly_naval_disaster_of_1707), because the wind blew from the wrong direction and sent them onto a lee shore, or were caught by a squall or storm they had no way of predicting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Charter_(ship)).

So understanding the causes of scurvy and other diseases, the invention of the chronometer, the establishment of scientific meteorology, the invention of the steam engine and iron hulls etc. etc. all massively improved the safety of sea travel but it wasn't exactly a death sentence in the age of sail and it's hardly risk-free today. Before the mid-19th century no-one went to sea unless they absolutely had to. It's only when sea travel began to become routinely safe, courtesy of steam engines and steel hulls, that the whole 'Romance of the Age of Sail' nostalgia kicks in and you get people going sailing and yachting for fun

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

P-Mack posted:

Pizarro strikes me as a guy who would gladly kill the King of Spain and take all his stuff, had that option been on the table.

I feel this is a fair characterization

In the cold war thread somehow we're on a tangent on the competence of the RN before the 20th century. Some wikipedia links have been posted, and let me tell you friends, there's some *stuff* in there:

SimonCat posted:

I looked up the article about Camperdown. This sentence about the captain is amazing:

"A taciturn and difficult man to his subordinate officers, Tryon habitually avoided explaining his intentions to them, to accustom them to handle unpredictable situations."

Antti posted:

Re: Camperdown, I tried to figure out what Tryon thought he was going to do with the orders. It looks to me like he wanted to turn two parallel lines of ships to port together, keeping the formation, but hosed up the orders and ordered the ships to turn into each other instead. So instead of both lines going port, he ordered the left one to go starboard and the right one to go port.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Massie's Dreadnought has the best account - lot of parallels to modern day disasters like Fairchild:

"In June 1893, Tyron took the fleet, consisting of eight battleships and five cruisers, to the eastern Mediterranean. Tyron flew his flag in H.M.S. Victoria and Markham flew his in H.M.S. Camperdown. On June 23 the fleet, which was anchored off Beirut, weighed anchor and went to sea for exercises. It was a bright sunny day, with clear visibility and a calm sea. By mid-afternoon, the ships were steaming in two columns, 1,200 yards apart. At two-twenty p.m. Tyron hoisted a signal for the next maneuver: the vessels were to change formation, passing through each other's columns by turning inward towards each other. Immediately, there were questions throughout the fleet. With the ships steaming at nine knots only 1,200 yards apart and the turning radius of some of the ships at that speed as much as 1,600 yards, the margin of safety seemed nonexistent. Captain Gerard Noel of the battleship Nile, immediately astern of Tyron, said: "I thought we had taken it [the signal] wrong." He asked for a repeat, which was given. "I still thought there was something wrong," he said later.

At three thirty-seven p.m., Tyron signaled that his command was to be executed: "Second division alter course in succession 16 points to starboard" and "First division alter course in succession 16 points to port." Captain Arthur Moore of the battleship Dreadnought, immediately behind Victoria and Nile, told his officers: "Now we shall see something interesting." He meant that although the situation seemed perilous and he couldn't understand it, he assumed that the audacious Tyron had some trick up his sleeve. On board the flagship Victoria her captain, Maurice Bourke, standing next to the Admiral, was uneasy. He knew that the maneuver would take his ship very close to Camperdown. To indicate his fears, he had already loudly asked a midshipman on the bridge to sing out the distance to the Camperdown. But when his own second in command, Victoria's commander, urged him to speak to the Admiral, Bourke angrily told him to be silent. To question Tyron, one needed a braver man than Bourke.

On Camperdown, Admiral Markham could have issued orders which would have saved the situation. Markham was a competent officer and later behaved heroically on an expedition to the Arctic. But he was outweighed not only in rank, but in experience of seamanship. His first reaction when Tyron's original signal was reported to him was "It's impossible. It's an impossible maneuver." He asked the admiral to confirm the order. Instead, Victoria signaled impatiently, "What are you waiting for?" This was a public rebuke, witnessed by the entire fleet, which Markham could not ignore. Along with Victoria, Camperdown put her helm over and the two ships headed for each other, their heavy rams gliding beneath the water like giant knife blades.

It became obvious what was going to happen. "We shall be very close to that ship, sir," Bourke forced himself to say. Tyron stood frozen in silence, his eyes on the approaching Camperdown. "May I go astern with the port engine?" asked Bourke. Tyron remained silent and turned to look at the ships behind him. "May I go astern full speed with the port screw?" appealed Bourke. Tyron turned to look again at the Camperdown, now only 450 yards away. "Yes," he finally said. Bourke then cried, "Full astern both engines!" and followed immediately with "Close all water-tight doors!" Both orders had already been given on the Camperdown.

Tyron was as convinced of his own infallibility as his officers were; perhaps he simply thought that his ships could not collide. As Camperdown's ram struck Victoria on her starboard bow, the Admiral was heard to murmur, "It's all my fault." Both ships were still making five or six knots, and the impact of the blow forced Victoria seventy feet sideways in the water. She was mortally wounded: Camperdown's ram, twelve feet beneath the water, had penetrated nine feet into Victoria's innards. With both ships still moving, Camperdown's ram, like a giant can opener, tore a wider gap as it wrenched free. When the ships came apart, the flagship had a hole nearly thirty feet across below the waterline through which water rushed into the ship. Most of the watertight doors were open on that hot Mediterranean afternoon and the command to close them had come too late. Victoria began to sink by the bow and heel over to starboard. Soon, the foredeck was awash and the fore turret rose likes a steel island from the sea. Twelve minutes after the collision, the battleship rolled over and went down, bow first. Of a crew of almost seven hundred officers and men, 358 went down with the ship. Tyron went with them. One survivor was the Victoria's second in command, Commander John Jellicoe, who had spent the day in bed with a fever of 103 degrees. On feeling the impact, Jellicoe had gone to the bridge and from there, down the side into the water.

Twenty-two of the ship's fifty-one officers were drowned along with the admiral. The other twenty-nine were court-martialed, along with Rear Admiral Markham. All were acquitted, although Markham's career ceased to prosper. The grounds of his acquittal were that "it would be fatal to the best interests of the service to say that he was to blame for carrying out the orders of the Commander-in-Chief present in person."

Turn-of-the-century RN in a nutshell :britain:

"As a midshipman, I was often told that it was not my duty to think but only to obey," wrote Vice Admiral K.G.B. Dewar of his years as a cadet and midshipman in.the middle nineties.

Godholio posted:

That's what I was thinking, too. It seems like the kind of thing a man with his command style might do. "Here's my ship/line doing its thing; your job is to find a way to obey my order."

Instead, this is what happened:

Victoria in red, Camperdown in blue

PittTheElder posted:

Good lord it's like some sort of comedy sketch:

"At 0200 hours on 30 May 1906 during radio communication trials carried out in thick fog, Montagu was steaming at high speed in the Bristol Channel when she ran into Shutter Rock on the southwest corner of Lundy Island. The force of impact was so great that her foremast was raked forward. The ship settled hard aground, with many holes in her hull, the worst of which was a 91-foot (28 m) long gash in her starboard side.[11]

A pilot cutter cruising in the vicinity of Lundy Island had encountered Montagu a short time earlier. The battleship had stopped engines, come abreast, and hailed from the bridge requesting a distance and bearing for Hartland Point on the mainland of England. Though the cutter supplied these accurately, the voice from the battleship's bridge replied that they must be wrong and that the pilot cutter must have lost her bearings. As Montagu restarted her engines and began to move ahead, the cutter shouted back that on her present course Montagu would be on Shutter Rock within ten minutes, and a short time later the sound of the battleship running aground carried through the fog.[12]

The battleship's captain, believing Montagu was aground at Hartland Point, sent a party on a rowing boat to the north, instructing them to contact the Hartland Point Lighthouse. They instead got to the North light on Lundy Island, where officers asked the lighthouse keeper to inform the British Admiralty that they were aground south of Hartland Point. An argument ensued with the keeper over where they were until he pointed out he knew what lighthouse he kept.[13]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's like the "i'm a ship, i'm a lighthouse" joke but real