Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
wow the redskins suck

e: can't they see Rob Kelley is 10x better than Thompson!!!!

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I thought that was really weird they basically didn't play him the second half. He was drat near the only one doing anything in the first half.

I'm pretty happy with their decision.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Division 2 supremacy

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I feel good about my future in this league.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

I feel good about my future in this league.

That's how I felt last year after getting no where, but having the most points for. I just ran it back and it's working out.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You both can eat a dick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL well, congrats to the winners, condolences to the losers (including me). This is it, the finals! Someone's going to have a very nice Christmas bonus.

Team McLean and Ash Ketchum are both in the guaranteed money. Winner gets $160, second place gets $80. As the #5 seed, Team McLean was the longshot entry into the championship round, so this is a big upset already.

BRICK SQUAD and the Chefs are playing for third and fourth place. Winner gets $40, loser gets NOTHING.

The Cougars and Hunters are playing for fifth place and the consolation bracket championship. Winner gets $20, loser gets NOTHING. The Hawk Hunters were seeded sixth into the consolation bracket (11th overall) so that is another big upset! Goes to show even a 4-9 team can potentially compete for prize money.

The rest of us get NOTHING. Nothing but pain and remorse.

After the games are over, I'll be waiting for final stat adjustments if any of them are close, so probably I'll be paying out to the winners later in the week next week.

Last year, I let winners apply winnings to their next year's dues, if they wanted. This year I'd rather just pay out in full, because I'm not 100% sure what the dues are going to be - MFL gave us a discount last year, this year there might be discounts available for early re-registration, and we'll be apportioning that. I also like that everyone who wants to keep playing in the league has to be awake enough to pay dues as we approach draft day.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tyler said he is going to use his winnings to ship everyone in the league a four-pack of Heady Topper.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
y'all are lucky I didn't make the finals cause I woulda wrecked it this week

my bench killed it too

and yes please I'll take some heady topper. I haven't had any since my roommate from VT moved out

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

y'all are lucky I didn't make the finals cause I woulda wrecked it this week

my bench killed it too

Me too except the opposite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well, with all started players scored, we know that Ash Ketchum Gotta catch em has won the league title, crushing Team McClean 172-118! No amount of stat corrections are going to close that gap, so congrats to our 2016 season champ, Swarmin Swedes! Atomictyler takes second place.

1017 BRICK SQUAD has also ruined the hopes of the Gridiron Chefs, finishing at 168 to a measly 80. The Chefs got hosed by most of their roster, with Burfict and Houston both being ruled Out before gametime, Demaryius Thomas and Jamison Crowder having the worst games of their entire seasons, and most of his other players being held to mediocre performances. The Fantasy gods just didn't want you to place in the money, Chen, sorry about that. But congrats to Stevie Lee for a third-place, in-the-money finish!

The last game that matters is the Hawk Hunters vs. Mediocre Cougars for the consolation bracket championship and fifth place position. The Hunters lead by 154-109, but the Cougars still have one player left - Golden Tate plays the Cowboys tomorrow night, and while a 45-point performance would be pretty insane, it's not completely impossible... especially given the Cowboys have already clinched their division, while the Lions want a win to try and secure a playoff spot (regardless they have to beat the Packers next week to win the NFC North, but it'd be better for them to go into that game already sure of at least a wildcard.) The Cowboys have the #1 seed and a first-week bye already in hand, so maybe they'll not try so hard and Golden Tate will have a monster game???

OK probably not, but I'll wait till the final score before officially settling the final standings.

The rest of us obviously had just meaningless matchups or whatever and who cares. The fact that I should have started Kaep against the Rams is hilarious but of no consequence, as is my decision to put in Jeremy Maclin after I found out Lamar Miller was out, when literally any of my other WR/RB options would have been better, and despite the Chiefs blowing out the Broncos. What happened to you, Maclin, you used to be cool.

Anyway, merry christmas, everyone. Winners check in with me via email to confirm the email address you want me to paypal your winnings to and I'll pay out to everyone this week. My user name at gmail dot com.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Both LBs were late scratches and Buffalo already played, so there went 2 guys expected to put up 30 pts between them. Others underperformed but chances are against that 168 I would have had trouble getting there on a great day so thems the breaks.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
313 points between my bench and starters :eyepop:

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
My team decided it didn't feel like playing this week.

So much for the heady topper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK!

So, I've turned off waivers (for some reason there was still one week of waivers planned). I think you should still be free to drop any players you want, and move players on/off IR/Taxi, but you should not be able to add anyone until we do our next draft.

Per rule 3.1.2.2, we normally have an offseason "lock" during which rosters can't be modified (no drops, no adds, no trades, no moves). 3.1.2.2.1 requires a week's notice in advance of the offseason lock. Unless anyone has an objection, I therefore plan to lock all of the teams starting Wed., January 4th.

Per rules 4.4 and 4.5, here is our 2017 draft order:

The first four picks will be randomly assigned to the bottom four finishers from the regular season (tiebreakers based on Points For at the end of Week 13): Who Da Titoons (Metapod), BALLS OF FURY (therealVECNAmfers), First Down Syndrome (Spermy Smurf), and I'm Pretty Garbage At This (Bloody).
The next three picks will be randomly assigned to the next three finishers from the regular season (week 13 tiebreakers): Mediocre Cougars (The Zack), Concord Concordes (Leperflesh), and Second Round Kickers (Epi Lepi).
Pick 8 goes to the 5th place team (the consolation bracket winner), Hawk Hunters (Hixalot)
Pick 9 goes to the 4th place team: Gridiron Chefs (Chen Kenichi)
Pick 10 goes to the 3rd place team: 1017 BRICK SQUAD (Stevie Lee)
Pick 11 goes to the 2nd place team: Team McLean (Atomictyler)
Pick 12 goes to the 1st place team: Ash Ketchum (Swarmin Swedes)

Congrats in particular to Hixalot: the Hawk Hunters finished the regular season with a 4-9 record, second-worst in the league, but still pulled off three postseason upsets to grab a $20 consolation prize and a much worse draft position, :haw:!

Unless anyone has an objection, I'll go ahead and generate the random seeding for the first seven picks. I just assign the teams numbers, and then use an online random dice roller to roll off the picks. It'll be useful to have those picks assigned sooner rather than later, so that owners can both plan their rookie/free agent draft, and potentially trade picks as needed.

After I lock the rosters, I think it'd be good to collect up the various rule change proposals that have been made over the season, as well as brainstorm any other rule changes anyone might have. Last season a lot of owners kind of checked out during the summer: it'll be better if we can discuss rule changes while all twelve owners are still paying attention.

Finally, if you are one of the top three teams or the winner of the consolation bracket, please email me at my username at gmail dot com with the email address you want me to paypal your winnings to. I'd like to get the $300 sent out quickly if possible.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

atomictyler posted:

My team decided it didn't feel like playing this week.

So much for the heady topper.

If you are still in for shipping I will donate the winnings for heady topper.

Swarmin Swedes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 27, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yes, please figure out the draft order. There is a big diff in 1.04 and 1.01 when I am trying to find a quarterback who doesnt suck in the offseason.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Congrats Ash Ketchum!

Go me for the second straight year starting out dog poo poo and finishing on a hot streak?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Swarmin Swedes posted:

If you are still in for shipping I will donate the winnings for heady topper.

Next trip that's made there I'll grab you a four pack. Want focal banger too?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Finally, if you are one of the top three teams or the winner of the consolation bracket, please email me at my username at gmail dot com with the email address you want me to paypal your winnings to. I'd like to get the $300 sent out quickly if possible.

I still owe money to two of you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

first pick: 1: Titoons, 2: BALLS, 3: Syndrome, 4: Garbage: 1d4 1

Titoons gets pick #1.

2nd pick: 1: BALLS, 2: Syndrome, 3: Garbage: 1d3 1

BALLS gets pick #2.

third pick: 1: Syndrome, 2: Garbage: 1d2 1

Syndrome gets pick #3

Garbage gets pick #4

fifth pick: 1: Cougars, 2: Concordes, 3: Kickers: 1d3 2

Concordes gets pick #5

sixth pick: 1: Cougars, 2: Kickers: 1d2 2

Kickers gets pick #6

Cougars get pick #7.

Audit of all the rolls for this league

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The tab "2017 draft picks" on our spreadsheet shows all of the draft picks. You will recall the first two rounds are fixed in the order I determined on this page; thereafter, they snake. You can trade draft picks only after paying your 2017 dues.

Is there anyone thinking of dropping out for next year? It's better to do it earlier rather than later, so that a replacement owner can be found and that owner can participate in rules discussions during the offseason.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Fuckin 1.03? God damnit, I continue to unintentionally tank to get better picks you keep loving me with the random dice rolls.

Grrr.

Will trade 1.03 for 1.01 or 1.02. Not at a computer, but will send out offers soon.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 2, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol

Just as a reminder, here's the cost of draft picks, as currently set in Rule 7.3:
pre:
Salary of drafted players is determined based on their selection position, as follows:
The first four picks in the first round are paid $20
The fifth through eighth picks are paid $18
The ninth through twelfth picks are paid $16
All players drafted in the second round are paid $8
All players drafted in the third round are paid $4
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $2
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1
e. Oh, you meant, trade up for 1.1 or 1.2 by including players in the trade. I thought maybe you just wanted a flat swap of picks.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Can I drop one of my players to waivers and put my injured reserve guy (Abdullah) back on my team?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah you can drop guys, just no adds or trades.

I am gonna lock everything tonight, though, per my post last week.

e. Actually I don't see anything wrong with allowing trades during the offseason, does anyone else?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah you can drop guys, just no adds or trades.

I am gonna lock everything tonight, though, per my post last week.

e. Actually I don't see anything wrong with allowing trades during the offseason, does anyone else?

I'm good with allowing off-season trades.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Offseason trades fine in my mind.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Same here

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Yeah I think offseason trades should be allowed.

I would also like to propose a team composition change if that's okay.

I think we should add another Linebacker Slot. Even with 12 people there are a lot of quality LBs out there so that hanging on to one in particular seems pointless. This might just be my bias cause I'm obsessed with IDP but I feel like adding another slot will make the position more meaningful. It would make it so more people would flex positions other than LB as well, again making the position more meaningful, and IDP more meaningful as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah I think offseason trades should be allowed.

I would also like to propose a team composition change if that's okay.

I think we should add another Linebacker Slot. Even with 12 people there are a lot of quality LBs out there so that hanging on to one in particular seems pointless. This might just be my bias cause I'm obsessed with IDP but I feel like adding another slot will make the position more meaningful. It would make it so more people would flex positions other than LB as well, again making the position more meaningful, and IDP more meaningful as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

I actually like this idea over messing with the scoring. If you increase demand they might be meaningful to keep.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I tend to flex a safety rather than a linebacker for the upside potential, but I would not be opposed to adding another LB slot.

I do think based on the last couple years' experience that we need to adjust the IDP scoring. Probably to reduce the huge swinginess that happens esp. with defensive backs. We've talked about maybe reducing points for tackles a little, but I'm worried about what that will do to DL scoring, since that position relies more heavily on tackles and less on the other IDP scoring options.

I wonder what you guys would think of adding another bench slot? I found it very tough to carry more than one spare IDP guy without severely impacting my WR/RB/QB depth. I know some of you carried two or even three IDP spare players through the season, but I think that had a negative effect on your other position depth.

Another thing we intended to discuss this offseason is the possibility of weekly prizes. They could be minor things - a few bucks, a bonus draft pick, or some trinket or whatever - but basically incentives that help engage owners every week even when they're having a bad season. The key thing is to not just wind up rewarding the teams that are already out front automatically - so stuff like "whoever got the highest points this week" is kind of crap, that guy already got rewarded by having a win plus improving their season tiebreaker. Much better are things like "most improvement from the previous week" or "highest scoring waiver wire pickup" or "highest score by a sub-.500 team" or "closest loss" (whoever lost their match by the fewest points). All stuff that even a 2-7 team can potentially contend for through good team management.

Finally, I propose the following changes to our taxi squad system rules, found in section 9 of our rulebook:

1: An owner can only try to steal one player from another owner's taxi squad in any given week. (That means you can try to steal from three different owners simultaneously, but only one player from each.)
2: Rule 9.9.1 currently says you notify the owner, plus the three commissioners. In practice, it's easier to just notify everyone. So I propose to change the rule to say that you have to both post in this thread, and, sent a message to the league. That should be easier and less confusing.
3. Rule 9.9.3 uses the word "player" when it should be "owner". I'd like to fix that for clarity.
4. There should be a deadline after which taxi squad players can't be stolen. I suggest after the week 13 games (which is when playoffs are entirely settled).
5. Possibly there should be another restriction: I think it'd be fair to say that teams mathematically eliminated from playoff contention should not be allowed to steal taxi squad players. This prevents a "sour grapes" theft from a playoff-contending team just to screw with them, without regard to the actual startability of the taxi squad player. The intent of the taxi squad theft rules is to let a struggling team grab a startable player to help them win matches from another team that isn't using him - not to allow kingmaking or punitive thefts to punish rivals. I'm not suggesting that's actually happened, it's just an obvious exploit we haven't covered.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I hate this because I dropped all my defensive players (like Jamie Collins) to snag more WRs simply because there are a dozen other LBs on the wire to snag anytime you have a bye week.

However, it might be a good implementation. Bump rosters 1 slot. Bump required LB's being played to 2.

Or just add another "any defensive player" slot to the roster instead of forcing Linebackers? There's a million safeties/CBs out there too. gently caress, the 6th highest scoring S/CB is a free agent. And the 9th, then 11/12/13 as well.

The next highest Free Agent linebacker is 23rd yet he still has 13 more points than the 6th highest CB.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah there's a ton of talent on the wire for DBs and LBs, which like I said is why I rarely carry more than one backup IDP player. Adding another FLEX plus another bench slot would make a lot of sense to me.

Actually, I wonder if it's possible to segregate bench slots to be IDP-only and offense-only? If so, would you guys be interested in that?

And one other thing I just remembered: in another league, instead of one offensive FLEX slot that's RB/WR/TE, they have two: a WR/RB one and a WR/TE one. That means more of the deeper WR and RBs get started.

Oh, and if we add bench or starting slots to our rosters we might need to raise the salary cap accordingly, or else we'll be squeezing certain owners more than others.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
What about different values for tackles based on position?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Definitely doable with MFL, yes. You define scores in "sets" where you make a list of specific positions, and then apply a set of scoring rules. And there's a hojillion of scoring rules. So we could totally have specific IDP positions get more or fewer points for tackles, TFL, sacks, pass blocks, etc.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh, about the million rules MFL has.... one user on another forum suggested juat copy/pasting everything into the rules sheet as an addendum. Even if its not active, that way there cant be any rule issues about that.

We have a good crew here though so maybe its not needed.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I heard once that MFL can score QB Hits/Hurries. Is that true?

I remember I had Elvis Dumervil in an all IDP league two years ago and watching a game where the announcers were fellating him about how good he was at pressuring the QB but he made no statistically significant plays that game. At the time I thought that had he gotten some sort of score for hits/hurries he'd have had at least a mediocre game instead of a goose-egg.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Quarterback hits" is indeed an IDP scoring option. So is "Sacked a QB yardage" which lets you score points per yard back from the LOS the QB got sacked.

Another thing we might consider is that penalty yards are available for scoring: "Penalties" (as in, how many penalties) and "Penalty Yards" (as in, how many yards given up in the penalties).

And interestingly... "First Downs" is available.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh, about the million rules MFL has.... one user on another forum suggested juat copy/pasting everything into the rules sheet as an addendum. Even if its not active, that way there cant be any rule issues about that.

We have a good crew here though so maybe its not needed.

Our scoring rules are included in our rules document, although not using the exact terms/settings in MFL. Amazingly the html page doesn't let me copy/paste from the cell that contains the list of settings, but I bet I can "view source" and grab them from the raw markup if we want them. That said, anyone in the league can look at the scoring rules on MFL at any time, so I'm not sure I understand what this accomplishes?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Our scoring rules are included in our rules document, although not using the exact terms/settings in MFL. Amazingly the html page doesn't let me copy/paste from the cell that contains the list of settings, but I bet I can "view source" and grab them from the raw markup if we want them. That said, anyone in the league can look at the scoring rules on MFL at any time, so I'm not sure I understand what this accomplishes?

In the thread I saw that there was a discrepancy in the rules vs how scoring was set up in MFL which would have cost a playoff spot. The rules said "Go look at MFL settings for full scoring" and one of the guys had a crybaby meltdown.

We aren't a bunch of crybabies, so we're probably fine, but it would cut off any bullshit crybaby stuff if it were to happen in the future.