Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I dont "get" Los Ingobernables, but they seem super popular

My allegiance is to Bullet Club

Well it's something I had to look up too but especially Naito the entire ethos of them, Tranquilo, is not just antithesis to the fighting spirit of puro but it's acting as a criticism of Japanese culture and custom. In Japan your life is to be a salaryman and to work forever for your goals and to always give 100% in your passion. LIG are the exact opposite of that and are rebels against it, via nothing but dispassionate calm and taking their own time working for themselves so they appeal to the young Japanese who hate the system that was raised to work them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

Lid posted:

Well it's something I had to look up too but especially Naito the entire ethos of them, Tranquilo, is not just antithesis to the fighting spirit of puro but it's acting as a criticism of Japanese culture and custom. In Japan your life is to be a salaryman and to work forever for your goals and to always give 100% in your passion. LIG are the exact opposite of that and are rebels against it, via nothing but dispassionate calm and taking their own time working for themselves so they appeal to the young Japanese who hate the system that was raised to work them to death.

also Naito throws belts

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Lid posted:

Huh, never heard that before. Makes a lot of sense.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Lid posted:

What? NEVER was second only to the main.

IC title was the best match, followed by the main

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hace posted:

u r rong

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hace posted:

:same: but the other way round

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
At least the IC had the right person win.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Lid posted:

u r rong

i've never been more correct

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

St Evan Echoes posted:

:same: but the other way round

i liked the main but it was mostly a spot show by the end. the ic match had some real nice psychology imo.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

Hmm I'll take the one with the Too Sweets and the Suck Its

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
It's still fresh so I might be suffering from recency bias, but I think the main was my favorite match of the past few years.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The junior heavyweight, NEVER and IC matches were all equally incredible in their own right. Okada/Omega was better than all of them though.

Anyway. Apart from Cole (b/c O'Reilly's leaving ROH) and Cody (b/c it was his first match in the company I guess), Bullet Club was pretty much buried tonight. I mean, The Elite are in a good position here since RPG Vice didn't win clean and Omega was booked incredibly strongly tonight, but the Bullet Club as a whole was buried in favour of LIJ and Chaos. I hope this means The Elite are going to split off from the rest of the Bullet Club and leave Cody to take over the reigns, where they'll become an eternal lower-midcard act and The Elite will soar into perpetual main event glory.

Omega is owed a match for Naito's IC title since he won against him in the G1 last year, so I'm pretty sure he's going to go for that. Cody is probably going to go for Elgin because he's going to tick off every name on his lovely little list, and then he might go for Goto or something, I dunno. Shibata's probably going to go for the HC next since he doesn't have to worry about the NEVER title anymore, so he can aim for bigger things. The Bucks...well, they'll probably get a rematch.

NJPW's in a great position going forward.

e: https://twitter.com/wc_n7/status/816628584764833792

Ah. It's probably Cody/Shibata and Naito/Elgin going forward then. So who's going to challenge Okada and Omega?

e2: Tanahashi's probably going to get his win back over Kenny, isn't he? Bugger.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 4, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm so happy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

What? NEVER was second only to the main.

can't fairly rate main (just watched it on archives) but to me the NEVER was an excellent match but was exactly what I expected. Didn't know what the jr match was gonna be or if it was gonna be marred by bullshit but it ended up being the best jr match in that company i've seen in quite some time.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starting my awake watching. The Battle Royale is fun as hell. I can see why they do it as it's a great way to get the crowd in a happy mode. Also a great way to use older guys.

Is Corino meant to be a heel commentator?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'll be traveling from the States back to Japan today (so no midnight watching last night for me) and I wish I could just watch WK on the flight. But in-flight wifi...:/

how was Tanahashi's new theme?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

In the meantime my friends will continue to ignore NJPW and watch WWE every week and complain about Roman Reigns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Taking the Brock Lesnar approach to the after party I see.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

harperdc posted:

not as good as the old one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

not quite ~Tranquilo~

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Venomous posted:

e2: Tanahashi's probably going to get his win back over Kenny, isn't he? Bugger.

What is Tanahashi's role going to be going forward, I wonder? Everybody loves him and still he puts on great matches, but he's also a 40 year old wrestler in a promotion that clearly doesn't need to recycle past champs.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sean10mm posted:

What is Tanahashi's role going to be going forward, I wonder? Everybody loves him and still he puts on great matches, but he's also a 40 year old wrestler in a promotion that clearly doesn't need to recycle past champs.

He's also the John Cena of New Japan though. He'll be there until his body gives out on him.

e: I just realised. Kushida probably isn't going for the Junior Heavyweight title again. I'm guessing he'll have the first shot at Okada at The New Beginning before he loses and goes for Naito. (Probably still Naito, yeah.)

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Suplex Liberace posted:

not as good as the old one.

GOAT rear end

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I just watched it. The last 3 matches were insane. I don't know how everyone isn't dead.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BWV posted:

I just watched it. The last 3 matches were insane. I don't know how everyone isn't dead.

I died several times watching.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I barely slept since the main event and now I have to be at work. Worth it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I went right from the main event to work. Life is hell atm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

harperdc posted:

Not High Energy in every sense.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was probably the best final four matches back to back I've ever seen closing a show

They got me loving a Goto match, gently caress

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The ring was mic'd to perfection. Every bump was sounding like a gunshot going off

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Show was super long and super worth it. I probably will at some point but I cannot think of a better match than that main-event and it followed 3 already 4-5 star matches. Like seriously if there's only gonna be one wrestling show you see all year, make sure it's this!

The worst part of the show to me is realizing how much WWE is squandering Nakamura right now and I have no hope they're ever going to do him right. It is about to be Mania season so maybe he'll finally get the call up but god drat.

So yeah, if nothing else people, you gotta see this main event. All time classic imo.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I'm feeling a Rumble call up for Nakamura, and have for quite some time. If that doesn't happen, then yeah, that's some bullshit. But who cares about that right now? We managed to get through a 5 1/2 hour show (counting the Rumble) that didn't really have a stinker on it, and that's fantastic! (Closest to a stinker I can think of is probably the Heavyweight 3 way tag, or the CHAOS portion of the trios gauntlet). The Okada/Omega match had some of the most tension I've ever felt in a wrestling match, period. I'd have to go back to Tanahashi/Okada IV to come close. And the previous 3 matches would be MOTN on any other card. God drat that was a good show.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If Triple H is serious about having NXT folks mingle with main roster folks, then he'd pull the trigger on a Rollins run-in at Takeover, which in turn would lead to Nakamura eliminating Rollins from the Rumble, which would lead to a match between Rollins and Nakamura at Fastlane, which would culminate in Rollins/Triple H at Wrestlemania.

e: I must reiterate: this was quite possibly the best show ever, and the Rumble won't be anywhere near as good as this entire show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Venomous posted:

If Triple H is serious about having NXT folks mingle with main roster folks, then he'd pull the trigger on a Rollins run-in at Takeover, which in turn would lead to Nakamura eliminating Rollins from the Rumble, which would lead to a match between Rollins and Nakamura at Fastlane, which would culminate in Rollins/Triple H at Wrestlemania.

e: I must reiterate: this was quite possibly the best show ever, and the Rumble won't be anywhere near as good as this entire show.

whats the storyline justification for any of this

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

whats the storyline justification for any of this

idfk, I don't watch Raw, I just know that Seth is supposed to be feuding with Triple H rn

e: I mean I guess the justification is that Nakamura was given all his opportunities in NXT by Triple H and so he's gonna work heel against Rollins b/c he disrespected Triple H? I dunno, I just know they need to get Nakamura feuding with main roster folks somehow.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2017

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Is the card not announced for New Years Dash?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think they've typically announced it beforehand

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just caught up on this today and goddamn what an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Best show ever. Omega should have won. Didn't matter though. Best show ever.

• Locked thread