Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

someone should make clip on extenders for the bottom of the Airpods that hold them together and let you physically tether them to your iPhone.

agreed, they could run Apples most successful ever marketing campaign with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the new iphone comes out in 9 months is anyone else excited

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Dislike button posted:

timb and jony are impregnating a foxconn industrial robot as we speak

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dislike button posted:

i'm excited to see how insanely broken ios 11 will be

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
every time i use my macbook for more than 30 minutes, i end up with this:

it's so annoying i wish it would just prune empty desktops

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i usually push em over to the end of the row, op

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i too wish i could just install gnome 3 on top of macos

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

every time i use my macbook for more than 30 minutes, i end up with this:

it's so annoying i wish it would just prune empty desktops

lol dashboard

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ya was gonna say

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont use the dashboard. can i disable it?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh man i just turned that poo poo off. awesome

what other things am i doing wrong? don't say continuing to breathe

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i clicked the box that says 'when switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application'

maybe that will fix my problem. i cannot understand that help text.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hav you tried lsd? I think it helped Stebe Punjab

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

If you hover your mouse over the top left corner of an empty desktop, you can close it

if you close a desktop with windows in it it'll move all of its windows to your last used desktop

agreeing that it should just automatically close empty ones if there's >1 maybe or at least give the option but hth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Phoenixan posted:

If you hover your mouse over the top left corner of an empty desktop, you can close it

if you close a desktop with windows in it it'll move all of its windows to your last used desktop

agreeing that it should just automatically close empty ones if there's >1 maybe or at least give the option but hth

yeah i know how to close it, it just takes forever and it's annoying + dumb

thanks though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can you not just click x on the two empty desktops for them 2 go away? how would it know that you are done w/ the desktop and its ok to close it? the people who are autistic enough to want multiple desktops are gonna want to manage every aspect of them anyway so having to manually create or remove them makes sense.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

can you not just click x on the two empty desktops for them 2 go away? how would it know that you are done w/ the desktop and its ok to close it? the people who are autistic enough to want multiple desktops are gonna want to manage every aspect of them anyway so having to manually create or remove them makes sense.

the issue is that they create themselves automatically when you do...things. I don't really understand why they appear automatically and I think the fact that they automatically create themselves is the core issue here. once again shaggar is right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've never had a desktop create itself automatically. you're holding it wrong.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
shaggar was right

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i've never had a desktop create itself automatically. you're holding it wrong.

yeah this and i use those dumbo desktops daily

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ComradeCosmobot posted:

yeah proper surveying/mapmaking is not cheap, and as simple and comprehensive as osm seems, making it truly navigable (e.g. turn restrictions, signage, speeds, etc) is a non-trivial project

there's a reason almost every mapping product comes from a commercial company (and why many national mapping agencies don't release their maps in the public domain)

there's still lots of areas around the world that barely have maps in cities, and basically none once you get outside of them. gently caress, I pulled up OSM for a random place in Uganda and they had building outlines for cities and towns, and Google Maps was pretty much all of the roads in town. A shocking percentage of the world doesn't have street addresses, even in surprisingly 'developed' countries.

Related: Mapswipe is a pretty neat app for highlighting areas that need OSM coverage that's unfortunately buggy as poo poo and breaks when you try to download tiles to process offline

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the issue is that they create themselves automatically when you do...things. I don't really understand why they appear automatically and I think the fact that they automatically create themselves is the core issue here. once again shaggar is right

apparently this is an issue with external monitors and a dumb OS X setting/behavior

quote:

It has to do with the 'separate space' feature for external displays Apple introduced in OS X 10.10 Yosemite: If the setting "Displays have separate Spaces" in System Preferences -> Mission Control is activated (see https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18809?locale=en_US), every time you hook up a display a new space will be created for that display. After you pull the plug, OS X will not delete that created space, hence accumulating lots of spaces over time.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

apparently this is an issue with external monitors and a dumb OS X setting/behavior

yeah, i plug / unplug a lot so that must be it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ive stayed at the roosevelt. real nice. 3 amex blacks at the lobby bar :prepop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

continuing to breathe, op.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

zen death robot posted:

there's more to life than owning poo poo

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

zen death robot posted:

there's more to life than scoring a victory over poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

apple is fail as gently caress and their new "fullscreen" behavior is the dumbest thing possible. not surprising they cant figure out multiple monitors either.

windows 10 added multiple desktops as an afterthought for the autistics who wanted it and it works flawlessly.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

i plug into an external monitor all the time and its never created a separate safe space for the content on that screen. i unplug it and all the windows come back to my screen. the separate spaces thing is checked since ive never once looked at mission control settings lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i spent today being conscious about what i do and it turns out I create tons of workspaces because whenever I fullscreen something, I drag it to a new space first. I suppose my expectation is that it would consume the desktop when I hit fullscreen, but that doesn't make any sense. honestly though I just mash buttons without thinking about it.

so now I just fullscreen without dragging to a new desktop first and i dont have tons of desktops. thanks tim.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

diagnosis confirmed: you were holding it wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple has been granted a patent for “liquid expulsion from an orifice” (patent number 20170006383)

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

qirex posted:

apple has been granted a patent for “liquid expulsion from an orifice” (patent number 20170006383)

timb :getin:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

i cite myself as prior art

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

i cite myself as prior art

i think you were more fibery than liquid

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hey remember this

well

quote:

An early prototype of the original iPhone has been shared online by Sonny Dickson, with a collection of images and a video that provide a glimpse into one version of the iPhone that Apple created and tested before ending up with the first iteration of the device. The prototype includes some similar features to the first generation iPhone, like an aluminium chassis, multi-touch compatible screen, 2G connectivity and Wi-Fi, but its entire user interface is taken directly from the click wheel system of Apple's original iPod line.

Called "Acorn OS," the prototype software includes an on-screen click wheel on the bottom half of the screen and a menu system on the top half, and the two are bisected by a bar with rewind, menu, play/pause, and fast-forward buttons. On the menu are options such as “Favorites”, “SMS”, “Music”, “Settings” and “Recents," and it's navigated by circling around the click wheel to go up and down, with a center press confirming an action, just like on the iPod.

"Instead of the modern touch-driven interface we now call iOS, it featured an operating system dubbed “Acorn OS” (this was an internal code name, and it unclear if it would have kept that name if it had been released), which is derived from the acorn shown on boot.

Not much else is known about the device, apart from the fact that it differs heavily from the iPhone we know today, and that very few units running “Acorn OS” exist, with most of them likely being destroyed by Apple, a company in which there is a specific job role in relation to the destruction of prototypes."

Dickson references Apple's patent for a "multi-functional hand-held device," filed and published in 2006, as proof that such a prototype did exist at one point and could potentially have been an alternate version of the iPhone. In one of the patent's drawings, a click wheel can be seen as a possible input method for the proposed device. The patent's abstract describes a product with "at most only a few physical buttons, keys, or switches so that its display size can be substantially increased."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LlVtlXEEA

It's well known that to get to the current version of iOS we have today, Steve Jobs originally placed "iPod Father" Tony Fadell and Macintosh executive Scott Forstall in a head-to-head competition to come up with the best mobile operating system possible. The two teams represented a clashing idea that Jobs had for the iPhone: enlarge the iPod's OS or come up with a compact version of the Mac's OS. Forstall's team won, and it appears that today's shared prototype is a bygone leftover of the losing side's work.

Check out more images of the iPod-inspired iPhone on Sonny Dickson's website.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

surprised apple doesnt have a sonny dickson destruction role as well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hey remember this

well

cool

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
i heard the ui paradigm was originally gonna be called DicksUX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the scroll wheel was awesome, but i do like that in the steve era, they were always striving for something better. apple is sort of rolling around in its own poo poo lately which bums me out.

bring back forstall imho

• Locked thread