Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Because their stand up is usually on vinyl and it just sounds better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gin and Juche posted:

Because their stand up is usually on vinyl and it just sounds better

At thrift stores I've seen more Bill Cosby these days than Herb Alpert.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

We're a bunch of record collectors. Outdated poo poo is what we do.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Snowy posted:

If you've seen this great video of a Thai psyche band you might want to pick up their albums while they're 40% off with code 40days. I hear the first album is best but I haven't heard II at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGl-l0Toig

http://www.innovativeleisure.net/artists/khun-narin/

They've got other artists on the label but I didn't bother to look, maybe they're more good stuff.

There is more good stuff, and it only took me like a week to find it and buy some indie rock online at full price (minus the 40% discount)

https://holyfuck.bandcamp.com/album/congrats

Can't wait to type in that dl card code and put that baby on a shelf to never see again.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

SeXReX posted:

There is more good stuff, and it only took me like a week to find it and buy some indie rock online at full price (minus the 40% discount)

https://holyfuck.bandcamp.com/album/congrats

Can't wait to type in that dl card code and put that baby on a shelf to never see again.

If you purchase an LP through Bandcamp, you get an immediate download of the album anyway. Once it's delivered, stow it away in "near mint condition, still sealed in shrink"!

interpunct fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 31, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

beergod posted:

I only listen to 75 bird calls

Not my image, but I found a copy of this while cleaning out my folks' garage:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dual turntables were invented so you could listen to two discs of bird sounds at the same time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I purchased an Oingo Boingo record. See if you can guess why.

No I didn't know. Yes I bought it out of a weird internet obligation.

Also found:

Massive Attack - Karmacoma - single/portishead remix
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil - reissue/remaster
Tool - Aenima - Gold bootleg
Pharoah Sanders - Karma - reissue/remaster
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms - Capitol reissue

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dual turntables were invented so you could listen to two discs of bird sounds at the same time.

The earliest I've heard of someone using multiple turntables at once was the Ghost Army in ww2 who had records of all the different sounds of say a division of tanks or whatever and they would be able to blast those sounds over loudspeakers to convince a listener that the movement was real. They'd have separate records for tanks, trucks, troops, coming and going.

I love that these dudes were out there doing some early mixmaster turntablism and if I could ever get my hands on some of that stuff I'd be a happy man.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lu_ducky posted:

Also found:

I have the same Boingo record, it rules.

I bought this collection today called "I am the Center". Pretty sure I've seen it mentioned here but it's extremely chill and good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Oingo Boingo demo EP. I can also confirm it rules.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I bought this collection today called "I am the Center". Pretty sure I've seen it mentioned here but it's extremely chill and good.

the private-press new-age comp on Light In The Attic, right? congratulations on buying an extremely awesome compilation.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

trdn89 posted:

the private-press new-age comp on Light In The Attic, right? congratulations on buying an extremely awesome compilation.

Yeah that thing. It rules and is hella chill.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

lu_ducky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0Le-L3DNE

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

I mostly listen to 90's era weird al and that poo poo is NOT affordably availble on vinyl.

You're in luck. A boxset of all of his albums and one disc of rarities will be released this year in an accordion boxset.

Which means you'll finally get to listen to Amish Paradise, mastered for vinyl, the way it was meant to be heard.

The sad thing is I'm tempted because I feel like in the near future, vinyl will be our currency.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The sad thing is I'm tempted because I feel like in the near future, vinyl will be our currency.

It won't. Every copy of Whipped Cream I buy I think to myself "this could be canned goods, ammo, or packs of smokes I could use in the Trumpocolypse."

Then I listen to them on my Crosley with my Beats By Dre headphones in a Starbucks the way they were meant to be heard.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

lu_ducky posted:

Also found:

If you like massive attack I hope you pick up the reissues for all their albums that came out this month and the next

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gin and Juche posted:

If you like massive attack I hope you pick up the reissues for all their albums that came out this month and the next

I'll definitely be picking up everything besides Protection and Blue Lines. I own OP's of both and found a 2012 reissue of Blue Lines not too long ago. Though I am waiting to hear if any changes or who is doing the pressing jobs for those reissues will be. Probably should've checked yesterday as I saw the blue lines reissue in the wild, but didn't bother looking at it.

Side note: anyone know what to do with a purchase that yielded two of the same discs? That copy of A Perfect Circle I bought yesterday had two copies of the first disc despite the second disc having the correct SideC/D info. Real loving bummer, but I've heard some not so great dealings with returns at Amoeba in SF. I may try anyways and see what they say (it was a used purchase, but they resealed it as new) and I'd hate to be out of $30 for just one side of an album.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 31, 2016

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

It's like "thanks for the piece of trash, maybe I'll check out your poo poo on YouTube"

I know some people who are proud of their cd collections, I imagine them sitting there squinting to read liner notes while that beautiful sound washes over them

how'd you know i found the new sun kil moon & jesu CD? was $31 cheaper than the LP.
also grabbed the the Inquisition on cassette and good to listen to while driving through a winter snowstorm at night in the mountains.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Elrobot posted:

how'd you know i found the new sun kil moon & jesu CD? was $31 cheaper than the LP.
also grabbed the the Inquisition on cassette and good to listen to while driving through a winter snowstorm at night in the mountains.

Shh, you're breaking kayfabe.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

dorium posted:

I'll definitely be picking up everything besides Protection and Blue Lines. I own OP's of both and found a 2012 reissue of Blue Lines not too long ago. Though I am waiting to hear if any changes or who is doing the pressing jobs for those reissues will be. Probably should've checked yesterday as I saw the blue lines reissue in the wild, but didn't bother looking at it.

Side note: anyone know what to do with a purchase that yielded two of the same discs? That copy of A Perfect Circle I bought yesterday had two copies of the first disc despite the second disc having the correct SideC/D info. Real loving bummer, but I've heard some not so great dealings with returns at Amoeba in SF. I may try anyways and see what they say (it was a used purchase, but they resealed it as new) and I'd hate to be out of $30 for just one side of an album.

It'll definitely be nice getting Heligoland and not having to drop $300.

Now if only they'd release the new album instead of releasing it piecemeal via $20 singles.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Treated myself to some Japanese hardcore.

VA - Raging Thrash From Blind Vision
VA - The Punx - Street Movement
No Think - Thinking Animals
The Stalin - Stop Jap + Mushi
Idora - s/t

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I got a newerish receiver that I'd like to use but I've hooked up the TT and the sound is coming out at a very reduced level, on any other input the volume is fine. Is this what pre-amps are for, and if so are there any pre-amps that can get their power supply for another device like the receiver?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This should do it

PYLE-PRO PP444 Ultra Compact Phono Turntable Preamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KigBybMFCAQJB

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Snowy posted:

This should do it

PYLE-PRO PP444 Ultra Compact Phono Turntable Preamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KigBybMFCAQJB

Yeah saw that, if I can find one that'd work with this https://www.amazon.com/LANMU-Module...ords=usb+to+12v that seems like it'd be the best solution.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That seems iffy, you might even fry your receiver. You could get an unpowered "passive" pre-amp, a bigger power strip and a pre-amp or a turntable with a built in pre-amp.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boinks posted:

That seems iffy, you might even fry your receiver. You could get an unpowered "passive" pre-amp, a bigger power strip and a pre-amp or a turntable with a built in pre-amp.

There are a couple of 40-50ish passive preamps on Amazon, would those work?

ex: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Sel...=passive+preamp

The power strip might be a nogo, I'd prefer to stick with my wall mounted surge protector and it doesn't look like they have any with over 6 plugs.

Turntable I guess could be an option but mine is kinda ok. It's functional but not particularly the best but :shrug:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gin and Juche posted:

There are a couple of 40-50ish passive preamps on Amazon, would those work?

ex: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Sel...=passive+preamp

The power strip might be a nogo, I'd prefer to stick with my wall mounted surge protector and it doesn't look like they have any with over 6 plugs.

Turntable I guess could be an option but mine is kinda ok. It's functional but not particularly the best but :shrug:

Honestly I've never used one. I have an old-school receiver with a built in pre-amp. Maybe someone else can chime in though.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I got the Protest the Hero Pacific Myth boxset. The songs are on their own differently coloured 10" records and it's pretty nice. Here's a photo from Discogs.

edit: Here's a download code if someone is interested:

Pingiivi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 4, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Snowy posted:

This should do it

I had this model when I had I ran my turntable through a stereo that just had auxiliary inputs. Worked fine, probably only 3x2x1 inch dimensions, used a dc power cable with a box style plug into the wall outlet. This will probably be your cheapest and most effective option.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

January 25th.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

caligulamprey posted:

January 25th.

Is this Fire Walk?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Is this Fire Walk?

Hell yeah. Can't wait to grab it. Need to get that other Twin Peaks vinyl as well.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've been a member for over 10 years and collecting records for almost as much and somehow have never read this thread...

I have enjoyed the last couple of pages of discussion about the how and why of collecting records.

In terms of setup, if you're not going over the top crazy with maintaining a clean and high quality audio chain from stylus to speaker coil, you should just listen to CDs or lossless downloads. They'll reproduce really good 100% of the time instead of the magic of a pristine vinyl playthrough which is a set of voodoo and witchcraft which is really more trouble than it's worth and never guaranteed. You don't have to chase down ground loop hums or wonder whether you're hearing phantom inner groove distortion with CDs.

I barely understand why anyone buys records of any rock or electronic music or anything like that. That said, I recently found out that one of my fav albums, Onra's 1.0.8, is alot cheaper on vinyl than some super limited CD run he did. To me vinyl is for music that was recorded and mastered for vinyl. My collection is almost entirely older jazz (reissues tho), some King Crimson, soundtracks and all the awesome compilations/re issues of West African funk which have become so popular nowadays and go for super expensive. After that, the huge bulk of my collection is older Latin American music (mostly Cuban) alot of which I've inherited from my grandparents and some other sources. They're almost all in pretty rough shape and cleaning then is a complicated process but full of absolute gems, alot of which are not available digitally or are these horrible transfers where they put reverb and poo poo to make them sound more "modern". That's why I like vinyl. That said, a nice new records with no surface noise or pops is a beauty.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

I barely understand why anyone buys records of any rock or electronic music or anything like that. To me vinyl is for music that was recorded and mastered for vinyl.

Lots and lots of rock music was recorded and mastered for vinyl.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Boinks posted:

Lots and lots of rock music was recorded and mastered for vinyl.

I meant modern stuff mostly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gozinbulx posted:

I've been a member for over 10 years and collecting records for almost as much and somehow have never read this thread...

I have enjoyed the last couple of pages of discussion about the how and why of collecting records.

In terms of setup, if you're not going over the top crazy with maintaining a clean and high quality audio chain from stylus to speaker coil, you should just listen to CDs or lossless downloads. They'll reproduce really good 100% of the time instead of the magic of a pristine vinyl playthrough which is a set of voodoo and witchcraft which is really more trouble than it's worth and never guaranteed. You don't have to chase down ground loop hums or wonder whether you're hearing phantom inner groove distortion with CDs.

I barely understand why anyone buys records of any rock or electronic music or anything like that. That said, I recently found out that one of my fav albums, Onra's 1.0.8, is alot cheaper on vinyl than some super limited CD run he did. To me vinyl is for music that was recorded and mastered for vinyl. My collection is almost entirely older jazz (reissues tho), some King Crimson, soundtracks and all the awesome compilations/re issues of West African funk which have become so popular nowadays and go for super expensive. After that, the huge bulk of my collection is older Latin American music (mostly Cuban) alot of which I've inherited from my grandparents and some other sources. They're almost all in pretty rough shape and cleaning then is a complicated process but full of absolute gems, alot of which are not available digitally or are these horrible transfers where they put reverb and poo poo to make them sound more "modern". That's why I like vinyl. That said, a nice new records with no surface noise or pops is a beauty.

You and I should maybe talk. I recently came across a large collection of Hispanic/Spanish records from the thrift store, many clearly purchased in the 50s-60s and seldom played, beautiful condition, but I can't say I've enjoyed that many of those. I've also found a large number of various ethnic records, Indian, Middle Eastern, and tons of old jazz and show tunes. I travel a bit for work and always check out whatever thrift stores or antique stores I find along the way.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I am very interested. Do you have PMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Skeezy posted:

Hell yeah. Can't wait to grab it. Need to get that other Twin Peaks vinyl as well.

:fap: :fap: :fap:

It's pretty great, but I have a soft spot for 1) soundtracks 2) by Angelo Badalamenti, and could listen to them on repeat until the record is dust.

On another note: I bought an album off Discogs, it came today, and the back is stamped with "for promotional use only," like the poo poo we used to get at the radio station when companies still sent us stuff to play on air. Not that I really care, but does that make a record worth more or less?