Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

xthetenth posted:

I just use the option that ties each usb to a video in and switches usb when I switch the video in. That wouldn't go for pbp but is great for other uses.

Yeah, that's how I have mine set up, but just wanted to give some info on how PBP would be done if the two pictures are the two sources set up to use the USB hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, that's how I have mine set up, but just wanted to give some info on how PBP would be done if the two pictures are the two sources set up to use the USB hub.

That's totally fair, I was more trying to clarify how tying the usb to inputs works as far as the controls.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What's the lifecycle for a good monitor these days? I'm toying with getting a 1080p gsync monitor for use with a new system with a GTX 1060, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger with that price premium if it won't last much longer than the card itself.

Also I might as well ask here even if I think I know the answer - my understanding is that the card won't always hold above 60 FPS, but that gsync will double frames (which should improve my experience) even if I dip below that. That true?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Boxman posted:

What's the lifecycle for a good monitor these days? I'm toying with getting a 1080p gsync monitor for use with a new system with a GTX 1060, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger with that price premium if it won't last much longer than the card itself.

Also I might as well ask here even if I think I know the answer - my understanding is that the card won't always hold above 60 FPS, but that gsync will double frames (which should improve my experience) even if I dip below that. That true?

Cards get outdated and need to be replaced because a lot of their value is in being up to date. A gsync monitor will remain a gsync monitor no matter what games you play on it. If you want, a five year upgrade cycle for monitors is entirely reasonable, alternately they will hold value a lot better.

Also *sync and graphics cards are a synergistic effect. As framerates get lower, if the monitor's displaying on a fixed interval, the gap between when the card makes the frame and when the screen shows it becomes longer and worse, more inconsistent. *sync makes things look a lot smoother especially at lower framerates. Doubling frames at lower rates is mostly just a technical thing to keep it working when the card really can't keep up and is doing something less than 30 fps.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boxman posted:

Monitors can last a long, long time, my parents are still using my old 1280x1024 Samsung Syncmaster panel from way back when LCD monitors were a new thing so it's more about when you choose to upgrade than how long it will last.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Does Gsync apply to windowed fullscreen borderless gaming?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It can, yes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It can, yes.

Ok, I have GSYNC set to "fullscreen and windowed mode" in NV control panel, the monitor is set for Gsync, and the Red LED on the monitor (Swift) indicates it's set up correctly.

Anything else I have to do?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Deviant posted:

Ok, I have GSYNC set to "fullscreen and windowed mode" in NV control panel, the monitor is set for Gsync, and the Red LED on the monitor (Swift) indicates it's set up correctly.

Anything else I have to do?

Play a video game. :)

Also make sure to turn off vsync in the game I guess.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That's only if you prefer it to keep on going past 144 if it gets up there so you don't get input lag. If you leave it on it will just limit the frames to 144, in my experience, just like normal vsync. It's up to you for which you prefer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That's only if you prefer it to keep on going past 144 if it gets up there so you don't get input lag. If you leave it on it will just limit the frames to 144, in my experience, just like normal vsync. It's up to you for which you prefer.

I guess it depends on the game? I'm running a GTX 1080 so my frames hover anywhere from 250+ on CS:GO down to 40fps on ARMA 3 b/c arma is a turd. Anything I should do in these one off situations of very high or low fps?

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I'm upgrading my computer for the first time in a long time, including replacing my ~9 year old Gateway monitor with a resolution of 1600x1050. My computer will be running a GTX 1050 2 GB and an i3-6100. Does it make sense to even consider a 1440p monitor (With the understanding that most or all games will only be playable at 1080p or below)?

I will sometimes be using it for non-gaming tasks, so the higher resolution would still be beneficial for word processing, etc. I didn't know if the extra resolution would be problematic for... reasons.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I currently have a 27" 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor that I got at a bargain last year even though I have a 970 due to needing a new monitor.

This year I purchased a G-Sync monitor that will be coming in this week. Will I be able to use both monitors at the same time without affecting the G-Sync capability of the new monitor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yes. Just ensure that you set up the GSync monitor as your primary monitor in the NVidia control panel and it'll work just fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deviant posted:

I guess it depends on the game? I'm running a GTX 1080 so my frames hover anywhere from 250+ on CS:GO down to 40fps on ARMA 3 b/c arma is a turd. Anything I should do in these one off situations of very high or low fps?

Now I don't feel bad about my Arma3 framerates.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Deviant posted:

yeah, for arma it wouldnt matter either way, and for cs:go you just turn it on if you hate tearing, and turn it off if you hate lag

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Now I don't feel bad about my Arma3 framerates.

ARMA does that. Great FPS in singleplayer, garbage on multiplayer.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Use Fastsync (set VSync mode to "fast" in the driver options) for games like CSGO. If you have high FPS it's a good combo of no screen tearing and very low added input lag. YMMV of course depending on how much input lag you can handle.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll move in on g sync once I've built up a bit more cash in my "stupid poo poo" fund. I'm sure I'll be back to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Deviant posted:

ARMA does that. Great FPS in singleplayer, garbage on multiplayer.

FPS in multiplayer is controlled by the server.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Use Fastsync (set VSync mode to "fast" in the driver options) for games like CSGO. If you have high FPS it's a good combo of no screen tearing and very low added input lag. YMMV of course depending on how much input lag you can handle.

Does this work in borderless window?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
The company I work for is giving me my own office and I convinced my boss to get me a QNIX UHD3216R for it (instead of something much more expensive, like a Dell U3415W).

I've been through a lot of displays over the past couple of years, and unfortunately, the story with this one is all too familiar. I'm glad I bought from the normal listing and not the "SE grade" one that was $25 cheaper, but allows up to 10 dead pixels, because this has at least six pieces of dust trapped behind the screen. I know dead pixels and dust are two separate things, but this should make negotiating a return a bit easier since the listing I bought from allows up to three.

Other than that, this monitor isn't half bad. My only gripe is that the backlight's viewing angle is kind of narrow, so off-angle portions of the screen look dimmer unless you place your head directly in front of it (I believe flat 34" ultrawides also have this problem). Input lag is tons better than the Acer 32" 4K monitor I tried out several months ago and my mouse cursor doesn't feel "floaty" like it did with that one.

The build quality is leaps and bounds better than my old FIRST FSM-270YG. Even the basic stand it comes with feels reasonably sturdy and there are absolutely no squeaks or creaks when adjusting it. Backlight bleed is minimal, but considering I'll be using it in a window office, this wouldn't be an issue if it were worse anyway.

Someone on YouTube complained this monitor's VESA mount isn't technically standard since the opening for the stock stand protrudes a bit, but mine came with spacers, so I doubt that will be a problem if I decide to get an arm for it.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 4, 2017

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the 4K 100hz ultrawide g sync monitor a thing yet?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

beergod posted:

Is the 4K 100hz ultrawide g sync monitor a thing yet?

No, and for good reason. You'd need two titan XPs to run that thing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So this started occurring on my laptop a month ago, and has gotten progressively worse. When I first turn the monitor on, it's faint, but after an hour or two of use, it's pretty visible, like in the picture. What's the term for this kind of damage, and is this likely the result of a defect or me loving up handling the laptop somehow?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So to summarize the G-Sync features that allow nvida selling this stuff under "premium" label is this:
1.) G-Sync works out of the box, with every game = plug&play. Freeync does not
2.) G-Sync works in overall and in all scaling ranges from 1-xxx fps. Freeync does not (eps: "G-Sync has no bottom window for variable refresh and produces the same result as if the display technology itself was capable going to lower refresh rates without artifacting or flickering." https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ )
3.) G-Sync works in fullscreen and window mode and allows alt-tabbing and switching and keeps working. Freesync does not
EDIT: Only borderless windowed will work with the last Crimson patch, bordered will not ?
4.) G-Sync does not need any interactions or adjustements. Freesync needs mode and profile selection, even while you are gaming (Low Frequence Compensation Mode)

please correct where I am wrong.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 4, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
FreeSync is "supposed" to out of the box on every game that G-Sync would work on, as long as you are in either Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed.

I use FreeSync and it works fine 95% of the time, I'd say. There's a few weird times where I'll be in a game and it'll tear like FreeSync is off but I can see it is still in FreeSync range.

Does alt-tabbing actually break FreeSync? News to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"Borderless Windowed" is just windowed with the window missing borders, or being positioned so you can't see them. Is that actually a requirement? Because that sounds suspect, they're handled in exactly the same way by windows. As in, not a full-screen window.

I know there was a patch/fix late in 2016 that enabled freesync in windowed and I don't remember it being borderless fullscreen only.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I'm looking for a display to act as a second monitor for the home office. The laptop is 14" but 2560x1440, and I think I'd like the same resolution on the second display. Don't see any gaming in my future, just lots of text and some photo editing. Should I be looking at anything but the U2717D?

spoof fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 4, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

spoof posted:

I'm looking for a display to act as a second monitor for the home office. The laptop is 14" but 2560x1440, and I think I'd like the same resolution on the second display. Don't see any gaming in my future, just lots of text and some photo editing. Should I be looking at anything but the U2717D?

Consider the Asus PB278Q. It runs under $400 USD, has good color accuracy, and is great for office work. I loved the one I bought a few years ago, and bought a second a few weeks ago.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

FreeSync is "supposed" to out of the box on every game that G-Sync would work on, as long as you are in either Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed.

I use FreeSync and it works fine 95% of the time, I'd say. There's a few weird times where I'll be in a game and it'll tear like FreeSync is off but I can see it is still in FreeSync range.

Does alt-tabbing actually break FreeSync? News to me.

I've never had freesync not work once I got it set up with an extended range MG279Q. Then again, I don't alt-tab much since I got the second monitor. Never heard that would be an issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

"Borderless Windowed" is just windowed with the window missing borders, or being positioned so you can't see them. Is that actually a requirement? Because that sounds suspect, they're handled in exactly the same way by windows. As in, not a full-screen window.

No, in Windows since 8 there are optimizations for non-full screen surfaces that cover the whole screen. They've become progressively better through Windows 10 in terms of copying and compositing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, cool. That's actually pretty good.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The HDMI 2.1 spec was announced today and it includes "Game Mode Variable Refresh Rate" which i'm guessing is Freesync with a generic name since AMD was working on getting it running via HDMI for a while. If it's part of the spec then just about every display should support adaptive sync by next year :toot:.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Franz posted:

If it's part of the spec then just about every display should support adaptive sync by next year :toot:.

How long has adaptive sync been part of the DP spec?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Asus just won monitor spec bingo: 4K + 144hz + IPS + HDR + Gsync

No price announced it's obviously going to be obscene :smith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

AFAIK it's still optional.

repiv posted:

no oled no buy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Whenever 1.2a came out, but it was always declared as optional. The press release didn't mention it as being optional with HDMI 2.1.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

27" 4K? Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Subjunctive posted:

27" 4K? Sigh.

27" 4k is perfect IMO - you get something that works great for desktop stuff (scale to 2560x1440 equivalent) and games don't look too bad at 1080p

I don't see myself ever going back to a lower density screen, text is just too nice at 4k