Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pearnicious posted:

I don't get why people on the internet jump to extremes and immediately start throwing out legal bullshit like "needs a restraining order" over stupid poo poo like this. Was it inappropriate? Yeah. Was it criminal. Nah.

I mean, think about it in "real life." A normal person would just have a conversation with this person about it and explain that it was inappropriate and that it shouldn't ever happen again. Can you imagine if everyone in real life acted like people on the internet? Every time someone accidentally bumps into you while walking you'd be screaming that they tried to murder you and they should be thrown in prison for life. Someone dials the wrong number and accidentally calls you; you'd probably try to press charges for harassment or something.
I like how you try to call me out for "jumping to extremes" and then dive a hundred times deeper into hyperbole. He didn't "try to have a conversation", he lifted up her shirt (never acceptable), then started berating her with his imagined version of events and then started going to every other person she knows and started lying to them about her relationship. If I started calling up all of your friends and family members and telling them I thought you were getting beaten regularly by your SO with no evidence, I would hope you'd think "this guy's a psychopath and needs to be dealt with legally" not "oh silly me, I should have worn my burqa to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea about my sex life!" Go buy some reading comprehension and reread the story, but pay specific attention to this part:

quote:

after some badgering I admitted that yes, it was, but it was with my consent and encouragement.
They already had a conversation. The result of that conversation was him to go full psycho on her. Her next step is to either (a) call the police and have them deal with it, or (b) play tee-ball with his skull. He clearly isn't going to get the message any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dial-a-Dog posted:

That's incredibly gross and he is absolutely hoping to see naked pictures of his step step granddaughter. She should seed the camera roll with goatse
A long photoreel of her poop with his toothbrush in the last one. :twisted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dial-a-Dog posted:

That's incredibly gross and he is absolutely hoping to see naked pictures of his step step granddaughter. She should seed the camera roll with goatse

Absolutely

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
I mean...as dumb as it sounds, :sever:

Who the gently caress is this guy? Your step-dad's step-dad? As in...not even close to being related to you.

I guess this is easy for me to say because I'm not close with really any of my extended family on either side, just a small set of immediate family. But if I had a distant relative who treated me like this I'd just gently caress off and never have to see them again. If he was at a family gathering I'd either not go, make a very short appearance, or just avoid him the whole time. He'll probably be dead in less than 10 years anyway, gently caress him.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Step-step-grandfather [76m] takes it personal that I [24f] don't let him hold my phone to look at pictures because he swipes through my camera roll.

There's basically nothing that isn't terrible in this story. A 24 year old adult woman (or really, any person at any age) should not have to justify keeping her phone to herself during family gatherings. It's her choice to not have garbage family members swiping through her selfies. Goddamn. She should just stop visiting. That's what I would do.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Accidentally making GBS threads on your SO during sex and them ignoring it afterwards is pretty much the absolute best outcome possible. I think in this case it goes ignoring it > making fun of you > breaking up with you for being a poop monster > getting harder/wetter > opening the relationship.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
Me [25F] with my employer [40F] duration over one year, How to explain I do not want gifts made from animals? Non-Romantic

quote:

I have been working for this person for over a year and it's the best job I've ever had. My employer, coworker, and I get along really well. They know I'm vegan and it has not been a issue when it comes to food.

The problem I'm hoping to get advice on is about non-food items. I have received two gifts in the last few months from her that are made of animal products. The first one was not made of something that I would expect the average person to think of as an "animal product" and I just thanked her and didn't address it. The second one though was really obviously made from an animal and she pointed it out. I didn't know what to say about it and thought, "Well, she already bought it, so I'll just say thank you."

What is the best way to request that she not buy anything like that on my behalf next time she goes somewhere? Would it make sense to look up the place she's going to and ask if she can bring something specific back for me so she doesn't have to spend time thinking about it?

tl;dr: Received gift made from animal. How to politely request no future gifts made from animals?

hope to god the second gift was taxidermy

edit: op is being super cagey about the gift, this is the only elaboration

quote:

It has some fur on it.

the yellow dog fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 4, 2017

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

I like how you try to call me out for "jumping to extremes" and then dive a hundred times deeper into hyperbole. He didn't "try to have a conversation", he lifted up her shirt (never acceptable), then started berating her with his imagined version of events and then started going to every other person she knows and started lying to them about her relationship. If I started calling up all of your friends and family members and telling them I thought you were getting beaten regularly by your SO with no evidence, I would hope you'd think "this guy's a psychopath and needs to be dealt with legally" not "oh silly me, I should have worn my burqa to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea about my sex life!" Go buy some reading comprehension and reread the story, but pay specific attention to this part:
They already had a conversation. The result of that conversation was him to go full psycho on her. Her next step is to either (a) call the police and have them deal with it, or (b) play tee-ball with his skull. He clearly isn't going to get the message any other way.

Again, the hyperbole was intended to illustrate the absurdity of defaulting to legal action over petty bullshit. But yeah, I'm the one who needs to work on reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

If she was assertive with him during their conversation she probably could have prevented this whole situation. She said "after some badgering" she reluctantly admitted the truth. Because she wasn't sure of herself and confident he is doubting her sincerity. He's thinking that since he had to try so hard to get the answer that she's still trying to cover up the "real" truth. Now she needs to have a second conversation with him and actually be assertive this time and tell him to drop it. If all else fails and he's still being obtuse and moronic about it, sure, seek legal action. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be the default action you take for every petty thing that happens.

Not defending this dude's actions. He's a jackass for sure, but nothing he did was criminal yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pearnicious posted:

If she was assertive with him during their conversation she probably could have prevented this whole situation. She said "after some badgering" she reluctantly admitted the truth. Because she wasn't sure of herself and confident he is doubting her sincerity because of it. He's thinking that since he had to try to hard to get the answer that she's still trying to cover up the "real" truth. Now she needs to have a second conversation with him and actually be assertive this time. If all else fails and he's still being obtuse and moronic about it, sure, seek legal action. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be the default action you take for every petty thing that happens.

why is this creepshow entitled to know details about her sex life she's reluctant to divulge. even the most charitable reading is that he's a nosy fucker out to save her from her own choices. people do not have to be "assertive enough" to stop people from asking them exactly how they like to get off

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh my god shut the gently caress up about suing the shirtlifter

Have some poetry

My Girlfriend [21F] of 2 months gave me[20M] chlamydia, trying to figure out if her story makes sense.

quote:

I'm not worried about treatment, Docs got me, however I'm
concerned about what this implies. We started dating late October,
and she last got tested August 31, and she had says she had one
other partner between her last test and now. After getting back a
positive, she let me know immediaetly and I got some medicine.
She called her ex, who's current girlfriend has the clap, but he says
he got a clean test back. Is it possible for her to have contracted
from him, and him still have a clean slate, or am I being
bamboozled?
TLDR: Gf gave me chlamydia, trying to figure out if she's cheating.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of goons here seem to think they are entitled to a woman's body

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Lol if you don't automatically explain away any bruising as being from rough sex, even if occasionally it's from a different cause

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

boner confessor posted:

why is this creepshow entitled to know details about her sex life she's reluctant to divulge. even the most charitable reading is that he's a nosy fucker out to save her from her own choices. people do not have to be "assertive enough" to stop people from asking them exactly how they like to get off

Being "assertive enough" is just not being a loving doormat like this girl is. Obviously she doesn't have to divulge the details of her sex life if she doesn't want to, but I honestly believe that if she was more forceful in her conversation with this "Evan" dude he probably would have dropped it. Unless he's just a complete fucktard, who knows?

The vibe I got from her story was that she is submissive in the BDSM stuff, so she's probably kind of a submissive person in general. That's not necessarily true, but I'm making an assumption. She was probably being pretty sheepish and dodgy about his questions which led him to believe she was lying to cover up the "real" truth.

I think if she would have dug her heels in, stood her ground and forcefully told him that it was none of his business and he would have been more likely to drop it. But she's a pushover, and now she's posting on reddit because everyone in her life walks all over her.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Mr. Punch posted:

It has some fur on it.

99.9% chance that it's faux fur

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ah the victim blaming has begun in earnest.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Pearnicious posted:

Being "assertive enough" is just not being a loving doormat like this girl is. Obviously she doesn't have to divulge the details of her sex life if she doesn't want to, but I honestly believe that if she was more forceful in her conversation with this "Evan" dude he probably would have dropped it.
We are being trolled, right?

If she'd have told him no harder, maybe he would've listened. If she wasn't so sheepish and submissive, she wouldn't have had her boundaries crossed.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

But what about his right to save her from an abusive relationship so that she's free to date him, her savior?

I'm pretty sure a man's right to inspect a woman's body always trumps a woman's desire to keep parts of her body concealed when it comes to love.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

gently caress it. I guess from now on if I have a petty squabble with a friend I'm going to immediately involve the police and as many lawyers as I can afford.

Thanks for the great advice goons.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Why is this horrid derail over a woman's consent still going on? :gibs:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
A unique perspective on a GBS classic

quote:

My [23F] husband [25M] has been secretly participating in cuckold fetish sexting through our relationship.

EDIT: Updating to add relationship duration. 5 and a half years. Married since September.

EDIT 2: I should probably provide a little more context regarding the aftermath. He did agree to counseling, a separation or whatever I wanted to do after I threatened divorce and tried to console me. The messages were all deleted at the time they occured so there's no possibility of proving when it all ended. I don't question that he is remorseful but that alone is obviously not enough.

Basically my husband had been sending pictures of himself to other men with messages about loving their girlfriends/wives for at least half our engagement. This included naked pictures of himself and pictures with his parts over mobile pictures of the girls mouths/etc. Along with receiving many explicit photos. I found a picture in his email trash dated just a few months before our wedding.

I am so disgusted, hurt and betrayed. I thought all aspects of our relationship, including our sex life, were very open and healthy. The boundaries of the relationship were well defined and in accordance to them this is clearly cheating. He had an opportunity to confess this prior to our wedding after I found somewhat related (but certainly not damning) evidence several months ago. He also trickle truthed me all night regarding the context of the picture and didn't come clean till I was practically dry heaving. I have no reason to believe he's done it since that date of the picture. But it still hurts so much to know it went on with a ring on my finger. I feel like I married someone who disrespected me throughout our entire engagement and withheld information that he knew would have led me to postpone the wedding. I feel so pathetic that as I was excitedly planning he was telling someone else what he would do to their wife.

We had a long tearful night and I ultimately agreed to remain in the marriage. But I find myself so full of anger, resentment and self loathing. I am saying hateful and malicious things to elicit a reaction. He said it is not about me and was solely a self esteem boost to himself. But it has come at the expense of my self image and worth. He also said there was no communication with the girls themselves. But at this point does it matter? am scared he has done worse and will never tell me... I don't know where to go from here or rebuild trust. We just moved to an entirely new state and I have no family or friends to fall back on. I am essentially trapped with someone who has made me feel like a complete fool. What do I do? How do I salvage this?

TLDR; husband engaged in cuckold sexting as the 'bull' aka intimidating third party

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The horrible takes on the last few pages really are something. Why is it only these sorts of situations where we wonder if the victim was asking for it? Big mystery.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Deer posted:

But what about his right to save her from an abusive relationship so that she's free to date him, her savior?

I'm pretty sure a man's right to inspect a woman's body always trumps a woman's desire to keep parts of her body concealed when it comes to love.

she just needs to be assertive enough to get this guy to not run his hands under her shirt or play 20 questions about what she does with her genitals. its her own fault really for being a sex pervert

Pearnicious posted:

gently caress it. I guess from now on if I have a petty squabble with a friend I'm going to immediately involve the police and as many lawyers as I can afford.

Thanks for the great advice goons.

given that you think women need to fight to avoid your affections i would say this is excellent advice

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Why is this horrid derail over a woman's consent still going on? :gibs:

Because simple concepts about consent and victim blaming go out the window when women are involved.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Leon Einstein posted:

We are being trolled, right?

If she'd have told him no harder, maybe he would've listened. If she wasn't so sheepish and submissive, she wouldn't have had her boundaries crossed.

Goddamn, I'm not defending the dude's actions at all. He's a fuckhead and what he did was inappropriate, I've never said otherwise. All I'm saying is that she has at least a small responsibility for standing up for herself. gently caress this derail is stupid.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You'd think someone who is into getting bruised up would have a cover story though. Like "Oh, I fell and hurt myself." whammo blammo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
One one hand yeah these takes. On the other hand I can easily see the flip side story "girl is being physically abused by boyfriend, goes undiscovered for years because clueless idiot asked one question then left it alone because she said it was ok".

The story as posted has next to zero details of the actual conversation beyond "he pressed me, I said it was boyfriend" which is extremely open ended. In conclusion: who knows, who cares.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Pearnicious posted:

Goddamn, I'm not defending the dude's actions at all. He's a fuckhead and what he did was inappropriate, I've never said otherwise. All I'm saying is that she has at least a small responsibility for standing up for herself. gently caress this derail is stupid.

Why? Would you apply the same standard to getting mugged?

I don't think this is a stupid derail, I think it's enlightening.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*Each poster boldly tackles their own strawman, never engaging or understanding one another even remotely*

Seriously, nobody is going to reach anybody in this argument, cut it out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

You'd think someone who is into getting bruised up would have a cover story though. Like "Oh, I fell and hurt myself." whammo blammo

I doubt that's gonna deter the dude who's jumping at the opportunity to try to publicly brand her boyfriend an abuser

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zakharov posted:

The horrible takes on the last few pages really are something. Why is it only these sorts of situations where we wonder if the victim was asking for it? Big mystery.

Hey, I don't want to get lumped in with victim blamy McGee over here just because I was picturing a scenario where you suddenly notice a wound and are shocked and try to see the extent of the damage, but now I realize there's no reason for a non-medically trained person to do that. I would imagine it is an instinct others share, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dial-a-Dog posted:

A unique perspective on a GBS classic

It's a pleasure to meet Mrs. Bertha L. Pup at last

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Hey, I don't want to get lumped in with victim blamy McGee over here just because I was picturing a scenario where you suddenly notice a wound and are shocked and try to see the extent of the damage, but now I realize there's no reason for a non-medically trained person to do that. I would imagine it is an instinct others share, though.

Fair enough. Dropping the topic as requested.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

I gave my (28f) long time friend (28f) a handmade gift and she mocked it and post all over social media how "tacky" it was. Should I end our friendship?[new]
submitted 21 minutes ago by threadartist
I know it might sound like I'm leaping to a nuclear option, but my feelings are pretty hurt. For Christmas, I made my friend Casey an embroidery of her dog. If you were to look on Etsy, items like it would sell for $70-$150 depending on the quality and skill.
No way am I as good as some of the sellers on Etsy, but I took a lot of time and effort to do her dog, who is her "best friend", proud. I thought it turned out great, and when I shared it with our mutual friends, they immediately knew who it was and were so excited about it.
We exchanged gifts three days ago, and when she opened it, she turned it around with a funny look on her face and said "What is this?"
I told her it was her dog, and she screwed up her face and was like "Um? It is?" She looked at it from a bunch of angles and then said "Ohhhh, I guess I can kind of see it? I mean [Dog Name] is bigger, has more white in his fur... differen't colored eyes... different muzzle shape... different ears. But yeah, sure. Um, good job?" She set it face down and then gave me her gift, which was a book she knew I wanted.
Of course I felt terrible. It wasn't like it was completely unrecognizable as her dog. It looked like any dog that breed I guess, but I did get the eyes and the nose and everything right. I was really disappointed but tried to shake it off.
Except she went on Twitter (which I don't follow her on, someone just linked me to it) and tweeted a photo of it with the crying laughing emoji and like "Can you believe someone tried to pass this off as my dog? It looks like a little kid made it."
The responses were actually all like "That's totally Rover!" and "That's so good, who made it?" and a lot of disagreements.
She went on FB and posted a photo of it with "LMAO at least she tried." A bunch of people commented to say "Is that Rover?! It's so good!" and stuff like that. It made me feel a little better.
I know that some people are too stiff and stodgy or uptight and snobby for handmade gifts, but I honestly didn't think she was one of them, since she's given them before. So I don't think it's that. I wasn't expecting her to sing my praises or anything, but the way she reacted was so mean.
This isn't the worst thing in the world to end a friendship over, right? My only regret is that I wasted all my time and effort on that embroidery.
Am I wrong to end the friendship? Is it just a matter of a difference of opinion on art?
tl;dr: My friend hated the Christmas gift I gave her and badmouthed it all over social media. I don't know if this means I should end the friendship of if I'm being too sensitive about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Haha yeah just read this one, what the hell? Super bizarre. My favorite part is all the facebook and twitter compliments, it's rare that you get validated to such a degree by people who should be on the other person's side by default.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
wow, why would you post that on social media unless you're trying to kill your friendship in a passive and lovely way

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

All the comments saying "Wow, looks just like Rover" are hilarious.

And yea, it's totally worth breaking up a friendship over. What a loving rude thing.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I was about to post the embroidered dog one haha. What a poo poo that person must be if everyone else was all "hey that looks like your dog, who made it?" While she was actively trying to get it made fun of

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I would like to see a picture of the artwork and a picture of Rover before judging the situation

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge an artwork by it's Rover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I was about to post the embroidered dog one haha. What a poo poo that person must be if everyone else was all "hey that looks like your dog, who made it?" While she was actively trying to get it made fun of

Reminds me of the earlier one about homemade gifts where the one niece was like "obviously bought gifts are better!!!"