Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

flyboi posted:

It's ok guys AB+ is saved thanks to the modding community http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834207462

They should've sent an poet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

flyboi posted:

It's ok guys AB+ is saved thanks to the modding community http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834207462

Incredible.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"Warning: This mod might hurt your eyes, ears or cause seizures. Not sure. It didn't happen to me during my intense testing sessions."

:allears:

I'm almost tempted.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

It's.... It's beautiful...

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm pretty disappointed and annoyed with AB+ but I have hope that a month down the line or so it'll kinda work out just like AB did before it. I'm a rather average Isaac player with around 200 hours invested and a mediocre grasp of the gameplay, so I'm probably not the litmus test for new Isaac DLC.

It sure feels like Ed just watches people like NL and whats-his-face and tries to think up things to make it harder for them. I don't think that's the majority of Isaac players tho and it just feels like a massive slog now most of the time. You either get a crazy run where poo poo dies in seconds or it's a slog all the way through. And that wouldn't be a problem if the ratio of lovely runs to awesome runs wasn't like 50:1

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regarding to the new level: I unlocked it after beating Hush, but didn't see a way to go to it? I just had the trap door and beam of light, I continued on to Sheol and Dark Room and my game ended normally.)

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
hwo do i get to new level and boss?? also why is the new character invisible and dies when i pick up item treasures

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

abraxas posted:

I'm a rather average Isaac player with around 200 hours invested and a mediocre grasp of the gameplay, so I'm probably not the litmus test for new Isaac DLC.
And yet, you loving should be. Edmund's design process is insane.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oxyclean posted:

Regarding to the new level: I unlocked it after beating Hush, but didn't see a way to go to it? I just had the trap door and beam of light, I continued on to Sheol and Dark Room and my game ended normally.)

Yeah, I dunno how to access it either. Do you have to fight Hush every trip to have the way there show up?

BTW if you're Apollyon and you see Mama Mega, EAT THAT poo poo IMMEDIATELY. It causes a massive explosion when you enter every single new room on a floor. You'll only have to finish off bosses or monsters that explode into smaller monsters. You set that poo poo off once a floor and it's easy mode.

E: vvv Can't be. Just finished Dark Room with Apo and the only thing I got was the option for a victory run.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 4, 2017

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

ChibiSoma posted:

Yeah, I dunno how to access it either. Do you have to fight Hush every trip to have the way there show up?

From what I've gathered you unlock it on your first Hush kill in AB+ and it should appear after Dark Room/Chest? Possibly only on a new run tho and not on the same run you defeated Hush in and unlocked it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ChibiSoma posted:

BTW if you're Apollyon and you see Mama Mega, EAT THAT poo poo IMMEDIATELY. It causes a massive explosion when you enter every single new room on a floor. You'll only have to finish off bosses or monsters that explode into smaller monsters. You set that poo poo off once a floor and it's easy mode.

E: vvv Can't be. Just finished Dark Room with Apo and the only thing I got was the option for a victory run.

What I've seen you get a large new door after you kill hush and the portal appears after you kill mega satan. First time I think you have to leave hush arena and come back for the door to appear

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I wanted to spend some time with this before I got in to the thread here. I'm glad to see that my complaints seem to be mostly in line with everyone else's. I feel like I'm enjoying the expansion a lot more than the rest of you but whatever.

Observations and stuff:

If you have Leo or a similar effect you can now mow down red poop without taking damage.

Angel statues can show up in the super secret room. They can be blown up and fought but the do not drop key pieces. (dumb)

I found an item called Little Horn that is a passive that gives you a chance to fire black tears that can kill unkillable poo poo like Peep's eyes. It was pretty drat good.

I got a random trinket effect while using 404 that created friendly flies but they were different colors. I got an orange fly that exploded when it hit the enemy and a white fly that didn't seem to function any differently.

EZM6 BV8Q as Lazarus will give you I Can See Forever but there is either no secret room or it is for some reason connected to the shop.

9YAD NEH9 will give you a Vis Sisters fight in Depths 1 that starts with one of the sisters on top of you for unavoidable damage.

Did you know you can get treasure rooms with no treasure now?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got to the void by unlocking it earlier in the run after beating Hush with Issac. Then I went through the holy route, beat the Chest, and the portal opened next to the giant gold chest where ??? died. I never even got any key pieces.

I died as Delirium died. He had like 1hp left, and he died when he jumped on me and my Sacrificial Knife killed him. Got the unlocks as the game over screen came up.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

hwo do i get to new level and boss?? also why is the new character invisible and dies when i pick up item treasures

All I had to do was Beat Hush and the next time you beat him a door opens in the boss room. I couldn't access it until my next playthrough though.

For anyone interested, here's a video of the final area, new boss and new ending. Spoilers, obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfR2lwjCOtE

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Weird, I immediately went to the Void after beating Mom with the new character.

Oh and the game crashes randomly when I'm fighting the final boss there too, in the process losing all my items gained through the void spacebar item, great game design right there :bravo:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't know the rule was <2 hours playtime for refund.

I'm gonna hold out and assume that Edmund is gonna actively fix a lot of the bullshit with this release.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jibo posted:

I wanted to spend some time with this before I got in to the thread here. I'm glad to see that my complaints seem to be mostly in line with everyone else's. I feel like I'm enjoying the expansion a lot more than the rest of you but whatever.

Observations and stuff:

If you have Leo or a similar effect you can now mow down red poop without taking damage.

Angel statues can show up in the super secret room. They can be blown up and fought but the do not drop key pieces. (dumb)

I found an item called Little Horn that is a passive that gives you a chance to fire black tears that can kill unkillable poo poo like Peep's eyes. It was pretty drat good.

I got a random trinket effect while using 404 that created friendly flies but they were different colors. I got an orange fly that exploded when it hit the enemy and a white fly that didn't seem to function any differently.

EZM6 BV8Q as Lazarus will give you I Can See Forever but there is either no secret room or it is for some reason connected to the shop.

9YAD NEH9 will give you a Vis Sisters fight in Depths 1 that starts with one of the sisters on top of you for unavoidable damage.

About that last one, yeah. Dick move, but seems to be a very rare occasion.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So is there any compelling reason to not immediately refund AB+

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Tetracube posted:

I feel like the game play is going to even out even if the new items aren't setting the world on fire. Ed looks like he's committed to addressing a lot of the complaints so it might get better? Also I have hope for the modding community.

I won't blame anyone that did refund immediately cause it's dog poo poo right now but if you aren't in dire need of the $7 I think waiting to see what happens is worth it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I shouldn't be surprised, but I am disappointed how few quality-of-life improvements there are. All those things on my wishlist of things they should fix to make the game more fun were ignored for the sake of making the game more difficult and frustrating. They should have called the DLC Afterthought because it seems like they didn't want to make this at all. :tipshat:

Positive Things about Afterbirth+:

- The Angel statues showing up in super secret rooms sometimes, making it easier to get key pieces. And possibly easier to get Angel Room items? Has anyone tested if the D6 can reroll a key piece into an Angel Room item that is in a super secret room?

- Apollyon is actually a good character. He himself isn't that interesting, but starting with The Void is fantastic. It also leads to streamers laughing about sucking, which is funny because I'm twelve.

- The Void (the floor) is a cool idea once you can get there, even if the method of getting there and the final boss are both way too frustrating.

- The new HUD is a feature I didn't know I wanted. I'd know a lot more about the game's mechanics if I had spent even a portion of the last two thousand hours or whatever with that up.

- The new challenges except for Ultra Hard are really fun. Provided, of course, that you get the right set of items, but that was true about nearly all the challenges in Rebirth and Afterbirth.

- The Bestiary is neat. It lets me find out things like those new big white-spot spider enemies have almost as much HP as any of the super versions of the minibosses.

Can anyone think of anything else positive about Afterbirth+?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Wugga posted:

All I had to do was Beat Hush and the next time you beat him a door opens in the boss room. I couldn't access it until my next playthrough though.

For anyone interested, here's a video of the final area, new boss and new ending. Spoilers, obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfR2lwjCOtE

That new ending seems like Same old poo poo ...

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

I'm honestly wondering if Antibirth will actually get ported now. The dev team were less than happy with AB+.

I keep seeing people say this, is there a link to a tweet or something?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jibo posted:

:psyduck:

I give up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Can anyone think of anything else positive about Afterbirth+?

It made the Antibirth devs discover their inner narcissists and go on a huge blubbering ego-trip, so now we can feel bad about playing that, too

ymmv wrt "good" tho

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

- The Angel statues showing up in super secret rooms sometimes, making it easier to get key pieces. And possibly easier to get Angel Room items? Has anyone tested if the D6 can reroll a key piece into an Angel Room item that is in a super secret room?

They don't drop key pieces in the super secret room. At least the one I fought earlier didn't.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

HenryEx posted:

It made the Antibirth devs discover their inner narcissists and go on a huge blubbering ego-trip, so now we can feel bad about playing that, too

ymmv wrt "good" tho

Guess what ended up not getting ported to AB+ as a result of said ego trip. :downsbravo:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Antibirth dev thing is being exaggerated. One of them criticized the (bugged) lack of animation on the new final boss in Discord and someone took that comment out of context on Reddit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HenryEx posted:

ymmv wrt "good" tho

What's this about?

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Beekeeping and You posted:

I keep seeing people say this, is there a link to a tweet or something?

Here's some images in my browser history I got from links posted in an Afterbirth+ stream. Dunno where they're from or their context.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

lol what a baby back bitch

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Connoisseur posted:

Here's some images in my browser history I got from links posted in an Afterbirth+ stream. Dunno where they're from or their context.

lol holy poo poo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the context is abplus is bad

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I've run into a dark secret room with a devil statue and a free devil room item. Maybe finding an angel statue or devil statue means that floor's angel/devil room switch is set the same way?

I got the funny-colored friendly flies as Apollyon, but I also had 404 at the time, so maybe I was getting the Locust trinkets effects before I unlocked them.

Victory laps don't count for unlocks, which shouldn't be a surprise. I didn't get credit for roflstomping Hush with the combination of Moms Knife and the Finger.

Cone Head seems to give you a chance to not take damage from curse doors?

Finally, having the Found HUD on with Succubus means seeing the modifier on your tears or damage every time you enter or leave the aura, which is kind of annoying.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jusupov posted:

What I've seen you get a large new door after you kill hush and the portal appears after you kill mega satan. First time I think you have to leave hush arena and come back for the door to appear

Okay yeah. Door in Hush's room. I thought it was on Chest/Dark Room. If the portal to The Void opens after Mega Satan, then I think that's the only time anyone should even think of attempting that loving garbage fire of a fight. I went in after Hush. That was a mistake.

Holy poo poo. It's literally impossible to avoid taking damage. I had Tech X and my shots just stopped working toward the end! I had to bomb the fucker to death. And given that he both warps around and zips across the screen to be on top of you faster than any enemy or boss that's ever been in the games, it wasn't easy. With no way to replenish health mid-fight and no red hearts, I beat Delirium with 1 soul heart left. I dunno if you get new items for beating him with every character. But I'll fuckin' be cheating to get those items if you do. Stressful, unfun, and unfair. Delirium exemplifies everything wrong with AB+.

Like... I get it. Delirium is Isaac slowly suffocating in the chest. I get the concept. I just think the fight itself is complete trash. I don't think The Witness is some kind of incredible battle or anything, but at least with that fight, things are fair. You can get through it without coming in at 12 hearts and being dropped to 1 by literally unavoidable things. It's artificially difficult. Mega Satan's not a great fight either, but you can beat it without taking damage if you've got decent items.

Anyone actually attempted this thing with Lost/Keeper yet?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
only had time for 2 runs on release last night (carried by the quad shot powerup both times) but keen to try more! does the new expansion work with the antibirth mod?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to do something about Deliriums angel form, it magnetizes itself to you way to hard and you can't avoid it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tetracube posted:

if you like the game you'll end up rebuying it anyway in the future after the rebalances and bugfixes roll out + the monthly booster pack content releases start and you'll be paying three bucks more for the expansion then

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
no seriously is the new character supposed to be invisible and die when i pick up an item

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
fwiw a couple of the Antibirth team are walking back their statements, and it seems like their reactions are more toward the general quality of the DLC itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/5lx9xv/antibirth_developers_suggest_in_discord_that_they/

On the other hand, this screenshot has been floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

no seriously is the new character supposed to be invisible and die when i pick up an item
No, but I know I saw at least one other person saying that he was invisible for them too, did you try reinstalling Isaac?

edit: well, first try deleting players.xml in the resources subfolder of the Isaac install folder

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 4, 2017