Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm gonna get a switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

what a fool an absolute buffoon

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm gonna get a switch

I thought you quit weed

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm gonna get a switch

Who's get'n a whoop'n?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

The Mario game is going to be a Level 1-1, Level 1-2 kinda linear platformer with no new mechanics since Miyamoto hates stories in a video game now for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Being honest I'll get a switch if it's not too expensive and has a decent Mario Kart. I'm also probably going to buy an xbone soon too though so lol.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hungry Bit posted:

The Mario game is going to be a Level 1-1, Level 1-2 kinda linear platformer with no new mechanics since Miyamoto hates stories in a video game now for some reason.

This is because 99% of video game stories are bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being honest I'll get a switch if it's not too expensive and has a decent Mario Kart. I'm also probably going to buy an xbone soon too though so lol.

your wife is an epic gamer

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I also hate stories in videogames. They were crap and then they thought they stopped being crap because they got dour and serious. Now sometimes they're crap while trying to be less serious and dour but still being kinda serious but with more colors than brown and grey.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Color Splash had some of the best dialog in any game from 2016.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

your wife is an epic gamer

Yeah, in the small bits where we actually play games she is relatively hardcore whereas I am a failed Dark Souls niche nerd type. Watching her COD skills/salt return is enthralling.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mario RPGs had fun stories but then they decided getting too creative was hurting the brand.

also people got angry over an optional storybook in mario galaxy

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm also probably going to buy an xbone soon too though so lol.

I've got an xbone, and I have to say I've not been impressed. There have only been a few games I've gotten for it, and it does a lot of annoying poo poo.

-"Installs" every game before you play it, but still requires the disc. These installs can take a very long time
-After installing a game it often immediately wants to update it also. This can also take a very long time.
-The console also likes frequently to update itself. This, you guessed it, can sometimes take a very long time.
-On multiple occasions I've had it kick me out of a game, while I am currently playing it, because it wanted to update the game. This actually hosed up a save file in a game once and I lost about 2 hours of play time.
-loving Microsoft accounts. You have to have one to use the drat thing, and for a long time it would constantly fail to recognize me with the kinnect so I'd have to log in manually. I got sick of that so I made it so one profile was always logged in by default...until the system inexplicably decided to log it out anyway (and it had been so long since I last logged in that I didn't remember the password and had to go dig through crap online to recover it). It also frequently tried to log it into a different Microsoft account owned by me that I hadn't used since college.
-The constant loving updates to the console and games are disruptive, frequently cause glitches and occasionally break things. My experience with Microsoft hardware has been consistent in this regard. I don't even remember how many different firmware updates made the Surface Pro 3 run full power for no reason until it overheated and shut itself off, and my 360 (which is the second I've had since the first was a first-wave launch console and committed suicide. At least they sent a free replacement) recently went insane and would turn itself on at random and start opening and closing the disc tray. It seemed possessed, so we unplugged it.

I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say, the thing has beautiful looking games, but is frustrating to deal with if all you want it to do is be a game box. I don't need a machine that does 50 other things, I have a PC for that (a few PCs in fact). I just want something dedicated for gaming that I can turn on, put a game in and start playing. That's what I like about older consoles and old-fashioned consoles like the Wii U. It's a game box and doesn't try to be anything else (well, not very hard anyway).

I've had the original xbox, xbox 360 and the bone, and my experience with the latest has convinced me that I don't ever need another one, which is sad to me because I really enjoyed the first two.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I really don't mind games with stories. They are usually not as deep gameplay wise as the ones completely devoid of them, but they're ok.

They also have been instrumental in making videogames appealing to different demographics and it's not like you can say Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us are bad.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Last of Us or Uncharted 4 are bad

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hungry Bit posted:

That epic Mario Bros story.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Aston posted:

The Last of Us or Uncharted 4 are bad

im not prepared to say theyre gamings ambrosia but lol dont be dumb

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kawabata posted:

im not prepared to say theyre gamings ambrosia but lol dont be dumb

You're in the Switch thread

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Hungry Bit posted:

because mario games have always been known for it rich deep story.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
TLoU has a few decent voice actors giving a middling story a better try than most VG stories get. It'd be ehhhhh in any other medium where adoptive parent/serious post-apoc stories have already been done and it's about to get proven when Logan comes out.

That said it's still about a mile out ahead of most games with stories even if it is just The Road for pretentious manbabies.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cyron posted:

because mario games have always been known for it rich deep story.

A game with personality is better than a game without.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hungry Bit posted:

Good. You don't need story in platformers. It's funny that some penguins mashed donkey kong's banana and he's super mad about it or that evil space monster stole kirby's strawberry cheesecake, but none of that story matters to the gameplay.

I skipped every single endless line of dialogue in Shantae AMA

edit: the beginning of Ori and the Blind Forest is sad as gently caress but you could skip every story bit in that game and lose nothing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

even if it is just The Road for pretentious manbabies.

i thought that was already the road

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I like story in games, they give me reason to care beyond good level design and likable characters

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I thought Galaxy 1's presentation and general style was really well done back when I played it, didn't know that was controversial.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Motto posted:

Mario RPGs had fun stories but then they decided getting too creative was hurting the brand.

also people got angry over an optional storybook in mario galaxy

Phantasium posted:

i'm gonna be super goddamn pedantic and say they had good writing, not good stories. lots of video games have good writing, the paper mario games have all had really witty, memorable writing. that doesn't mean they told a good story.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Brother Entropy posted:

i thought that was already the road

You don't have to be a manbaby for that one

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The Road is good because it led me to read Blood Meridian which is actually good. I would play the hell out of a Blood Meridian game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

writing's more important than plot

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only video game with a good story is Metal Gear Solid 2

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Silent Hill 2 had an interesting story for the time. Not great writing/acting though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thomas was Alone had the best story per dollar (SPD) of any videogame I've ever played.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Electromax posted:

Silent Hill 2 had an interesting story for the time. Not great writing/acting though.

"HOW CAN YOU JUST SIT HERE EATING PIZZA!?" is still one of my favorite lines from any video game, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Road is good because it led me to read Blood Meridian which is actually good. I would play the hell out of a Blood Meridian game.

Pfft, tell me when the next great american author, Jonathan Franzen, will be writing a game.

Speaking of which, I did heard they try to get him for Pokemon Sun and Moon, but he decline after saying he had no pokemon friends.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The only video game with a good story is Metal Gear Solid 2

This and Ace Combat 4.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would love to see them reboot Mario with a more mature story. Like maybe you rescue princess peach and right before you make love to her a sniper shot rings out and Luigi shoots her. Add some Macbeth style pathos to the story and a twist that would show a rivalry between brothers and turn the Mario franchise on its head

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

Too bad the gameplay is garbage!!!!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i think video game storytelling is still in its infancy. it can be done well, but often isn't, because mainstream media is still trying to emulate film to the detriment of all else, and the game designers and writers are frequently different people. nintendo nowadays prefers to innovate gameplay over all else, which leads to good things like splatoon's main mechanics as well as bad things like skyward sword's plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bef posted:

Too bad the gameplay is garbage!!!!

The real issue is the combat, there's some pretty decent adventure game mechanics in it. Hell, there's a few stages with almost no combat in them at all (ie; the best ones). They either needed to make the fights harder so there's more thought to be put into card selection than "which card will gently caress them all over in one turn?" or just remove combat completely. Even the real meat of the Boss fights is just figuring out which Thing you need to disable their gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real issue is the combat, there's some pretty decent adventure game mechanics in it. Hell, there's a few stages with almost no combat in them at all (ie; the best ones). They either needed to make the fights harder so there's more thought to be put into card selection than "which card will gently caress them all over in one turn?" or just remove it completely. Even the real meat of the Boss fights is just figuring out which Thing you need to disable their gimmick.

That was the exact issue with Sticker Star. All of my favorite moments were from the writing, dialogue, and puzzles (that didn't involve the stickers), but the combat was so awful that it just sapped my will to finish it. If Color Splash is more of the same, then that's not a very good motivation to try it.

• Locked thread