Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I made it to the final boss of SJ. I lasted...oh, 30 seconds. Literally her first attack killed me.

I'm Level 69 and I've been ready for this game to be over for a while now so I have had no mood for grinding or resource gathering. Big mistake I guess. I get to look forward to a nice day of both of those when I get up later.

On the bright side, I have a ton of Sources I can now use because "you'll never know if you'll need it" stops mattering when you get to the final boss.

Also I guess Gore was the Neutral representative. Weird.

I think at level 78 you can fuse Huang Long, which can just shrug off about 90% of the poo poo the boss throws at you. (It's Chaos, but keeping everyone in your team the same alignment is actually kind of a bad idea for that specific fight anyway). That plus a few other good demons should be enough to carry you through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does #FE measure up to other modern Atlus games (so including P3)?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's the best

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's got a surprising amount of mechanical depth in the session system and the game is super stylish. The characters are pretty lame so far though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How does #FE measure up to other modern Atlus games (so including P3)?

Most stylish of the Atlus games until P5 comes out over here. No demon fusion if that's your thing, all your characters have a set persona that learns new skills when you craft weapons from monster drops. Way slower battle system because of the session system. It's real cool to watch at first, but you get lots of passives that tack on extra attacks from your party, which leads to each one of your character's turns taking an extra 30 seconds whenever you hit a weakness

Also 3 party members on the field just feels like too few

Captain Baal posted:

It's got a surprising amount of mechanical depth in the session system and the game is super stylish. The characters are pretty lame so far though.

Tsubaki is the best because she's a huge dork

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah I really don't care for that three character limit, who the gently caress thought Itsuki and two other teammates was a good idea is dumb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would also strike points for no dub if Yuichi Nakamura wasn't voicing the best character in the game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Session system does kind of slow down battles in some ways, but for a lot of random encounters you can basically wipe the whole enemy party out with 1 command.

Also you can attack enemies on the field to disable them, and not initiate a battle.

The game overall has a good/weird sense of humour, it's not as dark as say Persona 3 (I haven't played 4). Everything is bright and colourful when you're not in a dungeon.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

irlZaphod posted:

The game overall has a good/weird sense of humour, it's not as dark as say Persona 3 (I haven't played 4)

Persona 4 was unbelievably bright and cheery save for all of the shadow boss encounters and nanako dying at the end/being in a coma in 2 of the endings

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It also has a really good localization, which is probably due to them being able to make rewrites without having to worry about voice acting.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kay Kessler posted:

It also has a really good localization,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

things that matter in a localization: dialogue flowing naturally, charming characterization

things that don't matter in a localiztion: editing 20 seconds of a single cg cutscene to have less cleavage, replacing a bikini with a tanktop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

besides censored gaming is yelling at people not to buy tales of berseria because they changed 5 seconds of a single cutscene in order to avoid an AO in australia, so im not exactly inclined to rely on them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what was in the cutscene

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did they slaughter a wallaby

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Super No Vacancy posted:

what was in the cutscene

A child being impaled.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

TMS, which I started playing and is pretty cool.

You motherfucker, I TOLD YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

besides censored gaming is yelling at people not to buy tales of berseria because they changed 5 seconds of a single cutscene in order to avoid an AO in australia, so im not exactly inclined to rely on them

I think it's brave that you actually watched the video.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I think it's brave that you actually watched the video.
i didnt, youtube just keeps shoving their channel in my face to the point that i had to install a chrome extension that lets you block channels from showing up in your recommendations

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Endorph posted:

i didnt, youtube just keeps shoving their channel in my face to the point that i had to install a chrome extension that lets you block channels from showing up in your recommendations

What's the name of this extension? Youtube is doing the same poo poo to me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So I made it to the final boss of SJ. I lasted...oh, 30 seconds. Literally her first attack killed me.

I'm Level 69 and I've been ready for this game to be over for a while now so I have had no mood for grinding or resource gathering. Big mistake I guess. I get to look forward to a nice day of both of those when I get up later.

On the bright side, I have a ton of Sources I can now use because "you'll never know if you'll need it" stops mattering when you get to the final boss.

Also I guess Gore was the Neutral representative. Weird.

The last boss is ridiculous and I only managed to do it by using passwords to summon low level demons that repel all elements and just letting her kill herself. There's such a huge gap between what level you can reach her at and what level you have to be at to have a chance of defeating her (which may be higher or lower depending on how your stats decided to randomly allocate themselves), and it's just like, a really not great fight.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Endorph posted:

drat, I could use that extension to block Arlo's channel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Video Blocker, it's called. It adds an option when you right click a video link on youtube to block all videos from that channel. You can also block videos with certain keywords, like 'censored' or 'sjw' or whatever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Is Beseria better than FF15 because I'm not really feeling FF15 to be honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean it depends what you're not feeling about ff15, berseria has way more of a plot and character development and stuff but it also isn't open world whatsoever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Open world is a meme and the albatross around a few game's necks so

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My biggest complaints about FF15 are the open world being poorly done and what feels like a lack of character progression. It's hard to get psyched to go exploring if I know (A) the next town over is literally just gonna be a copy pasted gas station and copy pasted motel/camper and (B) my party members won't get have any meaningful upgrades along the way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

irlZaphod posted:

who thought it was a good idea to have insta kill moves in a game where you get a Game Over if your MC dies :qq:

:atlus:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

My biggest complaints about FF15 are the open world being poorly done and what feels like a lack of character progression. It's hard to get psyched to go exploring if I know (A) the next town over is literally just gonna be a copy pasted gas station and copy pasted motel/camper and (B) my party members won't get have any meaningful upgrades along the way.
character progression in berseria is kind of weird because most of it comes from grabbing skills off of equipment sort of like FF9. you get new moves as you level but they dry out around the 2/3rds point of the game.

as for berseria, well, there's basically no exploration but the cities and dungeons feel somewhat distinct and there's at least soem side content but it's all just from dudes standing around in the cities, not from exploring the overworld. Heck there's barely an overworld. You just select where to go from a menu for the most part.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Endorph posted:

Heck there's barely an overworld. You just select where to go from a menu for the most part.

Oh gently caress I didn't know Berseria had an SMRPG style map. That's awesome, I'm getting even more hype for this game now

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is kinda random but try as I might I can't really justify buying a 3DS and then having it modded so I can play it on a bigger screen. But I really want to play SMTIV and its sequel and also the Devil Survivor remakes....

Someone told me that with the Switch coming out, I can expect these games to come to Virtual Console or to get ports to the Switch. How likely is this? It would help me quite a lot if it's at all likely....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is kinda random but try as I might I can't really justify buying a 3DS and then having it modded so I can play it on a bigger screen. But I really want to play SMTIV and its sequel and also the Devil Survivor remakes....

Someone told me that with the Switch coming out, I can expect these games to come to Virtual Console or to get ports to the Switch. How likely is this? It would help me quite a lot if it's at all likely....

We have absolutely no idea, they're doing an event for it soon where they may say but it's unlikely any good VC will exist until at least a few years into the Switch's lifecycle.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Wouldn't the 3DS be cheaper than the Switch though? It's way too early to make any predictions too. Typically I'll wait until everything is cheap then pick up new games at discounts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The average 3ds is currently 200 bucks on average, the switch is rumored to be 250.

Also literally next week is them announcing the launch games which will probably be a lot of ports.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alder posted:

Wouldn't the 3DS be cheaper than the Switch though? It's way too early to make any predictions too. Typically I'll wait until everything is cheap then pick up new games at discounts.

Buying the 3DS be simple and relatively cheap enough. It's the modding that bumps it up to unjustifiable levels for me.(I can't play a game on the little-rear end screen.) $500+ for a handheld? I don't know why PSP and Vita are so easy to get on my TV but the 3DS isn't. Or why Atlus put the Persona remakes on PSP/Vita but the SMT games on 3DS. All I know is it made my life far more annoying.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tae posted:

The average 3ds is currently 200 bucks on average, the switch is rumored to be 250.

Also literally next week is them announcing the launch games which will probably be a lot of ports.

Eh 3DS goes on sale a lot though and the Switch will be MSRP for a while yet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Buying the 3DS be simple and relatively cheap enough. It's the modding that bumps it up to unjustifiable levels for me.(I can't play a game on the little-rear end screen.) $500+ for a handheld? I don't know why PSP and Vita are so easy to get on my TV but the 3DS isn't. Or why Atlus put the Persona remakes on PSP/Vita but the SMT games on 3DS. All I know is it made my life far more annoying.

why do you need to mod it, the 3ds screens are fine

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

why do you need to mod it, the 3ds screens are fine

No handheld screen is big enough. My eyesight is pretty poo poo.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

Just get a New 3DS, then hack it and you can stream gameplay live to your PC without modding the hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you tried glasses?