Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
the league is good and cool right now and making the cavs give up lil kev or the warriors give up klay doesnt actually make games more fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

big boi posted:

then why yell obnoxiously as if you aren't

if a team has the best player(s) on the court/field/rink/etc they are more likely to win as long as the team is decently constructed. the idea that the nba is unique in this because of the two way nature of the sport is rather dumb and thinking it is an issue because of the illusion of parity annoys me greatly

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

got some chores tonight posted:

the league is good and cool right now and making the cavs give up lil kev or the warriors give up klay doesnt actually make games more fun to watch

i hate the warriors just like i hated the heat when lebron was there and it makes it more dramatic and intriguing to watch

i grew up watching jordan and the 72-10 team is my favorite team of all time and watching cleveland beat GSW in such an awesome fashion was probably one of the greatest sports moments i have ever seen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

got some chores tonight posted:

The NBA is way more boring this year because of the Warriors. Talent being spread out makes more games watchable. There are more than two teams in the league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Considering how weak the Warrior's schedule has been and the fact that they've lost most of their challenging games doesn't really make me feel like the talent is too concentrated with them. If they were blowing the Cavs and Spurs out every night I'd feel like maybe they were bad for the league but the Warriors are supposed to make bad teams look worse.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I think the NBA is pretty great this year except for my team which I hate

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I think the NBA is pretty great this year except for my team which I hate

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Random thought of the day but If I have have kids and they seem like they could be really good at sports I'm going to give them the nickname "Boo" so that if they get boo'd they are actually getting cheered.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Metapod posted:

if a team has the best player(s) on the court/field/rink/etc they are more likely to win as long as the team is decently constructed. the idea that the nba is unique in this because of the two way nature of the sport is rather dumb and thinking it is an issue because of the illusion of parity annoys me greatly

I think you're missing the point, which is that while every league is superstar-driven to the extent that the teams with more stars are more likely to win, the NBA is so superstar-driven (because of disproportionately high usage rates, etc, as other people have brought up) that bad teams are basically hosed until they luck into a top 10 player.

Edit: I actually think the NBA is great right now, but teams like Charlotte (and even Boston with IT's insane season) are pretty clearly hosed as regards a championship.

big boi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 4, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Even if the Warriors all suddenly retired tomorrow, half the league is still boring because the East doesn't matter until lebron retires

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just don't watch the Warriors unless they're about to lose. It's more fun that way. Otherwise just watch cool young teams and dream of what they could become or hate watch your own crappy team or whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Also for every super team there's a team of non-top 10 players that almost beats them that people generally seem to forget about. And then sometimes the Pistons happen.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Are the cavs big three really questionable or is this a sly way to give them rest without saying that?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
At the start of the 2014-2015 season the Warriors were tied with the 6th best vegas odds as the title favorites at 16-1. They are only retroactively considered a no-brainer because they had several players (including Curry) take a pretty big leap. Before the championship season I don't think anyone considered Steph Curry a generational player.

I think the logic here is circular. You are considered a generational talent when you make your team successful, then people turn around and say only teams with generational talents are successful. It's a chicken and the egg argument, but the reality is you don't need to look that far back at all to find a Champion that few people predicted.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
The league is great this year because Embiid is playing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Add a loser's bracket to the playoffs where non-Lebron/Warriors/Spurs teams that made the playoffs can compete for a different trophy and it's understood they're the third place team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

A thing that I've heard people complain about w/r/t NBA parity is the relatively recent phenomenon of free-agency-constructed superteams where multiple stars take deals below their value like the LeBron Heat and the Light Years Ahead Warriors. Of course the solution to that is pretty obvious (getting rid of max contracts or substantially increasing their dollar amount).

As opposed to superstar-trade-constructed superteams because small market teams had so little power to retain their guys? Or back in the day when contracts basically never expired and teams were struggling to make money so you could assemble a dynasty by taking advantage of poorer owners?

There has always been poor parity in the NBA for a various amount of reasons. The last ten years has been about average in champion diversity in comparison to the history of the sport. Maybe just the tiniest of smidgens better.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The league is great because every team is watchable. Except for the Nets. They are horrible D-League trash.

edit: Also, I just remembered that the Pacers exist. 28 out of 30 is still pretty good though.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 5, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
in nba news the nba decided to rescind two of westbrook's technicals because why not

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

TBeats posted:

Are the cavs big three really questionable or is this a sly way to give them rest without saying that?

Kevin spent most of last game trying desperately to not poo poo himself

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Even if the Warriors all suddenly retired tomorrow, half the league is still boring because the East doesn't matter until lebron retires

If Toronto can figure out a way to get Millsap then I'd put them in play. I'd still like the Cavs a little more, but that series would be really, really close.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If by close you mean a gentlemens sweep then sure

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I've been working on my smug champion fan posting, soon I'll be ready to declare this a lost season when lebron sits out a few games

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Add a loser's bracket to the playoffs where non-Lebron/Warriors/Spurs teams that made the playoffs can compete for a different trophy and it's understood they're the third place team.

In all honesty a best of 3/best of 5 between the conference championship losers on off nights between the finals would be dope as hell

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aBagorn posted:

In all honesty a best of 3/best of 5 between the conference championship losers on off nights between the finals would be dope as hell

I started writing that post sarcastically but by the time I hit post I had convinced myself that a losers/consolation bracket to the playoffs, that might have ended in an OKC/Toronto series last year for example, would actually rule (as long as the teams take it seriously).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

It's unfair some players are better than others

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Not everyone likes their job and links their personal development to it. If he truly enjoyed basketball and invented ways that it was actually important, sure, but he clearly doesn't care that much and it says nothing about him that he's not fully interested in putting in untold effort towards something he doesn't care about. I don't think people are stupid for not wanting to become the best Best Buy salesman in the world

There was in article in the Denver Post a few years back that said that Javale was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid and doesn't take medicine for it because he just doesn't want to. It definitely explains his weird mental lapses and he's athletically gifted enough to get away with not taking anything, so yeah, he probably just doesn't give a poo poo.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Shear Modulus posted:

I started writing that post sarcastically but by the time I hit post I had convinced myself that a losers/consolation bracket to the playoffs, that might have ended in an OKC/Toronto series last year for example, would actually rule (as long as the teams take it seriously).

Pretty easy to make them take it seriously: just give the winner of the game a spot in the lottery.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ChickenMedium posted:

Pretty easy to make them take it seriously: just give the winner of the game a spot in the lottery.

Ooooo

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Jesus Christ, this is a fantastic idea. Like, give them as many balls as the...5th worst team or something, and maybe don't allow them to win the first pick. Gives that large bulk of teams who are trying to decide between a)sticking with an ok-to-good team that's missing a superstar or b) blowing it up and tanking a bit some motivation to choose option a. They may have no shot of winning a ring with their current alright squad, but making the conference finals is within alot of alright team's grasp, and there is a huge potential bonus to getting there.

Tho I suppose it could lead to teams tanking to lose the Conference finals to get a chance at the lottery bonus, but that would only happen if they absolutely knew they had no chance against the other conference champ. I think teams are too competitive to do this tho.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Time posted:

No other league let's a player like Russ use 44% of possessions like that. Even the NFL has to have so much go right around a quarterback that it isn't close to equivalent. The "issue" is that with 5 guys on the court and 100 possessions for the sake of this argument, the best players come out ahead because it increases the sample size by so much more than Barry Bonds getting 5 at bats. Random chance doesn't the make the NFL or MLB a better or worse league, just more random

*Imagines if 2004 Barry Bonds got to take every at-bat for a game*

"Aaaand at the 7th inning stretch it's the Giants 67, the Dodgers 2. We'l be back after this commercial break" :supaburn:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Chauncey Billiups made a great comp on Nba countdown: CJ Mccollum plays offense just like Joe Dumars, just no defense

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Gonna be some vintage 08-09 cavs tonight I bet

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What caused Gary Neal to go from decent bench player to d-leaguer?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Chauncey Billiups made a great comp on Nba countdown: CJ Mccollum plays offense just like Joe Dumars, just no defense

That would be a good comp except CJ McCollum is already much better offensively than Dumars ever was.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Papercut posted:

That would be a good comp except CJ McCollum is already much better offensively than Dumars ever was.

Do you want to loving fight me dog? You want to squabble ?? you want to square up with me kid???

He was using video to show show how CJ uses his dribble moves to get to his favorite midrange spots on the floor in a very similar style to Joe Dumars, not saying they're identical players. A player comp is about style, look

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ahahahhahahahaha

https://twitter.com/UpTheThunder/status/816803670335639555

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Incidentally I was checking out the SportVU miles run per game stat and CJ McCollum is way up at the top. (I was actually thinking Bev would be up there, but apparently not).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

What caused Gary Neal to go from decent bench player to d-leaguer?

He was a System Player in the non hyperbolic sense of the term. I remember arguing with some dude about how he was definitely not a good use of the Rockets MLE, and would not keep up his production from being on the Spurs.

Funnily enough, he'd probably be a good fit on the Rockets now. He kinda burned a lot of bridges though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

lmao

• Locked thread