Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Moddington posted:

Absolutely everything, it's as if your minions each have a copy of it equipped.

Oh, that opens a few possibilities...
So what would be a nice boost for lets say animate weapons?

Chernobog for fire damge?
Old ones Ward for phys?
Mutewind for increased chaos damage?

Since minions seem to count as allies, what about a Victarios for charges on kill/hit?
If you have a shitload of weapons, and each has a 5% chance to give a frenzy charge to all other weapons on each hit, wouldnt that make for a nice overall damage boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Are there any tables or guides that provide a general guideline of what stats I should have at various points in the game?

Like "as a Marauder you want to be level X with Y health, Z armor, and N damage for Cruel Act X"

I'd rather not go off of a specific build but would still like to figure out where I'm going wrong.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Not really.

Player level: you should be fairly close to to the monster level, assuming you're on the main path (side areas get quite the bump in Cruel and especially Merciless)
eHP: As much as you can
Armor: High numbers good
Damage: Tooltip damage is only useful if you're comparing with the exact same skill (i.e. "is this weapon actually an upgrade?", "how much do I lose if I trade this support gem for another one?", etc.)

Basically, if you're getting one shot, fix your defenses (don't forget resistances in later difficulties!). If trash takes a long time to kill, fix your offenses.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Oh, that opens a few possibilities...
So what would be a nice boost for lets say animate weapons?

Chernobog for fire damge?
Old ones Ward for phys?
Mutewind for increased chaos damage?

Since minions seem to count as allies, what about a Victarios for charges on kill/hit?
If you have a shitload of weapons, and each has a 5% chance to give a frenzy charge to all other weapons on each hit, wouldnt that make for a nice overall damage boost?

Victarios should give you and your minions max frenzy and power charges pretty much all the time, and honestly its a bit of overkill with Severed in Sleep/United in Dream in the game now. You don't really need it. I'd recommend a beefy es shield with life on it for eb/mom instead. Animate can get quite expensive in the manas.

e - try not to go over 100 weapons or you will get quite laggy. The more damage auras you run the more laggy it can get.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 4, 2017

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

Are there any tables or guides that provide a general guideline of what stats I should have at various points in the game?

Like "as a Marauder you want to be level X with Y health, Z armor, and N damage for Cruel Act X"

I'd rather not go off of a specific build but would still like to figure out where I'm going wrong.

A rough guideline is you want 1200 hp per difficulty (so 1200 by the end of Normal, 2400 by the end of Cruel, and then as much as you can get from Merc onwards. Ignore if you are ES-based but if you are, you probably don't need guidelines since you should know what you're doing). You want to have your resists maxed at 75% (after the difficulty penalties) as much as you can from cruel onwards, although it's not always going to be possible. Levelling uniques like Goldrim help a lot.

Don't worry about armour and evasion until you hit endgame - HP and resists are much more important.

Damage is a bit different - skills have wide variance in how much their DPS tooltips accurately reflect actual damage output and effectiveness. But you should be killing white monsters in 1-2 hits for most builds most of the time.

You can tell what level you need to be by the zone - you generally want to be at or 2-3 levels below the zone you're in. Look at the information in the top right of the map to see the zone monster level.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

How do Animate Weapon builds start rolling / get the first kill(s) to drop weapons? How do they handle bosses without adds?

I'm just not grokking how it works!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
You literally just bring a handful of identified weapons with you into a new map/arena, drop them on the ground and animate them. You can get some pretty powerful minions if you animate some decent rares/uniques.

e:I think one of the bigger streamers is running an animate weapon build right now. Could probably get a sense of how they do it a bit better than my description.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
2-3 levels under zone? Guess I'm doing it wrong being 7 under zone? Most speed racers or fast levelers seem to be in the 5 range.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If you can handle being that far underleveled you probably didn't need to ask the question MisterZimbu did in the first place.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

whypick1 posted:

If you can handle being that far underleveled you probably didn't need to ask the question MisterZimbu did in the first place.

What's the min/max best level to be under a zone? Sometimes I am like 10 levels under and then the exp is garbage and I have to go farm a spot for a level or two. Not to mention it starts to get real dicey. I think I skip too much when leveling.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What's the min/max best level to be under a zone? Sometimes I am like 10 levels under and then the exp is garbage and I have to go farm a spot for a level or two. Not to mention it starts to get real dicey. I think I skip too much when leveling.

in normal 7-4 is good, in cruel/merc 2-4

a good way i've found is if you're 7 below, the next time you get to a level grind zone like ledge or docks or lake to grind up within 2 of zone then continue on

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

http://pathofexilebuilds.com/exppenaltycalc.php

quote:

At level 58, you will gain 54% experience from monsters of level 68.

You will gain 100% experience from monsters of levels 52 through 64.

tl;dr: Dont be 10 levels under.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'm trying to decide what my last build of the league will likely be, after having done ED, howa ST, cwc vortex, and blade flurry... Right now it's a tossup between Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone (on either a Raider or Pathfinder) or a SRS with United in Dream.

Anyone have any feelings on either? I've seen enough people doing the cyclone in end-game to feel comfortable that it can manage - but haven't seen nearly as much SRS to make an informed decision.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

devilmouse posted:

I'm trying to decide what my last build of the league will likely be, after having done ED, howa ST, cwc vortex, and blade flurry... Right now it's a tossup between Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone (on either a Raider or Pathfinder) or a SRS with United in Dream.

Anyone have any feelings on either? I've seen enough people doing the cyclone in end-game to feel comfortable that it can manage - but haven't seen nearly as much SRS to make an informed decision.

Do united dream with animated weapon totem. It's op as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osGuaIsoO5w

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

whypick1 posted:

Your gem setup is bass-ackwards. Your 4L should be SR - CWC - CD - Elemental Focus, then LL/FP on the 2L (or maybe ConcE/FP if you can get by with just the leech from WM).

Spell Echo doesn't do anything in your setup (only work for manually casted non-channeled spells) and LL/FP don't work with SR because it doesn't hit.

Thanks again! Huge boost from shuffling with this advice.

I don't quite know how to account for dropping FP, but replacing FP/Spell Echo with ConcE/EF was a 150% boost to the ice storm tooltip (~1400 to ~3400). I burned a bunch of chrom to get the 1 red socket on the 2L, still have LL there but I'll try a few maps without it to see how it goes.

Defensively, should I be figuring out a way to get Vaal Discipline? I already have 2 CWDT setups, wouldn't bee too bad to add a third.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Holyshoot posted:

Do united dream with animated weapon totem. It's op as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osGuaIsoO5w

Ha. I audibly snorted out loud at this video. This is the build, yeah? https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1745825

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

I don't quite know how to account for dropping FP, but replacing FP/Spell Echo with ConcE/EF was a 150% boost to the ice storm tooltip (~1400 to ~3400). I burned a bunch of chrom to get the 1 red socket on the 2L, still have LL there but I'll try a few maps without it to see how it goes.

Defensively, should I be figuring out a way to get Vaal Discipline? I already have 2 CWDT setups, wouldn't bee too bad to add a third.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/damfan/characters
Check RubIcyHotOnIt for my SR-CWC-WI character.

How is your LL? I've been thinking of replacing my Vaal Discipline with something else since I never seem to need it due to good leech.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

pork never goes bad posted:

How do Animate Weapon builds start rolling / get the first kill(s) to drop weapons? How do they handle bosses without adds?

I'm just not grokking how it works!

zxqv8 posted:

You literally just bring a handful of identified weapons with you into a new map/arena, drop them on the ground and animate them. You can get some pretty powerful minions if you animate some decent rares/uniques.

e:I think one of the bigger streamers is running an animate weapon build right now. Could probably get a sense of how they do it a bit better than my description.

White weapons are fine. But yeah drop a few, let them get the first couple kills then its off to the races. By the time you reach a boss you should have 50+ weapons around you, pop vaal haste and a flesh offering then run at the boss.

devilmouse posted:

Ha. I audibly snorted out loud at this video. This is the build, yeah? https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1745825

Yep thats him.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got up to 75 and got my Atziri's Disfavour on my warchief totem guy (CiaphasSA_Cohen) this morning. Still plenty of upgrades to do obviously but he's running riot easily through T12 and T13, so I'm looking forward to going further.

Some questions:

- Should 6Ling my Belly be a priority, or should I get a Kaom's Heart instead and shuffle gems around? I obviously have a couple spare slots for hatred and herald and could just ditch AA. If I get Kaom's, should I 6L the axe?
- Speaking of 6L, do the odds of getting a 6L favor using Fusings or giving 1500 to Vorici?
- I'm thinking of getting Taste of Hate and Lion's Roar to replace the stibnite and quicksilver flasks. Good idea? (I know, mana flask, but warchiefs are hungry at my reservation so I run out sometimes--plus I could put staunching on it)
- Do I want Voidheart? I have no idea how much of a contributor bleeds and poisons are.
- Some forum post thinks I should be using Poison support instead of Added Fire on warchief. Yay/nay?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to use scorching ray against breaches? I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble surviving (life build with Kaom's heart, running temp chains on blasphemy plus a witchfire with dual curse node) any time I pop one because I'm stuck in place for half a second or so any time I want to wave the windshield wiper.

Do I just need more cast speed to make the wiper blades go faster?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

- Speaking of 6L, do the odds of getting a 6L favor using Fusings or giving 1500 to Vorici?

The point of the Vorici stuff is you're paying him more than the statistical average get the same result rolling it on your own in exchange for the guarantee that you actually get said result. There are plenty of people who've sunk 2k+ fusings into something without a 6L, while some lucky bastards do it in under 100. Depends on how much RNGesus likes you. IIRC the average is ~1200.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Got up to 75 and got my Atziri's Disfavour on my warchief totem guy (CiaphasSA_Cohen) this morning. Still plenty of upgrades to do obviously but he's running riot easily through T12 and T13, so I'm looking forward to going further.

Some questions:

- Should 6Ling my Belly be a priority, or should I get a Kaom's Heart instead and shuffle gems around? I obviously have a couple spare slots for hatred and herald and could just ditch AA. If I get Kaom's, should I 6L the axe?
- I'm thinking of getting Taste of Hate and Lion's Roar to replace the stibnite and quicksilver flasks. Good idea? (I know, mana flask, but warchiefs are hungry at my reservation so I run out sometimes--plus I could put staunching on it)
- Do I want Voidheart? I have no idea how much of a contributor bleeds and poisons are.
- Some forum post thinks I should be using Poison support instead of Added Fire on warchief. Yay/nay?
Short form: 6l your Disfavor, get a Kaom's, run the Poison gem instead of Voidheart and get a good ring instead. Poison is a ludicrous amount of extra damage, and Voidheart's bleed does nothing if you're using Disfavor, which is kind of the point.

tl;dr dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm thinking of doing a CWC build focused around chaos damage. It would be a LL build.

Either Wither/CwC/Bladefall/Added Chaos/Controlled Destruction/Void Manipulation, or maybe Blight? Blight and EK instead? gently caress if I know. Probably gonna use my United in Dream and DW with a Consuming Dark.

Or I could do the CWC skelly build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Short form: 6l your Disfavor, get a Kaom's, run the Poison gem instead of Voidheart and get a good ring instead. Poison is a ludicrous amount of extra damage, and Voidheart's bleed does nothing if you're using Disfavor, which is kind of the point.

tl;dr dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Sounds like a plot. I can give the Belly back to the meatball character this way.

6Ling the axe scares me though, at least via RNG, but I don't think I can afford the 1500 Fusings required to guarantee it right now (like 9.5ex? I'm down to about 7, plus maybe one and a half from other currencies), so 5L it shall remain for a time. I'll replace the Added Fire with Poison support tonight.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds like a plot. I can give the Belly back to the meatball character this way.

6Ling the axe scares me though, at least via RNG, but I don't think I can afford the 1500 Fusings required to guarantee it right now (like 9.5ex? I'm down to about 7, plus maybe one and a half from other currencies), so 5L it shall remain for a time. I'll replace the Added Fire with Poison support tonight.

A 6 socket disvour goes for min 8ex, and a 6l goes for 13ex. Sell your 6 socket and buy a 6link.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

6Ling the axe scares me though, at least via RNG, but I don't think I can afford the 1500 Fusings required to guarantee it right now (like 9.5ex? I'm down to about 7,
poor, poor child, my wallet bleeds for you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just making the observation man!! t:mad:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Just making the observation man!! t:mad:

yeah, through a loving monocle

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I'm at 74% block chance right now. Should I get the last 1%, like is it just 1% or does it work like elemental resists where it's weighted more?

I'm doing a max block SRS that still has lots of killing power. Currently 74% block and 75% spell block with bone armor and lazhwar's.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If you can be capped, great. That 1% is just 1% though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah, through a loving monocle

Never did figure out how people wore those, they look mighty uncomfortable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

damnfan posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/damfan/characters
Check RubIcyHotOnIt for my SR-CWC-WI character.

How is your LL? I've been thinking of replacing my Vaal Discipline with something else since I never seem to need it due to good leech.
Jealous of the ES on that tree, mine seems to spend stupid amounts of time on travel nodes. I'm running an extra curse with the Doedre ring, LL is held at a low level since I'm not sure where my strength will end up once I've got another Brute Force. Last night I was tanking Carnage hits and LL kept up, but he was also melting before a second hit landed.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

If you can be capped, great. That 1% is just 1% though.

It's really not though. Just like resists each % of block you get is better than the last. Going from 0% to 1% block reduces the chance you will be hit by 1%. Going from 74% to 75% block reduces the chance you will be hit by 1/26th or almost 4%.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cinara posted:

It's really not though. Just like resists each % of block you get is better than the last. Going from 0% to 1% block reduces the chance you will be hit by 1%. Going from 74% to 75% block reduces the chance you will be hit by 1/26th or almost 4%.

Is this really the case? I get the idea that 74->75 reduces by 4% but isn't that 4% of an already much-reduced number (by virtue of the previous 74%), making the absolute amount of extra blocked attacks/elemental damage resisted for each percent the same?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2017

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's true for resists since the game is balanced around the baseline of characters having maxed resists in Merciless. Blocking might be different depending on what your other defenses are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess it depends on what point in those defenses/resists a given attack stops outright killing you.

I was good at math, once... :(

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's simple math, the same way resists work but instead of damage reduction it is damage avoidance. If you have 50% block you're getting hit by 50% of attacks. With 75% block you're getting hit by 25% attacks, or half as many attacks as you were previously getting hit by. The first 50% does as much as the next 25%, and it would only take another 12.5% to halve that and so on.

It has nothing to do with your other defenses, block is its own stat not combined with any other form of avoidance or reductions. There's a reason these stats have caps, they scale in a linear way and that is dangerous when it comes to damage reduction/avoidance.

EDIT: To clear it up, yes you're reducing the base number of attacks you're being hit by the same amount each %. But you have to consider the value you already have and the damage you are already taking. You are not comparing block as a whole to something like armor, you are comparing one value of block to another. So that next point of block is 4% less chance of being hit, if you had zero block it would only be a 1% less chance of being hit.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't care about armor unless you have 5k+ imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yep. Block, like resistances, are more effective every point you stack up. Which is why in the old days, people could stack up ele resistances to 100% with flasks and passives and saffell's.

• Locked thread