Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm at a point where my '05 Infiniti G35 needs more money in repairs than it's worth, so I'm looking at a replacement. To use the OP template:

Proposed Budget: under $25k
New or Used: used
Body Style: sedan or 4-door hatchback
How will you be using the car?: daily driver / commuter (mix of city and highway driving in Austin, TX)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): yes
What aspects are most important to you?
  • plenty of interior room for the driver (I'm 6'4" / 205lbs, so mostly leg and headroom)
  • decent gas mileage, say 20 city / 30 hwy or better
  • ability to sell for about $12-15k in about two years
  • reasonable maintenance costs

I have it generally narrowed down to 2014/2015 editions of the Audi A4, BMW 320i or 328i, Lexus IS250 or CT 200h, and MB C300. I've yet to test drive any of these, so I may end up hating them all :downs: Since German cars and "reasonable maintenance costs" don't really belong in the same sentence, I'll be looking for cars that have at least 1 year left on the mfg warranty. I've pretty much written off Infiniti (because the newer models feel cramped) and Acura (I just couldn't find a model that looked interesting).

The most sensible choice of the bunch is probably one of the Lexuses. The potential resale value of the CT200h is (in my opinion) questionable, which probably points to the IS as the presumptive winner. Aesthetically speaking, I'd prefer the Germans, but I've also heard enough horror stories about how much their repair costs. But if I can find a BMW with 2 years left on the warranty, I'd consider it.

So, am I missing anything obvious, or is the wishlist and price point too optimistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If it makes a difference to you, nowadays you can often get a non-luxury-car brand with more gizmos then you'd get on the luxury car brand at that price range...so it depends on if you're more interested in the luxury prestige or the gizmos when you answer "yes" to "Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I'm at a point where my '05 Infiniti G35 needs more money in repairs than it's worth, so I'm looking at a replacement. To use the OP template:

Proposed Budget: under $25k

• ability to sell for about $12-15k in about two years

This reads as you want to spend $10,000 to own a car for two years. What you want is a lease with something that caps your "wear and tear" cleaning costs. $416/month in lease gets you a hell of a brand new luxury car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offers.html for example, that is advertised so the deal can only get better from there.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thermopyle posted:

If it makes a difference to you, nowadays you can often get a non-luxury-car brand with more gizmos then you'd get on the luxury car brand at that price range...so it depends on if you're more interested in the luxury prestige or the gizmos when you answer "yes" to "Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?".

I suppose the question from the OP was the best catch-all, but it's not so much the gizmos or prestige as it is the fit and finish of the car. I think those still match up best with luxury brands. My 12-yo car still feels better than many recent Toyotas and Nissans I've driven. Maybe I just drove crappy ones? I've certainly babied my G35, and if it weren't for the ABS pump/controller crapping the bed, I'd probably drive it for a good while longer. The cabin is spacious, layout is a bit old-fashioned but uncluttered, and I went a good 100k miles before I started noticing some (still minor) squeaks and rattles.

I'm happy to entertain non-luxury brands, if you can think of something that would be along those lines. Strictly speaking about the tech/gizmos: power seat(s), Bluetooth, AUX input, and a USB charging port are top priorities, with SiriusXM bringing up the rear. And you're right: other than the power seats, I've seen those features in econobox rentals these days.

H110Hawk posted:

This reads as you want to spend $10,000 to own a car for two years. What you want is a lease with something that caps your "wear and tear" cleaning costs. $416/month in lease gets you a hell of a brand new luxury car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offers.html for example, that is advertised so the deal can only get better from there.

You're correct, leasing did come up as an idea too. While I haven't written it off, it has two strikes against it:

1) I live in TX, where the lease gets taxed the full vehicle purchase price (and not the lease portion of it), and
2) More importantly: there's a nonzero possibility I'll be moving out of the country in a couple of years. While I can negotiate a lease length to be something other than the typical 36/39-month term, I just don't like the idea of being "under contract" if I have to up and move my rear end to Germany. I feel that selling a car would be easier.

So yes, that's worth looking into as well. Just somehow... riskier?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Trabant posted:

You're correct, leasing did come up as an idea too. While I haven't written it off, it has two strikes against it:

1) I live in TX, where the lease gets taxed the full vehicle purchase price (and not the lease portion of it), and
2) More importantly: there's a nonzero possibility I'll be moving out of the country in a couple of years. While I can negotiate a lease length to be something other than the typical 36/39-month term, I just don't like the idea of being "under contract" if I have to up and move my rear end to Germany. I feel that selling a car would be easier.

So yes, that's worth looking into as well. Just somehow... riskier?

Everything is negotiable, including a lease. You can get a 24 month lease, you can potentially return it early, and you can use the up-front tax liability to complain about your payment price / residual value being too high/low respectively. Or have them roll it into the lease payment. The big drawback in your scenario is if you are in country for 25 months on a 24 month lease. That is a month of renting a car. If you have to ship off on a months notice then selling a car could put you in the hole just as easily. Relying on the residual value of a vehicle when it's not in writing is a big risk.

I would just go to a dealership and chat with the guy. Say you need a car you don't want to worry about for 2 years but because you are a special snowflake you really need to know what happens if you move to Germany and have to drop the keys off early.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lease something the manufacturers are desperate to move that will be ok for the first 2 years of its doomed life but they'll cut you a nice deal on. How do you feel about Fiat 500s?

e: upon looking it seems those shitheaps don't have powered seats. I know Mazda3s do but they're not difficult to move off lots because they're good cars. Maybe look at Hyundais.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 5, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Take a look at a used ES300h from Carmax. Seems to check off most of your boxes (and I'm sure that it'll completely ruin you going forward because it can have ventilated seats).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
OK, you've convinced me to re-examine the lease possibility. That certainly opens up more possibilities!

IRQ posted:

Lease something the manufacturers are desperate to move that will be ok for the first 2 years of its doomed life but they'll cut you a nice deal on. How do you feel about Fiat 500s?

Am I crazy in thinking that'll be the case with the BMW i3, esp. once the shine is off the '17 model in a month or two? That one was an out-there candidate (because a guy I know has it and raves about it) that definitely doesn't fit in with the rest of my list and made no sense as a used car purchase. But as a lease... maybe?

Phone posted:

Take a look at a used ES300h from Carmax. Seems to check off most of your boxes (and I'm sure that it'll completely ruin you going forward because it can have ventilated seats).

Will do. I seem to remember writing them off because they were above my $25k price point, but I'll take another look.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
In the market for a new car to supplement my old Volvo wagon. I want to buy something nice and newish and get an insurance per mile plan on it. I don't plan on driving this more often than every weekend, so ill be putting low mileage on this every year.

Would it be a good idea to buy a certified BMW 3 series? Something within the past couple years and under 30k miles on it? Prices seem to range in the low 20s. I figure it'd be nice, and would last a while since I wont be driving it hard at all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

In the market for a new car to supplement my old Volvo wagon. I want to buy something nice and newish and get an insurance per mile plan on it. I don't plan on driving this more often than every weekend, so ill be putting low mileage on this every year.

Would it be a good idea to buy a certified BMW 3 series? Something within the past couple years and under 30k miles on it? Prices seem to range in the low 20s. I figure it'd be nice, and would last a while since I wont be driving it hard at all.

You can get pretty low rates on an extra vehicle. (># of drivers in the home.) I pay $552/year to insure my third card. Make sure to at least quote your primary carrier, let them know your annual estimated mileage is under whatever their low miles threshold is, and that it is for pleasure use only. Also a BMW will still find a way to suck money from you unused.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

You can get pretty low rates on an extra vehicle. (># of drivers in the home.) I pay $552/year to insure my third card. Make sure to at least quote your primary carrier, let them know your annual estimated mileage is under whatever their low miles threshold is, and that it is for pleasure use only. Also a BMW will still find a way to suck money from you unused.

I figured, but I wanted something 'nice', and keep the money suckage as low as possible. I know ill have to pay more for BMW repairs, but it shouldn't be as much as if I was putting a ton of miles on it every year.

Any other suggestions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saint Celestine posted:

If you really don't plan to drive it much, why not get something actually fun and interesting?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Saint Celestine you'll find that a lot of people here talk a lot of poo poo about the current BMW 3 Series, not least of which are the goons in the BMW thread. I guess they have their reasons.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

I figured, but I wanted something 'nice', and keep the money suckage as low as possible. I know ill have to pay more for BMW repairs, but it shouldn't be as much as if I was putting a ton of miles on it every year.

Any other suggestions?

Oh still get it, just know that it will still find a way to surprise you. Or get a Z4.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Definitely buy a 2WD truck then, they're way cheaper.

I would buy a true half-ton rather than a Colorado, myself.

Sorry to come back to this so late, but what half-ton 2wd truck would you guys recommend?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you really don't plan to drive it much, why not get something actually fun and interesting?

Like what?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Seriously considering driving 100+ miles to test drive and buy this Outback:

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/4S4BRBGC1D3312807/2013-subaru-outback/92020/

Here is the carfax:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=4S4BRBGC1D3312807&csearch=0&partner=GAZ_0

Any red flags standing out to you guys? Is 22k miles a year too much?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Saint Celestine you'll find that a lot of people here talk a lot of poo poo about the current BMW 3 Series, not least of which are the goons in the BMW thread. I guess they have their reasons.

FWIW, I love my old 2004 330ci and it hasn't been nearly as bad on maintenance and upkeep as people seem to think. But it definitely requires more attention and maintenance schedule adherence than a Toyota or whatever. That said, I still would only recommend one to a car enthusiast who is willing to put up with the quirks, since most people think having to do scheduled maintenance like brakes/tires or a water pump means a car is "on its last legs".

But mine is also one of the last BMWs that isn't a turbocharged, totally computer-controlled machine that requires recoding for every drat thing. Granted a lot of new cars are insanely more complex and computer-controlled than cars from 10 years ago, but for example on the new BMWs you have to recode the computer to replace the drat battery. Turns a $100 battery replacement into a $400 affair. poo poo like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

khysanth posted:

Any red flags standing out to you guys? Is 22k miles a year too much?

If it's kept up on maintenance, no. That's almost to-the-mile what I have on my 2013 CR-V :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guinness posted:

But mine is also one of the last BMWs that isn't a turbocharged, totally computer-controlled machine that requires recoding for every drat thing. Granted a lot of new cars are insanely more complex and computer-controlled than cars from 10 years ago, but for example on the new BMWs you have to recode the computer to replace the drat battery. Turns a $100 battery replacement into a $400 affair. poo poo like that.

While the total isn't that far off, the battery itself for my '09 Z4 is ~$200. Plus coding.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15000

It's this little nickel and dime crap that adds up to much higher repair prices on BMW's and their ilk. The parts cost more, there are simply more parts, and the computer will get mad at you if you don't speak its language.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Low 20s buys you a hell of a lot of gently used car. I assume when you're looking at low 20s you're talking about 328s, which aren't particularly interesting. Do you care about driving stick or not, and do you care about driving dynamics or not?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fyallm posted:

Sorry to come back to this so late, but what half-ton 2wd truck would you guys recommend?

I like Rams personally with THE RAMBOX but really any recent half ton is about the same.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Low 20s buys you a hell of a lot of gently used car. I assume when you're looking at low 20s you're talking about 328s, which aren't particularly interesting. Do you care about driving stick or not, and do you care about driving dynamics or not?

I prefer automatic and don't even know what you mean by driving dynamics, so I'm gonna say no.

My main uses for this will be errands and short roadtrips around the pacific northwest. My car right now is a 93' volvo 240 wagon, and i like it, but its showing its age.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Saint Celestine posted:

I prefer automatic and don't even know what you mean by driving dynamics, so I'm gonna say no.

My main uses for this will be errands and short roadtrips around the pacific northwest. My car right now is a 93' volvo 240 wagon, and i like it, but its showing its age.

Positive driving dynamics are what someone means when they say something is "fun to drive."

Nimble handling characteristics, non-puny drivetrain, not 8,000lbs, minimal body roll, stuff like that.

The opposite of the average American-focused crossover.

Most people who want a car to go from A to B (typically home to work and back) don't care about driving dynamics, unfortunately, so automakers respond by putting resources into other areas.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 5, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Don't buy a BMW if you don't nominally care about driving dynamics or owning a manual transmission sport sedan.

If you want a gently used sport sedan I'd steer you to the Lexus IS or Infiniti G or Q.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saint Celestine posted:

You really want a Lexus. ES300h should be a good fit.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

You really want a Lexus. ES300h should be a good fit.

Interesting. Price matches. I don't really know much about Lexus. Good car?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Saint Celestine posted:

I don't really know much about Lexus. Good car?

They're fundamentally just really nice Toyotas, and come with most of the same good and bad as a Toyota. And the new ones are just as ugly as new Toyotas, too, maybe more. :v:

If you don't care about driving dynamics or a manual transmission, which is what you pay a premium for on something like a BMW or Porsche, and just looking for a nice plush ride with luxury gizmos then you're the target demographic for a Lexus.

They are a bit more expensive to own and maintain than an economy car, though, since they're higher end and just generally have a lot more stuff to look after and eventually break than something like a Corolla. But as far as luxury cars go they are generally dependable.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 6, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

More reliable than most other luxury brands. The ES is the nicest Toyota Camry/Avalon that money can buy. If you want something with vaguely sporting pretensions, the IS shares most of the same virtues in terms of reliability while sacrificing some of the "driving a couch down the road" feeling.

The only reason to buy one of the nazimobiles if you don't care about performance is if you like dick measuring contests based on the brand of car you drive.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Nearly spit out my drink after hearing nazimobiles for the first time, thank you kyoon.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure that although the Camry has fold down rear seats the ES300 doesn't for some dumb reason if that matters to anyone.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like Rams personally with THE RAMBOX but really any recent half ton is about the same.
1/2 ton Rams are really nice trucks if you're using it like a car. If there is construction or work on your horizon, stick with Ford/Chevy as they have a much better work/survivability record. I honestly forgot the original reason you need a truck, so just putting it out there.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm pretty sure that although the Camry has fold down rear seats the ES300 doesn't for some dumb reason if that matters to anyone.
That poo poo really kills me. Last generation "Sport" Camry didn't come with that luxurious option either.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 6, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CHASSIS STIFFNESS

I think the dude was gonna tow a small boat and make home depot runs. In fairness whenever I've had to use Real American Work Trucks they've all been 3/4 tons.

I think you're supposed to avoid the 5.4L Ford Triton V8 (the 24-valve one) for various reliability reasons.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Saint Celestine posted:

Interesting. Price matches. I don't really know much about Lexus. Good car?

I just test drove one like a week or so back. I didn't end up getting it because I decided I wanted to spend less, but I really liked it. Good MPG, comfy as all gently caress, used 2013 or 2014 ones around 30k miles seemed like an extremely good value for the $. Would recommend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are the main differences between a Avalon (v6) and an ES 350? Say 2014 model year forward. Besides price, obv.

One of those will probably be my next car.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are there any years I should avoid?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sorry, it's been forever - what's your budget?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

What are the main differences between a Avalon (v6) and an ES 350? Say 2014 model year forward. Besides price, obv.

One of those will probably be my next car.

Longer Lexus warranty, Lexus touchpad infotainment, plus most ES trims have memory seats but only the top end trim of the Avalon does which was a dealkiller for me because basically if you wanted memory seats you were spending more money on the Toyota than on the Lexus (This may have changed at some point).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Longer Lexus warranty, Lexus touchpad infotainment, plus most ES trims have memory seats but only the top end trim of the Avalon does which was a dealkiller for me because basically if you wanted memory seats you were spending more money on the Toyota than on the Lexus (This may have changed at some point).

same engine, brakes, trans, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Been chatting through email with the internet sales team at the Subaru dealership re: https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/4S4BRBGC1D3312807/2013-subaru-outback/92020/ (price seems too good to be true so I have been wary).

This is my first time purchasing a vehicle (still driving the same car I got when I was 16 over a decade ago) so indulge my naivete.

Here are the questions I sent yesterday, the responses I got, and the followup questions I just sent now. Anything stand out as weird (other than their response to #11 lol)?

Me posted:

Here are my questions:

1. Can I have a copy of the mechanic's pre-certification inspection and the work done?
2. Did you guys buy the Outback from an individual or from an auction?
3. What is the dealership's return policy? Would need to take it to our mechanic to be checked out.
4. What is the final out-the-door cash price for this Outback? What if we decide to bring our own financing or use yours instead? Please list the OTD price for me including taxes, incentives, fees, and dealer add-ons I would be required to pay.
5. Does any new equipment come with the purchase such as tires since it is nearing 100k miles?
6. How long of a test drive can we take? Would like our local mechanic to see it but would require overnight.
7. Is there a warranty on the vehicle?
8. Has is been painted or is it the original factory color?
9. Do you have the clear title in hand?
10. Will we be provided with a complete CarFax report and maintenance history?
11. Has the car ever been in any collision that may not have been reported on the CarFax?
12. Does this particular Outback have the oil consumption problem that has been reported on many of the 2013 models?

Subaru posted:

This email certainly required a manager's attention, so allow me to help. It's a very extensive list, so I'll answer as best I can.

1. Yes
2. Don't know where the vehicle was acquired from. I can find out for you upon arrival.
3. We do not have a return policy but can accommodate a request to take it to your personal mechanic
4. Selling price + approx 10% to account for tax, title, license, documentation fees. There are a few added protection items on the vehicle, but you are certainly not obligated to purchase them if you don't see the value. I work with nearly every lender in the state, so I can get you financing or use your pre-approval.
5. All of our vehicles are safety inspected and reconditioned. See question #1
6. See question #3
7. The vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty but I would be happy to provide information on warranty packages you can purchase for additional coverage.
8. I believe it's factory paint. Would have to look at the repair order to verify
9. All titles are held at our corporate office. Upon purchase, the finance team will coordinate delivery of the title.
10. Yes
11. I'm not psychic, sir. Would have no knowledge if not reported to Carfax
12. My service manager can address that concern and provide you with any necessary information upon arrival

Now that we have come this far, when can I expect you to come see it in person?

Me posted:

Thanks for the responses. I have a few follow up questions:

Our trusted mechanic is by us in LA and we would need to have the car overnight to accommodate travel and inspection time. If this isn't possible, then we would need some sort of short-term (3-7 day) return window. Is either one of these an option?

Can you find out where or from whom the vehicle was purchased and let me know before we drive all the way down there?
We would also need to see the title before purchase, and if possible before even traveling for a test drive. If it is a salvage, for instance, we aren't interested in the vehicle.

Finally, can you run the numbers and provide an actual dollar amount for the best OTD price you are prepared to offer (including all the taxes and fees you listed).

Thanks again for your time

It's a 140 mile drive down to the dealership so I obviously don't want to waste our time.

edit- Here is the response:

Subaru posted:

Regarding the inspection by your technician, I was under the impression he was local. Please understand my concern in putting hundreds of miles on a vehicle that you may decide not to purchase. I would be more than happy to provide you with a detailed list of what our certified technicians did, and allow you to get a second opinion from someone local to me.

We do not sell salvaged title vehicles here. We are a reputable dealership, and part of a dealer group that owns 7 stores. I cannot have the title here for you to view before test drive, but can assure you it is not salvaged.

Based on the Carfax report, it is a clean, 1-owner vehicle and seems to have all of its services done locally. I see no record of auction, so this was a trade-in vehicle. It is aggressively listed at $14,400 which is my best price. Your OTD price would be around $15,980. This may vary slightly based on your particular tax rate. When are you planning on coming in? Our pre-owned inventory sells VERY quickly.

Despite them trying to get me in VERY quickly, they have had the car for sale since 11/13/16 according to the CarFax.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 6, 2017