Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

oldpainless posted:

Realtor: I found this 2 bedroom perfect for a young family. Good school and a public park down the street. What do you say?

Goon: eh what I'm REALLY looking for is something in the middle of gangbanger territory. That's where I'll feel safest.

Goon: And locks. I don't want locks on the doors. In fact, I don't even want doors, ok? I don't want to make the neighborhood think i'm some sort of impolite weirdo for shutting myself in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Goon: And locks. I don't want locks on the doors. In fact, I don't even want doors, ok? I don't want to make the neighborhood think i'm some sort of impolite weirdo for shutting myself in.

Gotta let them see that Genesis with Sonic 2 you've got hooked up.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who think everyone should be super into cooking. Their idea of an "easy recipe" involves going to four different shops for ingredients, pre-making my own coconut milk, etc. That's fine for them--they really enjoy it and that's great. I can cook, I am an adult and all, but for me it's a necessary chore like cleaning the bathroom or doing laundry. It has to be done but I take no joy in it, so anything I can do to make it easier, I'm all for. So I get "helpful" suggestions from well-meaning people who genuinely enjoy cooking and they think they're really helping because to them it's fun and easy, but to me it's even more work than I usually do. Listen, I bulk prep breakfast burritos and lunch salads, and eat popcorn for dinner, you really think I'm going to go somewhere for organic chutney and whatever the gently caress "coconut aminos" are?

I enjoy a good meal and all, but for the most part, food is food and I'm not going to worship each individual olive that makes it into my salad or anything. I wish I was more into food--hell, I wish I grew my own food--but I really just have no interest in it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Most people who are super into showing off their cooking seem to be mediocre cooks at best, and get over the top offended and elitist if you don't like it. It's almost always people who just google "Gordon Ramsay (whatever they are cooking)" and spend 15 minutes "plating" it and suddenly they are "foodies".

Unless you've been to culinary school and/or spent years perfecting a complicated dish, just stick to simple things. Simple doesn't have to mean bad.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Frostyhawk posted:

What gets me about that concept is of course the person espousing it would be from Minnesota.

My current peeve is people who take a single anecdote and apply it to an entire state/region.

gently caress you, not everyone in MN is a dipshit like that guy

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Most people who are super into showing off their cooking seem to be mediocre cooks at best, and get over the top offended and elitist if you don't like it. It's almost always people who just google "Gordon Ramsay (whatever they are cooking)" and spend 15 minutes "plating" it and suddenly they are "foodies".

Unless you've been to culinary school and/or spent years perfecting a complicated dish, just stick to simple things. Simple doesn't have to mean bad.

My husband is like this. He thinks he is king poo poo of cooking because he watches cooking/chef shows and appropriates the lingo accordingly. This also makes him an insufferable back-seat cook. When it's his turn to cook, and time for him to put his money where his mouth is, he inevitably ends up making one of the following: 1) scrambled eggs, 2) generic pasta (sauce from a jar), or if he's feeling extremely creative, 3) mac and cheese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Me and my mom (super white) got lost in LA in '96 in a VERY BAD NEIGHBORHOOD in terms of gangs and such. Everyone was super nice and helped us get where we needed to go.

Chicago isn't scary. In SUPER BAD NEIGHBORHOODS everyone is super nice.

People aren't bad.

I won't get into social/socioeconomic stuff but just yeah, people aren't bad. Absolutely no reason to be afraid.

This is really true, at least during the daytime (during night it actually can be a bad idea to be by yourself in certain areas). My job borders a pretty poor area in Memphis and my dad, who used to work near here, is always telling me "BE CAREFUL WALKING AROUND AND AVOID (BLACK) PEOPLE" and I've been working here 7 years and the worst I've encountered is people being persistent in asking for change.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Cooking: I swear to god if my bf doesn't stop just showing the food some seasoning from a distance of 6 feet I'm going to have a breakfast breakdown, stop ruining my eggs I loving love my morning eggs and I'm not going to have you make them bland and disappointing anymore, you're going to be on toast duty!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anything that "wins all the (blanks)"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

You win all of the friendly (blanks).

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"wins all the internets" is the worst one though

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Any comment thread on any website with nerds on it is a nightmare.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

This is for allllll the Tostitos®

https://youtu.be/9_xMqgnHRuM

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

This is really true, at least during the daytime (during night it actually can be a bad idea to be by yourself in certain areas). My job borders a pretty poor area in Memphis and my dad, who used to work near here, is always telling me "BE CAREFUL WALKING AROUND AND AVOID (BLACK) PEOPLE" and I've been working here 7 years and the worst I've encountered is people being persistent in asking for change.

The best part is we were lost at like 12am, and nonetheless everyone was super nice.

Honestly the only thing I worry about when I hang out with friends in "bad" (read: predominantly black or Hispanic) neighborhoods is the cops, because they are going to see a small white girl driving around and assume DRUGS or whatever. My blood pressure skyrockets if I see a coppy hidden in an alley.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Unless you've been to culinary school and/or spent years perfecting a complicated dish, just stick to simple things.
Or, cook whatever you like, just don't be obnoxious about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Or, cook whatever you like, just don't be obnoxious about it.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't cook what you want, but if you try some difficult to execute thing like beef wellington or whatever you saw at a michelin star restaurant with no training or experience in making it, it is probably going to turn out poorly. It's like people who say "i want to learn to paint" and get frustrated that they have to learn the fundamentals first instead of being able to watch a 30 minute youtube and instantly be able to paint like Rembrandt.

Experiment all you want by all means, but you aren't impressing anybody with your overly complicated food if you can't execute it. This is especially true if you are obnoxious about it, so we agree on that point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got a gift card this year, which is totally fine because I'm hard to shop for if you're not into the same stuff I am. However, it's for a store that carries only things I don't care about, and that also doesn't have any locations near where I live. And to make things worse it's a super high amount so now I have to a) be thankful but b) also go out of my way to go to a store and pick up something I otherwise would never have, and also make it something expensive and, knowing this store, overpriced. And to avoid a repeat incident, c) spend the next year loudly proclaiming how much I love shopping at amazon. Which isn't even true!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I got a gift card this year, which is totally fine because I'm hard to shop for if you're not into the same stuff I am. However, it's for a store that carries only things I don't care about, and that also doesn't have any locations near where I live. And to make things worse it's a super high amount so now I have to a) be thankful but b) also go out of my way to go to a store and pick up something I otherwise would never have, and also make it something expensive and, knowing this store, overpriced. And to avoid a repeat incident, c) spend the next year loudly proclaiming how much I love shopping at amazon. Which isn't even true!

Can you use it for online shopping at least? I still have a gift card my dad gave me two years ago because the nearest store is like 30 min away from me and also it's not quite enough money to buy anything from that store without spending a ton covering the difference (I am a poor)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My only beef with giftcards is that when you get down to an unusable amount of money left on them and it's just free money for the company to pocket. Bullshit. I should be able to go into your store with my giftcard worth $2.39 and get exactly that much cash back for turning it in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WampaLord posted:

My only beef with giftcards is that when you get down to an unusable amount of money left on them and it's just free money for the company to pocket. Bullshit. I should be able to go into your store with my giftcard worth $2.39 and get exactly that much cash back for turning it in.

I just hand it to the person behind me to use the last of it up if it's under $2. It really brightens their day and it stops the money from being wasted.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
God I have so many peeves. This one is about my gd laptop, and how it always defaults to Num Lock being off. So every time I've gone away for a bit and then come back and try to use my side number pad (which I use alot), it spazzes out because Num Lock is off, and then like randomly tabs the cursor off somewhere totally unrelated. Despite it happening >10 times per day, it always slightly confuses me before I remember that I have to manually push the Num Lock key. I've tried to change the default setting, but it didn't work. So frustrating!!

Edit: it also doesn't have a light or anything to tell me whether it is on or off. So helpful!

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Jan 5, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
When family members don't even try to hide the fact that they play favorites. A lot of people have favorites but don't make it so obvious. That's how people develop complexes later in life.

Also when there are family members you've loved and thought loved you but they turn out to be assholes who don't care.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

Can you use it for online shopping at least?
I guess but it's mostly clothes and I'd have to try those on, see them in person etc.

e: hold the press they have a huge selection of booze, I think I can make this work

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: hold the press they have a huge selection of booze, I think I can make this work

I go christmas shopping for exactly one person, and they love beer, and I love beer, so we always just swap 6 weird beers every christmas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I cannot believe people buy LASIK operations on Groupon. What kind of doctor or practice offers discount surgery for your EYES!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I cannot believe people buy LASIK operations on Groupon. What kind of doctor or practice offers discount surgery for your EYES!

Doctors in places you don't need eyes to see?

If it's for surgery on something called the Event Horizon, I advise against it.

(They really just want to be able to book 10 or whatever sessions at once, the guaranteed business is worth it for them, since the number of patients is definitely north of 10k and captures a market that wouldn't go for it otherwise)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think foodie culture is super annoying but saying only professionals should make difficult/complex dishes is completely ridiculous.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I think foodie culture is super annoying but saying only professionals should make difficult/complex dishes is completely ridiculous.

As I said in the follow-up post, that's not what I was trying to say at all. My point was that you can't expect to be able to cook at that level consistently if you don't have the fundamental knowledge/experience that professionals do. The "stick to simple things" had an implied "to start out" and "if you're trying to impress someone with your cooking skills". I'd rather have a perfectly nailed simple meal than a flawed ultra-gourmet meal you copied out of some michelin star restaurant menu.

To reiterate: my problem isn't with people trying difficult dishes, it's the obnoxious arrogance that almost always goes along with it. The type of people who can't take criticism and expect you to blow smoke up their rear end because they spent a lot of money on gourmet ingredients whether they completely botched it or not.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What yea I eat rear end is saying is don't make a goddamn beef wellington when your most successful attempt at a regular beef roast was made in a crockpot with canned soup as an ingredient. the chances are it will suck most horribly and you won't even realize how bad it is because you've go no frame of reference. Or you'll know it sucks, not want to take the blame and stop trying to cook difficult dishes at all.

Worse is when those people make you help them make the dish they can't do. All of my friends do this to me cause I used to be a professional cook and they think me helping is going magically make things better. gently caress you, you can't even cut up mushrooms properly just let me do it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

gently caress you, you can't even cut up mushrooms properly just let me do it.

I'm the person on the receiving end of this. Like I said, I can cook, I just don't care to. It's an endless chore, from prep to cooking to clean-up, just for food that will be demolished within 30 minutes. Yeah, I do meal prep and eat leftovers throughout the week, but I'm not super into it. I mention this offhand sometimes and people are like "oh you'd be good at it, you just haven't tried!" or "oh you should try this [super complicated recipe requiring nutritional yeast, endives from an artisan in Tibet, and local honey from a farmer's market that's only open for three hours in the middle of the week], it's super tasty and sooo easy!" I JUST SAID I hate cooking, and you want me to make it MORE of a pain in the rear end so I'll enjoy it?

Semi-related, I try not to be a picky eater but there are a few things I decidedly don't like--mushrooms, eggplant, and avocado. I understand that I'm in the minority here, but the stares I get and the "you're crazy! How can you not like [thing]?" gets really old after awhile. And they're always the first suggestion when I mention that I'm not a huge meat eater. I don't need to know how to cook or what's out there, people. I've been successfully feeding myself for over 30 years. I was just mentioning that I'm not a huge fan of cooking, and there are certain foods I don't particularly love.

People get really absurdly protective of avocados, man.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

California people get really absurdly protective of avocados, man.

Fixed. No other state is so obsessed with avocados. It must be a weird state pride thing, but I'm a Floridian and I wouldn't freak out if someone said they didn't like orange juice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's absurd to dislike avocado. That's like saying you don't like olive oil or butter.

Also how the gently caress does anyone dislike orange juice.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It always bothers me how the "California ____" on restaurant menus is always invariably the standard thing+avocado dumped on it. I don't hate avocados but it doesn't belong on a burger or in an omelette.

Unrelated: people who use things that aren't verbs as verbs. I don't want to "inbox" you and I don't want to "onboard" with your company/whatever. That's not the right way to use words, stop it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Unrelated: people who use things that aren't verbs as verbs. I don't want to "inbox" you and I don't want to "onboard" with your company/whatever. That's not the right way to use words, stop it.

Please do the needful.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Fixed. No other state is so obsessed with avocados. It must be a weird state pride thing, but I'm a Floridian and I wouldn't freak out if someone said they didn't like orange juice.
Okay, good to know I'm not crazy. I moved here ten years ago and I could swear this never happened on the east coast.

It always bothers me how the "California ____" on restaurant menus is always invariably the standard thing+avocado dumped on it. I don't hate avocados but it doesn't belong on a burger or in an omelette.

That drives me nuts too! I don't even bother reading the description after that.

To your second point: semi-related is when people think nouns like "workout" are verbs. "You have 24 hours in a day, take one to workout." Workout is a noun. "Work out" is what you're looking for. Yesterday I saw a post shared from a school system where they were arranging parent pickups during a snowstorm, and they kept saying things like "you can pickup your child at x place" and "please arrange to pickup your child before such and such time." This wasn't a typo; they did it four times during the announcement. These are educators.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also how the gently caress does anyone dislike orange juice.

I don't like it because it sets off my indigestion like no other.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Leavemywife posted:

I don't like it because it sets off my indigestion like no other.

Same! Guaranteed instant heartburn, even with the low acid stuff. I still drink it though! Oddly enough, I never ever used to like orange juice growing up--it's only since my mid- to late-twenties that I started enjoying it.

Maggie Fletcher, I also hate when people won't cut you some slack when you don't like a particular food item. I will eat anything under the sun, but I absolutely cannot stand cucumbers. People seriously freak out when they hear this. When I was a kid, other kids would even try to like...smear cucumbers on me or into my food because they knew I hated them so much. Fuckers!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm with you. There's nothing outright offensive about the taste of cucumbers, but the flavor is so strong it dominates the flavor of whatever you're eating. If you're eating a sandwich with cucumber on it it might as well only have cucumber on it because you won't taste anything more than vague hints of anything else.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

I'm with you. There's nothing outright offensive about the taste of cucumbers, but the flavor is so strong it dominates the flavor of whatever you're eating. If you're eating a sandwich with cucumber on it it might as well only have cucumber on it because you won't taste anything more than vague hints of anything else.

Finally someone gets it!! 😃Except I do actually find the flavour incredibly offensive as well as overpowering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cucumbers are the literal blandest food in existence how can it be overpowering?