Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

:fap: :fap: :fap:

It's pretty great, but I have a soft spot for 1) soundtracks 2) by Angelo Badalamenti, and could listen to them on repeat until the record is dust.

On another note: I bought an album off Discogs, it came today, and the back is stamped with "for promotional use only," like the poo poo we used to get at the radio station when companies still sent us stuff to play on air. Not that I really care, but does that make a record worth more or less?

I don't think it has much of an effect either way but I'd guess more only because its "rarer" in a sense? I could be totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gozinbulx posted:

I am very interested. Do you have PMs?

PM-ed you. Of the stuff you describe, I'm most interested in the African stuff. I only have Sunny Ade and Olatunje on vinyl, but I'd really love to see your take on what's been good in Africa over the years and recently.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Anyone who doesn't keep a bag of gems to balance the acoustic aura of their listening space should just stop listening to music.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
You need a coin for all your Flexi-discs :v:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Mace Bacon posted:

You need a coin for all your Flexi-discs :v:

I found a really nice flexi of some whale sounds that was in an issue of natgeo stuffed into one of the xmas/showtunes records my grandpa had.

Gonnna hang it on my wall.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SeXReX posted:

Anyone who doesn't keep a bag of gems to balance the acoustic aura of their listening space should just stop listening to music.

I hope you don't write jokes for a living.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

:fap: :fap: :fap:

It's pretty great, but I have a soft spot for 1) soundtracks 2) by Angelo Badalamenti, and could listen to them on repeat until the record is dust.

On another note: I bought an album off Discogs, it came today, and the back is stamped with "for promotional use only," like the poo poo we used to get at the radio station when companies still sent us stuff to play on air. Not that I really care, but does that make a record worth more or less?

I don't think it would ever make the record worth more unless the pressing is unique in other ways... as for decreasing the value it just depends on the person buying it and whether that bugs them or not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have some sick promo versions of Rupert Holmes records with handwritten plain white labels. Worth like twice as much as a minty regular version on discogs.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Gozinbulx posted:

I meant modern stuff mostly.

Big rear end art, posters, novelty, colored stuff, other gimmicks and a handful of artists will master for vinyl.

Collect everything on every medium. CONSUME.

Edit: I have a promo cut of Apostrophe by Frank Zappa. When I added it to discogs it had a slightly higher value. It seems to vary.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

BigFactory posted:

I hope you don't write jokes for a living.

I was about to sell out once but they wanted to press my comedy to a record using digital recordings so I didn't sign.

entirely analog master chain or bust baby

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Giga Gaia posted:

Big rear end art, posters, novelty, colored stuff, other gimmicks and a handful of artists will master for vinyl.

Collect everything on every medium. CONSUME.

Edit: I have a promo cut of Apostrophe by Frank Zappa. When I added it to discogs it had a slightly higher value. It seems to vary.

I don't think a promo stamp counts as a new release though, just like a cutout doesnt.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Would this work as far as preamps go? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025742A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=G7E33K1B5BQM&coliid=I14ATAN0DX5WIZ

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Will it work? Sure. I put one in my mother in laws setup.

If you're looking for a step up without too huge a price jump, I hear the Rolls ones and pretty good and their like ~$55 I believe. On the used market, you might be able to snag something good for a good price, like the Music Fidelity V-LPS I got for 67 bucks last month, which I'm absolutely loving.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So what's a good affordable receiver since all these I see online are like $200+ and I'm not some audiophile needing the best of the best.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What do you have to achieve? You want, like, a 5.1 (or 7.1) A/V receiver that will play 5.1 or 7.1 dolby sourround sound for your TV, in addition to playing some music sources? Or do you just want something that will take an audio source and pump it to speakers? How many inputs do you want it to handle? Do you want a built in phono stage or do you already have a preamp?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have my own question. Has anyone here used the Audio Intelligent line of cleaning solutions? They have an enzyme one and some other "super cleaners" that are supposed to be used all together in a multi step process but also some standalone cleaners. Anyone have experience with them? I'm kinda eyeing the enzyme cleaner for some particularly stubborn records in rough shape but I don't know if its all voodoo or what.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Gozinbulx posted:

What do you have to achieve? You want, like, a 5.1 (or 7.1) A/V receiver that will play 5.1 or 7.1 dolby sourround sound for your TV, in addition to playing some music sources? Or do you just want something that will take an audio source and pump it to speakers? How many inputs do you want it to handle? Do you want a built in phono stage or do you already have a preamp?

All I'm looking for is something to take the sound from my turntable and pump it out to a left and right stereo speakers set. Nothing fancy just want something that works. All I have is the turn table and speaker at the moment so is there something else besides a receiver I'll need to get as well?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hit up Half-Price, got a 12" and a 10" I knew I'd like and three 7"s I'd roll the dice on.

Also a book.

'cos it's a bookstore.

The 7"s are

Dan Padilla/Chinese Telephones - split
Rosa - Texarkana-Get-A-High-Five (no sleeve, no information on label or in mini-zine, identified by searching runout etching text)
Political Asylum - Solitary

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gozinbulx posted:

I meant modern stuff mostly.

There still plenty of stuff from those genres mastered for vinyl. Especially since everyone hopped on the bandwagon.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

All I'm looking for is something to take the sound from my turntable and pump it out to a left and right stereo speakers set. Nothing fancy just want something that works. All I have is the turn table and speaker at the moment so is there something else besides a receiver I'll need to get as well?

Get something used. A lot of people will sell older receivers for cheap because they wanted them for home theater. This stuff will still suit your purpose. Just make sure it has a "phono" input and matches the maximum wattage of your speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You really don't have to worry about matching wattage on speakers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, unless you are attempting on filling a gymnasium with two bookshelf speakers don't worry about it. At normal listening levels the power required is extremely low (we're talking like a single watt).

At extreme volumes the issue is more likely that the receiver doesn't have enough power rather than too much. An overstrained amp will clip the audio signal at the peaks which will send static to the speakers. Since the signal is really telling some magnets how to move this might physically damage them. This is actually why a lot of amps have a subsonic filter for phono stuff, because the turntable might be outputting some extremely low-frequency rumbling that would damage the speakers if it tried to reproduce it.

It's possible to blow a speaker with too much power but it's a lot harder.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RedneckwithGuns posted:

If they are unpowered speakers just get a mini stereo amp like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCA2-2X40-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B001P2VV50

Just make sure you get one that outputs enough watts to actually power your speakers (the minimum rating on the back of them).

You still need a phono pre-amp if the turntable doesn't have one built in.

PS I appreciate you still rocking a 'The Boys' avatar, one of my favorite comics of all time.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 5, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Get something used. A lot of people will sell older receivers for cheap because they wanted them for home theater. This stuff will still suit your purpose. Just make sure it has a "phono" input and matches the maximum wattage of your speakers.

Absolutely this, go hit up a local Goodwill or Craigslist or something. $50 on an older used stereo receiver will be much better spent than $50 on a lovely Pyle mini-amp.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I would say either A. like other have said, look for something used on Craiglist that has a phono input. They will all have enough power, guaranteed. or my personal preference B. Get your self a decent separate pre amp so you can use it in future setups with modern amps that dont have phono and then either get again, a used receiver/amp without having to worry if it had phono stage, or get some small but quality amp that literally is just one input with left and right speaker output.

Personally, I'm both cheap and a bit of a DIYer, so I built a really simple 30W amp using 2 TPA3110-based mono boards like this:

Those cost literally 2 or 3 dollars on Ebay if you're willing to wait on Chinese shipping

If that's not an option, again, get yourself a decent pre amp and then any small thing that will pump them to your speakers. Class D amps (like what built) will be the cheapest and sound just fine. I've never heard that Pyle mini amp posted, but I'm sure it'll do the job just fine. Use decent cables and it should sound great.

Edit: lol that Pyle claims to go all the way to 40 khz

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah I don't suggest getting the Pyle (Pyle of poo poo), it's just the first thing that came up on Amazon. Find something like it but with good reviews.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I used a small Pyle like that in a small apartment and it sounded fine with some decent speakers. Didn't have the room for my old big rear end amp so I gave that one away to make space. I wasn't going to go back to only one turntable so something had to go :)

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTAU45-...F180WSV64FHC1C8

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There used to be those $30 Sonic Impact T-Amps that people seemed to love, but they appear to have been discontinued.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boinks posted:

Yeah I don't suggest getting the Pyle (Pyle of poo poo), it's just the first thing that came up on Amazon. Find something like it but with good reviews.

I ended up grabbing https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AJR482/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because it was discounted and supposedly on par with that rolls v29 so hopefully it works.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gin and Juche posted:

I ended up grabbing https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AJR482/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because it was discounted and supposedly on par with that rolls v29 so hopefully it works.

Hmmm. I remember seeing this but not realizing it had both adjustable input impedance and gain trim. Should be a nice way to dial in your cart's compliance, though I've never seen gain trim on the more "audiophile" type pre's so I wonder why that is. I'm assuming you have an MM cart so you should be A-OK. Really curious to hear what you think of it.

In terms of amps (now that you have a pre), I kinda like this one: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta3116hp-class-d-mini-amplifier-with-headphone-amp-2-x-15w--300-3810

15W is pretty low but should be enough for comfortable room listening. Headphone amp is a huge plus, always a great way to listen.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gin and Juche posted:

Awesome, it even has a ground.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boinks posted:

Awesome, it even has a ground.

Oh do I need to get another ground wire to put it to the receiver or can I put the ground wire from the TT to it?

Cause the latter would be nice, I currently have it attached to the receiver chassis.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Hit up Half-Price, got a 12" and a 10" I knew I'd like and three 7"s I'd roll the dice on.

Also a book.

'cos it's a bookstore.

The 7"s are

Dan Padilla/Chinese Telephones - split
Rosa - Texarkana-Get-A-High-Five (no sleeve, no information on label or in mini-zine, identified by searching runout etching text)
Political Asylum - Solitary

You can send that Political Asylum 7" my way if you don't like it :hehe:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lmao what the hell was a Political Asylum release doing at a Half-Price Books?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I meant to say that this isn't essential but I always figured you'd get the best performance out of them if you match the wattage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

I meant to say that this isn't essential but I always figured you'd get the best performance out of them if you match the wattage.
That's not really a thing. As long as your amp isn't severely underpowered for what you're trying to do you won't have any problems. You can run a monster 500 watt per channel amp with tiny bookshelves without issue.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gin and Juche posted:

Oh do I need to get another ground wire to put it to the receiver or can I put the ground wire from the TT to it?

Cause the latter would be nice, I currently have it attached to the receiver chassis.

Ground goes only from TT to Pre amp, in this case. Once you have it on the pre-amp, your output signal should be clean.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeXReX posted:

I was about to sell out once but they wanted to press my comedy to a record using digital recordings so I didn't sign.

Get off the loving stage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david_a posted:

That's not really a thing. As long as your amp isn't severely underpowered for what you're trying to do you won't have any problems. You can run a monster 500 watt per channel amp with tiny bookshelves without issue.

I've been living a lie.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SeXReX posted:

keep honking, i'm reloading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wound up at a NYC Urban Outfitters and had time to peruse their vinyl section which was pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Stumbled unto these three sealed records that had a small orange sticker with 1.99 on it. Turns out that yes, two bucks each was the actual price. Not bad for some nostalgia records and that kicking rad Birdman drum soundtrack.