Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Taoists best crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Captures them pretty well, gotta admit.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

WarpedNaba posted:

Is it just me or are the Taoists the only ones that practice what they preach?

In defense of Reimu I don't think she preaches anything other than "give me donations"

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Is it just me or are the Taoists the only ones that practice what they preach?

They're purely interested in the immortality they believe they can attain through the practice of Taoism, and that's kind of bad, from what I understand? Getting superbatural powers isn't the point, I think. Taoism is weird.

I mean Miko gained her immortality by tricking Heaven into thinking she was already dead with magic, that's not really the enlightened behavior one would expect from a proper Taoist hermit.

afatwhiteloaf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 4, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So's Sanae, well some of the time. But that's because she is a good girl who doesn't want to give in to peer pressure. She still drinks with her parents though.

Byakuren on the other hand is a huge unfun loser that doesn't know how to have a good time, and doesn't realise that all of her friends want to be able to drink booze on the job like all reasonable people.

The bigger problem with Byakuren is that she's the Gensyoko equivalent of an MRA.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

afatwhiteloaf posted:

They're purely interested in the immortality they believe they can attain through the practice of Taoism, and that's kind of bad, from what I understand? Getting superbatural powers isn't the point, I think. Taoism is weird.

I mean Miko gained her immortality by tricking Heaven into thinking she was already dead with magic, that's not really the enlightened behavior one would expect from a proper Taoist hermit.

Taoism's morally grey and fairly pragmatic, it can pretty easily shift into enlightened self-interest rather than altruism. It's also enormously individual, as following a Tao you were taught (As opposed to one you followed because it fit you better) is pretty much the same as not following a Tao at all.

I mean, from what I've read, Seiga became a hermit by embodying a pretty nihilistic Te (No laws in nature, no laws state that I've gotta age and die) so yeah, mostly the only preaching in Taoism is getting people to start on their own path. Hence Miko trying lots of different avenues to coax Marisa into starting - as opposed to Byakuren constantly laying down doctrine.

e: On the other hand, you have pseudo-Taoism that mixed up with Confucianism and Buddhism and turned into some ritualistic horseshit, but eh.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 4, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

The bigger problem with Byakuren is that she's the Gensyoko equivalent of an MRA.

no

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

no he's right

"no guys it's really the youkai who are oppressed"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best part about Byak is that she's a huge hypocrite loser, who isn't fixing any problems and the youkai barely care about religion or Buddhism anyway (other than like Shou and Ichirin). Not to mention she's not even that great a Buddhist in the first place.

She's great. Less great than every other religious figure in Gensokyo. But still pretty ok.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Byakuren's good enough at the Dharma for Vaisravana, and I'm not gonna argue with that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Given she's 22 do you think at some point in the upcoming few years Akyu is going to just straight-up fuckin' die since the Children of Miare don't usually live much longer than 30

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Hell yeah

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Akyu will die only when Gensokyo exists the time vortex it's stuck in.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Given she's 22 do you think at some point in the upcoming few years Akyu is going to just straight-up fuckin' die since the Children of Miare don't usually live much longer than 30

i didn't even think about that, gosh

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The twist ending of Forbidden Scrollery is that it's Akyū who becomes a yōkai instead of Kosuzu.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

BlitzBlast posted:

Akyu will die only when Gensokyo exists the time vortex it's stuck in.

reimu and marisa literally age tho

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Couldn't tell that from the art style.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
apparently the games basically occur around the same time, in reality, as they are released. Reimu and Marisa seem to be ambiguously young children in a flashback, around 2000ish, it's been 17 years since then, they're probably at the very least in their mid-20s by now. given it's Gensokyo it's probably safe to say their lifespans are sort of extended and slowed down even though they're supposed to be normal humans aside from the magic, and from a cursory glance at the art as it's evolved, both by ZUN's standards, and the fighting games, yeah I can see how they've aged at least a little bit in that time

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's easier than see with akyuu who has clearly grown since her first appearance.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i think, i am going to read some of the manga things, since they are all there on dynasty

UPDATE: i am liking Wild and Horned Hermit so far

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 5, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Reimu's probably got a bit of Youkai in her, and we don't know how far Marisa's gone with her age-ceasing magic bit (Assuming any of the Witches bar Byakuren give a poo poo about helping her out) so you could argue that there's no need to worry about how they age.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Reimu's probably got a bit of Youkai in her, and we don't know how far Marisa's gone with her age-ceasing magic bit (Assuming any of the Witches bar Byakuren give a poo poo about helping her out) so you could argue that there's no need to worry about how they age.

I don't think so. If Reimu was part youkai she'd probs have to quit the job. Or exterminate herself.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Or, say, her parents?

I don't think there's any reason why someone that's part Youkai can be barred from miko duties. I mean, look at Rinnosuke: Part youkai, part human, all dweeb.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
It's gonna be weird when Reimu looks older than Yukari in Touhou 40.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Reimu and Marisa do feel like twenty-somethings, imo.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
If Reimu was part youkai, you would think that there would have been at least some hints about it already.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Don't the pixiv crowd joke about them being Christmas cakes?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Clarste posted:

They pretty much act like college students so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Because of the alcohol and partying, right?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't the pixiv crowd joke about them being Christmas cakes?
Is that repugnant little bit of slang still current in Japanese? I'm pretty sure it's not mainstream anymore, but I wouldn't put it past anime nerds to keep using it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Wait a second, just what is the legal drinking age in Gensokyo? The earliest confirmed instance of Reimu and Marisa drinking I can think of is Perfect Cherry Blossom, and they must have been under 15 at that point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm a Christmas cake, and so are you

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

Wait a second, just what is the legal drinking age in Gensokyo? The earliest confirmed instance of Reimu and Marisa drinking I can think of is Perfect Cherry Blossom, and they must have been under 15 at that point.

It's when you are old enough to beat the crap out of whoever holds the booze.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

There's no legal authority to enforce it, so the answer is "whatever Yukari thinks would be funny".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yukari is probably against any minimum drinking age.

After all, drunk kids are easy prey for a youkai.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
was there even a minimum drinking age in Japan circa the late 1800s

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Actually now that I think about it Marisa handling poison and mercury at the tender age of 12(?) is probably more troubling. In conclusion: Congratulations Reimu and Marisa for making it past 20.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually now that I think about it Marisa handling poison and mercury at the tender age of 12(?) is probably more troubling. In conclusion: Congratulations Reimu and Marisa for making it past 20.

Also consider where Marisa lives.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
By never actually stating how old they are, Zun is able to keep Reimu and Marisa in a state where they are both 12 and 22 simultaneously, completely independent of any parental influence and running their own small businesses and at the same time playfighting with fairies by drawing pretty patterns in the sky and never talking to boys. They will remain that way for all time and so will everybody else.

By far the worst bit of Forbidden Scrollery was the revelation that Marisa is shorter than Kosuzu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait wait I haven't followed Touhou in like, 8 years. They're aging???????